ADVERTISEMENT

How the MW is making payments to us

Meister_Rebel

Retired Number
Jan 6, 2020
I just read today that the MWC Headquarters is moving to Las Vegas and leaving Colorado Springs. As soon as their HQ lease ends they will make the move and plan on staying at least through 2032.

In the "Agreement" we signed to stay in the MW. The $3.5 million media distribution will not change. If they have to the MW will utilize "a combination of revenue sources to maintain that distribution".

The MW members will have no obligations financially if they are picked up by a P4 conference.

Finance: They say they will be getting close to $150 million from the exiting schools and the poaching fees. So the order of payouts will look like this:

1. $61 million divided and given to the schools in the uneven percentages.
2. $18 million held in reserve for recruiting new schools
3. $21 million divided and given to the schools in the same uneven percentages.
4. Lawyers fees will be paid.
5. Anything left after the lawyers get paid will be divided as such: 15.83 percent for the six full members and 5 percent to Hawaii.

The article says that the payouts will begin on July 1, 2026 when the traitors leave and pay their exit fees. Interesting because I thought we were getting our share next year.

Edit: Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...tain-west-memo-realignment-unlv/?redirected=1

Last edited:
To add that the agreement is 11 pages long and the media got a copy of it through a freedom of information request. I'm sure this document will eventually find its way to the interwebs so please post a link if you happen to run across it.

So our base media contract is 3.5 mil? Does the 5-6 mil that is reported include all of the additional funds like the CFP money?

To add that the agreement is 11 pages long and the media got a copy of it through a freedom of information request. I'm sure this document will eventually find its way to the interwebs so please post a link if you happen to run across it.

Explain this to me like I'm 5..

Is this still good or bad for UNLV..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
So our base media contract is 3.5 mil? Does the 5-6 mil that is reported include all of the additional funds like the CFP money?
Yeah, that base media contract we were always told was almost $4 million. The $5-6 million must include the CFP and Tourney payouts which we don't have to share with the traitors. I'm also assuming that $3.5 million is just for the current media contract. It could go up or may go down for the next one. Who knows at this point.

This is interesting because it does show some breakdowns.

It is interesting that they stop at 100 mil, I'm guessing this is to leave room for exit fee negotiations and/or poaching fee reduction.

So with this distribution, UNLV is set for just over 20 mil in total over the next 7 years plus a percentage of what is "left over"

(24.5% of the 82 mil distribution)

If the 3.5 is "guaranteed" I'm guessing legacy members make get an uneven distribution, and UTEP will get what they got in the CUSA lol,

I just read today that the MWC Headquarters is moving to Las Vegas and leaving Colorado Springs. As soon as their HQ lease ends they will make the move and plan on staying at least through 2032.

In the "Agreement" we signed to stay in the MW. The $3.5 million media distribution will not change. If they have to the MW will utilize "a combination of revenue sources to maintain that distribution".

The MW members will have no obligations financially if they are picked up by a P4 conference.

Finance: They say they will be getting close to $150 million from the exiting schools and the poaching fees. So the order of payouts will look like this:

1. $61 million divided and given to the schools in the uneven percentages.
2. $18 million held in reserve for recruiting new schools
3. $21 million divided and given to the schools in the same uneven percentages.
4. Lawyers fees will be paid.
5. Anything left after the lawyers get paid will be divided as such: 15.83 percent for the six full members and 5 percent to Hawaii.

The article says that the payouts will begin on July 1, 2026 when the traitors leave and pay their exit fees. Interesting because I thought we were getting our share next year.

Edit: Link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/58...tain-west-memo-realignment-unlv/?redirected=1
The only other difference is the payouts are to begin on OR before July 1, 2026. In the original release (that didn’t contain details) it stated that the large lump sum payments initially would be paid in 2025, but I assume that is dependent on collection efforts from the PAC2 for poaching penalties that are due now.

This is interesting because it does show some breakdowns.

It is interesting that they stop at 100 mil, I'm guessing this is to leave room for exit fee negotiations and/or poaching fee reduction.

So with this distribution, UNLV is set for just over 20 mil in total over the next 7 years plus a percentage of what is "left over"

(24.5% of the 82 mil distribution)

If the 3.5 is "guaranteed" I'm guessing legacy members make get an uneven distribution, and UTEP will get what they got in the CUSA lol,

Have to think UTEP is getting some bump in their media payout. Why do it otherwise?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT