ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Plans for BYU?

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
It's no secret that their offense is struggling... that made me wonder... since Mangum is out at QB and Hoge, who will probably start, isn't healthy, what do you want to see from the Rebs defense? Personally, I want to see a few different looks early to confuse a less experienced QB. Through in a couple blitzes in from sides and from different packages so he can't get a good grasp of the plan, make him watch the pressure instead of watching his targets.

If the QB doesn't perform very well, I frankly don't see how BYU can move the ball. Their running game is non existent. Pressure, hurry, hit, and sack whoever their QB is. If you get burned you get burned, make the adjustments and dial back some, but stick to it for a few drives if you aren't giving up 30+ yards per play on the back end.

Reactions: dcut03
It's no secret that their offense is struggling... that made me wonder... since Mangum is out at QB and Hoge, who will probably start, isn't healthy, what do you want to see from the Rebs defense? Personally, I want to see a few different looks early to confuse a less experienced QB. Through in a couple blitzes in from sides and from different packages so he can't get a good grasp of the plan, make him watch the pressure instead of watching his targets.

If the QB doesn't perform very well, I frankly don't see how BYU can move the ball. Their running game is non existent. Pressure, hurry, hit, and sack whoever their QB is. If you get burned you get burned, make the adjustments and dial back some, but stick to it for a few drives if you aren't giving up 30+ yards per play on the back end.

Totally agree, but have we seen an aggressive defensive gameplan since Baer has been here?

Totally agree, but have we seen an aggressive defensive gameplan since Baer has been here?
I don't know if we have had a great opportunity to do it for a full game to this point. This is one of those situations where, unless they know stuff about BYU's second/third/fourth QB on depth chart that I don't (...they should...) the only way that makes sense to me is to rattle their QB until he can't focus. I think we see an aggressive Baer this week, unless i burns them early, then they back off

The best defense against BYU would be a fast/no huddle offense.
I agree with Joe. Long drives keep the ball out of their hands and also allows a BYU offense who is very injured less time to get into a rhythm.

They will drop 7 blockers and put three out on routes most of the game to protect Hoge. Blitzing a lot for the sake of adding pressure will tire out our secondary and only put our DBs in bad situations in 1-1 coverage. They use their TE a lot in routes underneath. Cover 2 with a LB sitting back and forcing them to throw it underneath is probably the best way to go. We won't have to load the box to stop their running game. They have a walkon as their feature back. He's strong but has no patience and misses holes a lot.

Hoge CAN be mobile on the read option. He was concussed a month ago but it's his ankle that bothers him now. I'm not so sure how healthy it is. It will be easy to tell how healthy it is and how much trust they have in Hoge's legs by the play calling. If they start out with the read option we will know his legs are healthy enough. I think the coaches are overstating his injury to throw UNLV off. I think he's fine. He's simply a subpar QB and the coaches are blaming it on his ankle.

I think the Hawaii and BYU offenses are pretty similar. I think it was a perfect game to have the week before. There might be some more wrinkles but the game plans should be quite similar.

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT