ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates?

Or, the converse. Every signing is a stud who is going to lead us back to national prevalence, we will challenge for the top spot, our coach is an unpolished diamond … oh, and Menzies deserves more time because the crowds were tiny but cozy.

Meanwhile - the evidence clearly shows we’ve sucked the last 10 years. In part because the players have weaknesses, in part because coaching can’t figure things out… but go ahead, keep dismissing that most players vastly underachieve at UNLV and their weaknesses tend to overshadow any strengths they may have. If not, maybe we’d be a little better.
We all know that is not the majority thought on this site.

But there is some good reason to that.

Because we have recruited pretty well over the years. Near top of the conference rankings with Menzies, what would have been TJ's 3rd year, for sure under Rice obviously.

We are used to winning the offseason and underperforming during the actual season.

I get it doesn't mean it is fair or "right", it just is.

We all know that is not the majority thought on this site.

But there is some good reason to that.

Because we have recruited pretty well over the years. Near top of the conference rankings with Menzies, what would have been TJ's 3rd year, for sure under Rice obviously.

We are used to winning the offseason and underperforming during the actual season.

I get it doesn't mean it is fair or "right", it just is.
No, it’s a crazy, whacked out, excuse making, playing the victim mentality that the certifiable nut job loudmouth girl on twitter has and some people here. I don’t get it. It’s 2+2=4 and these people hold the belief that it’s 11. And they’ll argue it to the death, but when the death comes, they go into hiding or just shrug it off as “it’s over now, let’s move on”. Even a blind squirrel digs up an acorn now and again, but not these people.

Just get shit done. Enough with the freaking excuses. Other people better than us, equivalent to us and lower than us have found ways to get it done. We don’t get it done and it’s non-stop excuses. If they were any of our employees, they’d be shitcanned long ago for not even hitting the bare minimum. Enough talk, just freaking do it already.

And no, it’s not the fault of the fans, it’s an easy deflection that allows for no accountability to the actual problem. Negative fans here, on twitter, blaming them is so weak. In fact, if anything, given that we haven’t accomplished dick in so long, maybe they’re spot on and closer to being the realists than the kumbaya club of don’t worry, be happy.

Or maybe if school x offers $50K for a year and school Y offers $60K for two years. Just picking numbers. If you offer a little more money you will get some who want the higher $$ now. Not the 5* types but the ones who might blow up and leave. Or the ones who want the money now.
I don’t know the NIL rules but it seems that approach is workable. Yeah we don’t go after the 4&5 stars but get the 3s and sign them contractually to 2-3 years with a $$ bump for the extra year(s) and a buyout if another school comes calling. Seems like a more workable approach for a mid-major that provides for consistency and stability in roster construction.

I don’t know the NIL rules but it seems that approach is workable. Yeah we don’t go after the 4&5 stars but get the 3s and sign them contractually to 2-3 years with a $$ bump for the extra year(s) and a buyout if another school comes calling. Seems like a more workable approach for a mid-major that provides for consistency and stability in roster construction.
Again, why would any player sign a contract if they can just go a different school and still get money. Also what's the enforcement arm of the contract? Are you asking teenagers to negotiate terms or involving agents? How do you navigate if a school asks you to "move along" after a disappointing season, are you owed a payout? And who pays the buyout? What's a reasonable buyout for 50k or 60k contract? 10%? 20%? You're talking 5k or 10k if a kids going to go get a 100k bump? It's not like a coach where you're getting replacement $... you'd be collecting pennies on the dollars..
Maybe a new insurance type is born out of NIL, like you pay an insurance premium for player performance vs expected payouts through ticket sales, NCAA payouts etc... if kid leaves to another school you collect on that policy...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I'm rapidly losing interest in the entire recruiting process.
For me, that’s not KK’s fault at all. I guess if we were nailing top players but it’s not fair to expect that given what is transpiring in the landscape of the game.

It’s totally ruined recruiting from me. Even though the hat pick was way overplayed and became silly … there was still something to it. Hearing the press conference, the announcement. Yeah, pins and needles at times. It made it fun. It was fun tracking what was done on an official trip, who hosted, where they went, what they did. In part because you knew you had a player for four years, even though that dwindled over time.

It’s just not fun anymore. They really let things slip beyond the guardrails and constraints and it’s ruining the game; imo. But the rich will survive and thrive, that’s all they care about.

Remember the days when a kid said he was transferring and they took his student ID, packed his luggage, and told him goodbye...
Now coaches have to offer them raises and beg for them to come back after they've been shown a good time at other schools
Yeah, the power balance has shifted drastically. Kids can hold a coach/program hostage.

Before the coaches could hold the players hostage. You pissed me off, bench for the rest of the year, find a new school, sit out a year, you lost.

Neither situation is good. But the better situation is a decent adult in charge of things.

It could be he's happy with who he has and doesn't want to bring in players who will disrupt a rotation. Most likley not, but maybe.
Maybe that’s what he’s thinking. And maybe he’s right.

But he may have thought that last year, as well.

On the surface, It wasn’t an inspiring haul from the portal. Maybe it turns out to be ok. Right now, I think we will end up in familiar “not good enough” territory, unless nearly everything breaks our way (no significant injuries, players all improve over the course of the season, the chemistry clicks, we employ schemes that fit the players strengths, the schedule is appropriate, we develop a strong home court, incoming players start off better than we think they are, team is on the same page week to week, etc). If all that occurs, kinda like it did for UNLV football year one under Odom, then maybe.

These things are tough … yet many of us act as if those “ifs” are givens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT