ADVERTISEMENT

GCU is the old UNLV

saulpaul21

UNLV Hall of Fame
Apr 18, 2006
I watch GCU and think about the old rebels. Great coach, great fan base, hustling players.

Btw: there was a quick Josh Baker appearance for gcu tonight.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Should have added they can dominate their conference of guppies compared to what they are.

I'd like to see GCU join the MWC. I think they would be fun to have in conference with their fan base and a good reason to go to Phoenix.

The GCU footprint in downtown phx is insane. It has grown immensely in the last 8-10 years

I'd like to see GCU join the MWC. I think they would be fun to have in conference with their fan base and a good reason to go to Phoenix.

The GCU footprint in downtown phx is insane. It has grown immensely in the last 8-10 years
Do they have football?

Meanwhile they got blown out by Alabama (the basketball team not the football team) lmfao
GCU was up 58-55 with like 3-4 minutes left. Then just faded last couple minutes. But definitely not a blow out. GCU pushed Alabama to the end

GCU does not compare on any level to the old UNLV teams which were dominant and had a national following at the time. Gonzaga is the only comparison of a non power conference program.

Reactions: unlove and Couev
Do they have football?
Nope. Craig Thompson once said that was a requirement for full membership.

Bad take, in my opinion. But also, if MWC membership required it and it was the only thing holding them up... would they start a program?

If the PAC decides to do a rebuild over a straight merger, having some bball only teams could come in handy. Depends on how many football schools they invite. GCU might be a candidate for that. Good market, been a good program the past few years.

GCU does not compare on any level to the old UNLV teams which were dominant and had a national following at the time. Gonzaga is the only comparison of a non power conference program.
GCU is in early innings, just as unlv and tark were in 1973. If you compare early tark vs gcu now, there are similarities.

I'd say Gonzaga is a closer comparison to UNLV over time especially if you take into consideration where Spokane was in 1999 and how much it has grown

GCU is a for-profit school that has a lot more resources than 1970s UNLV ever had

Didn’t they beat us under Menzies?

I like them, they got a deep Christian fan base.

Here's a "UNLV over time" comparison for you: La Tech Lady Techsters. Both teams were major players, at times dominant, on the national college hoops scene for a couple of decades (maybe a little longer for LTU). Now both teams struggle for relevance.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Why do you need an example outside of men’s college basketball? Just look at DePaul, Georgetown, Houston. Great schools because of a coach and afterwards struggle and continue to burn through coaches until they find a new great coach and have money backing them. Only Houston has found that with money and a coach. Sure there might be a season of glory or two, but sustained success requires finding another golden coach and which then causes sustained investment.
Coaches make the program if you are not in a power conference and only if you can keep them. I am sure people think Gonzaga will continue post Few but if they have a bad higher and lose funding and support it will collapse. UNLV manages to screw up both both at the same time thanks to their president.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Why do you need an example outside of men’s college basketball? Just look at DePaul, Georgetown, Houston. Great schools because of a coach and afterwards struggle and continue to burn through coaches until they find a new great coach and have money backing them. Only Houston has found that with money and a coach. Sure there might be a season of glory or two, but sustained success requires finding another golden coach and which then causes sustained investment.
Coaches make the program if you are not in a power conference and only if you can keep them. I am sure people think Gonzaga will continue post Few but if they have a bad higher and lose funding and support it will collapse. UNLV manages to screw up both both at the same time thanks to their president.
I think the current president ain’t like the last few and the current AD is most definitely not like the last few so there is that…

Here's a "UNLV over time" comparison for you: La Tech Lady Techsters. Both teams were major players, at times dominant, on the national college hoops scene for a couple of decades (maybe a little longer for LTU). Now both teams struggle for relevance.
What happened to that program is pretty sad

What happened to that program is pretty sad
Was talking to @LocoRebel the other day and LSU wbb flashed across the screen, which brought up the "hit piece" Kim Mulkey has been threatening to sue the Washington Post over if they print it. That made me think of Mulkey as the pig-tailed PG for LTU back in the day and how dominant that program was and made me realize the parallels between them and UNLV mbb once upon a time. Sad indeed

Reactions: RebelSoldat
HOUSTON? They are a number 1 seed this year, and have the money to stay there in the future!

And where were they before Sampson and the money? It wasn’t their history that turned them around it was a coach, updated facilities and money for the program. After Lewis left they were dead in the water for a long time.

Houston’s coach wanted the UNLV gig. I think that’s when we hired Beard/Menzies.

Timing is everything. I think Whitfield/Harper leadership would have done it. Instead we had Jessup/TKM.
Don’t know if they’d do it either. I really don’t.

We assume Harper to be great because of Odom. And he struck gold in year one. But though Odom was a solid hire; he was clean.

I don’t know how they feel in “taking a chance” on a coach with a checkered past.

Again, I’m AD, I have the money, these calls are easy for me. I don’t have an issue taking a risk. The only time we’ve had success is when we’ve taken a risk and that crap he was accused of was stuff Portland State was doing 10 years ago and something that is legal now.

The AD’s of the recent past … they weren’t taking a risk.

UNLV would never go out on that limb.

I would have in a heartbeat.

He’d have been one of a small handful of perfect or near perfect fits.
NCAA violation for illegal texts..

Bunch of nazis when you look back at it.

Timing is everything. I think Whitfield/Harper leadership would have done it. Instead we had Jessup/TKM.
Jessup/TKM - dumb and dumber!
Freezing Jim Carrey GIF

Houston hit the jackpot. Got a good coach that was available because he had some stank on him. Though nothing too egregious.

But Sampson has been much, much better at Houston than he was at OU and IU. So they lucked out there too.

And where were they before Sampson and the money? It wasn’t their history that turned them around it was a coach, updated facilities and money for the program. After Lewis left they were dead in the water for a long time.
Fertitta Money! The other side of the that family in Houston has donated millions of dollars to that school. Their basketball arena is named the Fertitta Center.

The Las Vegas side of that family is helping us get out of the quagmire we've endured. We have facilities now thanks to that family. We just need to see how our AD builds on what has been given to us. I think we are on the right trajectory. The right hire in basketball and we could be on the same path.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Houston’s coach wanted the UNLV gig. I think that’s when we hired Beard/Menzies.
To be fair... Beard was a slam dunk hire for UNLV and had he not left 3 weeks later we probably arent discussing this year being the first post season trip in a decade. The mess that followed was Karma and bad luck....
Menzies was an after thought hire... the clown show that took place after Beard was hired from the BOR meeting made the job toxic in that cycle. We probably shouldve just tried to hire Ryan Miller instead of Menzies at that point, but oh well...

To be fair... Beard was a slam dunk hire for UNLV and had he not left 3 weeks later we probably arent discussing this year being the first post season trip in a decade. The mess that followed was Karma and bad luck....
Menzies was an after thought hire... the clown show that took place after Beard was hired from the BOR meeting made the job toxic in that cycle. We probably shouldve just tried to hire Ryan Miller instead of Menzies at that point, but oh well...
Why Ryan Miller over our own alumni Stacey Augmon?

Why Ryan Miller over our own alumni Stacey Augmon?
Yes. Ryan is an excellent coach and recruiter. The program just fired someone attached to its past history and that wouldn't have been a good time for his hiring. His lack of college coaching experience is also a factor. Ryan knew the conference, recruited well, and would've made a better hire than Menzies, and I think there was supposedly a rumor he thought he was getting the job after Beard left when they hired Menzies instead.

Reactions: dcut03
Yes. Ryan is an excellent coach and recruiter. The program just fired someone attached to its past history and that wouldn't have been a good time for his hiring. His lack of college coaching experience is also a factor. Ryan knew the conference, recruited well, and would've made a better hire than Menzies, and I think there was supposedly a rumor he thought he was getting the job after Beard left when they hired Menzies instead.
We love Stacey, but he would have had an arguably lesser resume than even Kevin.
Ryan Miller had been a successful assistant coach and recruiter and multiple schools at that point.
It is just unprecedented to hire an assistant coach that was under a fired head coach. It is not common to hire a head coach under the previous "failed" staff.
Though after the Beard thing, they should have hired Ryan, even Stacey with a short contract perhaps. It would have been better for sure.

Houston hit the jackpot. Got a good coach that was available because he had some stank on him. Though nothing too egregious.

But Sampson has been much, much better at Houston than he was at OU and IU. So they lucked out there too.
No way, Sampson took OU to a final four and elite eight, then turned around Indiana and had them at 22-4 when he was fired. He was going to make Indiana what Houston is now.

Fertitta Money! The other side of the that family in Houston has donated millions of dollars to that school. Their basketball arena is named the Fertitta Center.

The Las Vegas side of that family is helping us get out of the quagmire we've endured. We have facilities now thanks to that family. We just need to see how our AD builds on what has been given to us. I think we are on the right trajectory. The right hire in basketball and we could be on the same path.
And why I said it takes a coach and money. They got the coach and then booster. The arena they played in before upgrades was a joke. I will say they started with getting football going, moving into an on campus stadium and then got basketball back up. Maybe that will be the blueprint UNLV follows….minus the on campus stadium.

Unprecedented for sure, but would've been a solid hire. But we went with Marvin instead and that ended about as well as you would've thought...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT