ADVERTISEMENT

How the MW is making payments to us

Meister_Rebel

Retired Number
Jan 6, 2020
I just read today that the MWC Headquarters is moving to Las Vegas and leaving Colorado Springs. As soon as their HQ lease ends they will make the move and plan on staying at least through 2032.

In the "Agreement" we signed to stay in the MW. The $3.5 million media distribution will not change. If they have to the MW will utilize "a combination of revenue sources to maintain that distribution".

The MW members will have no obligations financially if they are picked up by a P4 conference.

Finance: They say they will be getting close to $150 million from the exiting schools and the poaching fees. So the order of payouts will look like this:

1. $61 million divided and given to the schools in the uneven percentages.
2. $18 million held in reserve for recruiting new schools
3. $21 million divided and given to the schools in the same uneven percentages.
4. Lawyers fees will be paid.
5. Anything left after the lawyers get paid will be divided as such: 15.83 percent for the six full members and 5 percent to Hawaii.

The article says that the payouts will begin on July 1, 2026 when the traitors leave and pay their exit fees. Interesting because I thought we were getting our share next year.

Edit: Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...tain-west-memo-realignment-unlv/?redirected=1

Last edited:
To add that the agreement is 11 pages long and the media got a copy of it through a freedom of information request. I'm sure this document will eventually find its way to the interwebs so please post a link if you happen to run across it.

So our base media contract is 3.5 mil? Does the 5-6 mil that is reported include all of the additional funds like the CFP money?

So our base media contract is 3.5 mil? Does the 5-6 mil that is reported include all of the additional funds like the CFP money?
Yeah, that base media contract we were always told was almost $4 million. The $5-6 million must include the CFP and Tourney payouts which we don't have to share with the traitors. I'm also assuming that $3.5 million is just for the current media contract. It could go up or may go down for the next one. Who knows at this point.

This is interesting because it does show some breakdowns.

It is interesting that they stop at 100 mil, I'm guessing this is to leave room for exit fee negotiations and/or poaching fee reduction.

So with this distribution, UNLV is set for just over 20 mil in total over the next 7 years plus a percentage of what is "left over"

(24.5% of the 82 mil distribution)

If the 3.5 is "guaranteed" I'm guessing legacy members make get an uneven distribution, and UTEP will get what they got in the CUSA lol,

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I just read today that the MWC Headquarters is moving to Las Vegas and leaving Colorado Springs. As soon as their HQ lease ends they will make the move and plan on staying at least through 2032.

In the "Agreement" we signed to stay in the MW. The $3.5 million media distribution will not change. If they have to the MW will utilize "a combination of revenue sources to maintain that distribution".

The MW members will have no obligations financially if they are picked up by a P4 conference.

Finance: They say they will be getting close to $150 million from the exiting schools and the poaching fees. So the order of payouts will look like this:

1. $61 million divided and given to the schools in the uneven percentages.
2. $18 million held in reserve for recruiting new schools
3. $21 million divided and given to the schools in the same uneven percentages.
4. Lawyers fees will be paid.
5. Anything left after the lawyers get paid will be divided as such: 15.83 percent for the six full members and 5 percent to Hawaii.

The article says that the payouts will begin on July 1, 2026 when the traitors leave and pay their exit fees. Interesting because I thought we were getting our share next year.

Edit: Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...tain-west-memo-realignment-unlv/?redirected=1
The only other difference is the payouts are to begin on OR before July 1, 2026. In the original release (that didn’t contain details) it stated that the large lump sum payments initially would be paid in 2025, but I assume that is dependent on collection efforts from the PAC2 for poaching penalties that are due now.

It is interesting that they stop at 100 mil, I'm guessing this is to leave room for exit fee negotiations and/or poaching fee reduction.

So with this distribution, UNLV is set for just over 20 mil in total over the next 7 years plus a percentage of what is "left over"

(24.5% of the 82 mil distribution)

If the 3.5 is "guaranteed" I'm guessing legacy members make get an uneven distribution, and UTEP will get what they got in the CUSA lol,

Have to think UTEP is getting some bump in their media payout. Why do it otherwise?

Perhaps you missed #4. "Lawyers fees will be paid".

The only other difference is the payouts are to begin on OR before July 1, 2026. In the original release (that didn’t contain details) it stated that the large lump sum payments initially would be paid in 2025, but I assume that is dependent on collection efforts from the PAC2 for poaching penalties that are due now.
That was 10-14 mil. Based off the poaching fees, my understanding.

That was 10-14 mil. Based off the poaching fees, my understanding.
If the poaching fee is $55 million I figure we may have lawyer costs of $1 million. That would give us $54 million to split up using those #5 percentages. (Assuming we win in court).

$55,000,000
-$1,000,000 blood suckers
$54,000,000

Hawaii:
$54,000,000 x .05 = $2,700,000
6 Full Members each: $54,000,000 x .1583 = $8,548,200
$53,989,200 That is close to the $54 million

So, what I see is we should be getting just from the poaching fees immediately is the $8,548,200 (more or less depending on lawyers). Also, don't forget they have to pay interest that is compounding daily on those poaching fees that started accumulating 30 days from the traitors giving notice.

Will the PAC have a clock like this for the debt they owe the MWC after losing the lawsuit?
debt GIF

If the poaching fee is $55 million I figure we may have lawyer costs of $1 million. That would give us $54 million to split up using those #5 percentages. (Assuming we win in court).

$55,000,000
$54,000,000

Hawaii:

So, what I see is we should be getting just from the poaching fees immediately is the $8,548,200 (more or less depending on lawyers). Also, don't forget they have to pay interest that is compounding daily on those poaching fees that started accumulating 30 days from the traitors giving notice.
My GUESS would be that the initial dispersments would be based on the unequal distribution percentages of 24.5/11.5/5, since that what was laid out initially in the MOU.

Normal distributions are made to the universities on June 1st of each year. So my guess is that they are basing their initial distribution numbers on the money being withheld from the departing schools to cover a portion of their exit fees and any money collected from the PAC2 for poaching fees.

I’m not 100 the number is correct but the number I’ve heard being paid to the schools each year is $6 million. So $30 million is being withheld and then they’re banking on collecting $55 million for a total of $85 million.

Which is about $4 million higher than item #1, so maybe normal distributions are expected to be closer to $5.2 million and that’s where the difference is?

Just speculation of course.

$55,000,000
$54,000,000

Hawaii:

I think UNLV is a straight 24.5% for everything.

Which would mean our first payment will be 13.23 mill in that scenario. This is also in the alignment of that 10-14 mil figure originally announced

We then get our cut of the payments on the exit fees. Typically these are paid over time. Which makes sense with the payment structure with us. (1.5-1.8 extra every year over the base contract for 6 years)

My GUESS would be that the initial dispersments would be based on the unequal distribution percentages of 24.5/11.5/5, since that what was laid out initially in the MOU.

Normal distributions are made to the universities on June 1st of each year. So my guess is that they are basing their initial distribution numbers on the money being withheld from the departing schools to cover a portion of their exit fees and any money collected from the PAC2 for poaching fees.

I’m not 100 the number is correct but the number I’ve heard being paid to the schools each year is $6 million. So $30 million is being withheld and then they’re banking on collecting $55 million for a total of $85 million.

Which is about $4 million higher than item #1, so maybe normal distributions are expected to be closer to $5.2 million and that’s where the difference is?

Just speculation of course.
6 mil per school? where is that coming from?

I have heard that as a possible number, but I really doubt it. If we are getting 3.5 base media payouts now, I doubt it gets better per school even with inflation.

I think the 6 was from people saying that "it should be about the same" something I am skeptical of like I just mentioned. But remember we are getting 6 this year only from the PAC 2 agreement, so that is a special circumstance that we shouldn't count on moving forward.

6 mil per school? where is that coming from?

I have heard that as a possible number, but I really doubt it. If we are getting 3.5 base media payouts now, I doubt it gets better per school even with inflation.

I think the 6 was from people saying that "it should be about the same" something I am skeptical of like I just mentioned. But remember we are getting 6 this year only from the PAC 2 agreement, so that is a special circumstance that we shouldn't count on moving forward.
Not sure… heard it multiple times, just can’t tell you from where. I’m sure it includes ALL sources of revenue… CFP payouts, NCAA credits, PAC2 agreements, etc.

I was only including the amount that would be forfeited next year, and I’ve heard it as $6million, but it could be less I suppose.

I think UNLV is a straight 24.5% for everything.

Which would mean our first payment will be 13.23 mill in that scenario. This is also in the alignment of that 10-14 mil figure originally announced

We then get our cut of the payments on the exit fees. Typically these are paid over time. Which makes sense with the payment structure with us. (1.5-1.8 extra every year over the base contract for 6 years)
Based on the article above and another that Geoff Grammer did a few days ago it’s just the first $82 million, then $18 million for reserves and to add teams, then lawyers, then the remainder is evenly split except Hawaii gets less.

Not sure… heard it multiple times, just can’t tell you from where. I’m sure it includes ALL sources of revenue… CFP payouts, NCAA credits, PAC2 agreements, etc.

I was only including the amount that would be forfeited next year, and I’ve heard it as $6million, but it could be less I suppose.
The $6 million I think is accurate. It's the media revenue + NCAA Tourney Units + CFP revenue. I think there is some other money that gets in there as well. BSU was getting something like $7.8 million on their annual payout so we had to be getting the $6 million. The CFP revenue per G5 team will go up to $1.8 this next year from the $1.5 we got the last time.

This next years payout will include the Scheduling Agreement money. I don't know if Gloria will give us the $1 million or a portion of it. You know we may have not received any of that scheduling money. As I recall the agreement said the first payment is due this month and was to be paid off in a total of 4 payments. So every few months they will pay the MWC $3 million for that total of $12 million.

Yes it did say that I guess that changed. I like they set aside money for new schools $18M maybe they can attract a school like Texas State with a sign on bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT