ADVERTISEMENT

It has been a very long time since I posted here.

With_a_Rebel_Yell

National Player of the Year
Nov 19, 2009
As the title says I haven’t been here in a while, and apparently my username is now racist for some reason. I still watch games except for the year I boycotted the Menzie’s hiring.

Can someone just sum up what the problem is? How is it possible that it all went so wrong? Are we lagging behind in facilities? Are we really just THAT bad at finding a coach? 10 years is a bit much for no post-season hoops.

I happily admit that I was wrong about wanting Kruger Sr. gone when I did, he deserved whatever he wanted and I’m sorry for not realizing that, but there has to be a systemic problem that I’m missing at this point, and I am not local to Vegas to have a frame of reference.

As the title says I haven’t been here in a while, and apparently my username is now racist for some reason. I still watch games except for the year I boycotted the Menzie’s hiring.

Can someone just sum up what the problem is? How is it possible that it all went so wrong? Are we lagging behind in facilities? Are we really just THAT bad at finding a coach? 10 years is a bit much for no post-season hoops.

I happily admit that I was wrong about wanting Kruger Sr. gone when I did, he deserved whatever he wanted and I’m sorry for not realizing that, but there has to be a systemic problem that I’m missing at this point, and I am not local to Vegas to have a frame of reference.
It’s the most common discussion we have here. At least one that lasts year round.

I think you simplistically hit the nail on the head. We are fractured systematically. Little money, little fundraising, subpar leadership, little vision, little admin support to sports - as TMK said “don’t worry about basketball, it takes care of itself”.

The odds of not making an NCAA in 10 years at a school like UNLV is so incredibly unlikely - it’s never happened before - yet here we are. Some fans that remain (so many have left) think things are hunky dory, nothing is wrong, just some dadgum bad luck. And the games are still fun and cozy and the team tries really, really hard.

I don’t blame you for boycotting. I contemplated stopping with Menzies but didn’t want to leave at the lowest point of program history so I went through him and Otz, made it to early Kev, figured we were in capable hands and I slowly scaled back. I’m doubting that last part now because the hoops is just as poor so far, but we will see.

Ps, welcome back. Some will loathe you for disappearing and paint you as a monster, but I welcome you back.

Poor management... New management in town has shown they dont put up with BS...

last 2 ADs were bad at their jobs, one because she was just bad at it, the other because she was always looking to go elsewhere.
Bad management made bad hires. Bad hires led to poor results, roster turnover, bad luck etc...

Also one could argue that we had 2 hires leave prematurely for their "dream jobs" in the Big 12... Beard- who went to Texas Tech, would've been a tremendous 2 or 3 year hire. TJO got word that his home was opening up mid- 2nd season and checked out. He had some absolute talent coming into the program from a recruiting standpoint and that was before the portal became a big deal. Had both even just been around 3 years each under different circumstances, the program would not have fallen off the deep end its currently in... Yes this last part is full conjecture and what ifs, but both have done well since leaving...

It’s the most common discussion we have here. At least one that lasts year round.

I think you simplistically hit the nail on the head. We are fractured systematically. Little money, little fundraising, subpar leadership, little vision, little admin support to sports - as TMK said “don’t worry about basketball, it takes care of itself”.

The odds of not making an NCAA in 10 years at a school like UNLV is so incredibly unlikely - it’s never happened before - yet here we are. Some fans that remain (so many have left) think things are hunky dory, nothing is wrong, just some dadgum bad luck. And the games are still fun and cozy and the team tries really, really hard.

I don’t blame you for boycotting. I contemplated stopping with Menzies but didn’t want to leave at the lowest point of program history so I went through him and Otz, made it to early Kev, figured we were in capable hands and I slowly scaled back. I’m doubting that last part now because the hoops is just as poor so far, but we will see.

Ps, welcome back. Some will loathe you for disappearing and paint you as a monster, but I welcome you back.
I wouldn’t say I disappeared really. I joined when I was a student at UNLV and honestly life kind of got in the way. Like I said, I still watch, but focused as I once was.

I wouldn’t say I disappeared really. I joined when I was a student at UNLV and honestly life kind of got in the way. Like I said, I still watch, but focused as I once was.
Yeah, that happens, was part of it for me as well. A re-shuffling of priorities, it happens. Had my kids not been so bored stiff at UNLV games from a complete lack of excitement and activity and so frigid cold at the Mack, maybe I’d have sustained it more.

If you lower your standards to that of Cal State Bakersfield and hold onto those standards, you will end up content.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Make the atmosphere fun to get the families in. Great halftime, Laser show...Vegas entertaiment. And of course recruit the heck out of anywhere you can to get SHOOTERS !

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT