ADVERTISEMENT

Fertittas will bring in $30 million

WOW!!!
smokin.r191677.gif

I think the idea of hiring Sanchez is ridiculous, as he has never even been an assistant coach in college, let alone a Head Coach.

Having said that, IF the Fertitta family wants to donate $30 MILLION to UNLV, with the condition Sanchez be hired as HC, then I say HIRE SANCHEZ.

Who knows, it is just crazy enough to work, and pretty sure Sanchez could figure out a way to win 2 games a year at UNLV. Worst that happens is minimum of $30 MILLION donated to UNLV by Fertitta family, UNLV only wins 2-3 games per year under Sanchez, and then 3-5 years from now are in the market for a new HC.

Again, IF this twitter rumor is true, and the money only get's donated if Sanchez is hired, then hire him Monday.

Sanchez to UNLV is a crazy idea but if UNLV is to build a program that reflects its community, its really the only choice. UNLV will never be consistently competitive unless it develops a passion around the program and the community.
I really rooted for Hauck but I feel his lack of sustained success comes from a lack of commitment to Las Vegas and a greater commitment to his friend on the staff rather than UNLV football.
Sanford had a greater commitment to staff and developing a Christian based team than building ties to the Las Vegas community and he ultimately failed.
Sanchez has the California and Arizona ties needed to find talent. Even greater, he has the ties in the Las Vegas valley to build a team that has pride and can circle the wagons around UNLV football.
Its a radical idea but he has had NFL All-Pros coach with him at Gorman and he shows the attention to detail and excellent game management on the field. I'm interested in seeing what he can do as I can't think of another guy with the backing and ties to the community to turn this thing around. He inherits a talented team that is more detailed quarterback play and a few player from being a consistent bowl contender.

The RJ's Mark Anderson has been pretty active on twitter about the Fertittas buying out Hauck's contract and committing big money to the program. Now he says he spoke with Lorenzo Fertitta and was told Lorenzo hasn't been in contact with anyone at UNLV regarding committing money to UNLV. Mark also said the buyout hasn't been paid yet and that it's still being worked out.

Twitter

Rumors surfacing that the number is closer to 50 mil, that would be an unreal upgrade if they were to put anywhere from 15-20 mil to facilities that would give us the best by far in the mountain so picture 25-35...

According to Footballscoop.com yesterday -

"UNLV: Las Vegas Review-Journal columnist Ed Graney writes that Bishop Gorman HS head coach Tony Sanchez is the lead candidate. Sources tell us that Ed Orgeron should be a candidate and would be interested in hearing more about the commitment to the program. If anyone could breathe new life into the program it is Orgeron. We'll keep you posted as more becomes clear."

That kind of cash influx could easily enable a "UNLV Henderson Campus" to be established in the Silver Bowl area with ample training facilities. (The Silver Bowl lot borders on Henderson to the East and South - the Silver Bowl Park is in Henderson).

Why not add some athlete's dorms and workout rooms?

Enough classroom space could be established to offer summer classes and underclassmen fall courses, limiting the amount of shuttling to the main campus that would be needed. Offer (hourly?) express shuttle service between the SBC (Silver Bowl Campus) and the Maryland Pkwy campus. Parking would be no issue there, so between that and shuttle rides the general student population would have good access to the classes there.

What do you say? Who else has some creative (AND cost effective) suggestions for spending other people's money?

SilverBowl_zpsc7e781eb.jpg

Originally posted by LinemanHit:

According to Footballscoop.com yesterday -

"UNLV: Las Vegas Review-Journal columnist Ed Graney writes that Bishop Gorman HS head coach Tony Sanchez is the lead candidate. Sources tell us that Ed Orgeron should be a candidate and would be interested in hearing more about the commitment to the program. If anyone could breathe new life into the program it is Orgeron. We'll keep you posted as more becomes clear."
That would be ideal if we could get Orgeron with Sanchez as a Coach in waiting learning under him and getting $50mil + .....
smokin.r191677.gif

RE: (702Rebel Knight): " That would be ideal if we could get Orgeron with Sanchez as a Coach in waiting learning under him and getting $50mil + ....."

-- > Orgeron is only 53 years old, so having a "coach in waiting" under him might feel more like having a "guy waiting in the wings to take over whenever the win count doesn't meet expectations". Jim Fassel is 65, which is a more reasonable age for a HC to mentor his replacement.

Originally posted by BleedRebelRed90:
RE: (702Rebel Knight): " That would be ideal if we could get Orgeron with Sanchez as a Coach in waiting learning under him and getting $50mil + ....."

-- > Orgeron is only 53 years old, so having a "coach in waiting" under him might feel more like having a "guy waiting in the wings to take over whenever the win count doesn't meet expectations". Jim Fassel is 65, which is a more reasonable age for a HC to mentor his replacement.
I hear what you are saying but, I was thinking more along the lines of Orgeron being so successful that he gets hired away by a bigger program and in steps Sanchez keeping the financial backing from the Ferrtitas.

This post was edited on 12/1 10:17 PM by 702Rebel Knight

I love the coach and waiting idea for Sanchez that would be a perfect situation, I however I just get the feeling with Fertitas throwing out so much cash that they would want a lot of say in the program like who fills out the staff possible recruits etc... I doubt they get that unless Sanchez is the "top dog".

I'be heard that Orgeron is indeed interested in the job. Is he a consideration? He should be! Bring Sanchez in as an assistant if it will still get the money but Orgeron should be at least interviewed. He'll recruit the west and have at least a chance to compete for some of the better recruits.

I am just curious why everyone keeps talking about bringing him in as an assistant. As far as I know, it is always the head coach who picks his assistants not the school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT