ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Post-Game

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Let’s get a little celebratory around here. That was a good win. Not a pretty win. Not really a resumé-building win. But a good win, none the less. It was a win that could have quite easily been a loss. The Illini played hard. Often, they played a little too hard (see 48 free throws). Had we shot our FT’s a little better than 68%, we might have been able to breath a bit easier down the stretch. But events unfolded the way they did.

JoJo had a big game. I frequently cringe at his shot selection, but last night he hit 50% of his 10 FG’s, and also half of his six 3-pointers. Combine that with 14 of 18 FT’s and he wound up with a season-high 27 points. Jordy’s game was OK, but not as electrifying as we’ve seen from him. Mooring stepped up and frequently ran the show.

Our rim-protector, Big Brandon, delivered his obligatory double -double (22 pts/10 boards). I have to say, McCoy seems to be gasping for breath a lot. He’s got his hands on his knees at seemingly every break in the action. But his numbers tell a different story, so I won’t complain. But I can’t help but muse over how he will hold up to the rough-and-tumble action in the NBA. I’m afraid they’ll eat him alive.

And then there’s Shakur Juiston. He needs to figure out how to stay in the game. A couple of the calls against him in the second half, were questionable. But those are going to happen. If he didn’t pick-up the bad fouls, 90-feet away from the basket, earlier in the game, he could shake-off the later calls. We need Juiston in the game. He makes us a much better team.

A lot of good minutes out of Hardy. Beck also contributed off the bench. And Anthony Smith delivered one awesome, rim-rattling put-back dunk. I’m not sure what happened to Kris Clyburn? He played 22 minutes, but went 0-6 from the field. As I recall, he got beat-up a bit towards the end of the ORU game. Perhaps there were some lingering effects.

All-in-all, a successful night. We should be happy with our 8-2 OOC record. The two that got away in OT are painful, but perhaps we learned valuable lessons from them. The remainder of the slate, prior to MW play, looks entirely winnable.

It will be a long week until we go to Pacific (Stockton…I know). But our student-athletes must emphasize the “student” in their title, this week. I wish them well. And they should return with energy and focus. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be 11-2 on December 31st, when Boise St comes to town.

Happy New Year!
happy-03.jpg

Go Rebels!

Great review TarkisGod!

I liked the way we recovered from a couple of Illinois runs to respond with our own runs. Relied on outside shooting during the bad runs, but drove to the basket to respond. The Rebels are learning!

Reactions: RunninRebel4Life
I don't like when Clyburn puts the ball on the floor. He seems a better spot up shooter then driving. Like to see some plays drawn up for him, esp vs the zone, him running around coming off screens perhaps then getting a spot up pass and shoot.

Really hoping McCoy comes back for a 2nd season. He can learn a lot in a 2nd year, but that is probably dreaming. If he learns how to kick the ball out a bit quicker on the double/triple teams instead of dribbling it, his game will go up. I'm sure that is coming up on reviews from other teams and he will keep getting stacked up until he makes them pay by finding the open player. Clyburn maybe, see above, but we really have a bunch of 3pt shooter options which I'm also loving about this team. We aren't dependent on just 1 guy. McCoy also needs to be careful about camping in the key to much. I'm surprised the refs aren't calling him more on this. He set up a tent, started a fire, cooked diner in there a few times in this game. I'm afraid it might bite him at the wrong moment at the end of a game down the road.

Stuck with the game plan, adjustments at halftime. How many games have we seen now where we win the game in the stretch through attrition? Aggressiveness putting the other teams key players in foul trouble has happened in several games. I love it! Take it to them!

What I like is that the few adjustments (fouls far from the rim, turnovers) can be coached and fixed. And I enjoy watching Menzies constantly coaching the guys during the game. It's a huge difference than the issues that were glaring year after year previously.

Loving this team and group of guys.

Oh, and our game management the last 5 minutes was good. If we had managed the 2 losses like this one, we would be undefeated. Ground out some scores, managed turnovers, held the ball and ran clock the last 2 min when had the lead. Sufferably held the ball once or twice when could have driven and I though there was 1 push up the floor could have lobbed it around the last minute. But holding it and running the clock probably the right call even though I wanted a little more show time. Shout out to our guards managing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT