ADVERTISEMENT

GoGo offense

1Tripoda

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2009
What does it look like? Is this Air Force offence 2.0? Is this runs, runs, runs with occasional pass? Or is this ding and dive like the Patriots offence with Edelman and the midget offence. Odom got some tall receivers on this team. Interesting to see what this offence will transpires into?

Reactions: rebel5280
What does it look like? Is this Air Force offence 2.0? Is this runs, runs, runs with occasional pass? Or is this ding and dive like the Patriots offence with Edelman and the midget offence. Odom got some tall receivers on this team. Interesting to see what this offence will transpires into?

It's a spread offense with read option and RPO elements.

QB lines up in pistol.

With 2RBs to one side of him instead of either side or in I directly behind him.

It creates an unbalanced look to the defense.

QB RB1 RB2

WR1 T G C G T WR3 W2

It's a spread offense with read option and RPO elements.

QB lines up in pistol.

With 2RBs to one side of him instead of either side or in I directly behind him.

It creates an unbalanced look to the defense.

QB RB1 RB2

WR1 T G C G T WR3 W2
What the advantage of that? I guess it all depends on the type of QB plays?

Brum ain’t the QB unless they install some short passes. Bailey definitely out of the equation unless you guys see it differently

Brum ain’t the QB unless they install some short passes. Bailey definitely out of the equation unless you guys see it differently
This is Friel's comfort zone. He did got injured last year. We will see...

Type of QB doesn't really matter.

More athletic QB you can lean more on zone read.

Less athletic QB more RPO.

It doesn't take a great running QB to be effective.

Even a less athletic guy can help in run game because of all the diversion it creates.

Reactions: 1Tripoda and dcut03
side note - I really liked the bold Vegas pride design of that field! I would like that to come back or something like it! ♠️♦️♣️♥️
At the time it showed me how much Sanchez understood the valley. He embraced Vegas and everything it is, because he lived it. Probably the main reason we have the Fertitta complex.
Well,… Just win - and the field will look the best it ever has!!

I see what you mean and definitely agree. The key to all of this is having options at qb. If our qb is slow and less of a threat to run, the RPO is less effective because itll take away the qb run. If the qb isnt a great passer, it lets defenses stack the box.

I can see Brumfield going crazy in this offense because of his athleticism. I want to see if Bailey has a little more wiggle than what we have seen. I'm not sure if Friel will beat out either of them. To me, he looks very antsy in the pocket but that can be for a plethora of reasons that arent his fault.

When I think of the most successful Patriot teams I think of the two TE sets of Gronk and crazy dude. Also the Randy Moss air it out show. This offense doesn’t appear to be either of those.

I see what you mean and definitely agree. The key to all of this is having options at qb. If our qb is slow and less of a threat to run, the RPO is less effective because itll take away the qb run. If the qb isnt a great passer, it lets defenses stack the box.

I can see Brumfield going crazy in this offense because of his athleticism. I want to see if Bailey has a little more wiggle than what we have seen. I'm not sure if Friel will beat out either of them. To me, he looks very antsy in the pocket but that can be for a plethora of reasons that arent his fault.
Who can realistically see Friel being the guy? I mean it’s okay to move forward with better players. We did it with the coach. It’s about getting better. Not going back to a guy that failed last year. It’s nothing personal but it’s time to get better players across the board. I’m sure the coaches know that but the fans are naming QBs (out of loyalty maybe) that shouldn’t be the QB if we want to be better. It’s nothing personal.

Who can realistically see Friel being the guy? I mean it’s okay to move forward with better players. We did it with the coach. It’s about getting better. Not going back to a guy that failed last year. It’s nothing personal but it’s time to get better players across the board. I’m sure the coaches know that but the fans are naming QBs (out of loyalty maybe) that shouldn’t be the QB if we want to be better. It’s nothing personal.

Based on last year, no Friel should not be in the mix. He was coming off a solid Freshman season. Especially factoring he played no football his senior year of HS and saw limited Spring reps. He regressed badly last season.

But to just write him off though seems premature.

Guys improve. They bounce back.

Best example of that would be Caleb Herring. There was nothing to point to his first few years that said this guy could lead a team. Got so bad he was moved to WR for awhile.

Funny thing happened.

Worked hard. Learned to play his position better. . Lead the Rebs to their last bowl game.

So there is precedent.

Is Friel that guy? Maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer after Spring if it looks like he's running third on the depth chart.

But if we are going to assume that the coaching is going to improve under Odom, that would also include player development.

Well one if his sets had 2 TEs in the video.
I can see them being used as an H back as well.
Also dude can change position. Tes are usually pretty athletic guys that can
play different positions. Also good for special teams. Where we obviously need all the help in the world.

I’m starting to see how the shorter RBs may be extremely beneficial to this offense where part of the strategy is deception. In that clip above, our safety didn’t know that the RB didn’t have the ball until it was too late. Hiding a 5’8” guy behind a 6’5” OL will do that.

I’m also the first to admit that I see how plays work and develop much better in basketball than in football so, if I’m totally off, feel free to correct me.

In general, modern defenses use a lot of cover 2/cover4 to top modern spread offenses. Those zone shells are usually symmetrical in their coverages--meaning the patches of field the defenders have to cover are pretty similar. The GoGo not only shows unbalanced backfields, but unbalanced lines, and unbalanced receiver alignment to stress those sort of defenses, forcing teams to play more man or more cover 1/3. That leaves people more susceptible to the deep middle throws as well as the RPO/Option run game.

So don't just pay attention to the unbalanced backfield, look at what happens when we show 22 personnel and come out with both tackles on the strong side, the backfield weighing in that direction and both WR on the short side of the line. If you're in cover 2 shell, now your MLB/Robber has to get on the unbalanced side of the line because we've created an extra gap nobody has responsibilities for. If they don't fill that gap we run the ball through that gap. Once they put someone in that gap now there's all sorts of open territory that you can counter/read option into, or throw to a receiver on the back side who will now have a lot more space to get open. If the defense starts to adjust, you can come out with a balanced line and now they're again in a bad position and will have to adjust. Making teams adjust on the fly usually means more mistakes happen. It creates mismatches as long as the QB can read a defense and understand how to distribute the rock. When done right it forces the defense to react to you and then you attack what he leaves open by reacting to what you're doing.

It's a clever offense, and yes, it's a little gimmicky, but as long as we're executing it properly it forces defenses to react and makes them pick their poison. When we played Howard we stayed in our cover 2 shell and they ran the ball down our throats through that open gap over, and over, and over again.

It really requires a QB that can make 1-2 quick pre-snap reads and then distribute the ball via the option and the vertical pass to be really effective.

I see we have at least 3 Tight End recruits.. how do they fit into this type of offense?
TE lets you run crazy unbalanced lines without having to move your weakside tackle. Gives you even more formational flexibility, especially if they are well rounded and can block and catch.

I am worried about the sustainability of this offense in conference. We really haven't seen that aspect of that in college football. MRion hasn't stuck around long enough in one place to see how teams respond with multiple games against these sets.
If this offense creates simple reads to succeed, then defenses could eventually anticipate this and create sets to counter this.
Of course you could look at other system teams like AFA that do have some sustained success, but those are less gimmicky.
But either way this first year could be really fun

Reactions: LVRebel2000
When I think of the most successful Patriot teams I think of the two TE sets of Gronk and crazy dude. Also the Randy Moss air it out show. This offense doesn’t appear to be either of those.
This offense doesn’t seem to be in line with one of the greatest offenses in professional football history? Is that the standard now?

Until ( if ever) we are a P5 program we'll have good athletes but we'll be lacking the best athletes. To win we need to play differently in order to even those odds.

I'm not enough of an expert to know if this is the tactic we need. But I have fought against foes who were outclassed in manpower and equipment. (Vietnam) These foes developed guerilla tactics that eventually won.

The long-term problem with a new and inventive tactic is, if it's successful, teams will develop counter-tactics to beat it ( wishbone ) But that would mean we had several years of success - a problem I'd be willing to deal with.

What we have been doing for the past 30+ years sure hasn't been working. So why keep doing the same thing? Change it up and let's see what happens. Can't really get much worse.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Im less worried about defenses being able to "figure it out" there won't be enough tape on it long enough and we aren't just adapting it, We have the creator. It's making its way into NFL playbooks as a variation of RPO, which defenses still haven't figured out. Marrion should be able to adapt each game plan to exploit the defenses in our conference which are not exactly overly great.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I am worried about the sustainability of this offense in conference. We really haven't seen that aspect of that in college football. MRion hasn't stuck around long enough in one place to see how teams respond with multiple games against these sets.
If this offense creates simple reads to succeed, then defenses could eventually anticipate this and create sets to counter this.
Of course you could look at other system teams like AFA that do have some sustained success, but those are less gimmicky.
But either way this first year could be really fun
In general, most highly-specialized sets are kind of tough to gameplan for when performed correctly--however, a very disciplined man-to-man with good team speed can stop a lot of what the base GoGo does, but it's super hard to stop every facet of a triple option play consistently. We're not running out of the wishbone or power T, but the GoGo is a triple option offense. Instead of a fullback dive you add in an RPO. In some of the sets I've watched it is actually a quadruple option: halfback weakside dive, halfback wide zone, QB counter, RPO backside. That's a lot of discipline to ask of most defenses on every play.

The question becomes what in the modern game isn't a gimmick. Hell, the 3-3-5 on defense is kind of a gimmick built to bring exotic pressure, the 3-4 is a gimmick that uses zone blitz schemes to short circuit pre-snap reads. The West Coast offense is a gimmick built to make short throws in space for YAC and to run the ball to keep defenses honest. The triple option is a gimmick to test gap security and discipline, the RPO is a gimmick that punishes teams for playing softer coverage, the spread is a gimmick which forces teams to play in a nickel, etc etc.

My biggest concern is so much of the GoGo relies on the QB making the right reads. Brumfield is not typically a good zone read guy, though he was pretty good on the RPO especially early in the season. He'll need to be able to do both for the offense to be successful. Arroyo basically had to take a lot of the read option game that was part of the Oregon offense off the table as the season went on. I think Harrison had the most correct zone reads all season in his limited play time.

I agree.

But this offense does work because of unbalanced fronts creating one or two reads. I can see some matching defensive sets where these reads are going to be more difficult to figure out. An unbalanced defensive front that will line up better against what we put out there.
But yes. That will still be tough to prepare for in 1 week. It also depends on how much Marion switches things up. Does he constantly switch up sets and creates plays? Or does he rely on a few that doesn't change much.
AFA doesn't need to change their sets that much, so who knows.

I see we have at least 3 Tight End recruits.. how do they fit into this type of offense?

I think it will vary a lot.

They will lineup traditionally next to a tackle, I think you'll also see them split out in some bunch formations to try and get a bigger body on smaller DBs in the run game. You might see them get lined up in the backfield in the role of a FB to block or as an outlet pass on RPO stuff.

I think the role remains the same but how and where they lineup will be a little different than what we've seen in the past.

Be interesting to watch. Rebs haven't really utilized the TE much in the passing game for awhile now.

Reactions: dcut03
I think it will vary a lot.

They will lineup traditionally next to a tackle, I think you'll also see them split out in some bunch formations to try and get a bigger body on smaller DBs in the run game. You might see them get lined up in the backfield in the role of a FB to block or as an outlet pass on RPO stuff.

I think the role remains the same but how and where they lineup will be a little different than what we've seen in the past.

Be interesting to watch. Rebs haven't really utilized the TE much in the passing game for awhile now.
When an offence like the GoGo forces the defense to go on the defense, this is where an offence become effective.

That should be on a T-Shirt...
dtfb.jpg

Eagles used some of that. Talk about yesterday, imagine what it is like to be the Bengals' fans....that was brutal.
Try being an Eagles/Bengals fan. Talk about extreme highs and lows. They were given every opportunity to win that game. Kept grasping at those straws and just couldn’t hold onto anything.

Try being an Eagles/Bengals fan. Talk about extreme highs and lows. They were given every opportunity to win that game. Kept grasping at those straws and just couldn’t hold onto anything.
They were given exactly what the league wanted to give them. And when the opportunity came to give it back the Kc, they did so. How many missed calls did they have on previous drives, or the missed hold on the kick return... Yeah, sucks for Bengals fans and for fans. KC fans have become some of the worst over the past few seasons, constantly acting like theyre being disrespected. Its annoying and then you see crap like Sunday and it makes you want to just quit watching. and Im not even a Bengals fan, cant imagine for them

Reactions: Mojo702
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT