ADVERTISEMENT

Is our offense to Complicated?

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
This past week Arron Rodgers talked about "we must simplify the offense. As he's frustrated that his young WR's can't seem to run the offense. This started me thinking about how UNLV's offense is struggling. Our backups can't seem to make the right decision after the ball is snapped. I understand that playing Quarterback is extremely difficult. However if we could simplify things a little better maybe we could get better results. Basically what I'm saying is we ask our backup QB's to do to much.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think that the offense is reasonably complex. We have a fair amount of route concepts and we mix run blocking mostly man with a little zone and power game. We're not just running 9s with WR screens and stick routes. We're asking the back up guys to run any read option or much RPO which can be hard to do if you're not used to it. We also seem to call late after seeing the defense a lot this season. We're trying to slow things down, but guys still have to diagnose presnap and make sure they understand how that can change your progressions. Cam started most of last year. Bailey had starts in the SEC. They shouldn't need any further protection unless you want to run the ball, play action, and some max protect route schemes. But that's super tough to do when you're down 3+ touchdowns in the first 20 minutes of the game.

AF and SJSU are teams and schemes that are going to be tough for us. It gets much tougher with back ups in when you lose the turnover battle and your defense gets tired. But I would have called both of those games Ls at the beginning of the season, having 4 turnovers against Air Force is almost always going to be a W killer, being -4 is even worse. When you go down 33-0 and 21-0 against arguably the two best teams in the conference it wouldn't matter what you asked the QBs to do. Then consider SJSU is the 8th rated scoring defense and AFA is the 12th rated scoring defense in the country. Cal was 34th, and Notre Dame is a pedestrian 36th

Notre Dame is going to whip us unless you get a magical performance from someone on defense and can make a little hay on offense we're going to be down double digit points. And it won't be because the offense is too complicated or we ask the back up QBs to do too much.

I think that the offense is reasonably complex. We have a fair amount of route concepts and we mix run blocking mostly man with a little zone and power game. We're not just running 9s with WR screens and stick routes. We're asking the back up guys to run any read option or much RPO which can be hard to do if you're not used to it. We also seem to call late after seeing the defense a lot this season. We're trying to slow things down, but guys still have to diagnose presnap and make sure they understand how that can change your progressions. Cam started most of last year. Bailey had starts in the SEC. They shouldn't need any further protection unless you want to run the ball, play action, and some max protect route schemes. But that's super tough to do when you're down 3+ touchdowns in the first 20 minutes of the game.

AF and SJSU are teams and schemes that are going to be tough for us. It gets much tougher with back ups in when you lose the turnover battle and your defense gets tired. But I would have called both of those games Ls at the beginning of the season, having 4 turnovers against Air Force is almost always going to be a W killer, being -4 is even worse. When you go down 33-0 and 21-0 against arguably the two best teams in the conference it wouldn't matter what you asked the QBs to do. Then consider SJSU is the 8th rated scoring defense and AFA is the 12th rated scoring defense in the country. Cal was 34th, and Notre Dame is a pedestrian 36th

Notre Dame is going to whip us unless you get a magical performance from someone on defense and can make a little hay on offense we're going to be down double digit points. And it won't be because the offense is too complicated or we ask the back up QBs to do too much.

A few things need to happen to to pull an upset.

A big play early to quiet the crowd. That fan base is upset right now.

A special teams play, a big return, a blocked punt etc that lead to a score.

A forced turnover that leads to a score.

Defense has to get a few 3 and outs to get the crowd restless.

Ricky White and Courtney Reece need career type days.

Easy!

A few things need to happen to to pull an upset.

A big play early to quiet the crowd. That fan base is upset right now.

A special teams play, a big return, a blocked punt etc that lead to a score.

A forced turnover that leads to a score.

Defense has to get a few 3 and outs to get the crowd restless.

Ricky White and Courtney Reece need career type days.

Easy!
Have we had a three and out in October?

This past week Arron Rodgers talked about "we must simplify the offense. As he's frustrated that his young WR's can't seem to run the offense. This started me thinking about how UNLV's offense is struggling. Our backups can't seem to make the right decision after the ball is snapped. I understand that playing Quarterback is extremely difficult. However if we could simplify things a little better maybe we could get better results. Basically what I'm saying is we ask our backup QB's to do to much.
Yes. Brum seems to be the only one smart enough to understand it.

Reactions: 220reb
The biggest question for me is how can Bailey start 4 games for a ranked Tennessee SEC team last year but not be given a chance at mighty UNLV when Brum went down? Just makes no sense and it’s like Arroyo thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. How is that working out the last three weeks? Clearly Friel is not the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
The biggest question for me is how can Bailey start 4 games for a ranked Tennessee SEC team last year but not be given a chance at mighty UNLV when Brum went down? Just makes no sense and it’s like Arroyo thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. How is that working out the last three weeks? Clearly Friel is not the answer.
I agree in a sense. It didn't seem like he got a fair shake in the first game with the 2nd/3rd string guys. But he also got a shot in the second half of this past game, and he didn't look good. I don't know if it's just due to the type of offense we run vs. what they had at TN, but in the couple of series that he played, he went 2-5 with 10 yards, and missed what seemed to be a couple relatively easy throws.

If Friel can't do it, I'd be fine with giving Bailey the starting shot vs. ND though, since he's played in environments like that before. Maybe if he goes into the game as the starter, he'd look different. Who knows?

Reactions: Rebel Hoya

Former UNLV QB Caleb Herring said after watching camp.

All three QBs performed well, Friel and Brumfield knew the offense better. Bailey was good but behind the other two in grasping the playbook. That may have changed this week.

None of us are at practice. We aren't seeing their reps.

Also...

Why would Arroyo bring in a highly touted 4* SEC QB and then bench him to prove some point?

It makes absolutely no sense..

All three QBs performed well, Friel and Brumfield knew the offense better. Bailey was good but behind the other two in grasping the playbook. That may have changed this week.

Also...

Why would Arroyo bring in a highly touted 4* SEC QB and then bench him to prove some point?

That was my point as well, it makes absolutely no sense.

Also...

I not sure what happened to him. But he did lead Tennessee to a TD vs Texas A&M.
He also threw for 216 vs Vanderbilt.

Also...

Maybe the kid is special but just not special enough to grasp the offense>?
He maybe a special need kid, who knows. Little that I have seen him, he has no awareness and no confidence. He might be a nice player later once he grasp the offence, maybe...

He maybe a special need kid, who knows. Little that I have seen him, he has no awareness and no confidence. He might be a nice player later once he grasp the offence, maybe...
He’s gonna get some playing time tomorrow. He’s gonna piss off a lot of bettors.

You are basing that off 2-3 quarters of action.

He played well at Tennessee.

Which film is true?

Sample size is too small to make huge generalizations...

That was my point as well, it makes absolutely no sense.

Because you are accusing Arroyo of purposely not starting a dude to prove a point which is ridiculous.

He's playing the guys that perform best in camp and practice. Period end of story.

Not some convoluted theory with a coach purposely not playing a guy because he thinks he smarter than everyone. The same player he went all in to recruit to get here, because he thought he would be an upgrade.

Dude, I only saw the second half and I thought Harrison played excellent.

I think he should get more reps.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Maybe Bailey just isn’t into being here anymore? And if that is the case, let him hit the bricks at season’s end. We need Brumfield back as soon as he is healthy to get us to 6-6!

Correct. Parts of one or two other games as well.

I was just trying point out it's to small a sample size either way to proclaim him a bust or savior..
He did pretty good last night. ND lines are just too big.

Harrison Bailey came from the SEC... I'm sure he wasn't affected by the Notre Dame mystique. Maybe friel was?

Odd thing about Friel..

We all know he didn't play his senior year of HS. Was supposed to red shirt last year. Injury forced him into action.

Despite that he played pretty damn well all things considered. Showed a lot of poise for a true freshman

OLine play was bad in front of him and as season wore on he seemed to get a little less comfortable in the pocket. Play regressed a little as season went on (At least felt like it to me).

Feels like he's regressed this year a bit. Not getting the ball out quick enough or trusting what he sees.

With Bailey I think it's a matter of playing better with increased reps?

Odd thing about Friel..

We all know he didn't play his senior year of HS. Was supposed to red shirt last year. Injury forced him into action.

Despite that he played pretty damn well all things considered. Showed a lot of poise for a true freshman

OLine play was bad in front of him and as season wore on he seemed to get a little less comfortable in the pocket. Play regressed a little as season went on (At least felt like it to me).

Feels like he's regressed this year a bit. Not getting the ball out quick enough or trusting what he sees.

With Bailey I think it's a matter of playing better with increased reps?
I agree with this and believe Bailey has been relegated to 3rd string based on limited time learning the offense. Friel had a head start in that regard, but looks like Bailey is catching/caught up.

Hopefully Doug is back and healthy for SDSU and moving forward to finish the year, since it seems clear that he is our best option this season.

I agree with this and believe Bailey has been relegated to 3rd string based on limited time learning the offense. Friel had a head start in that regard, but looks like Bailey is catching/caught up.

Hopefully Doug is back and healthy for SDSU and moving forward to finish the year, since it seems clear that he is our best option this season.

👍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT