ADVERTISEMENT

Down the stretch was putrid. Random thoughts.

Vegas34

Retired Number
May 29, 2001
Henderson, NV
Asking people around me "what the F are we doing with this weave" the response was "I guess to shorten the game". Why? This is supposed to a high octane offense (why Otz was successful and was hired here) and in the last 5 minutes of reg and 5 minutes of OT the guys were completely lost. Ball movement? Stretch the floor? Where was Jonah? He demands at least 1 defender at all times, which nobody else does without the ball 25 feet from the basket. We ran a F-ing weave 40 feet from the basket and their defenders didn't even have to move. This game was just about in-hand, but Otz was out-coached badly down the stretch. BADLY. And I like the guy and am glad he's the HC. It's like the game plan was tossed out the window and we went to hero ball, isolations, and a lot of confused looks on our faces.

Tillman was awful. He had more TO's than point an rebounds COMBINED. His talent is not in the hemisphere of what he and his people think. Only got 16 minutes, and didn't deserve those. Seems very selfish, not a good shooter, and consistently forces it into 2-3 defenders. NBA? So far he wouldn't be my first pick at Sunset Park pickup game.

Hardy's scoring and KSU missing 5,000 open looks is the only reason this game wasn't a blowout. Him taking it to the basket reminds me so much of Wink. If he can shoot the 3, he's almost impossible to guard in the MWC. His 27 points were huge, but so were his 6 TO's.

Jonah was off, just a bit though as many went in and out, but more guys need to take the 3 when they are open. I don't know if Otz has the red light on some unless they have 10 feet of open space, but for this offense to work you have to take shots. Jonah will be fine, but he needs to mix in a shot fake and drive or he's too easy to guard out there camped. Jonah only had 3 boards but it always in the mix.

Missed FT's killed us late, there shouldn't have been an overtime.

25 turnovers to 7 assists? Really?

MBlocke is simply impressive on the glass, it's fun to watch. His timing and hands are so much better. He HAS to simply take it strong and try to dunk 2 guys into the rim. All the finesse shot fakes and hesitation are killing him down low. Just thrust straight up with it and try to punish the rim man.

I was bragging on Long to Joey, then he started turning the ball over. He's vital to this team and 5 turnovers to 2 assists clearly won't cut it. He also needs to shoot the open jumper with confidence.

Hamilton has the ability to be a very good scorer if it ever "clicks" for him at some point.

Nick Blair is a very good on-ball defender, his effort and rebounding was impressive. 10 boards. Many more games like this and he'll be should start over Tillman.

Check isn't a good basketball player, but his post defense on a few possessions was excellent. Great effort, positioning, and strength.

Hats off to the families that donated $5M to the basketball program!

I am amazed how far our D is ahead of our O. Minus some blown coverage late for layups and dunks the D was pretty darn good. We do need to close out on shooters much much better. The 3 in the corner that killed us Long just stopped running at the guy and the shot clock was at 2.

K-State can flat out defend. Weber can coach even though it's Huggybear ugly. Basketball is not fun to watch at this pace. All is not lost with this L but it's tough to swallow when we clearly could have won the game. Sandler handled Otz with kid gloves in the post game interview, shocker right? The Mack was loud and fun considering the small crowd, and I actually enjoyed being there vs. the Mahhhrv Era. Overall I loved our effort, especially on the defensive end and I'm being too hard on Otz after a loss to the Big 12 defending champs...but there needs to be significant adjustments made heading into Cali.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News