ADVERTISEMENT

IF REMAINING MWC TEAMS WERE SMART

their view is because they're expecting more money from a TV deal that doesn't exist.
I think they have a good faith estimate. They It seems like the CW is really happy with their agreement so far with the PAC and likes the fact they are in the college football broadcasting business.

It won't officially exist until the conference is settled. But they have a good idea what the range will be.

I've said many times that I don't like what the Pac-2 is doing and has done. But give us some credit. OSU and WSU have more cachet than anyone in the MW and are as good as any of you in FB. As you will see this fall. So if you think that a conference with SJSU, UNM, Reno and USU is "basically the same conference" as the Pac, I would respectfully disagree.
Well actually at this point, based on the polls, UNLV is better!

• Haha
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
OSU and Wazzu don't have any cachet other than the conference they are currently tied to. You're high on your on supply. The only cachet here is the P12 brand. And I never said it would be 'basically the same conference'. I said it would be an easier and equal way to get to the playoff spot
Yes you did. And I quote your post word for word: "We are gripping to pay an exit fee to get into basically the same conference we're already in."

As far as cachet goes, watch College Gameday much?

• Haha
Reactions: InZoneU
We also need to stop thinking of Colleges and their markets. Things have changed with media. Regional networks do not really exist anymore. At least not with college sports.
Currently every conference is in every media market. Internet only streams are available everywhere ( like the MWN), and all of the bigger conference networks are basically everywhere as well. So the big 12 or the PAC or the SEC doesn't need to get into the Vegas market. They are already there.
Sure adding a local team may increase ratings for other teams in that market. But is still goes back to fan support for each individual school.
So if UNLV averages 90k additional viewers per game, that won't move the needle much for the additional members of that conference beyond what is already watched in that region.
This why Boise is still desirable, even the PAC 2. They have enough interest from their names to upgrade their contract from at least what the MW currently gets. Those schools may be in small markets, but their brand commands a go amount of viewership.
So back to the PAC, I think it is safe to say that they will be getting more money than the MW. If it was comparable, they would have merged. It is much simpler, the PAC would keep more money, and everyone would be a bit happier.
But there is obviously a big divide there. Again this move has been in the works for may a year. This was not spur of the moment.
As for UNLV being the next school in the PAC. I don't think the PAC can afford all of the exit fees and poaching fees for another MW school just yet. I don't think UNLV can pay the 18 mil either. I can see some sort of consignment where UNLV pays the fees off over time by accepting a few less mil per year until it is cleared. It is the least they can do.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Why were you hosting?

Congrats, they decided to use your flag in a TV promo... They've been to Vegas more times than to Pullman...
Really? More times? When would those appearances have been? Let me help. Below is the all-time list of Gameday locations.

I can only find Las Vegas - let's see - zero times. Maybe my eyes need to be checked...... :)

We also need to stop thinking of Colleges and their markets. Things have changed with media. Regional networks do not really exist anymore. At least not with college sports.
Currently every conference is in every media market. Internet only streams are available everywhere ( like the MWN), and all of the bigger conference networks are basically everywhere as well. So the big 12 or the PAC or the SEC doesn't need to get into the Vegas market. They are already there.
Sure adding a local team may increase ratings for other teams in that market. But is still goes back to fan support for each individual school.
So if UNLV averages 90k additional viewers per game, that won't move the needle much for the additional members of that conference beyond what is already watched in that region.
This why Boise is still desirable, even the PAC 2. They have enough interest from their names to upgrade their contract from at least what the MW currently gets. Those schools may be in small markets, but their brand commands a go amount of viewership.
So back to the PAC, I think it is safe to say that they will be getting more money than the MW. If it was comparable, they would have merged. It is much simpler, the PAC would keep more money, and everyone would be a bit happier.
But there is obviously a big divide there. Again this move has been in the works for may a year. This was not spur of the moment.
As for UNLV being the next school in the PAC. I don't think the PAC can afford all of the exit fees and poaching fees for another MW school just yet. I don't think UNLV can pay the 18 mil either. I can see some sort of consignment where UNLV pays the fees off over time by accepting a few less mil per year until it is cleared. It is the least they can do.
Just go and look at the viewership of UNLV on ESPN and it gives a different story on a national level. UNLV had a half million more eyes on the game last year verse Michigan than Fresno State when they played Michigan. The difference between the games is Fresno State played them at the first game of the year as the 9th ranked team in the country, while UNLV played them on September 9th as the second game when they were ranked 2nd in the nation. While Michigan was definitely the bigger draw, there was far more interest in watching them play UNLV than Fresno State. UNLV v Michigan had 2.97 million views playing on CBS

Go back and look at 2023 viewership, and you will find that games that ended up on minor networks didn't get good viewership no matter what MWC teams had been involved. In the first week of last season FS1 games that involved MWC teams ranged from a high of 418K with SDSU down to 195K with Fresno State. BSU had only 247K views. In October of las year BSU and CSU played each other with 471K views on FS1. What I am saying is that none of the teams in the MWC or the PAC two really push the viewership which is most likely determined more by what network they play on than the number of followers. UNLV has always had low viewership because most of the games did not get televised or would be shown on FS1, FS2, ESPNU, or another minor network that is only trying to fill a slot.

The change from the past to the current UNLV football program is that all but one game are on Television this year, as well as the chance to be spotlighted on ESPN Friday verse Kansas. There is also the fact that you can find more stories about UNLV on a national level every week than you could find in an entire season in the past. The national and social media are doing a great job of increasing the media footprint of UNLV, and the more UNLV wins the more that footprint will grow. When was the last time prior to the last two seasons that you could find a football story that had a photograph of UNLV on the front of the story?

Really? More times? When would those appearances have been? Let me help. Below is the all-time list of Gameday locations.

I can only find Las Vegas - let's see - zero times. Maybe my eyes need to be checked...... :)

They were in Vegas for the NFL draft...

The more I think about, if I were Harper I wouldn't pay ONE dime to join the PAC. If they want UNLV, make the offer. But don't expect UNLV to pay an exit fee to the MWC. Why? No matter how it is dressed up and what ever you want to call it the PAC is G5! No different from the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC or what ever.

What matters is winning and Boise State became a national program as a G5 by winning and it wasn't in the MWC. It was in the WAC playing many of the exact same teams that the PAC now wants to discard and leave behind in Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Utah State. Did conference affiliation as a member of the WAC stop Boise in 2007 when they went 13-0, went to a BCS Bowl game and defeated Oklahoma and ended up ranked 5th in the final AP poll. NO!

If I were Harper, I would gladly accept the $15-20 mill or what ever it is from WSU and OSU and give Barry Odom a $1,000,000 pay raise and extend his contract. Also, I would give raises to the assistants. Right now, retaining BO and staff is more important than any G5 conference affiliation, because IMO he is on the path to achieving something special at UNLV and he can do it in the MWC or the PAC. It doesn't matter! Just WIN!

Ok now you jumped the shark
I see you edited your original post. That was nice of you. All I did was quote your words after you denied saying them. Hey I'm in UNLV's camp here. But start dissing my beloved Wazzu and I get defensive.
They were in Vegas for the NFL draft...
College Gameday was in Vegas for the NFL draft? That's not the same thing. C'mon now.......

Just go and look at the viewership of UNLV on ESPN and it gives a different story on a national level. UNLV had a half million more eyes on the game last year verse Michigan than Fresno State when they played Michigan. The difference between the games is Fresno State played them at the first game of the year as the 9th ranked team in the country, while UNLV played them on September 9th as the second game when they were ranked 2nd in the nation. While Michigan was definitely the bigger draw, there was far more interest in watching them play UNLV than Fresno State. UNLV v Michigan had 2.97 million views playing on CBS

Go back and look at 2023 viewership, and you will find that games that ended up on minor networks didn't get good viewership no matter what MWC teams had been involved. In the first week of last season FS1 games that involved MWC teams ranged from a high of 418K with SDSU down to 195K with Fresno State. BSU had only 247K views. In October of las year BSU and CSU played each other with 471K views on FS1. What I am saying is that none of the teams in the MWC or the PAC two really push the viewership which is most likely determined more by what network they play on than the number of followers. UNLV has always had low viewership because most of the games did not get televised or would be shown on FS1, FS2, ESPNU, or another minor network that is only trying to fill a slot.

The change from the past to the current UNLV football program is that all but one game are on Television this year, as well as the chance to be spotlighted on ESPN Friday verse Kansas. There is also the fact that you can find more stories about UNLV on a national level every week than you could find in an entire season in the past. The national and social media are doing a great job of increasing the media footprint of UNLV, and the more UNLV wins the more that footprint will grow. When was the last time prior to the last two seasons that you could find a football story that had a photograph of UNLV on the front of the story?
100 %!

I think there is a big difference with Michigan this year vs last year. Michigan had a ton of buzz as NC contenders coming in, deservedly so. They lost a lot of their key players and their coach coming in. They will always be a big draw, but I account the difference between our game last year, and their game this year due to more national attension given their NC contender status.

I 100% agree that the fact that UNLV is making noise, cracking the top 25 it will draw more interest and eyeballs. Hopefully it helps locally, this still is to be seen. But I do think it will help our national numbers, at least if we keep winning and being a contender for that G5 playoff spot.

But you can't deny the ratings of our first game was bad. 192k against a team in the Big 12 a big market. Knowing that DVR number do count in Nielson ratings, that makes it worse. I don't think UNLV brought half of that number. That was also followed up with our first home game and a good time slot where less than 18k people paid for tickets, and many of those didn't show up.

Bottom line UNLV rating have underperformed given the buzz our market and the quality of play this year.

MW network games do not count for ratings, which i think is doing UNLV a favor, because I doubt they are any good.

417k between 2 MW teams team? That is really good. There is your answer why BSU and CSU were part of the top 4. Half a million people is nothing to balk at. Looking at other media numbers that is the range that many other P4 games are bringing in. And those types of viewership help justify 30+ million per school.

But the proof is in the pudding. We weren't part of the top 4. Everything points to metrics. TV execs know the metrics better than anyone. MW teams all have games on National TV and others. Those games have been picked by our TV partners because of potential viweship and revenue potential. I think is a good sign that we have more national games than ever this year. Though, we need to still get those numbers. I think we have a very good opportunity to change the narrative on UNLV viewership. I have been disappointed thus far.

Fresno game is huge. They may be better than Boise and are true MW championship contenders. We need to show up big time for this game for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
The more I think about, if I were Harper I wouldn't pay ONE dime to join the PAC. If they want UNLV, make the offer. But don't expect UNLV to pay an exit fee to the MWC. Why? No matter how it is dressed up and what ever you want to call it the PAC is G5! No different from the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC or what ever.

What matters is winning and Boise State became a national program as a G5 by winning and it wasn't in the MWC. It was in the WAC playing many of the exact same teams that the PAC now wants to discard and leave behind in Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, Idaho, Louisiana Tech and Utah State. Did conference affiliation as a member of the WAC stop Boise in 2007 when they went 13-0, went to a BCS Bowl game and defeated Oklahoma and ended up ranked 5th in the final AP poll. NO!

If I were Harper, I would gladly accept the $15-20 mill or what ever it is from WSU and OSU and give Barry Odom a $1,000,000 pay raise and extend his contract. Also, I would give raises to the assistants. Right now, retaining BO and staff is more important than any G5 conference affiliation, because IMO he is on the path to achieving something special at UNLV and he can do it in the MWC or the PAC. It doesn't matter! Just WIN!

I agree in principal..

But.

Sure UNLV could go to CUSA let's say and run the table.

But their strength of schedule would probably be lower.

So even by running the table they probably miss out on the G5 spot to a one loss Boise or Fresno or WSU..

Add to that a lesser media deal.

Purely a guess but slap a Pac12 patch on UNLV uniforms or coaches jacket vs a CUSA patch it also impacts potential booster/NIL money. Not to mention recruiting.

I'd prefer to be in a conference where 1 loss doesn't essentially end your season and hopes of CFP.

I see you edited your original post. That was nice of you. All I did was quote your words after you denied saying them. Hey I'm in UNLV's camp here. But start dissing my beloved Wazzu and I get defensive.

College Gameday was in Vegas for the NFL draft? That's not the same thing. C'mon now.......
Im not the one jumping onto another teams board thumping my chest because a flag appeared in a promo several years ago... If were going to talk about Game Day, there were more eyes on Game Day in Vegas than have ever seen a Game Day in Pullman... Just saying.

Personally,. I wish you 2 had just joined the MWC and wed be done with this stupid expansion BS, but now you've put our future in jeopardy and we can only hope until our situation changes that this blows up mercilessly in your faces...

Im not the one jumping onto another teams board thumping my chest because a flag appeared in a promo several years ago... If were going to talk about Game Day, there were more eyes on Game Day in Vegas than have ever seen a Game Day in Pullman... Just saying.

Personally,. I wish you 2 had just joined the MWC and wed be done with this stupid expansion BS, but now you've put our future in jeopardy and we can only hope until our situation changes that this blows up mercilessly in your faces...
If the AAC and MWC conference is serious about being a player. Just merged. Combined the two conferences into a MegaConference. There are enough stars power within both conferences to make it a challenge to the P4 into P5 conference.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I agree in principal..

But.

Sure UNLV could go to CUSA let's say and run the table.

But their strength of schedule would probably be lower.

So even by running the table they probably miss out on the G5 spot to a one loss Boise or Fresno or WSU..

Add to that a lesser media deal.

Purely a guess but slap a Pac12 patch on UNLV uniforms or coaches jacket vs a CUSA patch it also impacts potential booster/NIL money. Not to mention recruiting.

I'd prefer to be in a conference where 1 loss doesn't essentially end your season and hopes of CFP.

The new PAC will still be G5, but G5 with making more than double than us likely, and probably the most outside of P4. Those extra 5 mill+ a year can really help try to retain an Odom or pay for a basketball coach at some point.

We should not agree to ponying up for that 18 mil fee. I agree. Some split may be worth it.

Or maybe the Fertittas with their new connection to the team think it is worth it to help out the program again.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The new PAC will still be G5, but G5 with making more than double than us likely, and probably the most outside of P4. Those extra 5 mill+ a year can really help try to retain an Odom or pay for a basketball coach at some point.

We should not agree to ponying up for that 18 mil fee. I agree. Some split may be worth it.

Or maybe the Fertittas with their new connection to the team think it is worth it to help out the program again.
So, when you say pay for a basketball coach do mean a real basketball coach. One with experience and will actually work his ass of recruiting. One that will actually get us to an NCAA tournament.

So, when you say pay for a basketball coach do mean a real basketball coach. One with experience and will actually work his ass of recruiting. One that will actually get us to an NCAA tournament.
People want a new basketball coach. One thing that is for sure, we cannot afford a new one right now.

We are looking at taking a big paycut in media revenue, and we need to spend all of the resources we can muster to make things right with Coach Odom and his staff.

Unless we can find outside money, firing Kruger now is not a good idea.

UNLV finished 4th in conference last season. Kruger's Contract is the 7th highest in the league.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
People want a new basketball coach. One thing that is for sure, we cannot afford a new one right now.

We are looking at taking a big paycut in media revenue, and we need to spend all of the resources we can muster to make things right with Coach Odom and his staff.

Unless we can find outside money, firing Kruger now is not a good idea.

UNLV finished 4th in conference last season. Kruger's Contract is the 7th highest in the league.
Just take care of Coach O and his staff first. The cut from the 4 teams defectors should go to Coach O and his staff. Basketball is ok for now.

Reactions: TimothyC3

I edited out the flaming insult. It had nothing to do with my point. But carry on Mr. Important.

PS - nobody gives AF about Wazzu

1000%. Conference affiliation is passe. Why worry about getting into a conference that provides the same exact path to the big goal?

I guess it depends on whether one thinks the TV money from conference affiliation is more important than the success of the program.

Couple things I haven’t seen mentioned or discussed…

Does the “two year notice” come into play at all? When the defections were announced we were already two games into the season and yet the new conference needs to be intact by July 1, 2026. If I’m the MW I’m probably firing shots that the early exit fee is actually double based on that… hell, it is t even a full two years by the start of the 2026 football season.

Secondly, what are the PAC 2 gonna do for schedules during next season? Might be a small problem but it’s basically going to make next season obsolete for both of them. They might be able to schedule with the defectors early in the season but after that it’s gonna be difficult to schedule games against anyone in the MW or AAC.

Just random thoughts.

Couple things I haven’t seen mentioned or discussed…

Does the “two year notice” come into play at all? When the defections were announced we were already two games into the season and yet the new conference needs to be intact by July 1, 2026. If I’m the MW I’m probably firing shots that the early exit fee is actually double based on that… hell, it is t even a full two years by the start of the 2026 football season.

Secondly, what are the PAC 2 gonna do for schedules during next season? Might be a small problem but it’s basically going to make next season obsolete for both of them. They might be able to schedule with the defectors early in the season but after that it’s gonna be difficult to schedule games against anyone in the MW or AAC.

Just random thoughts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the "2-year" notice is actually anything over 1 year. Think I read that on this board, or maybe on the WCS board.

Relative to WSU's 2025 schedule, it is a MAJOR problem IMHO. We have 6 games scheduled, with 3 at home. Most schools have their 2025 schedules filled. We are in a real pickle. Another reason for the Pac-2 to poach UNLV and one other MW school, stand pat at 8 for now, and focus on the 2025 schedule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the "2-year" notice is actually anything over 1 year. Think I read that on this board, or maybe on the WCS board.

Relative to WSU's 2025 schedule, it is a MAJOR problem IMHO. We have 6 games scheduled, with 3 at home. Most schools have their 2025 schedules filled. We are in a real pickle. Another reason for the Pac-2 to poach UNLV and one other MW school, stand pat at 8 for now, and focus on the 2025 schedule.
This is correct.

If I'm a remaining MWC school I block all calls from the OSU and Wazzu AD's offices. They need to fill games and we should not help them in any way.

Reactions: WarthogRebel

If I was the conference Id argue that its not over a year and try to get more money. By the end of the season there will be only 1 full year remaining... I know semantics of "league year" begin dates, but I agree that its really only 1 year they've provided notice for.
As for jumping to the Pac now.. Id really need to know what assurances they gave the other 4 teams plus their own self interests before jumping into a conference with them. Like did Boise and SDSU receive some promises around higher compensation than a Fresno or CSU or the next 2 teams... Boise has that agreement with the MWC and it has artificially kept them ahead of the game where they might've seen a drop off had the terms all been equal. Do the original 2 get more $$ and access to the funds they got to build their coffers as part of the agreement to pay buyouts? See the slippery slope.. $$$ creates a huge advantage. Meanwhile we could potentially get our own competitive advantage agreement as the jewel of another conference and also elevate our profile through performance in a conference we could dominate..

If I was the conference Id argue that its not over a year and try to get more money. By the end of the season there will be only 1 full year remaining... I know semantics of "league year" begin dates, but I agree that its really only 1 year they've provided notice for.
As for jumping to the Pac now.. Id really need to know what assurances they gave the other 4 teams plus their own self interests before jumping into a conference with them. Like did Boise and SDSU receive some promises around higher compensation than a Fresno or CSU or the next 2 teams... Boise has that agreement with the MWC and it has artificially kept them ahead of the game where they might've seen a drop off had the terms all been equal. Do the original 2 get more $$ and access to the funds they got to build their coffers as part of the agreement to pay buyouts? See the slippery slope.. $$$ creates a huge advantage. Meanwhile we could potentially get our own competitive advantage agreement as the jewel of another conference and also elevate our profile through performance in a conference we could dominate..
You lose that battle in court every time because the contract is king and what "year" is is defined in the contract. Semantics doesn't exist when you have the four corners of a contract.

Last edited:
This is correct.

If I'm a remaining MWC school I block all calls from the OSU and Wazzu AD's offices. They need to fill games and we should not help them in any way.
I would not answer the phone either. BSU, CSU and Fresno have their schedules filled for 2025, as probably the rest of the MW does too. WSU is in a world of hurt, particularly in filling those late season games. But no one on my board other than me will even discuss it.

I would be real surprised if any of your 4 traitors get a better deal than the others. That would be stupid. Oh wait, we are talking about Pac-2 leadership. I would also expect that the next two would get the same deal. I reallyyyy want to know just what that deal is. Specifically, how much of the exit fees is the Pac going to cover? It will come out eventually, but WSU and OSU supporters have a right, if not a need, to know.

I would not answer the phone either. BSU, CSU and Fresno have their schedules filled for 2025, as probably the rest of the MW does too. WSU is in a world of hurt, particularly in filling those late season games. But no one on my board other than me will even discuss it.

I would be real surprised if any of your 4 traitors get a better deal than the others. That would be stupid. Oh wait, we are talking about Pac-2 leadership. I would also expect that the next two would get the same deal. I reallyyyy want to know just what that deal is. Specifically, how much of the exit fees is the Pac going to cover? It will come out eventually, but WSU and OSU supporters have a right, if not a need, to know.
I'm sure they don't want to disclose the deal that those 4 got, as it may impact any other deals that they're able to make with the others. The issue now is that it's the 6 schools together that decide, right? And not just OSU/WSU? So if the PAC agreed to pay 1/2 the fees for those 4, it's not likely the incoming 4 would agree to pay more than that for Memphis, or any other school, IMO.

I also wonder what the PAC agreement looks like in terms of exit fees, etc. Are they somehow going to be tied to the yet to be determined media contract? Lots of unknowns at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT