ADVERTISEMENT

Here.We.Go..

Is this for sure?

No announcement is sounding to me like Cronin again.
No announcement sounds like negotiation to me. Not that I expected to, but I haven't heard a peep from anyone beyond those piggybacking off Mark Anderson's reporting yesterday.

Personally. I hope we land this guy and there are things in the contract like what Greg Schiano got at Rutgers. Things that require x amount of dollars for continued facilities upgrades, consistent staff raises and bonuses.

Things that will entice good coaches to want to stay here.

Some of the bonuses Sanchez got that I would lik to see dramatically increased:

- $25,000 for winning the Mountain West championship, $10,000 for being ranked in the final coaches' poll and $10,000 for being named conference Coach of the Year.
This should be more like $250k and $50k than 25 and 10. This is well over what these numbers usually are, but anybody capable of doing that at UNLV will have earned it.

- $25,000 for appearing in a Saturday game on ESPN or ESPN2 and $15,000 for playing on a weekday game on one of those networks.
Probably reasonable, maybe double it. As I'm typing this, I just realized UNLV will no longer after to play all home games until November at 8pm!!!

- $25,000 for achieving a one-year Academic Progress Rate of 960, $15,000 for a 955 multiyear APR and $5,000 for each academic All-American. (A team must achieve a minimum four-year APR average of 930 to be eligible for the postseason, which was UNLV's score before last season.)
This should be doubled, too. We don't want ANY consideration that it is OKAY to post low grades or not be on pace to and eventually graduate

From Schiano's Rutger's contract:

Schiano’s Year 1 assistant and support staff salary pool is $7.7 million - unchanged from before. That total will increase by no less than 3% each year. Schiano has the ability to designate, hire and fire members of his staff with the consent of athletics director Pat Hobbs - that consent “shall not be withheld without reason.”
Guaranteed no less than 3% raises for support staff and assistant staff, gimme that.

Sorta got off on an unrelated tangent that I didn't finish. Anyway, I would hope that this is the sides going back and forth and wanted to get these details right. High buyout, guarantee high staff pool, etc., etc.

Or we could end up with Jay Hill in 2 weeks! (For the record, I like Jay Hill, just not in 2 weeks, would need to be by Monday since ESP opens the 18th.) Personally, I hope it's Arroyo.

No announcement sounds like negotiation to me. Not that I expected to, but I haven't heard a peep from anyone beyond those piggybacking off Mark Anderson's reporting yesterday.

Personally. I hope we land this guy and there are things in the contract like what Greg Schiano got at Rutgers. Things that require x amount of dollars for continued facilities upgrades, consistent staff raises and bonuses.

Things that will entice good coaches to want to stay here.

Some of the bonuses Sanchez got that I would lik to see dramatically increased:

This should be more like $250k and $50k than 25 and 10. This is well over what these numbers usually are, but anybody capable of doing that at UNLV will have earned it.

Probably reasonable, maybe double it. As I'm typing this, I just realized UNLV will no longer after to play all home games until November at 8pm!!!

This should be doubled, too. We don't want ANY consideration that it is OKAY to post low grades or not be on pace to and eventually graduate

From Schiano's Rutger's contract:

Guaranteed no less than 3% raises for support staff and assistant staff, gimme that.

Sorta got off on an unrelated tangent that I didn't finish. Anyway, I would hope that this is the sides going back and forth and wanted to get these details right. High buyout, guarantee high staff pool, etc., etc.

Or we could end up with Jay Hill in 2 weeks! (For the record, I like Jay Hill, just not in 2 weeks, would need to be by Monday since ESP opens the 18th.) Personally, I hope it's Arroyo.
Hmmmmm ... if this falls apart it’s so UNLV. If it’s negotiating, I really think UNLV can afford what he wants. It’s not like he’s asking for 1.5M ..... I think UNLV would have a little wiggle room with the bottom line.

Now, I can see the money for assistants being a roadblock that UNLV can’t cross. But if that’s the case across the board, you need a cheaper HC to start, no?

Or he and someone else are eyeballing each other across the room. My guess is it’s that. UNLV isn’t acceptable until 4 am after a few dozen shots. The one across the room may be a plain Jane, but she ain’t a haggard hoe.

Hmmmmm ... if this falls apart it’s so UNLV. If it’s negotiating, I really think UNLV can afford what he wants. It’s not like he’s asking for 1.5M ..... I think UNLV would have a little wiggle room with the bottom line.

Now, I can see the money for assistants being a roadblock that UNLV can’t cross. But if that’s the case across the board, you need a cheaper HC to start, no?

Or he and someone else are eyeballing each other across the room. My guess is it’s that. UNLV isn’t acceptable until 4 am after a few dozen shots. The one across the room may be a plain Jane, but she ain’t a haggard hoe.
I was wondering if someone else stepped in and said "we'll give you the same amount with less challenge and you're less likely to be embarrassed" ... entirely possible.

Definitely think, depending on the staff $$ pool as it stands, that had to have been considered. I'd rather have a $1m head coach and $1m staff budget than a $1.4m coach and a $600k staff. The position coaches in breakout rooms with one coach to 5-6 or 12-13 players are, in my opinion, more important than a good guy at the front. Need both to be great, but it's easier to be good with good position coaches than bad ones, eh?

I was wondering if someone else stepped in and said "we'll give you the same amount with less challenge and you're less likely to be embarrassed" ... entirely possible.

Definitely think, depending on the staff $$ pool as it stands, that had to have been considered. I'd rather have a $1m head coach and $1m staff budget than a $1.4m coach and a $600k staff. The position coaches in breakout rooms with one coach to 5-6 or 12-13 players are, in my opinion, more important than a good guy at the front. Need both to be great, but it's easier to be good with good position coaches than bad ones, eh?
No question about it.

I wonder who’s plan B lol
MV5BMjMwNDA0MjU1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE4OTIwMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,682,1000_AL_.jpg

UNLV: LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda is “in the mix” for the UNLV job, tweets SI’s Ross Dellenger.
Go from the highest paid assistant in NCAA football to UNLV HC? Huge step down in pay. If we can get it, I'll take it. Better option than Arroyo, but I'm skeptical this ins't a move to get a larger raise.

Definitely think, depending on the staff $$ pool as it stands, that had to have been considered. I'd rather have a $1m head coach and $1m staff budget than a $1.4m coach and a $600k staff. The position coaches in breakout rooms with one coach to 5-6 or 12-13 players are, in my opinion, more important than a good guy at the front. Need both to be great, but it's easier to be good with good position coaches than bad ones, eh?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more -
If they are seriously thinking the Aranda path... my fear is that leaves nothing for a quality staff. Who knows, maybe we have some big money boosters stepping up to take this to the next level... not holding my breath.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Cant link properly from phone, but Joe Arrigo says UNLV offered Arands the job at 6:50pm.

He also said in a reply to someone that Arroyo was never offered the job.

Well it ends up being Marcus Arroyo. I'm a little disappointed after all the Aranda talk yesterday but welcome to UNLV Coach Arroyo.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That's what sucks when names leak like that. It poisons the waters a bit for the next guy...

It definitely steals his thunder a little bit. Let's hope he announces a solid DC or has some good recruiting news to quickly get some excitement back.

That's what sucks when names leak like that. It poisons the waters a bit for the next guy...
Yeah, but that was something that was PROBABLY out of UNLV’s control to be honest. Yeah, UNLV is loaded with people that can’t get things done, but his agent could have just used current openings for leverage without UNLV’s knowledge or consent. And if so, not much you can do about it.

If he was a true potential hire, yeah, I’d consider it thunder stolen. But the money aspect was completely illogical so it was hard to fathom it as a possibility.

Yeah, but that was something that was PROBABLY out of UNLV’s control to be honest. Yeah, UNLV is loaded with people that can’t get things done, but his agent could have just used current openings for leverage without UNLV’s knowledge or consent. And if so, not much you can do about it.

If he was a true potential hire, yeah, I’d consider it thunder stolen. But the money aspect was completely illogical so it was hard to fathom it as a possibility.

Agree.

I would have been happier with a DC as the new coach. UNLV's defenses have been atrocious as far back as I can remember. That has always been our downfall. We've always had an offense and can score, we could never stop anyone...

Interesting thinking back. I don't know if you would call J Rob a defensive or offensive minded guy. Our defense was pretty solid with him. Offense very basic and "old school".

Sanford- offensive

Hauck- special teams:flushed:

Sanchez- ???

Arroyo- offensive

I'm surprised that we haven't tried a defensive guy in the past 20 years. Especially considering how bad we have been.

Interesting thinking back. I don't know if you would call J Rob a defensive or offensive minded guy. Our defense was pretty solid with him. Offense very basic and "old school".

Sanford- offensive

Hauck- special teams:flushed:

Sanchez- ???

Arroyo- offensive

I'm surprised that we haven't tried a defensive guy in the past 20 years. Especially considering how bad we have been.
JRob was pretty balanced. Big lines. Vanilla, but he made a career of it. I didn’t mind it.

Like basketball, I prefer strong offense and moderate defense (of course I’d like both strong) … I prefer that in football too. I prefer it more in basketball though.

JRob was pretty balanced. Big lines. Vanilla, but he made a career of it. I didn’t mind it.

Like basketball, I prefer strong offense and moderate defense (of course I’d like both strong) … I prefer that in football too. I prefer it more in basketball though.
I take that back.

Looking back at teams I liked, pro or college, they were top notch on one side. I liked the 85 Bears, that was super strong D, ok offense, I liked the Fouts Chargers - great O, no D. Be pretty dominant on one side or the other.

UNLV has had good offenses being able to put up points but horrendously bad defenses. If the teams over the last 20 years could have had moderate defenses, this school would have gone bowling the vast majority of those years

UNLV has had good offenses being able to put up points but horrendously bad defenses. If the teams over the last 20 years could have had moderate defenses, this school would have gone bowling the vast majority of those years
I wouldn’t call our offenses “good”. Maybe at times good, even really good. But they were awful at times too. Very inconsistent. I’m not about to call the UNLV defense strong because of the Vandy game.

I wouldn’t call our offenses “good”. Maybe at times good, even really good. But they were awful at times too. Very inconsistent. I’m not about to call the UNLV defense strong because of the Vandy game.

I'm just saying if we could have had even an average defense that our offenses were good enough to have some winning seasons in there

I'm just saying if we could have had even an average defense that our offenses were good enough to have some winning seasons in there
Perhaps. There would have been several games where if the offense performed at just a decent level, they’d have won more also. Hell, this season “could have” been two more wins if the offense showed up in those games, games in which the D player well enough to win.

But I’d agree. Going back several year, if the defense was even mediocre every game, we’d have more wins than if the offense was mediocre. We have had more “the offense played well enough to win” losses than “the defense played well enough to win” losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT