ADVERTISEMENT

Incompetence & Insanity

Rebeldog04

6th man
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2021
I guess KK thinks switching on every defensive position will work out. Did he not watch us get killed last year in conference play doing that. The last game of the season Boise dropped 50 in the first half because of that.

There is physicality, no offense and everything runs from the outside. Unlike the last 2 years, there’s no one to bail us out at the end of the shot clock. Waits until we are down 16 to call a timeout, but I guess he’s just that incompetent. He can’t make it to year 4, and if he does, expect the same mediocre product!!

Harper needs to find an experienced coach like he did with the football program. This wasn’t his hire, so KK has no leash. Lon can’t even help with this situation. Apathy has sent in. A good student turnout has been welcomed by a 23 point deficit to a Southern team who just got blown out by 30 the night before.

A change is needed, quick.

You have to switch on every screen because your guards especially Webster and others just chase the dribbler or cutter usually about two steps behind. I'd bench Webster and JJIII (slow). At one point, Hicks was beat on a pick and roll. He was pulled. Hill was totally discouraged at Webster missing so many easy shots and then not playing defense. Offense needs to move like they did the last 10 minutes of the game. Bottle that and your probably OK. Why do you rest Isaiah after two years of not playing. Whaley is not a 5 for sure. We will see. Thomas was great 2d half.

Justin Webster said; “We started taking things for granted. We weren’t doing little details in practice, and eventually it caught up to us.”

Coach Kruger said that he didn’t see any warning signs when he was asked the same question.

Yikes...
A team of seasoned vets that haven't won shit taking preseason practice for granted...

That's a bad sign

You have to switch on every screen because your guards especially Webster and others just chase the dribbler or cutter usually about two steps behind. I'd bench Webster and JJIII (slow). At one point, Hicks was beat on a pick and roll. He was pulled. Hill was totally discouraged at Webster missing so many easy shots and then not playing defense. Offense needs to move like they did the last 10 minutes of the game. Bottle that and your probably OK. Why do you rest Isaiah after two years of not playing. Whaley is not a 5 for sure. We will see. Thomas was great 2d half.
He has to play JJ3 more the kid can play he showed kruger that in the reno game when he took over in O.T. Kruger has to take the leash off the kid and let him play

I guess KK thinks switching on every defensive position will work out. Did he not watch us get killed last year in conference play doing that. The last game of the season Boise dropped 50 in the first half because of that.

There is physicality, no offense and everything runs from the outside. Unlike the last 2 years, there’s no one to bail us out at the end of the shot clock. Waits until we are down 16 to call a timeout, but I guess he’s just that incompetent. He can’t make it to year 4, and if he does, expect the same mediocre product!!

Harper needs to find an experienced coach like he did with the football program. This wasn’t his hire, so KK has no leash. Lon can’t even help with this situation. Apathy has sent in. A good student turnout has been welcomed by a 23 point deficit to a Southern team who just got blown out by 30 the night before.

A change is needed, quick.
It worked well for his dad, until it didn't. We had better defenders, less selfish players and it worked in large part. UNLV was known as a pretty strong defensive team.

But you'd hit some teams that had the tools and the coaching to turn it upside down and embarrass you. That's what happened with Illinois. The flipped it until they got every advantage they wanted and scored with ease. They embarrassed us in the NCAAT because we had one way and they were able to easily use it against us.

Any idea why we'd break their press and have a 3 on 2 and wait to reset to the non-offensive set?

Biggest disappointment about Dedan was he didn't have ANY court vision. There were a few lobs missed and the entire team seems to be scared/unable to feed the ball to the post. Whaley had his guy sealed off multiple times and by the time (Webster?) got it to him he was gassed and missed the gimme.

Any idea why we'd break their press and have a 3 on 2 and wait to reset to the non-offensive set?

Biggest disappointment about Dedan was he didn't have ANY court vision. There were a few lobs missed and the entire team seems to be scared/unable to feed the ball to the post. Whaley had his guy sealed off multiple times and by the time (Webster?) got it to him he was gassed and missed the gimme.
There was a 3 minute stretch where They refused to pass to a wide open Jones under the basket and instead opted to pull back and then launch a 3... It went along with the 13-0 run Southern went on... Coincidence?

You usually see teams look this poor when they play some scrub ass in their first exhibition. And Southern is kind of a scrub exhibition team. First time out, you can look like garbage.

But we had exhibitions (closed) against D1 teams. Shouldn’t look like this. They couldn’t have been overwhelmed by the crowd size. They couldn’t have been overwhelmed by the Mack. They practice in the Mack with a few less people than last night.

They should not have had that deer in the headlights, “which way did he go, which way did he go” look about them last night.

There’s no pressure to be a final four team or even a good team. There’s no pressure to win conference.

It was awful. One of the worst games in the past 10 years and that’s saying a lot. This may have topped any Menzies lousy loss.

It worked well for his dad, until it didn't. We had better defenders, less selfish players and it worked in large part. UNLV was known as a pretty strong defensive team.

But you'd hit some teams that had the tools and the coaching to turn it upside down and embarrass you. That's what happened with Illinois. The flipped it until they got every advantage they wanted and scored with ease. They embarrassed us in the NCAAT because we had one way and they were able to easily use it against us.

Kevin is NO john F Kennedy - I mean Kevin is No Lon Kruger -

he needs to blaze his own trail - Do some original thinking and come up with his own shit - his own ideas and his own plans that are his doings -

Is it all just a case of Nepotism really ??

I mean really would Kevin Even be here if it weren't for his DADS success- ? We were so happy someone else got us a win in the NCAAT besides Tark we would hire his son. We were so ENAMERED with how successful LON was at Oklahoma -

Kevin is NOT Lon - he was just along for the ride - ON the coat tails

Congrats you were BORN to good stock- NOW Go EARN something - GO be great somewhere Else -

I'm embarrassed after last night - I do not believe in Kevin at all anymore

Reactions: Rebeldog04
Kevin was hired because Dez panicked when TJO jumped ship to years in. She never really considered anyone else, much like Arroyo, she had her idea of who she wanted to hire and we were sold a bill of "continuity" for what culture TJO was "building" with Kevin having been a complete part of it. Adding in Lon's voice she sold it to us and many ate it up... "Oh, Kevin will use Lon, oh Lon will be at practice ..Oh isn't it great we're really getting a young Lon but also the grizzled Lon and let's give him a lifetime to build UNLV..." I myself was guilty of a little hope...

Reality- Bryce evolved into such an effective scorer so quickly that Kevin rushed the rebuild by filling roster with former star transfers promising return glory... and we fell for it... then we land Hometown star DJ and a trio of Big 12 transfers and again, we're in a "Let's win right away" mode and after game 1, the construction of the roster looks really bad.. inconsistent shooters, small guards, no true backup PG, defense that didn't communicate well...

And Kevin's problems got a whole lot worse when Odom came in and turned UNLV football into a freaking machine in one offseason... the facade of a "slow build" torched by experience who hired a experienced staff to just do the job... that's the problem with last night, we might turn it around, yes it's game one without 3 starters... but it's not 1 game, it's the previous 2+ included

Kevin was hired because Dez panicked when TJO jumped ship to years in. She never really considered anyone else, much like Arroyo, she had her idea of who she wanted to hire and we were sold a bill of "continuity" for what culture TJO was "building" with Kevin having been a complete part of it. Adding in Lon's voice she sold it to us and many ate it up... "Oh, Kevin will use Lon, oh Lon will be at practice ..Oh isn't it great we're really getting a young Lon but also the grizzled Lon and let's give him a lifetime to build UNLV..." I myself was guilty of a little hope...

Reality- Bryce evolved into such an effective scorer so quickly that Kevin rushed the rebuild by filling roster with former star transfers promising return glory... and we fell for it... then we land Hometown star DJ and a trio of Big 12 transfers and again, we're in a "Let's win right away" mode and after game 1, the construction of the roster looks really bad.. inconsistent shooters, small guards, no true backup PG, defense that didn't communicate well...

And Kevin's problems got a whole lot worse when Odom came in and turned UNLV football into a freaking machine in one offseason... the facade of a "slow build" torched by experience who hired a experienced staff to just do the job... that's the problem with last night, we might turn it around, yes it's game one without 3 starters... but it's not 1 game, it's the previous 2+ included
I wonder where all the comments go that say a basketball program can be turned around in a year or two while it takes 4-5 years to turn a football program around? I guess Odom never read that book, and Kruger appears to think he is a football coach!

You usually see teams look this poor when they play some scrub ass in their first exhibition. And Southern is kind of a scrub exhibition team. First time out, you can look like garbage.

But we had exhibitions (closed) against D1 teams. Shouldn’t look like this. They couldn’t have been overwhelmed by the crowd size. They couldn’t have been overwhelmed by the Mack. They practice in the Mack with a few less people than last night.

They should not have had that deer in the headlights, “which way did he go, which way did he go” look about them last night.

There’s no pressure to be a final four team or even a good team. There’s no pressure to win conference.

It was awful. One of the worst games in the past 10 years and that’s saying a lot. This may have topped any Menzies lousy loss.
This was really ugly, but I've definitely been to worse Rebel games.

What makes this so bad is expectations. I really thought this team would be good and Southern would be bad. We wouldn't be NCAA good, but at least we'd be getting a sniff. When you think your team is good, they are favored by 19, it's the first game of the year, you get your first look at a local kid who is supposed to be the next Isiah Thomas and you get totally dominated that is truly a bad loss.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub

What makes this so bad is expectations. I really thought this team would be good and Southern would be bad. We wouldn't be NCAA good, but at least we'd be getting a sniff. When you think your team is good, they are favored by 19, it's the first game of the year, you get your first look at a local kid who is supposed to be the next Isiah Thomas and you get totally dominated that is truly a bad loss.
Give or take a little, I’ve witnessed worse, I think. But that you have a handful of similar games to chose amongst, just in the past several seasons, is problematic.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

On the first game of the season?

Would Otz season 2 home opening loss to Montana State be worse than this loss? I think so but they both are horrible.
Otz had one foot out the door. Everyone knew it. Including his players. Big difference in 1 year and 2nd year. We for sure took a step back. Was not great year one ,but u could see the guy could coach.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Kevin was hired for two reasons.

1. convenience, he was already here and working within the program..
2. Money, being a 1st time HC he could be hired at $500k less than Otz.

everybody knew he was a first time head coach, and if you expected him to come out of the gate like an old veteran then that’s on you. Just keep it honest.

Dude Kruger offense was never ever fun to watch. It’s awful.

Upgrade women’s coach to men’s coach.

Kevin is NO john F Kennedy - I mean Kevin is No Lon Kruger -

he needs to blaze his own trail - Do some original thinking and come up with his own shit - his own ideas and his own plans that are his doings -

Is it all just a case of Nepotism really ??

I mean really would Kevin Even be here if it weren't for his DADS success- ? We were so happy someone else got us a win in the NCAAT besides Tark we would hire his son. We were so ENAMERED with how successful LON was at Oklahoma -

Kevin is NOT Lon - he was just along for the ride - ON the coat tails

Congrats you were BORN to good stock- NOW Go EARN something - GO be great somewhere Else -

I'm embarrassed after last night - I do not believe in Kevin at all anymore

I still stand by that this was all apart of a master plan by Lon that unfolded a few years ahead of schedule. DRF consulted with Lon Kruger while he was at OU to help find the next head coach and fell upon Otz. All of the sudden Kevin is brought here to be an assistant under Otz, Why though??? No previous connection there, had to be a stipulation. Kevin on staff at OU in the BIG12 coaching with his dad, why leave? Lon saw an opportunity knowing Otz would be a short timer here at UNLV once the Iowa State job would reopen (sooner than expected) and felt that Kevin would be ready. It sucks cause Kevin is a Rebel and apart of the last run we had in the tourney, but he wasn’t ready for this. Going to take a miracle for this season to have a happy ending.

• Love
Reactions: j. spilotro
I still stand by that this was all apart of a master plan by Lon that unfolded a few years ahead of schedule. DRF consulted with Lon Kruger while he was at OU to help find the next head coach and fell upon Otz. All of the sudden Kevin is brought here to be an assistant under Otz, Why though??? No previous connection there, had to be a stipulation. Kevin on staff at OU in the BIG12 coaching with his dad, why leave? Lon saw an opportunity knowing Otz would be a short timer here at UNLV once the Iowa State job would reopen (sooner than expected) and felt that Kevin would be ready. It sucks cause Kevin is a Rebel and apart of the last run we had in the tourney, but he wasn’t ready for this. Going to take a miracle for this season to have a happy ending.
You, sir, sound like one of those creepy, crazy, internet conspiracy theorists that ends up with a lucky guess that lands 9 out of 10 times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT