ADVERTISEMENT

Here.We.Go..

I seriously doubt he'll leave Oregon without a substantial pay raise. I would almost venture to guess he'll be making north of 1.5 million.

I seriously doubt he'll leave Oregon without a substantial pay raise. I would almost venture to guess he'll be making north of 1.5 million.

We can only hope this is accurate, stay put Arroyo please!

Meh- What a let down. I hate already being disappointed on day 1 of the Coach Arroyo era but I'm not really excited about this hire.

Well Oregon fans say he's a hell of a recruiter at least. Also, he's worked a lot of places so maybe he has the connections to put together a nice staff. I'm searching for something positive.

Meh- What a let down. I hate already being disappointed on day 1 of the Coach Arroyo era but I'm not really excited about this hire.

Well Oregon fans say he's a hell of a recruiter at least. Also, he's worked a lot of places so maybe he has the connections to put together a nice staff. I'm searching for something positive.

I don't hate it. Not my favorite.

But not awful if we are realistic about what UNLV can afford and who would actually want the job.

Reactions: 9th_Islander
It appears 5280 hates him? I have no reason to feel either good or bad until I see what staff he puts together as a staff, and what he does for UNLV. He is a good enough OC to be at a top 10 program, and does appear to have some good connections that should help upgrade our program in regards to coaching staff and recruits, but time will tell! If we suddenly see a couple of 4* recruits, that would be a good sign to start!

I don't know much about him the only gave I saw Oregon play was when they played Utah in the pac-12 championship this year and Oregon's offense handled Utah defense pretty easily. That doesn't mean he'll be a good coach nor does it mean to be a bad. I'll be very interest and seeing who he brings in on his staff. Then if he can retain the recruits and maybe even improve on them. Should be an interesting month.

I do like that he has been at a couple of Mountain West schools (SJSU late in the WAC era... which is basically MWC, and wyoming in 2011ish, I forget exact years). Something of a familiarity with the conference and the types of weird games you only see in this conference.

Also helpful that it is SJSU and Wyoming in that era, two schools who we now have much better facilities than and are probably about as stable as (that's to say not very).

Interim gig with Tampa Bay is a helpful bit because at least it is SOMETHING of head man experience. Seems to be a hopper, but that's okay. If he is half the recruiter people make him out to be and is given a decent budget for support, I think this could work out well.

It appears 5280 hates him? I have no reason to feel either good or bad until I see what staff he puts together as a staff, and what he does for UNLV. He is a good enough OC to be at a top 10 program, and does appear to have some good connections that should help upgrade our program in regards to coaching staff and recruits, but time will tell! If we suddenly see a couple of 4* recruits, that would be a good sign to start!

I said he is an easy safe choice a "no risk more than likely no reward" type of hire.

I have not hid the fact that UNLV should take a HC not an assistant, where is the hate in giving an opinion like anyone else on this board?

I know you admire them as much as I do but we need to be a program like Boise St, you know that successful program in the MWC!

And fans of Oregon wanted him out!
I see a lot of UNLV fans who are down on DRF saying this...

Looked on a couple Oregon boards and Oregon's subreddit specifically for Arroyo and UNLV speculation. Lot of folks seem to be of the "Well, I didn't like him in 2018 because he mishandled QBs... but now I'm not sure if I want him to go" ilk. Most also seem to think (probably rightly so) that Cristobol will find a more than adequate replacement, so you are unlikely to see people upset, but equally unlikely to see people who actively disliked him. At least in the sample that I saw.

@rebel5820: I'm wondering who you most likely would have wanted that was reasonable. I can see this not being a home run, but I do think it's a good hire. Only guys I can see that have head coaching experience and may have been reasonable are Jim Mora, Jay Hill, and Matt Entz.

I don't know the Big Sky or Summit or Horizon well enough to know most of the other squads that have a coach worth poaching. Of the three, Jim Mora is the one I see a handful UNLV fans clamoring for... he's my least desirable of that trio, to be honest. I think Arroyo would be a better hire than Mora.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Looked on a couple Oregon boards and Oregon's subreddit specifically for Arroyo and UNLV speculation. Lot of folks seem to be of the "Well, I didn't like him in 2018 because he mishandled QBs... but now I'm not sure if I want him to go" ilk. Most also seem to think (probably rightly so) that Cristobol will find a more than adequate replacement, so you are unlikely to see people upset, but equally unlikely to see people who actively disliked him. At least in the sample that I saw.

@rebel5820: I'm wondering who you most likely would have wanted that was reasonable. I can see this not being a home run, but I do think it's a good hire. Only guys I can see that have head coaching experience and may have been reasonable are Jim Mora, Jay Hill, and Matt Entz.

I don't know the Big Sky or Summit or Horizon well enough to know most of the other squads that have a coach worth poaching. Of the three, Jim Mora is the one I see a handful UNLV fans clamoring for... he's my least desirable of that trio, to be honest. I think Arroyo would be a better hire than Mora.

If you asked me last year Sanchez or Mora. I'll take Mora.

But I'm not sure he would do well here. I'm always leery of guys who have immediate success with previous coaches players and fall off when the roster flips. Year 4 things started to tail off. Year 5 and 6 it went way south.

Butch Jones? Does anybody know if it was anything other than feelers put out by an agent? If he takes CSU job, I'll be interested at the $ total.

Jay Hill? Sure I could get behind that, but you might have to wait for his team to finish the FCS playoffs.

Not sure what people think UNLV can afford and how much interest was actually expressed.

You know the names I mentioned here over and over.. no need to re visit that.
Of teh HC's I mentioned Mora was hardly ever mentioned except to say, I would take him over Arroyo or any of the OC/DC guys.

Some.

Others no.

They were 15th in scoring and 27th in total offense.

I'd like to be a program good enough to complain about that.

This more than likely will not translate to UNLV, we are a completely different animal than Oregon.

I remember hearing the same thing when Mike Sanford was hired and we all know how that turned out.

Just can't get up for this hire at all, not even a little.

The obstacles in place that he will have to overcome just because it's UNLV.. administration, flimsy AD, no fan/booster support and no tradition and on top of all that he will need to do the following for the first time.. Hire a staff, maintain recruits, add recruits, make player development a priority and come up with the scheme X's and O's wise, I'd say this will be a monumental task for an OC turned HC for the first time.

Leaning towards the "not going to happen" side of things until further notice!

This more than likely will not translate to UNLV, we are a completely different animal than Oregon.

I remember hearing the same thing when Mike Sanford was hired and we all know how that turned out.

Just can't get up for this hire at all, not even a little.

The obstacles in place that he will have to overcome just because it's UNLV.. administration, flimsy AD, no fan/booster support and no tradition and on top of all that he will need to do the following for the first time.. Hire a staff, maintain recruits, add recruits, make player development a priority and come up with the scheme X's and O's wise, I'd say this will be a monumental task for an OC turned HC for the first time.

Leaning towards the "not going to happen" side of things until further notice!

This job is a monumental task for anybody.

Less so for a former HC.

Is it?

Based on what?

Sure experience is important. Nobody argues that.

Give me a coach that rebuilt a similiar program to UNLV and I'm on board.

Jay Hill? I'm down. But if Weber State beats Montana this weekend that's another week gone bye-bye with early signing period looming.

Todd Graham. Hell yes, if you can win at Rice you can win anywhere. Did he want the job though?

You're acting like people are knocking down the door to come here.

As big of a deal as the facility is to the program all it did was elevate us to an equal playing field with schools like Boise, Wyoming and CSU that already had great facilities.

I'm interested in seeing the list of guys with a track record of rebuilding programs currently available or that UNLV can afford or that would be interested.

If we can get him, I would be for him. He beat UW, Utah with a future pro quarterback. I watched those games and if plays misfired, it was the execution for the most part by that future qb or his receivers. Oregon will destroy the Badgers.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Mick Cronin called and is suing Arroyo for infringing on his patent for agreeing to terms without signing the contract just so that he can use those numbers in other contract negotiations.

Reactions: rebel5280
What I don’t like is it’s a formula we’ve used before and it hasn’t worked. Didn’t Sanford help lead the Utes to a couple terrific, national seasons?

Not saying the guy can’t work out. Just saying the formula hasn’t worked here yet. In fact, the formula has been disastrous.

What I don’t like is it’s a formula we’ve used before and it hasn’t worked. Didn’t Sanford help lead the Utes to a couple terrific, national seasons?

Not saying the guy can’t work out. Just saying the formula hasn’t worked here yet. In fact, the formula has been disastrous.

Nothing has worked Joe.

Either the facility matters or it doesn't.

If Sanford had equal facilities to the rest of the conference when he was here, do you think his tenure would have been different?

I do..

Now we have those facilities.

So either they are a program changer and will help or somebody just flushed 30 million down a toilet.

Nothing has worked Joe.

Either the facility matters or it doesn't.

If Sanford had equal facilities to the rest of the conference when he was here, do you think his tenure would have been different?

I do..

Now we have those facilities.

So either they are a program changer and will help or somebody just flushed 30 million down a toilet.
Some would argue that Robinson worked, at least to a degree, and moreso than anybody at UNLV. Seasoned vet, he only went half speed. Some say experience doesn’t matter. I think it does, especially with football. It’s a huge department and it’s contaminated. Rookies dodging landmines? Very tough. A veteran? Much better chance. Just because of experience, know how....

Would Robinson have been much better with the facilities? I think so... he attracted talent and lineman size on name/reputation alone, imagine being able to get some extra depth in here.

The guy may fail, he may succeed. Let’s call a .500 career the make or break line. I’d say that for anybody without HC experience, odds are heavily in favor of failure.

Remember, we still have extreme weakness at the top. She will try and bedazzle people with this one and sell it, but she missed out on her targets, again. At least she didn’t offer Poser Morton this job - or maybe she did?

I firmly believe that we need some strength up top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT