ADVERTISEMENT

GCU is the old UNLV

To be fair... Beard was a slam dunk hire for UNLV and had he not left 3 weeks later we probably arent discussing this year being the first post season trip in a decade. The mess that followed was Karma and bad luck....
Menzies was an after thought hire... the clown show that took place after Beard was hired from the BOR meeting made the job toxic in that cycle. We probably shouldve just tried to hire Ryan Miller instead of Menzies at that point, but oh well...
That mess is why the way that coaches is hired has changed and I believe no longer requires the board of regents approval.

Reactions: j. spilotro
No way, Sampson took OU to a final four and elite eight, then turned around Indiana and had them at 22-4 when he was fired. He was going to make Indiana what Houston is now.

And why I said it takes a coach and money. They got the coach and then booster. The arena they played in before upgrades was a joke. I will say they started with getting football going, moving into an on campus stadium and then got basketball back up. Maybe that will be the blueprint UNLV follows….minus the on campus stadium.
Houston always had an on campus stadium. Their old stadium, which was worse than Sam Boyd was razed and the new one is in the same location.

Their Tillman cares much more about the School than ours. He is an alum and has much more of a rooting interest. The Vegas Fertittas threw us a bone since we hired their sons' coach.

I forgot that he took OU to a final four, but he is still doing arguably better now. In addition to also having a final four and elite 8 in Houston, plus a few more seasons that are better the the comparable seasons at OU. IU was a wash I guess being there not even 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Houston always had an on campus stadium. Their old stadium, which was worse than Sam Boyd was razed and the new one is in the same location.

Their Tillman cares much more about the School than ours. He is an alum and has much more of a rooting interest. The Vegas Fertittas threw us a bone since we hired their sons' coach.

I forgot that he took OU to a final four, but he is still doing arguably better now. In addition to also having a final four and elite 8 in Houston, plus a few more seasons that are better the the comparable seasons at OU. IU was a wash I guess being there not even 2 seasons.
While the donations of $10 million is by far the largest donation to UNLV by the Fertitta family, they have been donating off and on to UNLV for about 40 years. Back in 1989 they donated $1 million to the tennis program for the Frank and Vicki Fertitta Complex.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
While the donations of $10 million is by far the largest donation to UNLV by the Fertitta family, they have been donating off and on to UNLV for about 40 years. Back in 1989 they donated $1 million to the tennis program for the Frank and Vicki Fertitta Complex.
That is good to hear. It really is.

Though Tillman donated 20 mil just to renovate the Basketball arena. He also donated 50 million dollars to their med school.

I hope with a Fertitta on the coaching staff it brings them more of a rooting interest in the school and the program.

For UH, there was a stadium on campus but it was owned by Houston schools not UH. From 1950-1965, UH played at Rice stadium and then played at the Astrodome until 1997 or 98, with a game or two on campus in the mid 90’s. They refurbished and moved back on campus Robertson in 98. Then really got serious when they tore it down and built a newer stadium. So it happened in two steps but they brought their games back on campus and then got a real stadium.

I agree that side of the family supports UH more than the UNLV side, but my point is still to be relevant outside a major conference you need good coaching and donor money. UH got that in Sumlin to start for football and then Sampson and then has been able to bring in donor moeny off that success.

Why Ryan Miller over our own alumni Stacey Augmon?

We love Stacey, but he would have had an arguably lesser resume than even Kevin.
Ryan Miller had been a successful assistant coach and recruiter and multiple schools at that point.
It is just unprecedented to hire an assistant coach that was under a fired head coach. It is not common to hire a head coach under the previous "failed" staff.
Though after the Beard thing, they should have hired Ryan, even Stacey with a short contract perhaps. It would have been better for sure.
L
Nope. Craig Thompson once said that was a requirement for full membership.

Bad take, in my opinion. But also, if MWC membership required it and it was the only thing holding them up... would they start a program?

That mess is why the way that coaches is hired has changed and I believe no longer requires the board of regents approval.

What a f’n mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT