ADVERTISEMENT

Garyt Odom is out

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
He has checked out of Faith and has moved back to Arkansas. 2 people have confirmed this to me.

I personally don't see how the Odom's are in Vegas come this time next year.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
He has checked out of Faith and has moved back to Arkansas. 2 people have confirmed this to me.

I personally don't see how the Odom's are in Vegas come this time next year.

That's not good.

For us..

But if he wins another 9+ games he'll have left the program in better shape than when he got here. Proved you can win here.

It will be up to Harper to keep the train rolling.

(This is of course a lot of early speculation and definitely not going to worry about it until there's reason to worry about it) All about this upcoming season.

Why?

Did he not have confidence in Faith and wanted to play his senior season in AK? Is he not sure about playing at UNLV and wants better access to recruiters in his region of choice?

Thank you for this information!

I think we’re reading too much into it.

He was splitting time at Faith and wasn’t given a lot of playing time/chances. I think he wants to play a lot and misses his old teammates. Doesn’t have anything to do with Odom leaving UNLV or not. Odom still needs to have a successful season next season for any suitors that come calling.

Why?

Did he not have confidence in Faith and wanted to play his senior season in AK? Is he not sure about playing at UNLV and wants better access to recruiters in his region of choice?

Thank you for this information!
I’m also confused about this.

Assuming Garyt still wants to play for his dad in college:

If Barry is moving on after next year (assuming we have another good year and he gets a better offer), Garyt could just decommit and follow his dad wherever he ends up. What’s the point of moving back to Arkansas now?

I’m also confused about this.

Assuming Garyt still wants to play for his dad in college:

If Barry is moving on after next year (assuming we have another good year and he gets a better offer), Garyt could just decommit and follow his dad wherever he ends up. What’s the point of moving back to Arkansas now?
Playing time and missed his old teammates. Probably wants one last run with the guys while getting starter reps.

I think we’re reading too much into it.

He was splitting time at Faith and wasn’t given a lot of playing time/chances. I think he wants to play a lot and misses his old teammates. Doesn’t have anything to do with Odom leaving UNLV or not. Odom still needs to have a successful season next season for any suitors that come calling.

Any suitors worth considering..

It will take more than a middling P4 program to make him want to leave.

Caveat would be somewhere he's familiar with or a dream job type scenario.

Arkansas would scare me. Him being an Oklahoma guy a job like OSU would scare me (I don't think it's opening any time soon just an example)

Any suitors worth considering..

It will take more than a middling P4 program to make him want to leave.

Caveat would be somewhere he's familiar with or a dream job type scenario.

Arkansas would scare me. Him being an Oklahoma guy a job like OSU would scare me (I don't think it's opening any time soon just an example)

If they come calling, nothing we can do about it but he still has to perform well next season.

The Odoms seem like they raised their kids well and want to give Garyt an opportunity to hone his skills and be with his friends.

I was surprised that Garyt played at Faith and wasn’t given much opportunity. It was an odd pairing to me, but he’s going to be a senior and rather than start new somewhere else in the valley knowing college is the following year, he went back to familiar surroundings. Can’t blame him.

If they come calling, nothing we can do about it but he still has to perform well next season.

The Odoms seem like they raised their kids well and want to give Garyt an opportunity to hone his skills and be with his friends.

I was surprised that Garyt played at Faith and wasn’t given much opportunity. It was an odd pairing to me, but he’s going to be a senior and rather than start new somewhere else in the valley knowing college is the following year, he went back to familiar surroundings. Can’t blame him.
Of the two qbs, the other one had a more accurate arm. But Garyt seemed like a much better athlete. Though my sample size is limited to two games this season.

Even if it were, Otz gave us crap and just waded through the water until ISU opened.

Odom would have given us UNLV’s best year in 40 years and maybe best back to back years ever.

One at least gave, the other robbed.
Agree 100%. If Odom leaves, he will have made this job in much better shape than when he took over. Furthermore, he would have made this a MUCH desirable job in my opinion too. Everyone always said you COULD win here, but nobody ever has consistently. If Odom wins enough to get another job (at say Arkansas), he would have shown you can win consistently.

Agree 100%. If Odom leaves, he will have made this job in much better shape than when he took over. Furthermore, he would have made this a MUCH desirable job in my opinion too. Everyone always said you COULD win here, but nobody ever has consistently. If Odom wins enough to get another job (at say Arkansas), he would have shown you can win consistently.
I agree. Also, at the time he signed his contract with UNLV he was the highest paid coach in the MWC and after next year his salary will be bumped to $2 mill. So UNLV is finally paying a competitive salary for its football coach and the facilities are top notch. Moreover, like you pointed in one year Odom proved that UNLV football can win at UNLV. If he does leave at some point down the road the program will be much more attractive.

MWC coaches salary: https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/re...will-be-the-highest-paid-in-the-mountain-west

Honestly, any UNLV fan should be prepared that a new coach will be on the table next year. It's not a bad thing. Given how much we've loaded up this staff is aiming for the highest level a G5 program can reach and inevitably it'll lead to them exiting for their home region (he's a Midwest guy)... but guess what, our program becomes the most attractive G5 job out there, and we could be in a position to hire the best available coach at our tier rather than begging for someone to throw us a bone...

Honestly, any UNLV fan should be prepared that a new coach will be on the table next year. It's not a bad thing. Given how much we've loaded up this staff is aiming for the highest level a G5 program can reach and inevitably it'll lead to them exiting for their home region (he's a Midwest guy)... but guess what, our program becomes the most attractive G5 job out there, and we could be in a position to hire the best available coach at our tier rather than begging for someone to throw us a bone...
I dont think Coach O is going anywhere, IMO. But yeah, prepped yourself just in case.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I do think that it'll take a pretty good job to steer Odom away.
He has been canned for being decent in a lower power conference school. His Alma mater no less.
Under the current rules, thiugh I can see them changing, the conference champions of the best 2 G5 conferences get autobids. Though they may have to be ranked in the playoff top 25. Unsure on that one, the description is vague there.
Under those rules the MW champion is almost assured a playoff spot most years.
He got us to the championship game his first year and he is now out recruiting the rest of the conference. I think it'll take more than any p4 school to come calling for him to leave.

I was outside of Target and Faith Lutheran had their own travel luxury bus with the giant stickers. Holy crap, talk about “spoiled”

Can u imagine if we kept Rice and Findlay Prep just kept playing at FL?

F’n morons this institution.

I was outside of Target and Faith Lutheran had their own travel luxury bus with the giant stickers. Holy crap, talk about “spoiled”

Can u imagine if we kept Rice and Findlay Prep just kept playing at FL?

F’n morons this institution.
Slam academy has their own bus too. I don’t think even Gorman has a G bus.

I think I been to slam academy. It’s on the west side of town correct?
Slam is in Henderson. I think its owned by some rapper. There are 14 of these schools throughout 3 states. I had never heard of them before November. They focus on Sports Leadership and Management; which makes them sound like the old Findlay Prep model.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelScrub
Yup my nephew played against Slam Academy. Their frickin’ school/team was hella ghetto. F’n hated their teams. I was glad knowing that once their kids completed high school..they had no chance in life at the next level.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Worst thing about SLAM is they arbitrarily keep their student body hella small so they can’t be moved up past 3A. Two years ago they had 5A talent playing against 3A. Even dumber is the NIAA then moves up 3A teams in SLAM‘s place to 4A knowing they don’t belong. i SOOOOO want to be the new head of the NIAA. I heard through the grapevine the directors should be stepping down this spring. They need to overhaul how they align Divisions. They were on a good track with the relegation/promotion system but they need some other tweaks to make it better. First thing on the list should be to remove the charter school multiplayer. Charter school’s school population is multiplied by 2 to determine school size if it’s 6-12 or 9-12 and by 1.5 if it’s K-12. Who knows why. They also use all students, so if it’s a K-12 they multiply all students by the multiplayer. My son goes to a K-12 charter school of 500 HS students total but according to the NIAA we have 4000 students due to K-12 multiplied.

Don’t get me started

Also SLAM is not owned by a rapper. It‘s Pitbull….Mr. Worldwide. He is not a rapper. He’s poop.

Worst thing about SLAM is they arbitrarily keep their student body hella small so they can’t be moved up past 3A. Two years ago they had 5A talent playing against 3A. Even dumber is the NIAA then moves up 3A teams in SLAM‘s place to 4A knowing they don’t belong. i SOOOOO want to be the new head of the NIAA. I heard through the grapevine the directors should be stepping down this spring. They need to overhaul how they align Divisions. They were on a good track with the relegation/promotion system but they need some other tweaks to make it better. First thing on the list should be to remove the charter school multiplayer. Charter school’s school population is multiplied by 2 to determine school size if it’s 6-12 or 9-12 and by 1.5 if it’s K-12. Who knows why. They also use all students, so if it’s a K-12 they multiply all students by the multiplayer. My son goes to a K-12 charter school of 500 HS students total but according to the NIAA we have 4000 students due to K-12 multiplied.

Don’t get me started

Also SLAM is not owned by a rapper. It‘s Pitbull….Mr. Worldwide. He is not a rapper. He’s poop.
I am no fan of Slam, but as far as private schools I think it should be case by case. Like Meadows. They’re a private school, but their football team shouldn’t be anywhere near Slam’s.

I am no fan of Slam, but as far as private schools I think it should be case by case. Like Meadows. They’re a private school, but their football team shouldn’t be anywhere near Slam’s.
School’s are no longer designated 3, 4, or 5A. It’s done on a sport by sport basis. That part I do like.

This spring, I get to coach against the first Gorman sport to ever be relegated. Music to my ears.

Private and public schools don’t have a multiplier so if their school is small enough, they cannot be promoted above 3A. For example, Boulder City. Even if they are mathematically to be promoted to 4A they are not forced to be promoted. They can volunteer to become 4A, but it’s their decision. Charter schools don’t have that protection. If you’re a 4A sport, you’re a 4A sport; unless you win an appeal. If you’re a 3A sport and another 3A sport decides they don’t want to be in 4A, again (involuntarily) you’re a 4A sport.

Side note: there has been only 1 charter school to have their appeal granted by the NIAA. Somerset Losee was promoted from 3A to 5A last year and they appealed to be put in 4A. Every other appeal has been denied. On the other side of the coin; Clark was in 5A and asked to be put in 4A. There was no reason for the relegation (other than their want to dominate and win state)…NIAA rubber stamped their appeal. No evidence presented of why their should be relegated.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA

Don’t get me started

How dare you insult Pitbull..

You're just jealous you didn't think of creating hit songs by yelling out individual city names and the occasional line in Spanish!

Don’t get me started

I don't know about you but I feel good...

Don’t get me started

Poop…rap…it sounds like an engagement in hair splitting to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT