Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
  1. Coach Tony Sanchez‏Verified account@UNLVSanchez 5h5 hours ago

1f534.png
    26ab.png
    #HeyReb X 2

My money is on Brandon Pierce. If that's the case another impact player for UNLV in 2019

The second heyreb could also be corner Jeremiah Houston. But I think we got Pierce, there's just too many signs pointing to it. Only thing I'm worried about is if Oklahoma decides to swoop in.

Is anyone else concerned with the large number of JC players UNLV has recruited this season?

Yes and No....

Yes because in two years you have an inordinate number of guys to replace.

No because Coach Sanchez needs guys that can produce this year.

I've posted this multiple times and will again because it created the situation he is currently in.

2016 class was a full class. Of that class only 10 were on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously there were a lot of holes to fill, but when you rank outside the top 100 in defense you would think that would be the focus. I digress. Anyway of those 10 players on defense only two are still on the team, and neither has contributed in any meaningful way. It was a completely wasted class on that side of the ball.

Right now there should be juniors and RS sophomores battling for starting spots and adding depth.

He essentially has no choice but go the Juco route especially on defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 530Rebel
They were gonna offer him at some point, I mean same juco as Marquise brown and basically identical physical traits and speed. BUT, he also keeps changing his Instagram profile pic to one of his photos from his unlv visit. He actually just changed back to it today when he posted about his Oklahoma offer... also Joe Arringo on Twitter tweeted a cryptic message that's signaling we might be getting a big recruit, he did it in December before we got Vic....

I could be definitely wrong, but im just trying to say things aren't always as they seem and relationships tend to win out

One thing I have noticed is the number of high level Gorman recruits that have come back to UNLV after going to another school first. I think they figure out that they have a much better chance to be an impact player at UNLV as a high 3* or low 4* player than they do at a major program that only has high level recruits. I look forward to the day when UNLV is playing in the new stadium and these players make UNLV their first choice. The fact that Biaggio Ali is walking on says a lot about what he thinks about the future of UNLV football! With a 0.8584 ranking for Biaggio, that would put him as the second best recruit for 2019, and one of the highest rated recruits ever. Alex Perry would be in the top 3 highest rated recruits ever.

Transfers to UNLV from Bishop Gorman
Brandon Gagahan - Oregon - not sure of his ranking
Zack Singer - Kent State - 3*
Alex Perry - ASU - 4*
Biaggio Ali Walsh - Cal - 3* - high level 3*

Also as an in state bonus:
Keenen King Arbor View HS - Washington State 3*

One thing I have noticed is the number of high level Gorman recruits that have come back to UNLV after going to another school first. I think they figure out that they have a much better chance to be an impact player at UNLV as a high 3* or low 4* player than they do at a major program that only has high level recruits. I look forward to the day when UNLV is playing in the new stadium and these players make UNLV their first choice. The fact that Biaggio Ali is walking on says a lot about what he thinks about the future of UNLV football! With a 0.8584 ranking for Biaggio, that would put him as the second best recruit for 2019, and one of the highest rated recruits ever. Alex Perry would be in the top 3 highest rated recruits ever.

Transfers to UNLV from Bishop Gorman
Brandon Gagahan - Oregon - not sure of his ranking
Zack Singer - Kent State - 3*
Alex Perry - ASU - 4*
Biaggio Ali Walsh - Cal - 3* - high level 3*

Also as an in state bonus:
Keenen King Arbor View HS - Washington State 3*

Keenan King no longer on roster according to Mark Anderson.

I think you may be right about King. I think he may have been the player that was kicked off the team for academic issues?

Yes and No....

Yes because in two years you have an inordinate number of guys to replace.

No because Coach Sanchez needs guys that can produce this year.

I've posted this multiple times and will again because it created the situation he is currently in.

2016 class was a full class. Of that class only 10 were on the defensive side of the ball. Obviously there were a lot of holes to fill, but when you rank outside the top 100 in defense you would think that would be the focus. I digress. Anyway of those 10 players on defense only two are still on the team, and neither has contributed in any meaningful way. It was a completely wasted class on that side of the ball.

Right now there should be juniors and RS sophomores battling for starting spots and adding depth.

He essentially has no choice but go the Juco route especially on defense.

I agree they have to get better on that side of the ball, and experienced guys is the best way to do that. Hello Juco!

The good thing for me. If by chance Sanchez does well enough to secure his job, I think the addition of Skipper has boosted the HS defensive recruiting efforts and hopefully we will have more homegrown players ready to fill those holes that the JCUOs will leave in 2 years.

I have been impressed with the recruiting this offseason. Especially after a disappointing year. It looks like they are going for broke, I hope it works!

I agree they have to get better on that side of the ball, and experienced guys is the best way to do that. Hello Juco!

The good thing for me. If by chance Sanchez does well enough to secure his job, I think the addition of Skipper has boosted the HS defensive recruiting efforts and hopefully we will have more homegrown players ready to fill those holes that the JCUOs will leave in 2 years.

I have been impressed with the recruiting this offseason. Especially after a disappointing year. It looks like they are going for broke, I hope it works!

It's been a solid class no doubt about it. Addressed some talent and depth issues.

Is it enough?

We'll know in December if we're playing a 13th game.

I try to look at things objectively...

So here comes my soon to be unpopular take I'm sure.

This class for all the hype surrounding it, is ranked 7th in the MWC.

I'm not sure if I should view this as a positive based on our past rankings? And we are starting to see a bump from the facility and stadium or a bit of a negative that they didn't have more of an impact...

I think Skipper has helped big time in recruiting at the High School and JUCO level.
It probably was the case he arrived too late to have much of an impact for the 2018 recruiting class. This year's effort thus far on the Defensive Recruiting trail has been awesome.
The Baer needed to go sooner then he did. Just look at his Recruiting efforts compared to Skipper's.
The final evaluation comes Wednesday, and ultimately next season in the form of WINS!!!
Already you have probably 8 defensive recruits that will see plenty of playing time versus hardly any impact from the 2018 recruits except Myles Plummer. The 2018 defensive recruits should have the opportunity this year to showcase their talent.
I think Luca Vartic, who was injured all year) will. I look to Tim Mosley, Malakai Salu, Chris Manoa, and Malcolm Johnson to contribute in 2019. But those guys have their work cut out to beat out the 2019 recruits.

I think Skipper has helped big time in recruiting at the High School and JUCO level.
It probably was the case he arrived too late to have much of an impact for the 2018 recruiting class. This year's effort thus far on the Defensive Recruiting trail has been awesome.
The Baer needed to go sooner then he did. Just look at his Recruiting efforts compared to Skipper's.
The final evaluation comes Wednesday, and ultimately next season in the form of WINS!!!
Already you have probably 8 defensive recruits that will see plenty of playing time versus hardly any impact from the 2018 recruits except Myles Plummer. The 2018 defensive recruits should have the opportunity this year to showcase their talent.
I think Luca Vartic, who was injured all year) will. I look to Tim Mosley, Malakai Salu, Chris Manoa, and Malcolm Johnson to contribute in 2019. But those guys have their work cut out to beat out the 2019 recruits.

I was at the practice and saw the play where Vartic got hurt. It was early in Spring camp but he had still been primarily running with the 2s and 3s. I'm not sure if he breaks the 2 deep this year or not.

Mosely passes the eye test. We'll see.
Salu is similar to Hester. Two down backer. He won't see field much against spread/pass heavy teams.
Manoa needs to get his weight in check from what I understand.
Malcolm Johnoson like Mosely passes the eye test. We'll see.

It's been a solid class no doubt about it. Addressed some talent and depth issues.

Is it enough?

We'll know in December if we're playing a 13th game.

I try to look at things objectively...

So here comes my soon to be unpopular take I'm sure.

This class for all the hype surrounding it, is ranked 7th in the MWC.

I'm not sure if I should view this as a positive based on our past rankings? And we are starting to see a bump from the facility and stadium or a bit of a negative that they didn't have more of an impact...

7th? Yikes. You'd think it would be better than that.

I do think all the JUCOs lessen the impact of the rankings. It seems like there is a bit of a standard deduction for a JUCO. Since they have less lasting impact that a 4 star JUCO won't count as heavy as a 4 star High schooler? I could be wrong.

Is that the best UNLV has done in the MWC?

7th? Yikes. You'd think it would be better than that.

I do think all the JUCOs lessen the impact of the rankings. It seems like there is a bit of a standard deduction for a JUCO. Since they have less lasting impact that a 4 star JUCO won't count as heavy as a 4 star High schooler? I could be wrong.

Is that the best UNLV has done in the MWC?

I think that is correct.

Also one thing about the rankings is they are a projection of where a player could be in 4 years.

I'll use basketball as an example. Anybody here think Dwayne Morgan was the 15th best player coming out of HS? No but he had elite size and athleticism combination.

Sometimes you don't see results for three or four years

I think that is correct.

I'll use basketball as an example. Anybody here think Dwayne Morgan was the 15th best player coming out of HS? No but he had elite size and athleticism combination.

Sometimes you don't see results for three or four years

Basketball makes the artificiality and politics of the star system obvious.

Bishop Gorman's Shabazz Muhammad was not only 5-star, but the #1 ranked player in his class for most of his time in HS (he ended up #2). In his class Marcus Smart was #10 and Andre Drummond was #86. Playing in a high profile program will get you noticed, while players at lesser programs around the valley go unnoticed.

Talent evaluation is a business. Guys like former Rebel Christian Papoola are in that business and can sway things. Papoola's son moved up to high 3-star. Chase Jeter moved up to 5-star and got a full ride to Duke.

Basketball makes the artificiality and politics of the star system obvious.

Bishop Gorman's Shabazz Muhammad was not only 5-star, but the #1 ranked player in his class for most of his time in HS (he ended up #2). In his class Marcus Smart was #10 and Andre Drummond was #86. Playing in a high profile program will get you noticed, while players at lesser programs around the valley go unnoticed.

Talent evaluation is a business. Guys like former Rebel Christian Papoola are in that business and can sway things. Papoola's son moved up to high 3-star. Chase Jeter moved up to 5-star and got a full ride to Duke.

All true as well..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT