ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman QB’s

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
A couple years ago Ohio St won the National Championship with a freshman at qb. Tonight it is starting to look like Georgia is gonna win the National Championship with a freshman qb.

Now I don’t expect UNLV to recruit a hot shot qb this year and go play for the National Championship but can’t we get one that can at least make us competitive in the Mountain West?

A couple years ago Ohio St won the National Championship with a freshman at qb. Tonight it is starting to look like Georgia is gonna win the National Championship with a freshman qb.

Now I don’t expect UNLV to recruit a hot shot qb this year and go play for the National Championship but can’t we get one that can at least make us competitive in the Mountain West?
Which QB at Ohio State won the national championship as a freshman?

Which QB at Ohio State won the national championship as a freshman?
My bad. Cardale was a sophmore. But a Freshman is still looking good tonight. My question still stands, why can’t we get a freshman Qb that can get us competitive in the Mountain West?

Armani did a good job, but you can't win a game when the defense is playing at lower division level and can't stop anyone from scoring. Armani is by far the highest level freshman QB UNLV has ever been able to recruit, if he had the offense and defense that Georgia or Alabama have, you would be raving over his skills.

LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV quarterback Armani Rogers was named 2017 Mountain West Freshman of the Year
I take it all back now, you are right. Very impressive in compiling a 3-9 record and garnering victories against heavy weights such as San Jose, New Mexico & Idaho.

Our only back to back victories coming with Stanton playing, managing the offense and keeping the defense off the field.

Not saying he wont develop but he certainly was in no way shape or form a true freshman that could walk in and take the reigns and raise the program up which was my original point.

Those freshman QBs that can come in and win are few and far between.

Trying to compare our QB situation to the NC game is a bit far fetched.

Rogers was FOY, for good reason. We had better offensive numbers with him at the helm, though he did struggle to sustain drives.

He obviously has things to work on.

He will be challenged in camp, mostly by the JC transfer. Though Rogers is our best prospect for the next few years.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Those freshman QBs that can come in and win are few and far between.

Trying to compare our QB situation to the NC game is a bit far fetched.
I said that I don’t expect us to get a freshman that can get us to a National Championship game but just raise us up in the mighty Mountain West Conference and make us competitive there.

Is that too much to ask for?

"take it all back now, you are right. Very impressive in compiling a 3-9 record and garnering victories against heavy weights such as San Jose, New Mexico & Idaho."

I know UNLV has a long way to go, but I do believe UNLV was 5-7. Outside of FSU, if the defense had even shown up a little during most of the season, UNLV would have gone 9-3 or 8-4. Howard, Air Force, byu, and unr are all games UNLV should have never lost. The defense made the offense of these other teams look like a top 25 program.

I said that I don’t expect us to get a freshman that can get us to a National Championship game but just raise us up in the mighty Mountain West Conference and make us competitive there.

Is that too much to ask for?

In all due respect, one player can not meet your expectations. This is a team sport. We chad NO defense and mediocre specials.

I respectfully disagree.

One true freshman QB made the difference Monday Night. We saw what Alabama looked like without him in the first half and what they looked like in the second half with him. And I do believe they were playing a team sport and he met everybody's expectations!

Again, I am not talking about UNLV playing for a National Championship, I am talking about the Mountain West for crying out loud!

I respectfully disagree.

One true freshman QB made the difference Monday Night. We saw what Alabama looked like without him in the first half and what they looked like in the second half with him. And I do believe they were playing a team sport and he met everybody's expectations!

Again, I am not talking about UNLV playing for a National Championship, I am talking about the Mountain West for crying out loud!

A QB can be a difference maker. However, Alabama had a field of difference makers as did Georgia. And, we have not yet discussed coaching. This is incomparable to the situation at UNLV. It will take more than a QB to raise this program. And, we have a very talented QB. He is just not surrounded with the talent of an AL or GA.

A lot of factors in that championship game.

A change of QB is tough to adjust to, especially when there is very little film on him (which had been garbage time up to that point)

Also Alabama was playing their usual conservative way, then opened up the playbook in the second half.

Not to take anything away from Tua, he made some remarkable plays, he is also a remarkable player. The #1 prospect. Very Special player. Mature beyond his years, especially with reading the defense and looking off defenders.

Stanton did some of those things better than Armani, he is also a senior. Stanton also wasnt that at doing many of those things in his time last year as a junior.

How about we try to develop the best prospect we have had in the past 25 years (+)?

Last edited:
A lot of factors in that championship game.

A change of QB is tough to adjust to, especially when there is very little film on him (which had been garbage time up to that point)

Also Alabama was playing their usual conservative way, then opened up the playbook in the second half.

Not to take anything away from Tua, he made some remarkable plays, he is also a remarkable player. The #1 prospect. Very Special player. Mature beyond his years, especially with reading the defense and looking off defenders.

Stanton did some of those things better than Armani, he is also a senior. Stanton also wasnt that at doing many of those things in his time last year as a junior.

How about we try to develop the best prospect we have had in the past 25 years (+)?
Agreed Brotha AND develop the rest of these special men.

You are kidding aren’t you? He won like 3 games this year. That’s not the kind of competitive I had in mind!
I'm serious about this question and I really don't mean to disrespect your opinion. Did you actually watch any games this/last year?

And I'm sure I'll get others to add their opinion on this one, but I've read opinions on his accuracy and I don't agree. Can he have some improvement from his freshman season to next year - Yes!. I do feel he had a fantastic touch on a large number of plays throughout the year and look forward to the increased chemistry he develops.

I'm all for some serious competition coming in and would love to see the local demand time in another year or two by how he's performing. It's a good problem to have!

I'm serious about this question and I really don't mean to disrespect your opinion. Did you actually watch any games this/last year?

And I'm sure I'll get others to add their opinion on this one, but I've read opinions on his accuracy and I don't agree. Can he have some improvement from his freshman season to next year - Yes!. I do feel he had a fantastic touch on a large number of plays throughout the year and look forward to the increased chemistry he develops.

I'm all for some serious competition coming in and would love to see the local demand time in another year or two by how he's performing. It's a good problem to have!

And... The dude has some legs and can get with it. When his maturity comes he will be dangerous.

I take it all back now, you are right. Very impressive in compiling a 3-9 record and garnering victories against heavy weights such as San Jose, New Mexico & Idaho.

Our only back to back victories coming with Stanton playing, managing the offense and keeping the defense off the field.

Not saying he wont develop but he certainly was in no way shape or form a true freshman that could walk in and take the reigns and raise the program up which was my original point.
I highlighted the fact that Armani was voted freshman of the year by the MWC thinking you just overlooked the fact that he was very productive and made UNLV competitive which was your original post: "can’t we get one that can at least make us competitive in the Mountain West?"
Now when you respond in a condescending fashion I see you are a true Rebelnetter.....

I have defended Armani as much as anyone around here.

there is no doubting his physical tools. He can make, and has made, some great throws. He can fit it in tight windows in a way we have seen since, maybe Jon Denton???

He struggles with touch at times, something Stanton was horrible at times first year here.

But the one counter argument against Armani is that his ability to go through his progressions and extending plays in order to pass. He I quick to take off and run, but doesn't use his legs to make a throw often.

Again these are common things that occur in young QBs, especially mobile ones. The worry is that not everyone can figure that out. Palandech sure couldn't.

And now there are 2 true freshman qb’s playing on the biggest stage.
Both were surrounded by 5 & 4 Star talent, particularly on defense and special teams. I'll demonstrate the significance just by comparing offense vs.defense but please keep in mind that special teams also dragged the offense down significantly. .

You do know that UNLV gained 427 yards per game?
Georgia gained just 8 yards more per game with 11 more attempts per game
Bama gained just 14 more yds per game with 9 more attempts per game
If our offense would have had 11 more attempts per game at 6.20 yds per attempt, then UNLV would have had a top 10 offense. Bama was 29th & Georgia was 32nd.

Now look at what was happening on the other side of the line.
Did you know that Bama's defense gave up only 260 yds on 65 plays per game?
Georgia gave up only 295 yds on 63 plays per game.
UNLV gave up a whopping 459 yds on 74 plays per game.

Any questions?

.... My question still stands, why can’t we get a freshman Qb that can get us competitive in the Mountain West?
UNLV was 2nd in the MWC in total offensive yards per game and last in yards allowed per game. Looks like Armani made us very competitive in the MWC.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
My bad. Cardale was a sophmore....
I went back and looked at that tOSU National Championship team and there are a lot of very interesting comparisons, actually differences, that jump out.

Cardale was the tOSU 3rd string QB all season long until the 2 QBs ahead of him went down with injury and he had to start the last 3 games. He never made any All American or All Big Ten teams during his college career, was drafted in the 4th round by Buffalo were he only played in one game due to injuries to the QBs ahead of him, was put on waivers by the Bills, picked up by the Chargers where he was the 3rd string QB and never played. He is expected to be cut by the Chargers prior to the draft to make room for drafting a QB in the mid rounds in this draft. Not terrible but certainly not a great QB.

Now what about the guys who played around him?

The tOSU starting SR TE and both WRs were drafted in 2015 and are starters in the NFL.

The starting OL was made up of Jrs and Sophs consisting of three 4 Stars and two 5 Stars. They rotated in 3 OLs from the 2nd string during every game in 2014 who were high 4 Star prospects out of HS. All 8 of them were Top 100 prospects coming out of HS. All of them made either the 1st, 2nd or Honorable Mention All Big Ten at least one time in their careers. 5 of those 8 made 1st, 2nd or Honorable mention All American. Taylor Decker was a consensus All American and a 1st round pick. All of them were drafted. 7 of the 8 became starters in the NFL. 7 of the 8 are still on NFL teams. That's pretty incredible even for tOSU.

Oh. Last but certainly not least, starting behind that OL, Cardale benefited from this RB with the strange name...Ezekiel Elliott. In those three games that Cardale started in 2014, "Zeke" ran all over the 3rd ranked Wisconsin Badgers' run defense for 220 yards on just 20 carries for 2 TDs. In the first play-off game against Bama's #1 defense against the run and # 2 defense overall, Zeke ran for 230 yards again on just 20 carries. In the national Championship game against Oregon, Zeke ran for 246 yards and 4 TDs. In all three of those games that Cardale started, Zeke was named the Player of the Game. Doesn't appear to be a fluke either since Zeke became the Big Ten Offensive Player of the year in 2015 while Cardale sat a lot on the bench, Zeke was named to All American teams, was 8th in Heisman voting, was drafted by the Cowboys as the 4th overall pick, led the NFL in rushing as a rookie, and is a Pro Bowl pick for the 2nd year in a row.

FWIW - tOSU defense in 2014 was 4th in the Nation and tOSU special teams were in the top 7 of every category.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT