ADVERTISEMENT

IF REMAINING MWC TEAMS WERE SMART

Yeah, that name poaching is just a name started on one of these forums. But, yes the PAC owes us that $43 million within 30 days.
We agree. So assuming the Pac-2 writes that check, when does it get distributed? As far as exit fees go, I am assumning that they will be payable on 6/30/26. How can you be charged for something you haven't done yet? Although I guess I could argue the same about the poaching fee.

OK, so we need a secret handshake deal to take UNLV and AF or whoever. To be announced once you get some of that poaching money. :)

Reactions: LVRebel2000
We agree. So assuming the Pac-2 writes that check, when does it get distributed? As far as exit fees go, I am assumning that they will be payable on 6/30/26. How can you be charged for something you haven't done yet? Although I guess I could argue the same about the poaching fee.

OK, so we need a secret handshake deal to take UNLV and AF or whoever. To be announced once you get some of that poaching money. :)
I think it would be up to the Presidents to tell Gloria when to make that payment to the 8 schools.

As for the exit fees I don't have access to any MWC bylaws or whatever they might be called so I don't know when exit fees get distributed.

IMO, it seems like it would be really difficult for Tulane and Memphis to commit to this new conference. A few of the challenges are:

1. AAC departure. The current conference requirements say a departing school needs to provide a 27 month notice, as well as pay a $10 exit fee. The thing that sticks out most is the 27 month exit fee, since the PAC would need the new schools to be part of the conference sooner than that. It's likely the conference would let them go earlier, but at a higher exit fee. In the last round of exits (Houston, etc), it was $18 million per school with the shorter notice.

2. No known media deal for the the PAC conference. The current AAC deal gives each school around $7 million per year, so they would have to give that up, for an unknown amount as part of the new PAC deal.

3. Travel. Currently, the 4 of the 6 schools in the new PAC are on the West coast, with Boise State not being too far from the west and CSU being the most central. Assuming that the PAC adds Tulane and Memphis, you'd be logging a ton of travel time and expense. It isn't terrible for football only, due to the lower number of games, but it would definitely add up for all other sports, which is what I'm assuming the PAC is looking to fill the spots for, not football only. It wouldn't be as bad for the other 6 PAC schools since they're mostly regional, and they would only have to travel to Tulane and Memphis periodically, but Tulane and Memphis would be making those long trips for 6 of their 7 roadtrips.

IMO, it seems like it would be really difficult for Tulane and Memphis to commit to this new conference. A few of the challenges are:

1. AAC departure. The current conference requirements say a departing school needs to provide a 27 month notice, as well as pay a $10 exit fee. The thing that sticks out most is the 27 month exit fee, since the PAC would need the new schools to be part of the conference sooner than that. It's likely the conference would let them go earlier, but at a higher exit fee. In the last round of exits (Houston, etc), it was $18 million per school with the shorter notice.

2. No known media deal for the the PAC conference. The current AAC deal gives each school around $7 million per year, so they would have to give that up, for an unknown amount as part of the new PAC deal.

3. Travel. Currently, the 4 of the 6 schools in the new PAC are on the West coast, with Boise State not being too far from the west and CSU being the most central. Assuming that the PAC adds Tulane and Memphis, you'd be logging a ton of travel time and expense. It isn't terrible for football only, due to the lower number of games, but it would definitely add up for all other sports, which is what I'm assuming the PAC is looking to fill the spots for, not football only. It wouldn't be as bad for the other 6 PAC schools since they're mostly regional, and they would only have to travel to Tulane and Memphis periodically, but Tulane and Memphis would be making those long trips for 6 of their 7 roadtrips.
I really feel if they get Tulane and Memphis to commit, they need to bridge the gab some. Get Texas State and UTSA. Gives you some local interest with the rivalry, a small piece of texas, and reasonably distanced road games for Memphis and Tulane.

Looking at current makeup, Tulane is only slightly closer to the rest of the AAC anyway. Memphis being far west tennessee, they are more in the footprint of course.

I keep seeing North Texas involved in posts and commentary (mostly Twitter). They be second to last resort for Pac 12 into Texas imo. UTEP would be the only one I would want less if I was P12

FAU
Charlotte
ECU
Temple
Navy

Those 5 aren't much further from Tulane than 4 or 5 of the PAC12 schools, right? I haven't mapped and my geography sucks east of Colorado....

I really feel if they get Tulane and Memphis to commit, they need to bridge the gab some. Get Texas State and UTSA. Gives you some local interest with the rivalry, a small piece of texas, and reasonably distanced road games for Memphis and Tulane.

Looking at current makeup, Tulane is only slightly closer to the rest of the AAC anyway. Memphis being far west tennessee, they are more in the footprint of course.

I keep seeing North Texas involved in posts and commentary (mostly Twitter). They be second to last resort for Pac 12 into Texas imo. UTEP would be the only one I would want less if I was P12

FAU
Charlotte
ECU
Temple
Navy

Those 5 aren't much further from Tulane than 4 or 5 of the PAC12 schools, right? I haven't mapped and my geography sucks east of Colorado....
I guess it depends on what they're looking to do. Do they really want to create a new conference that spans from Washington to Florida? Maybe they do, but I was thinking they would try to stay somewhat more regional.

I guess it is possible to wait for the 43 mil guaranteed in poaching fees, then dissolve. Not sure if there is a stipulation in that 43 mil poaching fee protecting against that. I would assume there would be, but maybe not.

But again, we are leaving out the other 72 million in exit fees. Those will likely go away. So which of these remaining schools are financially sound to give up and additional 10 mil+ a piece, more if AFA leaves for the AAC just to try to join the CUSA?

If nothing changes and the MW tries to rebuild with some CUSA teams, perhaps a couple of others, they will have the capital to poach, and I believe the new schools will get a slight bump in annual revenue. It would be less than what the MW gets now, far less, but likely better than what the CUSA currently gets.

It depends how far they want to stretch the footprint, but I can see the MW going after Liberty for instance.

I really don't think the MW dissolves. I would personally love that. I think we would be in the PAC the next day. Hell the Big 12 may kick the tires if it doesn't have to pony up front. But dissolving the conference takes millions of dollars out of the leftovers that they can't afford to give up. It would be stupid for them to do so.

I guess it depends on what they're looking to do. Do they really want to create a new conference that spans from Washington to Florida? Maybe they do, but I was thinking they would try to stay somewhat more regional.
Oh my point was if I'm Tulane, going to need pac 12 isn't much different than being in current AAC. I absolutely do not want those schools I listed in New pac 12. Sorry for clarity issues!

Oh my point was if I'm Tulane, going to need pac 12 isn't much different than being in current AAC. I absolutely do not want those schools I listed in New pac 12. Sorry for clarity issues!
The current AAC was able to mitgate their hit to their contract when they lost Houston, Cincy, SMU, UCF, etc by offering the replacement schools less money. So the leftovers were able to keep their 7 mil a piece.

However, they are on shaky ground, because Memphis and Tulane are on deck for being poached again. If that were to happen, the remaining schools would not be able to afford their 7 mil a year, so that will likely drop as well

Also, I think it is reasonable to infer that if the PAC is going after Memphis and Tulane, they are expecting offer more than the 7 mil they are currently getting. Right? It would not be worth it just to match, they would have to exceed that number especially considering travel.

The current AAC was able to mitgate their hit to their contract when they lost Houston, Cincy, SMU, UCF, etc by offering the replacement schools less money. So the leftovers were able to keep their 7 mil a piece.

However, they are on shaky ground, because Memphis and Tulane are on deck for being poached again. If that were to happen, the remaining schools would not be able to afford their 7 mil a year, so that will likely drop as well

Also, I think it is reasonable to infer that if the PAC is going after Memphis and Tulane, they are expecting offer more than the 7 mil they are currently getting. Right? It would not be worth it just to match, they would have to exceed that number especially considering travel.
Dang, did I leave it unclear again?

I get pac 12 and memphis+tulane mutual interest and support it. I'd prefer they go after Texas State and utsa, too, if I were Mem/Tule. I meant those 5 schools I listed I do not want to be in new pac 12, but are current AAC members. The lack of regionality is not sustainable for one or two outliers in g6, imi. When it comes to money, p4 can do it because of financial offset of media deals. If pac 12 ends up >$10m, I can definitely see it making sense for 2-4 AAC/non-western schools making the move.

If that happens, it neutered the AAC to the point where it isn't different than CUSA or SBC.

You would think that's the case unless you were those 2 programs and worried that your conference was one raid away from looking like the MWC is right now... Falling apart without a real outlook for improvement.
I do wonder as the pieces move again, do existing TV contracts get pulled? Like the AAC's contract was written when there was more heavy hitters there, now you pull away their top brands why would the existing contract not be required to be revisited. Is 7 million dollars even a realistic expectation for say UNLV or an AFA to be looking at moving over there if the true brands responsible for that number to begin with are gone?

Screw it.

MWC go crazy.

AFA likely out regardless.

Go get NMSU, LIBERTY, Texas State, North Texas, Rice, Send overtures to Memphis, Tulane and maybe Tulsa? as well.

Create an East/West thing.

I don't know I can't see a viable path of keeping MWC at its current status.
Build a tiered G5 super conference... There are some heavies like UNLV that could get a bigger payout advantage like Boise had over MWC. then maybe a mid-tier of programs that are your typical G5 mid-major schools, and then a lower tier of emerging schools that want a slightly higher cut of the $ but arent ready for the big leagues yet market wise that get more than say the CUSA payout but less than what MWC schools currently make. Then we dominate and level up in a few years when Big 12 finally decides to go to 20 teams...

Screw it.

MWC go crazy.

AFA likely out regardless.

Go get NMSU, LIBERTY, Texas State, North Texas, Rice, Send overtures to Memphis, Tulane and maybe Tulsa? as well.

Create an East/West thing.

I don't know I can't see a viable path of keeping MWC at its current status.
The question would be, do North Texas, Rice, Memphis and Tulane want to spend the $10-18 million to get out of the AAC, where they currently get $7 million / year, to go to a new MWC conference, that as of now doesn't have a media deal after next season? That's a big payment to make to go into a pretty unstable situation.

I haven't seen (or been able to find) what the exit fee is for leaving Conference USA, so it's likely that you could get NMSU, Liberty or Texas State at lower costs, but it's a cost/benefit as to how much they would bring to the new look MWC.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the MWC responds, as well as individual schools.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
You would think that's the case unless you were those 2 programs and worried that your conference was one raid away from looking like the MWC is right now... Falling apart without a real outlook for improvement.
I do wonder as the pieces move again, do existing TV contracts get pulled? Like the AAC's contract was written when there was more heavy hitters there, now you pull away their top brands why would the existing contract not be required to be revisited. Is 7 million dollars even a realistic expectation for say UNLV or an AFA to be looking at moving over there if the true brands responsible for that number to begin with are gone?
That kind of my point about jumping to the AAC right now.

If UNLV and AFA jumped to the AAC tomorrow. I can almost guarantee we would NOT be getting 7 mil. That contract was set up when they still had their 4 best markets. Their most recent additions are not getting 7 mil, though I could not find an actual number. Those best markets that led to the 7 mil payout are gone, and their next 2 best markets may be poached as well. Not just the PAC, I can see the Big 12 interested as well.

If UNLV does not get poached, and really the remaining MW teams, are better suited to stay put, collect a nice chunk of change from the buyouts and fees, then maybe try to rebuild or even better merge with the CUSA or AAC and create a regional cross country conference.

Last edited:
The question would be, do North Texas, Rice, Memphis and Tulane want to spend the $10-18 million to get out of the AAC, where they currently get $7 million / year, to go to a new MWC conference, that as of now doesn't have a media deal after next season? That's a big payment to make to go into a pretty unstable situation.

I haven't seen (or been able to find) what the exit fee is for leaving Conference USA, so it's likely that you could get NMSU, Liberty or Texas State at lower costs, but it's a cost/benefit as to how much they would bring to the new look MWC.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the MWC responds, as well as individual schools.

No. Probably not.

I was being a little sarcastic.

I don't think that the MW could entice any legacy AAC school. Not enough money for that.

I can see a potential merger if the AAC gets raided as well.

I don't think the fees for CUSA would be much, since these are based off of contract worth, and they don't get that much currently. it is worth 750k pre school annually and they are in year 3 of a 5 year contract

I don't think that the MW could entice any legacy AAC school. Not enough money for that.

I can see a potential merger if the AAC gets raided as well.

I don't think the fees for CUSA would be much, since these are based off of contract worth, and they don't get that much currently. it is worth 750k pre school annually and they are in year 3 of a 5 year contract
I think thats what most of these G5s are really looking at in the future. I still dont see how the Pac 12 thinks its getting an AAC level pay out. If you're a TV media group, why are you paying that... What product are you really getting besides the limited name recognition Boise may bring and SDSU may bring. does Tulane and Memphis really draw the dollars? Who are they talking with that they're being sold a huge payday? Or is it simply their way of dismantling the MWC while keeping their cash and ditching a few mediocre programs in their wake because we had the stuff to tell them, you're over rated and need us...

I think UNLV and AF going into the AAC will help keep the media rights revenue at $7 million. Seems to me you're trading schools with similar value.

ESPN will let us know.

I think thats what most of these G5s are really looking at in the future. I still dont see how the Pac 12 thinks its getting an AAC level pay out. If you're a TV media group, why are you paying that... What product are you really getting besides the limited name recognition Boise may bring and SDSU may bring. does Tulane and Memphis really draw the dollars? Who are they talking with that they're being sold a huge payday? Or is it simply their way of dismantling the MWC while keeping their cash and ditching a few mediocre programs in their wake because we had the stuff to tell them, you're over rated and need us...
I think people are really underselling WAZZU and OSU. There is a huge gap between even the 7 mil that the AAC and the 30 mil that the PAC had an offer for before they broke up.
They are big state schools with strong followings.
They aren't worth 30 mil, but it doesn't mean that they are worth 3 either.
The MW, AAC, and CUSA all have a lot of fat. The PAC is cutting out the fat and are targetting schools that will get them to the minimum requirement while maximizing payouts.
So if the PAC is truly targetting memphis and Tulane, that means they are worth it, and expect to get well north of 7 mil per school with their inclusion.

I think UNLV and AF going into the AAC will help keep the media rights revenue at $7 million. Seems to me you're trading schools with similar value.
Not really.
Without the last Big 12 defectors we KNOW that their contract is not worth 7 mil for every team. That has been reported. Would UNLV and AFA raise the floor some? Sure. But we know it would not bring it back up to the 7 mil per team level.

Lose Tulane and Memphis for sure it would be less. I think it is safe to say that Memphis brings more eyeballs than UNLV, Tulane? Probably pretty comparable.

I think people are really underselling WAZZU and OSU. There is a huge gap between even the 7 mil that the AAC and the 30 mil that the PAC had an offer for before they broke up.
They are big state schools with strong followings.
They aren't worth 30 mil, but it doesn't mean that they are worth 3 either.
The MW, AAC, and CUSA all have a lot of fat. The PAC is cutting out the fat and are targetting schools that will get them to the minimum requirement while maximizing payouts.
So if the PAC is truly targetting memphis and Tulane, that means they are worth it, and expect to get well north of 7 mil per school with their inclusion.

Like it or not this was well coordinated and is likely further along than any of us think or know.

Whether UNLV is included in any plans is the biggest question mark.

I would almost argue the best thing for us outside of the Big 12 (highly unlikely) and PAC would be to go independent, continue to build up our value and see how things shake out. Creating a new conference with schools left out of other expansions could be an option.

That road is very difficult (especially filling out a schedule) and is highly unlikely to happen, but if the ACC crumbles, it could be the best overall scenario.

Reactions: ckfitz
Like it or not this was well coordinated and is likely further along than any of us think or know.

Whether UNLV is included in any plans is the biggest question mark.
I think we are at least still in the mix, but perhaps not worth the additional nearly 30 mil that would come with a 5th MW school. At least not yet. If they get desperate and teams turn them down, I think they come back to UNLV.

I would almost argue the best thing for us outside of the Big 12 (highly unlikely) and PAC would be to go independent, continue to build up our value and see how things shake out. Creating a new conference with schools left out of other expansions could be an option.

That road is very difficult (especially filling out a schedule) and is highly unlikely to happen, but if the ACC crumbles, it could be the best overall scenario.
The only independent that has a shot at the playoff is ND. I think the autobid for the g5 spot goes to a conference champion. I could be wrong.
I know that OSU and WAZZU are not eligible for that spot this year. They have to be at least top 11 to get in this year.

I don't know man. Independent is brutal. Unless you're Notre Dame.

No media deal.
Scheduling a nightmare.
No conference affiliation might take us out of CFP format (I don't know on that).

I think we are at least still in the mix, but perhaps not worth the additional nearly 30 mil that would come with a 5th MW school. At least not yet. If they get desperate and teams turn them down, I think they come back to UNLV.

Regardless its not great.

If they deplete the AAC then the MWC should try and hold out and poach best options available.

I'm not being hyperbolic but if we were in CUSA I'm not sure I would care all that much anymore.

The only independent that has a shot at the playoff is ND. I think the autobid for the g5 spot goes to a conference champion. I could be wrong.
I know that OSU and WAZZU are not eligible for that spot this year. They have to be at least top 11 to get in this year.
No you are not wrong. Top 5 league champions get auto bids. Which means G5. WSU's only chance is to run the table and get an at-large bid. Highly unlikely. Now ask me again in 3 weeks. If we beat BSU and Fresno, our chances get better (but still dim).

Well if MWC decides to hold together and merge with CUSA and UNLV doesn't find a landing spot.

Welcome to The Conference Of United States of American Mountains

COUSAM 12

For short.
LOL. I think that is our floor. I really don't think the MW full dissolves, unfortunately. If by some miracle that happens, then I think we get upgraded.

I think possibly the worst case is staying MW, and rebuilding with some CUSA teams and maybe some FCS.
Slightly better than that would be merging with the CUSA. Just because we will hold on to more money that way.
Better than that will be merging with the AAC, but that seem unlikely, unless they really get gutted.
Joining the AAC? maybe better than that. Depending on what is left of the AAC. It would really tax us with the travel. Having more than one other regional partner would be better. But honestly not sure if it would be financially better. If we stay in the MW we are getting 15 mil. more if More if AFA bolts.

I really don't see a scenario where we just join the CUSA.

LOL. I think that is our floor. I really don't think the MW full dissolves, unfortunately. If by some miracle that happens, then I think we get upgraded.

I think possibly the worst case is staying MW, and rebuilding with some CUSA teams and maybe some FCS.
Slightly better than that would be merging with the CUSA. Just because we will hold on to more money that way.
Better than that will be merging with the AAC, but that seem unlikely, unless they really get gutted.
Joining the AAC? maybe better than that. Depending on what is left of the AAC. It would really tax us with the travel. Having more than one other regional partner would be better. But honestly not sure if it would be financially better. If we stay in the MW we are getting 15 mil. more if More if AFA bolts.

I really don't see a scenario where we just join the CUSA.

Well let's hope so because Conference of United Mountains

CUM12 would be awful!

(I apologize in advance for going for such low hanging fruit. I'm actually ashamed).

I don't know man. Independent is brutal. Unless you're Notre Dame.

No media deal.
Scheduling a nightmare.
No conference affiliation might take us out of CFP format (I don't know on that).
Yeah, I know it would be a tough go, and completely understand they are not considering it. My thought was that waiting for a better option is potentially better than taking a lesser one and then having to pay to get out of that conference should another opportunity comes along. I just don’t see how the AAC even in its current format, is that much better of an option than the left overs of the MWC. Especially wouldn’t be if Tulane and Memphis were to leave. CUSA is even worse. If the ACC were to implode, you may find a better fit with some of the left overs than the other 2 options.

I feel the PAC 6 actually over played their hand, because when the dust settles, the PAC 6 or the MWC or the AAC are all G5 and that will never change. So why would Memphis leave the AAC if they can knock off a P4 school like FSU and then run the table in the AAC and make the college football tournament? Same for Tulane or any other AAC school.

This is a new era in college football. For any school to have any chance of moving up when the next round of conference movement occurs, what is achieved in the tournament era by a G5 school is what matters. Just last year, Liberty runs the table in CUSA and is ranked as high as 18th in the AP poll.

I feel the PAC 6 actually over played their hand, because when the dust settles, the PAC 6 or the MWC or the AAC are all G5 and that will never change. So why would Memphis leave the AAC if they can knock off a P4 school like FSU and then run the table in the AAC and make the college football tournament? Same for Tulane or any other AAC school.

This is a new era in college football. For any school to have any chance of moving up when the next round of conference movement occurs, what is achieved in the tournament era by a G5 school is what matters. Just last year, Liberty runs the table in CUSA and is ranked as high as 18th in the AP poll.

I think it comes down to if you are a G5 do you want to be the new PAC with potentially 5+ million a year media deal or CUSA under a million?

I wish my Coug brethren on my board were half as much fun as you guys. They are humorless.

Sir our football has been so bad we have had threads devolve into the evils soccer and all kicking related activity as a way for communists to infiltrate our country.

And those threads have more hits than post game recaps.

It happens when you average 3.5 wins over 25 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT