ADVERTISEMENT

Hauck

Low blow moderator! You can't have your cake and eat it too. Decker was one of hauk's recruits and most would agree if the kid stays healthy we could very well be 6-6 or 7/5 and heading to a bowl.
I am totally sold on Sanchez and the new era but Hauck did get us to a bowl game and you can't say he didn't work at it. You might of not liked his style or technique but he was a class individual.

I didn't comment on him as an individual or whether or not he got us to a bowl game. I simply pointed out that he didn't bring a lot of depth to the team, poster.
Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I'll try to be more clear next time I state that he didn't recruit well.

Low blow moderator! You can't have your cake and eat it too. Decker was one of hauk's recruits and most would agree if the kid stays healthy we could very well be 6-6 or 7/5 and heading to a bowl.
I am totally sold on Sanchez and the new era but Hauck did get us to a bowl game and you can't say he didn't work at it. You might of not liked his style or technique but he was a class individual.
Agree until the whole UNLV owes me money thing.

Hauck had no class at all. He sued for money he wasnt owed and I will tell him in his face to go F himself!

I didn't comment on him as an individual or whether or not he got us to a bowl game. I simply pointed out that he didn't bring a lot of depth to the team, poster.
Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I'll try to be more clear next time I state that he didn't recruit well.
His best team was senior laden. They were either 5th year guys left over from Sanford or 'his' seniors.

His last class was not one of his better classes in recruiting.

I don't think Hauck or Sanford were bad guys at all. Sanford's blow up when he was fired while handled poorly had a lot of truth in it. Hauck got us to a bowl. I am sure he asked for some improvements to facilities or some budget money to help with recruiting and was denied. I am sure both are still bitter to some degree.

That said neither Hauck or Sanford hustled or worked the town like Sanchez does for boosters. So in that sense some blame falls on them as well.

His best team was senior laden. They were either 5th year guys left over from Sanford or 'his' seniors.

His last class was not one of his better classes in recruiting.

I don't think Hauck or Sanford were bad guys at all. Sanford's blow up when he was fired while handled poorly had a lot of truth in it. Hauck got us to a bowl. I am sure he asked for some improvements to facilities or some budget money to help with recruiting and was denied. I am sure both are still bitter to some degree.

That said neither Hauck or Sanford hustled or worked the town like Sanchez does for boosters. So in that sense some blame falls on them as well.
You're spot on looking back Sanford wasn't nearly as bad had way more talent on teams Bobby thought he could just roll out the same play book from Montana but nobody works the room like Coach Sanchez!

You're spot on looking back Sanford wasn't nearly as bad had way more talent on teams Bobby thought he could just roll out the same play book from Montana but nobody works the room like Coach Sanchez!

Bobby's biggest problem was his loyalty to his Montana guys on the staff. He just could not and would not let any of them go. He would demote them but not get rid of them. Phenicie (spelling) being the worst according to a couple people/parents/players I knew that were close to the program back then. One went so far as to say they blamed him for Sherry's demise. Said he really beat that kid down in practices. I don't know how true this is, but did hear it from a player and a parent of another player so take it for what it's worth.

As for Sanford he had two big issues and oddly enough both had the name Rocky. The first being Rocky Hines. He put all his eggs in that basket and thought we had landed the QB that could get us over the hump. Unfortunately I don't think Rocky was every 100 percent healthy with the knee injury he had suffered. Sanford got about 80% of the player he thought he was getting and only got that on the field about 50% of the time.The other Rocky that hurt Sanford was Rocky Long. Not so much on the field (which he did) but buy not hiring him. When Rocky Long got fired/quit New Mexico he had stated he still wanted to coach and was willing to be a defensive coordinator. Sanford should have grabbed that guy immediately considering our defensive struggles even back then. Rocky Long is a really innovative defensive mind. I honestly think if Sanford had brought Long in back then, the state of UNLV football would be much different now. I think both 5-7 years probably are flipped to 7-5. Even if we lost Long after two years to another school a much better foundation would have been in place for Sanford. Recruiting would also probably have been better as well.

Last edited:
Most of the 2015 recruits didn't unseat the returning player that had been recruited prior to the coaching change.
Hauck also recruited guys that have been loyal to the UNLV program and have rarely had guys that didn't stick around to develop with the program through a career. With Decker, this is a very competitive football team.
I like what Sanchez has been able to produce on the field early with the guys buying in and competing early under the New Era slogan. The biggest thing moving into the off-season will be player retention, academic development, youth physical development and to see if the returning guys can replicate the effort shown on the field this season without the freshness of working under a new staff.
I like the promise but I still feel Hauck built a competitive roster during his stay that was much more physically capable than previous staffs.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Most of the 2015 recruits didn't unseat the returning player that had been recruited prior to the coaching change.
Hauck also recruited guys that have been loyal to the UNLV program and have rarely had guys that didn't stick around to develop with the program through a career. With Decker, this is a very competitive football team.
I like what Sanchez has been able to produce on the field early with the guys buying in and competing early under the New Era slogan. The biggest thing moving into the off-season will be player retention, academic development, youth physical development and to see if the returning guys can replicate the effort shown on the field this season without the freshness of working under a new staff.
I like the promise but I still feel Hauck built a competitive roster during his stay that was much more physically capable than previous staffs.
Will-

I think the academics aspect has already been addressed, and is being monitored continually.

I agree, Hauck wasn't a horrible recruiter by any means. He brought in some talented guys and developed some others along the way. The problem is there weren't/aren't enough of them just yet. Our starting 11's were relatively competitive then and now. The issue is the drop from our 1s and 2's.

That said though these are predominantly Hauck's guys. At least for the next two years any questions surrounding the talent or lack of it fall mostly on Hauck.

If we really look back at both Sanford and Hauck, what were their selling points in recruiting? I think they both did as well as expected with what they had.

They couldn't pitch tradition.
They couldn't pitch campus lifestyle.
They couldn't pitch great facilities.
They couldn't pitch amazing game day atmosphere
They couldn't pitch great fan/student support.

Neither Hauck or Sanford ever received enough finacial support to really make a difference.

That said neither of them went out and shook hands and kissed babies like Sanchez has. What funding the university won't give him, he is going out and securing himself.

It sounds like the football facility will happen, the question is when. When it is announced it will be a huge boost to recruiting.

I don't think there will be any issue with retention beyond what teams normally deal with. Just like anywhere else there are going to be guys unhappy with a new situation, playing time etc....

Ultimately that and a stronger staff and infrastructure will be why he succeeds where those two failed.

College football is more than just Xs and Os these days especially when you are at a 'smaller' university that doesn't have the booster or alumni money pouring in.

Art Briles is a really good football coach but people would be kidding themselves if they didn't think the huge amount of booster money that poured into Baylor the last 5 years hasn't helped.

Same with Oklahoma State. Nick Saban is a great football coach, no denying it. It also helps he recruits in a talent rich area, and has unlimited funds.

Texas is the odd exception to this. Hard to figure out exactly what is going on wrong there.

This program showed well with the new staff in place with hope that things can get better in the future. Good or bad, these guys are one team, one program no matter the outcome. Every player on this team will be needed to get the team over the hump to become annual contenders no matter who brought them in.

I agree, Hauck wasn't a horrible recruiter by any means. He brought in some talented guys and developed some others along the way. The problem is there weren't/aren't enough of them just yet. Our starting 11's were relatively competitive then and now. The issue is the drop from our 1s and 2's.

This is spot on in my opinion. Hauck brought in good players. He did recruit the schools all time leading rusher, one of its best ever receivers, leading scorer, and a QB who had one of the best freshman seasons in the MWC. The down side to his recruiting was his wait and see approach. I believe that was why we never had the depth needed to get over the 2 win hump in consecutive seasons(and not having a QB developed in the program by year 5). At Montana that approach worked and it had to because he probably didn't have the budget to do a lot of running around evaluating and visiting players in person. Also, at Montana they were at the top of FCS and they were able to get the players that weren't recruited by FBS schools but had the talent to play there so the wait and see approach was ok there. Although he only won more than 2 games once the season before and after the bowl season I believe they had the talent to win 2-6 games through injuries and lack of depth they weren't able to get over the hump. f UNLV is going to be a bowl team year after year they have to go get players and not just see how is available after the season is over.

Reactions: willlevi
Listen Hauck developed some decent talent however a few diamonds in the rough don't make a good recruiter nor get the job done.

Hauck relied on picking up last minute commitments from borderline academic qualifiers and leftovers of from other programs. He would wait to last minute, swipe in and make an offer and at times it worked. But it's not a long term recruiting strategy that's going to move UNLV to the next level.

I'm thankful from the gems that Hauck recruited but the team struggled mightily in recruiting. Furthermore, Hauck created a part of the APR fiasco which may be indicative of his recruiting strategy.

Hauck always running a trick play, if it's not on the field it's in recruiting. Neither worked for him.

If we were healthy, we are only a stub qb, right tackel, and a couple of pass rushers short of a bowl winning team.

For me, Hauck's recruiting wasn't a problem. His last season saw the New Mexico and Hawaii games slip away in the final minute that prevented a 4 win season.
The NIU game and Utah State losses were very competitive before they pulled away. Even his last game versus Nevada the team held a 17-14 advantage at the half.
He rolled the dice on youth at linebacker along with a productive junior college quarterback and got burned but every other unit on that team played solid.
Minus Decker turnover issues, Hauck would have had back-to-back bowl games.
A year into a new coaching staff, Hauck is now in the past but he built a good team during his stay.
Sanchez brings a different energy but year two is the biggest test for his tenure.
The biggest question heading into the off-season is will there be a new football facility and when?
This Wyoming contest is a must win to have a positive kick heading into the winter.

My biggest question is player retention and this quote from the RJ caught my attention:
“This is one of those nights where people have got to make decisions,” Sanchez said. “We know where we’re going and we have a plan, and we have a lot of guys on board with it, and the ones that aren’t, we’ve got to push out of the way and keep moving on."

Hopefully a promising season doesn't turn into an attempt to completely overhaul a very good base of talent.

I dont think it will be an "overhaul" but its common in year 2 of a new coach to see some guys transfer or leave the program for different reasons, whether it be playing time or just not the right fit anymore.

There are a few position groups I can see losing some "back-ups" (more toward the guys buried down #3 or 4 at a spot) or guys who are falling behind Redshirts and true freshman but I feel like all of this seasons key contributors that are not seniors will be back.

For me, Hauck's recruiting wasn't a problem. His last season saw the New Mexico and Hawaii games slip away in the final minute that prevented a 4 win season.
The NIU game and Utah State losses were very competitive before they pulled away. Even his last game versus Nevada the team held a 17-14 advantage at the half.
He rolled the dice on youth at linebacker along with a productive junior college quarterback and got burned but every other unit on that team played solid.
Minus Decker turnover issues, Hauck would have had back-to-back bowl games.
A year into a new coaching staff, Hauck is now in the past but he built a good team during his stay.
Sanchez brings a different energy but year two is the biggest test for his tenure.
The biggest question heading into the off-season is will there be a new football facility and when?
This Wyoming contest is a must win to have a positive kick heading into the winter.

My biggest question is player retention and this quote from the RJ caught my attention:
“This is one of those nights where people have got to make decisions,” Sanchez said. “We know where we’re going and we have a plan, and we have a lot of guys on board with it, and the ones that aren’t, we’ve got to push out of the way and keep moving on."

Hopefully a promising season doesn't turn into an attempt to completely overhaul a very good base of talent.
You can read this quote some many different ways. Out of context I cannot tell who he is specifically addressing.

I dont think it will be an "overhaul" but its common in year 2 of a new coach to see some guys transfer or leave the program for different reasons, whether it be playing time or just not the right fit anymore.

There are a few position groups I can see losing some "back-ups" (more toward the guys buried down #3 or 4 at a spot) or guys who are falling behind Redshirts and true freshman but I feel like all of this seasons key contributors that are not seniors will be back.

Probably not a bad thing to be honest the expectations and direction are clear you fit or you don't fit it's not necessarily a bad thing in fact it may be quite the opposite.

Listen Hauck developed some decent talent however a few diamonds in the rough don't make a good recruiter nor get the job done.

Hauck relied on picking up last minute commitments from borderline academic qualifiers and leftovers of from other programs. He would wait to last minute, swipe in and make an offer and at times it worked. But it's not a long term recruiting strategy that's going to move UNLV to the next level.

I'm thankful from the gems that Hauck recruited but the team struggled mightily in recruiting. Furthermore, Hauck created a part of the APR fiasco which may be indicative of his recruiting strategy.

Hauck always running a trick play, if it's not on the field it's in recruiting. Neither worked for him.
I wasn't a fan of Hauck's approach of recruiting but considering what he had available to pitch, I think he did a decent job. I prefer what Sanchez has done developing early relationships with players. I think that is why we are still in the mix for Lagow. Sanchez can also sell a future that includes the new football facility, and maybe a stadium down the road. Hauck never had that. That said though he did very little to get booster support or drum up money. That is in no way meant to belittle what Sanchez is doing or say he has it easier. The work he has put in off the field is why there is even a discussion of a football facility.

Where Hauck really failed was at the Xs and Os on game day. Like you said. Some really poor game day decisions. He also made some questionable roster decisions. An example would be Fred Wilson who had two interceptions as a Freshmen and showed promise and then barely saw the field the next two seasons. Wilson has been one our better DB's this year. I mentioned it earlier but his loyalty to the Montana coaches he brought with him was ultimately his undoing.

The APR thing from what I now understand was actually as much a clerical issue as anything else.

The APR thing was a massive failure to keep these kids GPA where it needs to be. Defections and turnover had a lot to do with as well but that is still on the coach.

The APR thing was a massive failure to keep these kids GPA where it needs to be. Defections and turnover had a lot to do with as well but that is still on the coach.
You are right that falls on the coach. Which is why Sanchez has made a concerted effort in that area. I do have little faith in how the NCAA monitors it, and the way the APR is calculated borders on the ridiculous.

My thing with apr is how are any of the top basketball programs in compliance when 4 starters are leaving for the nba early every year with most being freshmen

APR is tricky. If a player leaves early whether through transfer or going pro, as long as they are "on track" to graduate then points are not taken away .

My thing with apr is how are any of the top basketball programs in compliance when 4 starters are leaving for the nba early every year with most being freshmen
One thing I remember about how the apr is calculated is if a player leaves early but has a guaranteed contract he doesn't count against the school because it is looked at like they left school for there profession. First round NBA picks and I think 1-4 round NFL picks fall into this category.

Same way with football. LSU kicked the 'honey badger' off the team for conduct, that same year they had I believe 9-10 guys go to the NFL and some of them were underclassman. I am supposed to believe that the Honey Badger was doing things that git him kicked off the football team, but he was keeping up with his studies?

It is pick and chose by the NCAA. SMU gets
One thing I remember about how the apr is calculated is if a player leaves early but has a guaranteed contract he doesn't count against the school because it is looked at like they left school for there profession. First round NBA picks and I think 1-4 round NFL picks fall into this category.
Very convenient for the Alabama/LSU/FSU's of the world. Or in basketball UNC/UK's of the world.

During my first day of theoretical equations back in college, my professor went in front of the rooms and issued a phrase that I will never forget. "Math isn't real. you can't prove math." I'll apply that logic to the apr calculations.

Reactions: wattjose
Sanchez could have really used a couple more wins this year. Every year he isn't bowl eligible makes it harder for him to get better recruits. The same happened to Hauck. His best recruiting was in his first two years. I believe Sanford, too. A coach can sell a dream only so long. But when the dream doesn't come true, and your team has three or less wins year after year, it's hard to sell that anymore. Plus, a UNLV coach can't sell anything else. Not facilities, not tradition, not fan base etc. etc. Weaker schedules are coming. Better facilities are coming. Let's hope that's enough, fast enough.

Sanchez could have really used a couple more wins this year. Every year he isn't bowl eligible makes it harder for him to get better recruits. The same happened to Hauck. His best recruiting was in his first two years. I believe Sanford, too. A coach can sell a dream only so long. But when the dream doesn't come true, and your team has three or less wins year after year, it's hard to sell that anymore. Plus, a UNLV coach can't sell anything else. Not facilities, not tradition, not fan base etc. etc. Weaker schedules are coming. Better facilities are coming. Let's hope that's enough, fast enough.
Wait a minute! IIRC, at the beginning of the season, the hope was that Sanchez would win at least one more than last season. Some hoped for four. I did, too. My only fear is that Sanchez and staff are somewhat deflated with this season. I do hope his enthusiasm for the program is not diminished by the result of this season. Even one win over last season is a building block. Go Rebels!!

Something has to be done about the Rebel defense. Something serious. Seems some tacklers were trying to do it with their fingertips.

What hurts the most is that after the first couple of games, it really seemed like we had something there. I was also hoping for a four win season, but admitted that I would be happy with the cannon coming back home. The way we came out the first four games really game me hope that we might be able to at the very least go even.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT