ADVERTISEMENT

I thought that chicks dig the long ball

I’ve seen you throw a baseball, you forget. The skill level required for baseball is very high. You take it for granted because they make it look easy.

And aside from the skill, the chess like part of the game is appealing to some, like me.

You don’t have to like it. Many don’t.

Let’s play catch. I can promise me you will have difficulty catching my knuckleball thrown at 60 mph let alone hit it. And you’ll think your eyes will be like you took high dose budesonide, feels like they flutter ….

You say baseball is standing around … yet you enjoy (but suck at) golf …. You get about 3 minutes of actual active game activity over 18 holes.
Exactly. You can't just be a freak athlete and be good at baseball. It takes athleticism, but also a lot of skill and hand/eye coordination. The #1 overall draft pick in the NFL, Caleb Williams, recently took some swings in the batting cage and it was very cringe worthy. I'm thinking, this guy is an athlete? It was pretty bad.

Edit to add that he's just hitting it off a tee and looks that bad. Imagine him trying to hit a ball being thrown

Beyond the playing days, I also grew up around Cashman Field and saw the Stars play. My little league field was across the street. My friends played baseball. I played baseball. We also played other sports and basketball and volleyball were my favorite to play.

Nostalgia is why I still love baseball. I can't tell you more than 2-3 guys on a given team right now, if that many, but I can tell you about my dad being one of my little league coaches, along with my two other "dads." (Dads of good friends who allowed me to eat and sleep at their homes, drive me to/from school and games if needed, etc.).
I can't bring my dad back, but I still have memories about him. Some of those involve baseball.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
"We’ve pussified everything."

Absolutely everything!!

In some ways for the better. Helmet to helmet hits..Yeah needed to go in football.

The reduced physicality in basketball has made the NBA unwatchable (at least for me). It's basically a three point shooting contest with some ISO mixed in.

Load management? Garbage.

In some ways for the better. Helmet to helmet hits..Yeah needed to go in football.

The reduced physicality in basketball has made the NBA unwatchable (at least for me). It's basically a three point shooting contest with some ISO mixed in.

Load management? Garbage.
Yeah, that was the term, load management. Load of bullshit.

Yeah, that was the term, load management. Load of bullshit.

There was some report on the % of players that played all 82 games of the season Basketball vs Hockey and hockey had a considerably higher number of guys playing all 82.

Considering that both seasons are 82 games. And hockey is infinitely more physical I was shocked to see it.

Not sure why. Culturally? And no I'm not talking about race before anybody suggests it (Hockey being predominantly white NBA black)

The culture within the sport. Playing through injury is a badge of honor in hockey. If I'm out here the day after getting my front teeth knocked out, you sure as crap better be with that thigh bruise from taking puck) I don't get that feeling in basketball.

Both are team sports but basketball has more of a 'get yours' mentality that I think stems from AAU ball...It lessens the importance of 'team' and ultimately winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
I've heard numerous stories about parents taking their children to various sporting events to watch their favorite players, only to have that player sitting out that day due to fatigue, or the equivalent.

This was my point. Without looking back, his lowest inning total was 7 and it doesn't look like he missed any starts. Maybe I'm alone in this nowadays but I respect that. He was solid in terms of work ethic, which is what I truly respect the most. "I agree to this job and I'll be reliable to do my best" is such a lost art now. I'm embarrassed for all of the 'get mine with minimal work' crowd.

Exactly. You can't just be a freak athlete and be good at baseball. It takes athleticism, but also a lot of skill and hand/eye coordination. The #1 overall draft pick in the NFL, Caleb Williams, recently took some swings in the batting cage and it was very cringe worthy. I'm thinking, this guy is an athlete? It was pretty bad.

Edit to add that he's just hitting it off a tee and looks that bad. Imagine him trying to hit a ball being thrown

Beyond the playing days, I also grew up around Cashman Field and saw the Stars play. My little league field was across the street. My friends played baseball. I played baseball. We also played other sports and basketball and volleyball were my favorite to play.

Nostalgia is why I still love baseball. I can't tell you more than 2-3 guys on a given team right now, if that many, but I can tell you about my dad being one of my little league coaches, along with my two other "dads." (Dads of good friends who allowed me to eat and sleep at their homes, drive me to/from school and games if needed, etc.).
I can't bring my dad back, but I still have memories about him. Some of those involve baseball.
Nostalgia is the only reason to watch sports.

I grew up in Millington TN. It was the training place for the baseball Olympics team if I recall correctly. At the age of 4, I was part of the ball team that won it all. We were called the Dragons and our unis were all yellow. I moved up to regular pitch baseball in the second grade. I was scared of the ball and my coach was a huge douchebag.

Just because YOU grew up on it, doesn’t mean it’s the greatest sport of all time.

Baseball is expensive and time consuming. These days, only rich people can afford that sport.

• Haha

I grew up in Millington TN. It was the training place for the baseball Olympics team if I recall correctly. At the age of 4, I was part of the ball team that won it all. We were called the Dragons and our unis were all yellow. I moved up to regular pitch baseball in the second grade. I was scared of the ball and my coach was a huge douchebag.

Just because YOU grew up on it, doesn’t mean it’s the greatest sport of all time.

Baseball is expensive and time consuming. These days, only rich people can afford that sport.
Dude, do you have kids? Every sport is expensive these days. Some of the most expensive are gymnastics, dance, golf, and hockey. Every sport these days has "club" teams and year round options, all of which come with a price tag. You can spend a fortune, or keep it reasonable depending on your preferences and choices. Baseball is definitely not crazy in terms of cost. Some friends of mine have their kids in soccer and they pay way more than what I've seen for most baseball teams

Last edited:

Greatest anything is going to be wildly subjective. No right or wrong answer.

For me - it’s Americana … it’s folklore, it’s tradition, class, it’s the best superstitions …. It was the great distraction for trying times … it’s the best records, a game with humble players (back in the day), regular guys who were heroes to children …

And that’s just the history of the game … far, far surpasses any other American sport in that regard, it’s dripping with richness. I love that part of baseball, it’s a romance notion.

When you top that with, what I consider to be very intricate strategy and understanding of nuance …. The uniqueness of 1 vs 9 …. The incredible eye/hand coordination … the high level of cat and mouse …. So, so much more … to be honest, if you don’t actually experience it, I don’t know that you can truly appreciate it.

I think it’s the most brilliant game when everything is taken into consideration. But that’s for me and not many others.

I’ve seen you throw a baseball, you forget. The skill level required for baseball is very high. You take it for granted because they make it look easy.

And aside from the skill, the chess like part of the game is appealing to some, like me.

You don’t have to like it. Many don’t.

Let’s play catch. I can promise me you will have difficulty catching my knuckleball thrown at 60 mph let alone hit it. And you’ll think your eyes will be like you took high dose budesonide, feels like they flutter ….

You say baseball is standing around … yet you enjoy (but suck at) golf …. You get about 3 minutes of actual active game activity over 18 holes.
I throw it like a javelin.

Dude, do you have kids? Every sport is expensive these days. Some of the most expensive are gymnastics, dance, golf, and hockey. Every sport these days has "club" teams and year round options, all of which come with a price tag. You can spend a fortune, or keep it reasonable depending on your preferences and choices. Baseball is definitely not crazy in terms of cost. Some friends of mine have their kids in soccer and they pay way more than what I've seen for most baseball teams
The aging physical therapist can’t even answer the damn question.

It’s okay though.

#feelings

Basketball is easy. Buy some basketball shoes and a basketball.

Soccer…cleats..soccer ball.

Baseball..depending what position. Cleats, baseball bat, glove, catcher mitts, armor, baseballs..

Boxing..different gloves, boxing shoes, wraps,

Football..armor, cleats, football, helmet..

Golf is expensive AF.

**** all your retarded kids.

Totally! I have no other life than doing that. How did you figure me out so easily?

By the way, why get mad about a thread that is labeled as OT and clearly about baseball for the entire time. I don’t get mad that you go to movies or still follow Star Wars.
Listen, he wears flaming pink and chartreuse with a cowboy hat, throws like a left handed girl that’s a righty, does karaoke in all white including white dress shoes like cousin Eddie gave to Clark, signing Suddenly by Billy Ocean, he has a transformer fetish that slightly tails his fetish for Ewoks, you should see him golf, and he has so much game that he can’t pop a skanky drunken ho because of his scared little turtle.

When he criticizes, take it with the whole shaker full of salt.

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Listen, he wears flaming pink and chartreuse with a cowboy hat, throws like a left handed girl that’s a righty, does karaoke in all white including white dress shoes like cousin Eddie gave to Clark, signing Suddenly by Billy Ocean, he has a transformer fetish that slightly tails his fetish for Ewoks, you should see him golf, and he has so much game that he can’t pop a skanky drunken ho because of his scared little turtle.

When he criticizes, take it with the whole shaker full of salt.
I'm aware of his 'reputation' by now on all fronts.

I'm aware of his 'reputation' by now on all fronts.
Baseball f’n sucks
Totally! I have no other life than doing that. How did you figure me out so easily?

By the way, why get mad about a thread that is labeled as OT and clearly about baseball for the entire time. I don’t get mad that you go to movies or still follow Star Wars.
you deserve a participation trophy for being born before 1980.

Baseball f’n sucks

you deserve a participation trophy for being born before 1980.
We did actually have those way back then. They were lame. I’m talking back to early little league. Of course, everyone wanted the MVP trophy.

But they expanded it to best hitter, best defensive player, best teammate, best leader, most improved, most punctual, most inspirational … and it kept going and going and going. It was so fkn lame. And no, I didn’t win the MVP trophy every year and I was ok with that, but getting anything else felt like being spit upon. Early little league we didn’t have that. It changed around 1980 (for me).

I swear. Accepting, admitting …. Absorbing failure, falling short of a goal, etc - I see it as a strength. Celebrating the opposite is one of the things that makes people weak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT