ADVERTISEMENT

Intersting Stat

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Saw an interesting stat today.

Unlv is last in the nation (not good or bad) in pre-snap motion on offense. We only use motion about 4% of the time. I found this fascinating because this offense is built around creating mismatches and deception. I would have figured using motion would aid in that. Yet based on numbers we rarely put guys in motion.

I'm not sure if we'll see more of it as season wears on to create more deception or if this offense relies more on just the unbalanced sets it employs. Be interesting to monitor going forward.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I have no idea exactly what this would mean or if it's directly as a result of the guys who have, in particular at QB... but:

Isn't pre snap motion generally used to reveal information about the defense? Watching who tracks, who follows, any shifts, etc that occur for players (largely QB) to take in that info to assist with his decision making?

Are they trying to keep it simple for the QBs and not have changes occur regularly based on defensive scheme? *if* that's the case, seems like an indictment against what is thought of or expected of our guys.

Could be way off.

Weird to be dead last in something... I mean, other than like turnovers or sacks allowed or something.

It doesn't seem like we have run out there that many unbalanced fronts, but I think our unbalanced fronts are meant to force the D to show man or zone just from lining up. If they "fake it" then they will be out of position.

But like I said, I cannot recall that many crazy sets that would really force the defense to do this so far this season.

It might be intentional if the go go is always on a hurry up. Motion might slow things down/ increase margin for penalties.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have no idea exactly what this would mean or if it's directly as a result of the guys who have, in particular at QB... but:

Isn't pre snap motion generally used to reveal information about the defense? Watching who tracks, who follows, any shifts, etc that occur for players (largely QB) to take in that info to assist with his decision making?

Are they trying to keep it simple for the QBs and not have changes occur regularly based on defensive scheme? *if* that's the case, seems like an indictment against what is thought of or expected of our guys.

Could be way off.

Weird to be dead last in something... I mean, other than like turnovers or sacks allowed or something.

Yes but it's also eye candy/distraction for the defense.

Team may watch film. Says ok when they run this motion in this set this is what they run. You can use motion to one, read defense if it's man or zone or two as a little deception.

I think your view may be more applicable here though. Because of all the unbalanced sets this offense has the defense trying to determine what the hell is going on. Because of that less reason to need to read the defense if it's man or zone?

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like we have run out there that many unbalanced fronts, but I think our unbalanced fronts are meant to force the D to show man or zone just from lining up. If they "fake it" then they will be out of position.

But like I said, I cannot recall that many crazy sets that would really force the defense to do this so far this season.

Simply putting two backs to one side does it.

Putting two backs to one side and TE on opposite side or two WRs to the opposite side does it as well..(Unbalanced) because with TE on opposite side its difficult to defend the flat (To QBS right side) I think that's how Marion described it. I might be getting it wrong.

WR. WR. TE LT LG C RG RT

QB RB RB

Pardon my trash diagram that won't post properly.

Simply putting two backs to one side does it.

Putting two backs to one side and TE on opposite side or two WRs to the opposite side does it as well..(Unbalanced) because with TE on opposite side its difficult to defend the flat (To QBS right side) I think that's how Marion described it. I might be getting it wrong.

WR. WR. TE LT LG C RG RT

QB RB RB

Pardon my trash diagram that won't post properly.
And we have seen that from time to time, but not that much.

Two backs to the side or ( side car formation as it has been described) with a more even distribution on the line probably won't create that much in terms of reading things pre snap. Obviously it creates confusion post snap due to options with where the ball could go.

I thinks its intentional in multiple ways. Motion puts the defense on notice so they shift, giving you the pre-snap read, however, I think that the "Go-Go" doesn't need this because its already set to create unbalanced formations that either make it easy to read the defense or already creates a unbalanced defense... We might see more as the playbook continues to open up, but itd be interesting to know how much motion Marion ran at his previous spots as well..

Second, Id like to see if it helps reduce the number of false starts or illegal formations or illegal motion calls on the offense. I cant find the stats and Im not sure other than going through each game and counting, but Im wondering if it does this... Keeping the offense on track seems to be a huge area of necessity for the Go-Go to be effective.

Saw an interesting stat today.

Unlv is last in the nation (not good or bad) in pre-snap motion on offense. We only use motion about 4% of the time. I found this fascinating because this offense is built around creating mismatches and deception. I would have figured using motion would aid in that. Yet based on numbers we rarely put guys in motion.

I'm not sure if we'll see more of it as season wears on to create more deception or if this offense relies more on just the unbalanced sets it employs. Be interesting to monitor going forward.
Maybe the biproduct of a freshman QB? Wanting to simply things for him from an offensive and presnap read standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT