ADVERTISEMENT

Guess either no one cares or done deal: AF vs UNLV

ltcpilot

National Player of the Year
Jan 9, 2006
From an AF fan...there is a game tonight and I hope we surprise ya a little after the 1st beatdown. (sorry, formatting didn't copy well on the stats).

Time for reflection and simple retaliation for Air Force's men vs UNLV plus the Lady Falcons travel to Vegas

(More at ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com )

In the first matchup between AF and UNLV the AF men's basketball team suffered it's worse loss in this decade, maybe in the last two decades as it lost to UNLV 100-64 and had 100 points scored against them for the first time in 15 years. It was a game they were outshot, out rebounded and even beat at the FT line in a game that left everyone in shock. The lopsided stats in that game:

AF FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS FG/3pt/FT
24-56 4-13 12-18 5 15 20 16 7 2 9 17 64 42.9% 30.8% 66.7%
UNLV FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
34-68 13-25 19-20 20 32 52 21 4 8 12 14 100 50.0% 52.0% 95.0%

The numbers that jumped out to me in that game were the rebounding disparity and UNLVs 50% FG and 3pt effort along with a staggering 95% FTs.

A new lineup will be featured off of both benches in this game as Trevor Lyons is out for AF with the status of Zachary Moer unknown. CJ Siples and Frank Toohey will get the start and the Falcons will play more Jacob Van either as a starter and more James and Broekhuis. UNLV will be without big man Steven Zimmerman and efficient forward Ben Carter. But their deep bench of 4 others scoring between 9-13ppg will be a tough matchup for the Falcons. On paper the Falcons can compete in this game if they play with the fire that was missing in game one and if they can shoot as they did vs SDSU. The matchup tonight:

AF 42%FG. 68%FT. 33% 3PT (5.8MADE/17.6APG) 35RPG. 13TPG
UNLV 44%FG. 67%FT. 34% 3PT (7.3MADE/21.8APG) 39RPG. 14TPG

For the Falcons to win this game, and they can, there are simple in this arm-chair-point guard's point of view:
- Play to win, play with fire, with desire, with the fierceness of the gladiators. They must want it from the opening buzzer and play like UNLV are uninvited guests in their home. In other words play with more energy and focus than they did in game one.
- Battle and not give away the ownership of the boards in Clune Arena. No more 50-22 out rebounding and 20-5 offensive rebounding differential like game one.
- Deny the lane and find the shooters. Simple right? But now we have to do it.
- Take care of the ball and make the flatlanders run and run some more at 7000'. Cut, cut hard and then cut again on offense making them work, make them breathe. Work inside-out driving to the lane and we will get them into foul trouble (unless we have the same refs from the San Diego game...only 2FTs in the whole game, really?).
-Lastly, we need a crowd in Clune Arena to motivate and encourage our Falcons. Big game and a much needed win as the Falcons, down three starters from the beginning of the year need to find consistency and a gritty edge in these final weeks of conference. The crowd can be an integral part in doing that.

In their first matchup our Lady Falcons played an excellent game finally succumbing to UNLV 56-60 in the last minute of the game. They continue to grow each week and a win on the road, tough as it might be, would be huge for these young players. The article below from the Gazette talk about the positives of a week where the Falcon won their first game and were close to getting two in a row.
GO FALCONS BEAT THE REBELS

Air Force men prep for UNLV a month after 36-point blowout
Air Force women's hoops enjoys a 'fun' week
Air Force still flies with faster version of Princeton offense
Air Force Falcons vs. UNLV Rebels - 2/16/16 College Basketball
UNLV's Stacey Augmon Wants Head Coaching Post Next
18_8_4[1][1].gif
GO FALCONS

With a depleted roster and altitude, the flyboys have to be taken seriously. This is an important game as we are playing for seeding for the MW tournament. Should be a close game.

Damn.....now you are making me blush. Did I mention Go Falcons?

Go my tickets for the MWC tourney, can't wait should be an interesting year.

Great game!, Lots of turnovers and missed free throws by the rebels. I love that Cornish is taking his game to another level. What can you say about IKE; he just brings it every game and I love his energy. At least this team has been consistent all year. Shhh don't wake PM.

No joke on this statement: Rick we desperately need you or we might just become the Dons part deux! Could you bring us a couple of players, sometimes our guys forget how to play. Thanks, Slow leak.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The next coach that comes in is going to have a tough job in front of them. This team has a lot of bad habits to break and it won't be easy.

I am about sick of Nwamu. His attitude and effort seem to be lacking to me.

This team seems to have a habit of relaxing after a made three or big play instead of using it to light a fire. We are not good enough to lose focus like that.

We have heard a lot about giving these guys credit for not losing focus with the mess this season has become. I am not seeing that at all. We just have such better players than most of the conference, talent alone keeps us in games.

When I watch us play vs any other top 50 team it is demoralizing that we not only haven't gotten better throughout the year, we actually keep getting worse.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Ike and Seagars are seniors so thats a plus.

Dave Halls circle must have AF +7.

These guys are tough to watch; turnover, foul, foul, foul, turnover, missed free throw, some unknown howdy deudy swishing 3s left et right. 5 years of this crap. Arghhh

Worst effort I have seen all year so far. Tired of seeing players walk up the floor and that includes PM.

Even Pat's head is not in the game anymore. I don't care what the announcers say, this team packed it in.

Bunch of Losers. If the game is close this team will lose. I hope it doesnt rub off on our next group of recruits.

This has been the worst the conference has ever been and man!!!!, we're towards the bottom of this stinky mess! Wow.

Please you big mouthed boosters with your old ass entourages put your money where your mouth is.

The way they get beat off the dribble is beyond pathetic. It's like they have cement shoes on. I've seen better defense at Rucker Park/Venice Beach. Maverick from Top Gun looked like Iverson in his prime.

Reactions: tarkaniancourt...nm
I am tired of people half walking, half jogging up the court after a made basket.

After Nmamu hit the three and got a and one with a couple minutes left the team picked it up and started playing hard for about 2 possessions. Imagine if they could play hard even most of the game?

There is a sort of arrogance to this team sometimes when obviously there shouldn't be. This is about as disappointed as I have ever been in a UNLV team.

The way they get beat off the dribble is beyond pathetic. It's like they have cement shoes on. I've seen better defense at Rucker Park/Venice Beach. Maverick from Top Gun looked like Iverson in his prime.

He`s back!!! Best insider of all time

Does anybody know if this game was rescheduled at some point? I bought tickets for my parents back in October and their tickets say Wednesday, Feb. 17th on them! I had to disappoint them this morning with the news that they played last night. Possible that it's a mistake by Air Force box office, I'm calling them as soon as they open to find out what happened.

Indeed it was changed quite a while ago as CBSSports picked up the TV rights for the game.

This is the chit I can't tolerate and why we need a complete overhaul of our coaches (Sorry Stacey) and even some players...

"It was less than an hour before tipoff when the academy had a pregame ceremony for a group of new cadets being sworn into the Air Force. UNLV players were shooting at one end of the court when associate head coach Ryan Miller, in respectable fashion, told the Rebels to stop and observe the moment. It was the correct gesture by Miller.

A few UNLV players kept dribbling and shooting and messing around. Miller walked over and reminded them to stop. He tried taking the ball from one, who instead bounced it behind his back and held it as Miller shook his head and walked away.

That's the attitude UNLV players showed up with here, and a few hours later, they paid for it dearly. Not in the standings. UNLV was out of the league race almost before it began."

Would like to know which player/players did this...

This way I can be happy when they finally leave the program.

Last edited:
Indeed it was changed quite a while ago as CBSSports picked up the TV rights for the game.

Thanks, AFA box office was kind enough to refund the tickets. Apparently they emailed out a notice of the change but claim I did not receive the notice because I had unsubscribed from their mailing list. Of course I unsubscribed...I don't want AFA emails in my inbox everyday! Anyway, they were great about it.

This is absolutey the worst UNLV basketball of all time. The season is over and if you think this team has a four game run in it you need your sports card revoked. We are not very good and maybe with the right coach some of these guys will become decent basketball players. Honestly I just want to blow this thing up and start over and file these memories under Bayno and Rollie

UNLV players were shooting at one end of the court when associate head coach Ryan Miller, in respectable fashion, told the Rebels to stop and observe the moment. It was the correct gesture by Miller.

A few UNLV players kept dribbling and shooting and messing around. Miller walked over and reminded them to stop. He tried taking the ball from one, who instead bounced it behind his back and held it as Miller shook his head and walked away.

Wow - that's disrespectful on a number of fronts. I probably wont be able to give my tickets away to the next couple games...

This is absolutey the worst UNLV basketball of all time. The season is over and if you think this team has a four game run in it you need your sports card revoked. We are not very good and maybe with the right coach some of these guys will become decent basketball players. Honestly I just want to blow this thing up and start over and file these memories under Bayno and Rollie

I think you are overreacting a bit.

95 team is pretty bad. Injury and coaching wise, it's right up there. We had some quality wins and some terrible losses

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT