ADVERTISEMENT

I assume you guys follow the Raiders?

I would have much preferred a MLB expansion team over the A’s. I wish they went to Salt Lake City instead. I am not a Raiders fan, and I won’t be an A’s fan. Unlike the Raiders though, I won’t root against the A’s. I just don’t care about them.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
While I'm a Steelers fan first and foremost, Davis is doing some good things in the community overall.

I doubt that the A's will come close to matching that. In fact, they are already appearing to be snake oil salesmen in that the renderings of the stadium don't appear to be an option at all (unless you knock out all of the apartments and close the roads in that area). They seem to be paying off the right politicians, though, so they have that in their favor.
I would be scared of Utah making a push for the A’s..

nuke the A’s and start a brand new team in Vegas would be my answer.

At least they are making a push to host for 1 season.

Never discount Mormon money..
Utah has six billionaires, Nevada has 17, also the average income in Nevada is almost 25% above that of Utah. Utah has a history of doing things on the cheap!
They don't but its a viable place for expansion.

There in the mix with the NHL as either an expansion sight or moving the Coyotes out of Arizona.
They are a very good fit for hockey, but are unlikely to see a football team for a long time. In regards to baseball, it is possible, but most likely years after Las Vegas either gets a new team or the A's.

Utah has six billionaires, Nevada has 17, also the average income in Nevada is almost 25% above that of Utah. Utah has a history of doing things on the cheap!

They are a very good fit for hockey, but are unlikely to see a football team for a long time. In regards to baseball, it is possible, but most likely years after Las Vegas either gets a new team or the A's.

Definitely not debating the money.

But it would be a prime place for baseball expansion. Loyal fan base. They do pretty well with triple A attendance I believe (at least they use too not sure now).

NFL...Yeah maybe but down the road.

Hockey expansion probably more desirable route for fans. Because it feels more 'yours' like the Knights. But I could see them adopting the Yotes as theirs.

I think As will do pretty well here to be honest. Vegas is a destination sight already, add in a chance to see your favorite team play a lot of away fans will help keep attendance numbers up. Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Dodgers and Giants fans will likely overrun the place.

But it would be a prime place for baseball expansion. Loyal fan base. They do pretty well with triple A attendance I believe (at least they use too not sure now).

Hockey expansion probably more desirable route for fans. Because it feels more 'yours' like the Knights. But I could see them adopting the Yotes as theirs.

I think As will do pretty well here to be honest. Vegas is a destination sight already, add in a chance to see your favorite team play a lot of away fans will help keep attendance numbers up. Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Dodgers and Giants fans will likely overrun the place.
The Aviators average just under 7,000 per game Salt Lake 6,160 per game. The numbers are somewhat of a push.

I am still a bit skeptical on how well the A's will do.

NFL works because the Raiders have a somewhat baked in local fan base, plus a drivable extended fanbase into SoCal. Plus NFL games are pretty big events and easier to justify for a trip, especially for games that are on the weekends.

The Knights worked because they are "ours". But we all know the biggest reason is that they have been good right out of the gate.

The A's do not have a baked in local fanbase. They are not much of a national brand. They have been near the bottom or dead last in payroll for their players. Vegas loves winners.

The new stadium could be a draw in itself. The renderings look pretty cool and unique. I think there are more bigger fan bases in the AL ( Redsox, Yankees, etc). They do miss out on the Dodgers. I don't think the Angels have near the same fan base, but they are in the same division.

Weekday games during the hot Vegas summer? Even in the AC, that may be a bit rough.

They will also likely have a less lucrative TV deal. The LV market is much smaller for the bay area, also since the attachment rate of that market may not be great right away.

For it to succeed, they would need be very aggressive in free agency leading into that inaugural season. Create some buzz. If they continue to play money ball, and essentially be a AAAA club, then after the first few seasons, I can see it dying off. It will be tough, because the stadium will be expensive and their capital for players will likely be low.

I am still a bit skeptical on how well the A's will do.

NFL works because the Raiders have a somewhat baked in local fan base, plus a drivable extended fanbase into SoCal. Plus NFL games are pretty big events and easier to justify for a trip, especially for games that are on the weekends.

The Knights worked because they are "ours". But we all know the biggest reason is that they have been good right out of the gate.

The A's do not have a baked in local fanbase. They are not much of a national brand. They have been near the bottom or dead last in payroll for their players. Vegas loves winners.

The new stadium could be a draw in itself. The renderings look pretty cool and unique. I think there are more bigger fan bases in the AL ( Redsox, Yankees, etc). They do miss out on the Dodgers. I don't think the Angels have near the same fan base, but they are in the same division.

Weekday games during the hot Vegas summer? Even in the AC, that may be a bit rough.

They will also likely have a less lucrative TV deal. The LV market is much smaller for the bay area, also since the attachment rate of that market may not be great right away.

For it to succeed, they would need be very aggressive in free agency leading into that inaugural season. Create some buzz. If they continue to play money ball, and essentially be a AAAA club, then after the first few seasons, I can see it dying off. It will be tough, because the stadium will be expensive and their capital for players will likely be low.
Just in taxes alone, the players will see a huge pay increase by leaving the state of California. The state tax rate for the highest wage earners is 12.3%. The sales tax rate in Oakland is 10.25%. It also looks like the tax rates will be increasing even more in California. The average house in Oakland is about $800,000. The average cost of a house next door in SF is over $1.2 million. Moving to Las Vegas reduces cost across the board which will be a nice pay raise for players. Las Vegas also does very well with fans from other teams coming to see games in Las Vegas both for Hockey and for Football. Even while there isn't a big base of fans for the Oakland A's, there is a large local base for many other teams as well as fans (of other teams) in the surrounding states that will come to games. The same argument was made that nobody would go to Oakland Raiders games, and we can see that just wasn't true.

The temperature is the one big problem that they better deal with if they want to get fans during the summer months.

All the LV valley needs is another big straw drinking out of Pond Mead. A's need go elsewhere.

BTW, what's to happen to SBS? Seems like it's nearly illegal for it to even be used anymore.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The Aviators average just under 7,000 per game Salt Lake 6,160 per game. The numbers are somewhat of a push.

I think we're having two different conversations which happens on message boards a lot. 🙂

I'm not arguing Vegas vs Salt Lake. Just saying their attendance is solid for minor league baseball. Salt Lake is a viable market. They could and would support MLB/NHL.

Vegas is getting the A's for better or for worse.

Just in taxes alone, the players will see a huge pay increase by leaving the state of California. The state tax rate for the highest wage earners is 12.3%. The sales tax rate in Oakland is 10.25%. It also looks like the tax rates will be increasing even more in California. The average house in Oakland is about $800,000. The average cost of a house next door in SF is over $1.2 million. Moving to Las Vegas reduces cost across the board which will be a nice pay raise for players. Las Vegas also does very well with fans from other teams coming to see games in Las Vegas both for Hockey and for Football. Even while there isn't a big base of fans for the Oakland A's, there is a large local base for many other teams as well as fans (of other teams) in the surrounding states that will come to games. The same argument was made that nobody would go to Oakland Raiders games, and we can see that just wasn't true.

The temperature is the one big problem that they better deal with if they want to get fans during the summer months.
I'm sure the players would appreciate the tax breaks. But that's not going to help them become competitive.

The fact that the taxes are so high in Oakland makes it even worse. They are going to need to double if not triple their payroll to truly be competitive.

Agent for Tomas Hertl who was traded from San Jose to Vegas said..

This trade will save Tomas around 8 million dollars in taxes over the course of its six years...

Last edited:
All the LV valley needs is another big straw drinking out of Pond Mead. A's need go elsewhere.

BTW, what's to happen to SBS? Seems like it's nearly illegal for it to even be used anymore.
SBS is dead in the water. Bring your kids to motocross and monster truck. ( I actually that stuff ie..monster truck lol)

SBS is dead in the water. Bring your kids to motocross and monster truck. ( I actually that stuff ie..monster truck lol)
Only a portion of the land at SBS is owned by the board of regents, the rest was Clark County Parks and recreation. 69.07 acres is under the board of regents control which includes the stadium and a small portion of the parking area, 86.53 acres of the parking lot is owned by Clark County parks and recreation. Considering the land is surrounded on 3 of the four sides by park land, and the land is zoned public facility, and zoned public use, there may be very few uses allowed which means it could end up going back to being public park land ultimately. Otherwise if not public land, they would need to go for a zone change which would be to medium/high density residential that conforms to the property to the west.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT