ADVERTISEMENT

Is this team playing better than they are?

rebswin2

Rebel Legend
Apr 5, 2004
San Diego, CA UNLV'94
All too often teams dont play as well as they should, they have a lot of talent but underperform (See UNLV BB under current staff)

So my question is this, has this staff coached this team up? To me it seems they have. We dont have a lot of wins to show for it, only 2 to be exacact but watching this team there is just something there that I havent seen at UNLV before.

All too often teams dont play as well as they should, they have a lot of talent but underperform (See UNLV BB under current staff)

So my question is this, has this staff coached this team up? To me it seems they have. We dont have a lot of wins to show for it, only 2 to be exacact but watching this team there is just something there that I havent seen at UNLV before.
I think a ton of the improvement we have seen this year is a direct reflection of this coaching staff.

I agree 100% its a different feel about this team. Last few seasons (except bowl season) we were getting beat physically and mentally with guys not in the correct position or making bad penalties, and on the chalk board with some questionable coaching decisions. I think now we have eliminated two of those. With what at least appears on paper as the start of another good recruiting class that should change.

I don't think they're playing better than they are....if so, they suck. I think there have been some improvements in certain areas. That's as much as I have to say on the subject.

I think that Sanchez seems like a different coach, in a good way. I expect more in the future

Reactions: RebelinWA

I'm there with ya. They just feel different in a good way. They actually look like a football team this year. You can see what the staff wants to do and they are trying to teach these guys as best they can. And I think that they are playing way above what they are capable. And that says a lot about the staff. But they are limited by what they have. Now all we need to do is be patient and wait for them to get some talent in here that can do what they would like to do

Getting motivated and staying motivated are the key differences I see with this team, and it spans a variety of topics. You could also call it "holding each other accountable." In the off-season, hitting the weight room hard and having each other, in addition to Coach B, pushing for improvement. Measuring and seeing improvement. Getting and staying motivated. Spring and pre-season camp, with the coaching staff organized, in touch with the players, and purpose driven. Players seeing they better get on-board or get left behind. Getting and staying motivated. Coaching-up individual technique, and devising schemes that work, giving hungry players tastes of success. Getting and staying motivated. Honesty with players, giving praise where earned, criticism where deserved, but letting all know they're not safe, whether it's from their backup or from the next recruiting class. Getting and staying motivated. That's why there's no quit in these guys. Even with the outcome of the BSU game no longer in doubt, they were still fighting, still scrapping, still working to punch in another score.

I ask myself that question sometimes if the Rebels are actually better team than last year, or if it is something similar to the new car feeling. I do think Sanchez is the guy.

I don't think our team preformed at much less of a level last year. They don't seem much bigger, stronger, or faster than they were last year. But thats not the whole story.

I absolutely unequivocally think that the attitude is much better than last year. Talent wise, I think we are a little worse off than last year. There are key areas of improvement, and I truely believe that the staff is squeezing as much talent out of the guys as they can. They seem like a scrappy team. They seem to be doing more with less. I don't think it is a coaching appeasment statement when Sanchez says are only 4-5 plays away from having a positive season. The only thing is that statement could have applied last year too.

That being said, I think the team has the same needs that it did last year. Qb play is erratic. The offense has similar struggles. Even with there not being much film on the offense at the start of the year, the offense does not seem to be very innovative. I don't know how much of that is the coaches being conservative to prevent major mistakes, or if it is a lack or creativity. The defense seems to be better, but there is a thin line between the defense gassed, and the defense getting beat and miss reading an offense.

As much as Sanchez says he doesn't want this to be a four year to victory team, I think he will need at least that much time to improve the team to his standards. I think he can get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I went out of my way on my way home from work to show up at Born And Raised to meet Sanchez when he was doing the Coach's Show and all I can say is this: Thats definitely a dude I'd give my all on the field for if he was my coach. He's just an inspiring dude...and that was after only chatting with him for a couple of minutes.

He would definitely get my ALL...which is probably why the individuals on this team fighr so hard for him...and why it makes them collectively "play better than they are", in my opinion.

I went out of my way on my way home from work to show up at Born And Raised to meet Sanchez when he was doing the Coach's Show and all I can say is this: Thats definitely a dude I'd give my all on the field for if he was my coach. He's just an inspiring dude...and that was after only chatting with him for a couple of minutes.

He would definitely get my ALL...which is probably why the individuals on this team fighr so hard for him...and why it makes them collectively "play better than they are", in my opinion.
Without a doubt he has instilled a different attitude into this team.

Reactions: UNLVFansincebirth22
This team is playing up to their capabilities. They are missing some key pieces. If we had a burner that reverse would have worked nicely yesterday. Improve the defensive backs, more pressure from the defensive line and more reliable quarterback play and we will win alot of games.

This team is playing up to their capabilities. They are missing some key pieces. If we had a burner that reverse would have worked nicely yesterday. Improve the defensive backs, more pressure from the defensive line and more reliable quarterback play and we will win alot of games.
I think the DBs are solid they just have to cover way to long with no pass rush. I agree this team is really close to winning more games than losing.

I don't think it is a coaching appeasment statement when Sanchez says are only 4-5 plays away from having a positive season. The only thing is that statement could have applied last year too.

I completely agree with this statement. I think they have been 4-5 plays away from winning 4-5 games since 2012. That year they fumbled out of the endzone on the fake field goal against Wyoming, and a phantom PI call late in the canon game really took the wind out of there sails.

I believe the two biggest reasons why this team feels different are the coordinators Sanchez hired and the fact that he went to the seniors and told them they were as important as anybody and that they could win now, but he needed there help. I think one mistake Hauck made in year one was not riding Clayton and Payne as far as he could.

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT