ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing trend...

BleedRebelRed90

All American
Oct 10, 2013
NOTE: I posted this earlier on another forum, and just updated it. So I'm not stealing it, just venting here also...

How is it that UNLV can stay respectable against teams like USC, Michigan and Northwestern (at least in first halves) yet get completely annihilated by the likes of Arkansas St, New Mexico, and San Jose St?

Simple facts... look at these four Tony Sanchez wins:
  • 2018 34-29 over UNR's Jay Norvell (8-5)
  • 2018 27-24 over SDSU's Rocky Long (7-6)
  • 2017 31-23 over Hawaii's Nick Rolovich (3-9)
  • 2016 69-66 over Wyoming's Craig Bohl (8-6)
Those are CTS's only four wins against coaches who were not facing him for the first time. With two of those being at the end of last season, I thought that maybe it wasn't a trend that he does much better against coaches that haven't learned his teams' tendencies, but seeing Arkansas State's Blake Anderson have all the right answers last week, then the Northwestern coach not have all the right answers (at least in the first quarter) seems to support the theory.

And it's not just wins and losses. It's overall performance. There are blowout losses but the wins (see above) are all close games.

The rest of CTS's wins are against:
  • Southern Utah
  • UTEP (Dana Dimel was 1-11 that season)
  • Prarie View A&M
  • UNM (first time facing Bob Davie, who was 3-9 that season; second matchup Davie won 50-14)
  • Fresno (first time facing Tedford; second matchup Tedford won 48-3)
  • SJSU (first time facing Brennen, who was 2-11 that '17 season; second matchup in 2018 UNLV scored a late TD to make the score a more competitive-looking 50-37 loss, but SJSU completely dominated that game other than freshman Tyleek Collins' 4 TD receptions including a 75 yard TD and a 46 yard TD. Brennen was 0-11 against the rest of the teams he faced that '18 season, including to UC-Davis and losses by 31, 13, 12, 49, 13, 15, 38, and 18 points)
  • Idaho
  • Hawaii (first time facing Rolovich)
  • Fresno (DeRuyter, who was 1-7 that season and was fired in mid-October)
  • Jackson State
  • Hawaii (Chris Naeole the week he was named interim coach after Chow was fired mid season, and this was during a 9-game losing streak by Hawaii. Naeole had been OL coach and was in only the third year of what ended up being a total of less than five years in the coaching profession, with four games as the interim head coach that '15 season then back to OL coach and leaving the team 5 games into the '17 season)
  • Idaho State
  • UNR (first time facing Polian; Polian blew out the Rebels 45-10 the second time he faced Sanchez - but was still fired after the game)
Unfortunately, except for Vanderbilt the remaining UNLV games are all against coaches who have faced Sanchez before (Bohl, Bobo, and Harsin from the MWC-Mountain this year).

Last edited:
NOTE: I posted this earlier on another forum, and just updated it. So I'm not stealing it, just venting here also...

How is it that UNLV can stay respectable against teams like USC, Michigan and Northwestern yet get completely annihilated by the likes of Arkansas St, New Mexico, and San Jose St?

Those are CTS's only four wins against coaches who were not facing him for the first time. With two of those being at the end of last season, I thought that maybe it wasn't a trend that he does much better against coaches that haven't learned his teams' tendencies, but seeing Arkansas State's Blake Anderson have all the right answers last week, then the Northwestern coach not have all the right answers (at least in the first quarter) seems to support the theory.

And it's not just wins and losses. It's overall performance. There are blowout losses but the wins (see above) are all close games.

• Southern Utah
  • Prarie View A&M
  • UNM (first time facing Bob Davie, who was 3-9 that season; second matchup Davie won 50-14)
  • SJSU (first time facing Brennen, who was 2-11 that season; second matchup UNLV scored a late TD to make the score a more competitive looking 50-37, but SJSU completely dominated that game other than freshman Tyleek Collins' 4 TD receptions including a 75 yard TD and a 46 yard TD)
  • Idaho
  • Jackson State
  • Hawaii (Chris Naeole the week he was named interim coach after Chow was fired mid season, and this was during a 9-game losing streak by Hawaii)
  • Idaho
  • UNR (first time facing Polian; Polian blew out the Rebels 45-10 the second time he faced Sanchez - but was still fired after the game)
Unfortunately, except for Vanderbilt the remaining UNLV games are all against coaches who have faced Sanchez before (Bohl, Bobo, and Harsin from the MWC-Mountain this year).

Interesting info..

How is it that UNLV can stay respectable against teams like USC, Michigan and Northwestern (at least in first halves) yet get completely annihilated by the likes of Arkansas St, New Mexico, and San Jose St?

• Southern Utah
  • Prarie View A&M
  • SJSU (first time facing Brennen, who was 2-11 that '17 season; second matchup in 2018 UNLV scored a late TD to make the score a more competitive-looking 50-37 loss, but SJSU completely dominated that game other than freshman Tyleek Collins' 4 TD receptions including a 75 yard TD and a 46 yard TD. Brennen was 0-11 against the rest of the teams he faced that '18 season, including to UC-Davis and losses by 31, 13, 12, 49, 13, 15, 38, and 18 points)
  • Idaho
  • Jackson State
  • Hawaii (Chris Naeole the week he was named interim coach after Chow was fired mid season, and this was during a 9-game losing streak by Hawaii. Naeole had been OL coach and was in only the third year of what ended up being a total of less than five years in the coaching profession, with four games as a head coach in '15 and leaving the team 5 games into the '17 season)
  • Idaho

This info should have way more traction..

I have also noticed a trend. There have been numerous games where UNLV was doing OK at the half, then after half time adjustments, the other team dominates in the second half. In the second half of this last game it looked like they had completely figured out our offense and made the correct adjustments to their offense to win.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have also noticed a trend. There have been numerous games where UNLV was doing OK at the half, then after half time adjustments, the other team dominates in the second half. In the second half of this last game it looked like they had completely figured out our offense and made the correct adjustments to their offense to win.

Those SDSU and UNR games at the end of last season were kind of a bit of (false?) hope that the halftime adjustments could work in our favor. But there are just too few "exceptions" like those to the overall trend.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Sanchez comes in with plan A every game. Once plan A is extinguish. He refuses to make adjustments which then kills the offense. The D is on the field so many times they have no course but to give up. Year in Year out!!!!

I can't count how many games have been within 7-10 points heading into halftime only to turn into blowouts in the second half..

Those SDSU and UNR games at the end of last season were kind of a bit of (false?) hope that the halftime adjustments could work in our favor. But there are just too few "exceptions" like those to the overall trend.

That was a pretty limited SDSU offense last year. They had played a number of 1 score games during the season. They were primed for an upset loss..

The win was nice. Not complaining. But I think it looked like the defense was turning it around when in reality they were just facing an offense that couldn't get out of their own way...

The Reno game was one 1st half score away from the Rebs getting run out of their own stadium.

Defense came up with timely turnovers. But they still gave up a ton of yards.

Looking back..Feels like some fools gold..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT