ADVERTISEMENT

Flip incoming

Goes with the territory in my opinion. When you’re not in a power conference, you are going to have players get poached. It’s a good thing from the stand point that we actually have players that bigger schools want.

In the case of the QB, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see the OC get a. Power 5 (4) job, so didn’t think the QB would stick anyway. Hopefully they can rebound well from the upcoming losses.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Goes with the territory in my opinion. When you’re not in a power conference, you are going to have players get poached. It’s a good thing from the stand point that we actually have players that bigger schools want.

In the case of the QB, I really wouldn’t be surprised to see the OC get a. Power 5 (4) job, so didn’t think the QB would stick anyway. Hopefully they can rebound well from the upcoming losses.
I definitely agree. I didn't think the QB was staying since the day he committed. Everyone that is decommitting is someone who I thought wouldn't stick. But the QB one hurts from the standpoint that he was the lead recruiter in our class and was all Vegas and unlv and "be a rebel" online.

Can't be too mad. This is how it all works out. I personally didn't love him as a prospect but he is still solid. There's another QB committed to a P5 school that I think we should go after and think we'd have a solid chance at flipping

I could tell from your tone that he wasn’t going to remain with us. I trust that this staff will recover and provide this team with solid depth at all positions.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
No problem. I just really didn't believe it when it happened. A lot of QBs were off the board and lots of schools were starting to secure their 2024 QBs so I feel like this may have been a momentum and "necessary commitment" at the time.

2 recruits have already decommitted but it seemed like those were swept under the rug.

Kind of surprised considering how successful our season has been.
I'm a bit surprised. As "good" as our offense has been, it hasn't been exciting to me. I think that's what counts for recruits. The play calling has been suspect at best and we beat the teams we were supposed to beat.

I think it also helps other teams that they've been consistently good for longer than us. We are improving but things change every year

I'm a bit surprised. As "good" as our offense has been, it hasn't been exciting to me. I think that's what counts for recruits. The play calling has been suspect at best and we beat the teams we were supposed to beat.

I think it also helps other teams that they've been consistently good for longer than us. We are improving but things change every year

I don't know. Is there a sexy way to average 400+ yards a game?

We've had games we've run for 200 passed for 200. Games threw for 300 rushed for 150. Rushed for 250 thrown for 150.

400 yards is 400 yards. There arent style yards.

30+ points per game are 30+ points.

It's not like we are running the wishbone where I could understand people not being overly excited about watching 12 play 8 minute drives.

Just hope Maiava sticks around. He’s someone we can build a consistent winner around. By the time he moves on hopefully we’ve established solid foundation of winning, $$ coming in and positioned to be the next Power Conf invitee.

Yeah, I think if you're a incoming QB, you just watched the position get locked up for next 3 years... Maiava is a local kid, so it's not like he's just bolting to a big NIL offer.
I do agree that the play calling is a bit boring considering what we were told it'd look like. That's why I don't think Marion is going anywhere this off season... that said, I'd be oknwith whoever replaces him, Odom has a history of having really good QBs and OCs... Drew Lock had huge years under Odom.

I don't know. Is there a sexy way to average 400+ yards a game?

We've had games we've run for 200 passed for 200. Games threw for 300 rushed for 150. Rushed for 250 thrown for 150.

400 yards is 400 yards. There arent style yards.

30+ points per game are 30+ points.

It's not like we are running the wishbone where I could understand people not being overly excited about watching 12 play 8 minute drives.
There is a sexy way to average that many yards. See LSU, Washington, UNC, OU to name a few. Even Liberty.

There is a sexy way to average that many yards. See LSU, Washington, UNC, OU to name a few. Even Liberty.

What's sexy about it? 300 yards through the air is 300 yards?

Route trees? Route combos?

LSU's offense moves the ball and has an athletic QB that makes a lot of plays with his legs. You have to have that guy to do that.

He makes the offense sexy.

There's nothing overly innovative about that offense. Just a lot of highly skilled guys in it.

You also mentioned teams with guys in the Heisman race.

It's just as much about great individual/exciting making an offense exciting.

Texas A&M with Manziel. Were they an exciting offense? Or was it Manziel running around on broken plays making some amazing individual plays?

I don't find anything boring about this offense. It has unique formations. Has been efficient most of the year. Racks up yards on the stat sheet and has been pretty good at putting points on the board.

UNLV racked up 400 yards of offense against one of the better defenses in the conference. In spite of the suspect play calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Tripoda

Yeah, I agree. Even last night when we kept trying to run between the center and guard and getting nowhere the announcers said we need to get more creative.

LSU's offense moves the ball and has an athletic QB that makes a lot of plays with his legs. You have to have that guy to do that.

There's nothing overly innovative about that offense. Just a lot of highly skilled guys in it.

I don't find anything boring about this offense. It has unique formations. Has been efficient most of the year. Racks up yards on the stat sheet and has been pretty good at putting points on the board.
You think 300 yards is 300 yards and that's it? We take the whole game to get that much. Other offenses can get that in 15-20 plays and it's constant explosive plays.

Gordon saw what DTR did in Chip's offense and liked it. I won't mention heisman candidates, But UCF, UNT, and Texas State, just to name a few, have exciting offenses that let the QB do whatever they want.

I don't find this offense boring at all, but there's a lot left to be desired.but maybe that's just on Maiava for not having the same skill set as JRP, Rogers, or Finley.

A&M was still an exciting offense without Manziel doing all that magic. But he obvi did a lot on his own to make it exciting.

You think 300 yards is 300 yards and that's it? We take the whole game to get that much. Other offenses can get that in 15-20 plays and it's constant explosive plays.

Gordon saw what DTR did in Chip's offense and liked it. I won't mention heisman candidates, But UCF, UNT, and Texas State, just to name a few, have exciting offenses that let the QB do whatever they want.

I don't find this offense boring at all, but there's a lot left to be desired.but maybe that's just on Maiava for not having the same skill set as JRP, Rogers, or Finley.

A&M was still an exciting offense without Manziel doing all that magic. But he obvi did a lot on his own to make it exciting.

Ok I was confused. I thought you were saying you found the offense boring.

I mean all in all it's racking up yards. It has a fair amount of explosive plays. It's putting points on the board.

I get people grumbling about the runs up the middle. Ok not exactly esthetically pleasing. But it's designed to set up other things. To me is that anymore boring to watch vs an air raid type team throw 10-15 bubble screens to set up something deeper down field. I dont know.

I don't think the play calling has been all that suspect really. I mean honestly it's the #44 offense in the country and #26 in scoring offense..

It's not like we're watching Matt Canada's offense for the Steelers.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelinWA
I think what @lobbybuu is trying to say isnt that we arent boring per say, but for a QB thats sold one style to watch a different style play out on field and then have a different school come in and show how fluid they allow the QB to be is the difference...

That being said, I'm not sure how Chip's offense will work in the Big 10, especially in Late October/November weather.. imagine being a Texas kid living in LA having to fly across country to Iowa and play in a snowstorm on a Saturday night...

Last edited:
Reactions: lobbybuu
I think what @lobbybuu is trying to say isnt that we arent borong per say, but for a QB thats sold one style to watch a different style play out on field and then have a different school come in and show how fluid they allow the QB to be is the difference...

That being said, I'm not sure how Chip's offense will work in the Big 10, especially in Late October/November weather.. imagine being a Texas kid living in LA having to fly across country to Iowa and play in a snowstorm on a Saturday night...

That makes sense in terms of style of offense and what a recruit wants to play in.

Reactions: lobbybuu
I would imagine that we should be able to pick up some really good players in the portal. The staff has been here a full year and will have plenty of time to break down tape and focus on evaluating talent. Hopefully we fill these open positions with good recruits.

I would imagine that we should be able to pick up some really good players in the portal. The staff has been here a full year and will have plenty of time to break down tape and focus on evaluating talent. Hopefully we fill these open positions with good recruits.
This!

I think what @lobbybuu is trying to say isnt that we arent boring per say, but for a QB thats sold one style to watch a different style play out on field and then have a different school come in and show how fluid they allow the QB to be is the difference...

Exactly!

I actually think these kids will enjoy that, especially if they've lived in the same place all their lives. So you're telling me I can go to school to in Westwood, play for a Jordan sponsored program, have good weather, and travel to all these places and get to compete against Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State? And it's not a dime out of my pocket?! Count me in

I'm looking forward to how we perform in the portal this offseason. The QB I wanted Is probably not entering the portal but if he did, it would have been a pipe dream anyway

I'm looking forward to how we perform in the portal this offseason. The QB I wanted Is probably not entering the portal but if he did, it would have been a pipe dream anyway
Arch Manning might be available though...

Cracking Up Lol GIF

It's just as much about great individual/exciting making an offense exciting.

Texas A&M with Manziel. Were they an exciting offense? Or was it Manziel running around on broken plays making some amazing individual plays?

UNLV racked up 400 yards of offense against one of the better defenses in the conference. In spite of the suspect play calling.
I think we have been fun to watch on offense especially with White making plays. It isn’t Chip Kelly or loaded with exotic formations and tons of motion but it is more sustainable IMO.

I think we have been fun to watch on offense especially with White making plays. It isn’t Chip Kelly or loaded with exotic formations and tons of motion but it is more sustainable IMO.
That’s a word that was texted to me last night by a few fans. The team is fun to watch. The style is fun, the competitiveness is more fun.

This season has anything but a slog.

That’s a word that was texted to me last night by a few fans. The team is fun to watch. The style is fun, the competitiveness is more fun.

This season has anything but a slog.
It has been intense and heart stopping at times during the course of the game. I dont know how someone can criticise this team and their play? These guys, I mean the entire team from the players to the staff are intense. We have a RS Freshman running a team and still managed to win 6/8 games thus far. That is damn good for this league. 55 new players and brand new coaching staff. We are good, man!

Reactions: 220reb and unlove
It has been intense and heart stopping at times during the course of the game. I dont know how someone can criticise this team and their play? These guys, I mean the entire team from the players to the staff are intense. We have a RS Freshman running a team and still managed to win 6/8 games thus far. That is damn good for this league. 55 new players and brand new coaching staff. We are good, man!
I can see some light criticisms here and there, that’s the nature of fans sometimes.

But overall, nah.

You can say we “choked” the game away, being in such control and losing.

To me, choking involves losing composure and focus, not having mental toughness. This wasn’t choking.

This was some players just failing to make the right play, which happens in a 7-0 game and a 45-41 game on both sides of the ball. The team battled back and I’ll be damned, once again, they didn’t wilt, point fingers, get confused … they just fell a play or two short. And there is another team competing hard, you don’t get all the breaks. The Fresno safety making that saving tackle when it looked like we were going to get in the end zone (Davis). At the time, you figure we are going to punch it in and we are good to go, all the momentum. It was a huge game saving play as it turned out. They made a big play. They stood staunchly on the short yardage too. We can blame play calling … but they still stuffed us.

Where we lost is where Fresno didn’t make plays and we just coughed it up, it was our own doing. But it wasn’t choke.

Do you realize that in the first time in forever, in late November, early December, we are going to be more excited for football than basketball?

I’ve never felt better about the actual direction of UNLV football. This coaching staff is for real and it starts with the man at the top.

Reactions: 220reb and dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT