ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Power Index

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
According to ESPN Power Index predictions they have us at a 4-8 record for the season as of now (8/23/17). ... USU is almost 50/50 so it could be looked at as a possible 3-9 record.
I wanted to take a look at this now and watch how it changes as the season moves along. I plan to revisit these before each game and compare.
The great thing about this game... no matter what sideline you are on... you need to step on the field and play. I don't care if we are predicted like we are against Howard or OSU - you need to play the game. Can't wait for the season to start.

% prediction of W
  • HOW 1.2% @ UNLV 98.8%
  • UNLV 47.4% @ IDHO 52.6%
  • UNLV 0.5% @ OSU 99.5%
  • SJSU 40.4% @ UNLV 59.6%
  • SDSU 75.3% @ UNLV 24.7%
  • UNLV 32.3% @ AFA 67.7%
  • USU 49.8% @ UNLV 50.2%
  • UNLV 41.7% @ FRES 58.3%
  • HAW 34.9% @ UNLV 65.1%
  • BYU 84.5% @ UNLV 15.5%
  • UNLV 35.2% @ UNM 64.8%
  • UNLV 41.4% @ reno 58.6%

Last edited:
Somewhat stunning to me, given the breakdown of the media poll and and where I personally expected things to fall before media poll. When I look at games like AFA, UNR, UNM, USU, SJSU, and Haw... I just don't see any of those being worse odds for us than toss-up and "game day" (who shows up on game day) odds. SDSU I see more like 65-35 or 60-40 SDSU, same for BYU, may 70-30. Idaho I look at as closer to 75-25 UNLV... Won't see me argue with Howard and tOSU, though.

Just me? I like your thought here, though. See how these change as the season rolls. Would love to see this posted weekly!

According to ESPN Power Index predictions they have us at a 4-8 record for the season as of now (8/23/17). ... USU is almost 50/50 so it could be looked at as a possible 3-9 record.
I wanted to take a look at this now and watch how it changes as the season moves along. I plan to revisit these before each game and compare.
The great thing about this game... no matter what sideline you are on... you need to step on the field and play. I don't care if we are predicted like we are against Howard or OSU - you need to play the game. Can't wait for the season to start.

% prediction of W
  • HOW 1.2% @ UNLV 98.8%
  • UNLV 47.4% @ IDHO 52.6%
  • UNLV 0.5% @ OSU 99.5%
  • SJSU 40.4% @ UNLV 59.6%
  • SDSU 75.3% @ UNLV 24.7%
  • UNLV 32.3% @ AFA 67.7%
  • USU 49.8% @ UNLV 50.2%
  • UNLV 41.7% @ FRES 58.3%
  • HAW 34.9% @ UNLV 65.1%
  • BYU 84.5% @ UNLV 15.5%
  • UNLV 35.2% @ UNM 64.8%
  • UNLV 41.4% @ reno 58.6%
According to this, one "close" game and we will smother the predicted division champ.

I don't get being such an underdog, or being an underdog at all against Fresno. UNM seems to be a bit off too. I know they are improved, but I would call that a realtive toss up game.

On the other side, I would say Hawai'I should be closer odds. They've been much better too, and those games are always close.

I don't get being such an underdog, or being an underdog at all against Fresno. UNM seems to be a bit off too. I know they are improved, but I would call that a realtive toss up game.

On the other side, I would say Hawai'I should be closer odds. They've been much better too, and those games are always close.
The whole Hawaii thing - I mean, yes, every team is different, every season is different. But the gap between them on the islands and the mainland has always been huge. Until I see them do something about it semi-regular, I'll keep thinking it to be the case.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I would guess that this uses last years data and doesn't take into account new and healthy faces. Still, if USU is the coin flipper and we win instead of lose, then UNLV is 5-7 and not 4-8. Your not bowl worthy, but you are one more game better than last year.

Somewhat stunning to me, given the breakdown of the media poll .... See how these change as the season rolls. Would love to see this posted weekly!

It surprised me too considering the media poll... I think it will be interesting to look at each week and I'll be posting it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT