ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Orientation

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
A few weeks ago, an NFL team (the Bucs, I believe) got some heat for providing materials to educate female fans about the game. It definitely came off as alienating and patronizing, regardless of the team's intent.

I feel, however, that UNLV would do well to educate its fans (a flyer?) about how to be good football fans. Before you dismiss the idea, if you have been to any UNLV football games, you should know what I am talking about. While the crowds are usually small, even with a bigger crowd, we (as a group) don't do a good job impacting the game.

Honestly, I think that having a successful bball program has given fans bad habits. In a bball game, fans know to get quiet when the Rebs shoot a free throw, and get loud/distracting when the opponent is shooting. There is also a general effort to be loud when we are on defense, especially late in the shot clock. But we can also be loud when we have the ball. There is nothing wrong with a sustained "RE-BELS" chant going when we've got the ball. It's just different. Noise can make the opponent struggle whether they are on offense or defense.

But football cheering is different, and can appear daunting at first. Games usually last 3-3.5 hours, and to think that you need to scream your lungs out for this long seems impossible. So let's break it down for the fans; here is what we need:

When the Rebs have the ball: Relax. Just watch. Don't cheer. If the team makes a nice play, gets a first down, or a touchdown, show them some love. If a big play is coming up (3rd down, near the goal line, etc.) don't get all excited and start cheering. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, and it is extremely frustrating. Just keep watching and cheer once the play is over. We want it as quiet as possible before a big play so the offense can communicate. When we score, stand and sing the fight song, and enjoy the moment.

When SJSU has the ball: Cheer for the defense as they take the field, go ahead and keep cheering while SJSU runs the play on first down. On second down, cheer if you'd like, but don't kill yourself. However, once second down is over, and SJSU is facing a 3rd down, GO CRAZY. Don't wait for SJSU to get players to the line of scrimmage. As soon as 2nd down is over, be loud for the entire 40 seconds leading up to 3rd down. This is the most important thing you will do all game. If Rebs get a stop on 3rd down, show the defense your support as they come off the field. But if SJSU decides to go for it on 4th down, GET EVEN LOUDER THAN 3RD DOWN. Let them hear us all the way in Summerlin and make it impossible for SJSU to hear themselves think or talk as they go for it on 4th down. IT'S ALL ABOUT 3RD AND 4TH DOWN DEFENSE!

During timeouts: Rest. Just relax. And let's get some help from the crowd pump-up guy here. Don't ask fans to cheer and get loud during a timeout. It's pointless and it exhausts cheering resources that are better reserved for times that matter.

That's it. Have fun, enjoy the game, and make an impact.

Great Post. Hit the nail on the head.

Also feel free to encourage those around you to be loud (at the appropriate times) and be a part of the game/experience. Drives me nuts that people just sit on their hands during the game. Creating a legit home-field advantage for this team should be priority #1 this Saturday.

A few weeks ago, an NFL team (the Bucs, I believe) got some heat for providing materials to educate female fans about the game. It definitely came off as alienating and patronizing, regardless of the team's intent.

I feel, however, that UNLV would do well to educate its fans (a flyer?) about how to be good football fans. Before you dismiss the idea, if you have been to any UNLV football games, you should know what I am talking about. While the crowds are usually small, even with a bigger crowd, we (as a group) don't do a good job impacting the game.

Honestly, I think that having a successful bball program has given fans bad habits. In a bball game, fans know to get quiet when the Rebs shoot a free throw, and get loud/distracting when the opponent is shooting. There is also a general effort to be loud when we are on defense, especially late in the shot clock. But we can also be loud when we have the ball. There is nothing wrong with a sustained "RE-BELS" chant going when we've got the ball. It's just different. Noise can make the opponent struggle whether they are on offense or defense.

But football cheering is different, and can appear daunting at first. Games usually last 3-3.5 hours, and to think that you need to scream your lungs out for this long seems impossible. So let's break it down for the fans; here is what we need:

When the Rebs have the ball: Relax. Just watch. Don't cheer. If the team makes a nice play, gets a first down, or a touchdown, show them some love. If a big play is coming up (3rd down, near the goal line, etc.) don't get all excited and start cheering. THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, and it is extremely frustrating. Just keep watching and cheer once the play is over. We want it as quiet as possible before a big play so the offense can communicate. When we score, stand and sing the fight song, and enjoy the moment.

When SJSU has the ball: Cheer for the defense as they take the field, go ahead and keep cheering while SJSU runs the play on first down. On second down, cheer if you'd like, but don't kill yourself. However, once second down is over, and SJSU is facing a 3rd down, GO CRAZY. Don't wait for SJSU to get players to the line of scrimmage. As soon as 2nd down is over, be loud for the entire 40 seconds leading up to 3rd down. This is the most important thing you will do all game. If Rebs get a stop on 3rd down, show the defense your support as they come off the field. But if SJSU decides to go for it on 4th down, GET EVEN LOUDER THAN 3RD DOWN. Let them hear us all the way in Summerlin and make it impossible for SJSU to hear themselves think or talk as they go for it on 4th down. IT'S ALL ABOUT 3RD AND 4TH DOWN DEFENSE!

During timeouts: Rest. Just relax. And let's get some help from the crowd pump-up guy here. Don't ask fans to cheer and get loud during a timeout. It's pointless and it exhausts cheering resources that are better reserved for times that matter.

That's it. Have fun, enjoy the game, and make an impact.
Rebelbuck and I talk about this at every game. Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT