ADVERTISEMENT

How do we make the title game?

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
I heard the announcers say we don’t control our own destiny. So if we win out who has to lose another game for us to make the conference title game?

I heard the announcers say we don’t control our own destiny. So if we win out who has to lose another game for us to make the conference title game?
That would obviously include a loss for AFA and would put us, AFA and FSU at 7-1. Get through the tangled web of tie breaker rules and it puts UNLV at Fresno for the championship game.

Of course, that means no upsets in the last two/three weeks besides UNLV over AFA.

Reactions: reagan21
That would obviously include a loss for AFA and would put us, AFA and FSU at 7-1. Get through the tangled web of tie breaker rules and it puts UNLV at Fresno for the championship game.

Of course, that means no upsets in the last two/three weeks besides UNLV over AFA.
So if we beat AF and SJSU we are in the title game? In that case we do control our own destiny the announcers had said otherwise. Yeah I wasn’t sure what the tiebreakers were if all three of us end with one loss what has to happen for us to make it.

Reactions: reagan21
So if we beat AF and SJSU we are in the title game? In that case we do control our own destiny the announcers had said otherwise. Yeah I wasn’t sure what the tiebreakers were if all three of us end with one loss what has to happen for us to make it.
If we win out, Fresno wins out, Air force wins the last game we would have a 3 way tie.
Fresno has the tie breaker over us, we would have the tie breaker over AFA. Fresno and Air Force didn't play. So it would be UNLV at Fresno for the title game.

If we win out, Fresno wins out, Air force wins the last game we would have a 3 way tie.
Fresno has the tie breaker over us, we would have the tie breaker over AFA. Fresno and Air Force didn't play. So it would be UNLV at Fresno for the title game.
The tie breaker rules are confusing. I’m not so sure that we end up in the CCG if we win out.

To answer the OP’s question, we need to root against Fresno and AFA.

The tie breaker rules are confusing. I’m not so sure that we end up in the CCG if we win out.

The rules I could find are confusing. But they are for a two division league. I couldn't find revised tiebreaker rules for the new single division lineup.

The rules I could find are confusing. But they are for a two division league. I couldn't find revised tiebreaker rules for the new single division lineup.
I’m sure UNLV isn’t looking at any of it. Whatever the rules are is what the rules are. You can’t change the rules, all you can do is eat what’s on your plate and where things fall, they fall, fair our not.

Just win and let the rest take care of itself.

Most of the rules are on divisions but past that it goes to head to head match ups, then common opponents I believe. Then CFP ranking.
So I think it is pretty straight forward. We win out we are in. Then it goes to just who we play.
I saw another tweet that said we are still.in play for a NY6 bowl and this was before the win last night. I don't believe that will be the case. Unless some of these other schools starts losing. Having 2 loses nearly disqualifies us

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Hmm. So now I'm not sure.
A three way tie rules are a little convoluted. We may have to surpass air force in the rankings to qualify. Which seems very possible but not guaranteed

That would make the most sense but that’s not how the MWC is doing it. With a 3-way tie where there isn’t a true round robin it seems like they’d go to the computer rankings. I think we’d be left out unless there’s a huge swing for us beating AFA.

That would make the most sense but that’s not how the MWC is doing it. With a 3-way tie where there isn’t a true round robin it seems like they’d go to the computer rankings. I think we’d be left out unless there’s a huge swing for us beating AFA.
Reading those rules again, I’m interpreting the 3-way tie break is used until one team gains an advantage. After that, it goes to the 2-way tie break rules for the remaining two teams.

So the 3-way tie would go to the computer rankings. Fresno would be the highest rated team (assuming) so they’re in.

After that, goes to the 2-way tiebreak between us and AFA. Tiebreak is head to head record. Since we would have to beat AFA to get into this scenario, we should be in.

Ok got it thanks!

I’m gonna be a big Spartan fan next week!

I’m sure UNLV isn’t looking at any of it. Whatever the rules are is what the rules are. You can’t change the rules, all you can do is eat what’s on your plate and where things fall, they fall, fair our not.

Just win and let the rest take care of itself.

Here's something kinda interesting.

4-5 San Jose State is a 1.5 point favorite over Fresno..

Spartans played tough schedule. Record is a little deceiving.

Air Force and San Jose will be really tough games.

If San Jose beats Fresno they are playing for bowl eligibility against the Rebs.

If San Jose beats Fresno they are playing for bowl eligibility against the Rebs.
I took FSU and the points when I saw that. Now I will want to root against my own bet.

Definitely will be tough, both games.

SJSU may end up being our toughest home game of the year. Especially worried about Cordeiro. He always seems to eat us up.

I know I’ll be rooting for SJSU tonight. That would make it all a little clearer. In fact if SJSU wins tonight we would even control our own destiny to host the MWC championship game at Allegiant.

Don't make me start believing this could happen.

If we win, there is a specific ballgame for the mountain west winter. I’m sure it’s against a PAC 12 opponent but I’m not sure what place that opponent is.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If we win, there is a specific ballgame for the mountain west winter. I’m sure it’s against a PAC 12 opponent but I’m not sure what place that opponent is.
Oh man, I hope UNLV get Colorado if they make it to bowl. That would make my day.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
LA bowl against the #6 PAC-12 team, whoever that may be. Most projections say UCLA

LA bowl against the #6 PAC-12 team, whoever that may be. Most projections say UCLA
That's would be pretty damn exciting. UNLV vs UCLA in FOOTBALL !

But for the love of God, we still have 2 more games to win before we go there.

Reactions: ckfitz
So, if FSU lose tonight and we beat AFA and SJSU, we will host AFA in Vegas? That would be something...
And then what New Year's Bowl game?
Championship game is December 2nd. Allegiant would be hosting back to back college games. Pac-12 Championship is the 1st night. What and incredible weekend that would be.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Championship game is December 2nd. Allegiant would be hosting back to back college games. Pac-12 Championship is the 1st night. What and incredible weekend that would be.
If that happened, my sorry ass will be there along with my flip flops and shorts.

And then what New Year's Bowl game?
Still possibly dependant on Tulane losing, James Madison not getting their waiver, and Liberty not moving up to get to anythung better than LA Bowl. But beating AFA twice in that span would sure help!

Still possibly dependant on Tulane losing, James Madison not getting their waiver, and Liberty not moving up to get to anythung better than LA Bowl. But beating AFA twice in that span would sure help!
Let's just assume that JMU will not get their waiver approve, UNLV will get Liberty in the LA Bowl? What happens if JMU get their waiver approved?

Why are these teams matters? They are smallish and play using their speed. UNLV size and speed would kill them.

Let's just assume that JMU will not get their waiver approve, UNLV will get Liberty in the LA Bowl? What happens if JMU get their waiver approved?
Liberty will not be in the LA Bowl. That is reserved for MWC vs PAC matchup

Why are these teams matters? They are smallish and play using their speed. UNLV size and speed would kill them.
Because Tulane is already ranked, they will likely stay ahead of UNLV in polls if both run thr table. They would get the at large bid to NY6.

I meant for MWC, the best tie in is LA bowl. Likely Tulane or liberty will have opportunity to earn NY6 ahead of any mwc school, so LA Bowl would be best available unless there's some conferences who don't fulfill their obligation of available teams. Also might be g5 at large for non-ny6 bowl games, not really sure.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT