ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Seems to be Maturing

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
I was pleased with how the defense stood their ground last night time and again, despite getting placed in demoralizing situations all game long. They attacked and tackled well. To me they looked stronger overall than what they've been in past years. The total points scored by UCLA does not accurately reflect how well the defense played. That side of the ball took another step forward and if they can keep developing in the right direction I see good things ahead.

The scary part is the defense is only going to get better. If we can keep them off the field for more than 7/8ths of the game, they can be great. There is a lot more fight than there ever has been. The two interceptions late in the game helps me believe that the defense didn't quit.

I really like watching #21 Mouton. Plays a lot of snaps at the nickel and made some nice plays. As his game matures and he gains some strength, he has a chance to be a very solid player the next few years.

Overall the D gave up 10 points at half. In the 2nd half they kept playing hard and outside of the long run really made UCLA earn everything they got. Even late in the game they were still flying around and laying some solid hits. Just too tall a task with the offense not sustaining any drives and giving them a short field a few times.

#44 hits like a truck. Love the fact that the team never quit last night and played hard til the end.

A big difference between this year & last, it seems like way fewer mental lapses and communication issues. Guys are in place to make plays.

I am pretty happy so far with what I have seen. As long as we don't get hit with to many injuries, I think this defense could be pretty solid and possibly be the strength of the team by season end.

Since I could only listen to the broadcast, how did the D line look? I remember hearing Tuli's name on an ankle tackle and Salanoa chasing down a rb, but thats it.

Since I could only listen to the broadcast, how did the D line look? I remember hearing Tuli's name on an ankle tackle and Salanoa chasing down a rb, but thats it.
They struggled to generate a pass rush, but were really stout early on vs the run, especially in short yardage situations. They did not look physically overmatched until late in the game. As they got worn down technique started to suffer and that was when UCLA stated to get some chunks in the run game.

Unsportsmanlike or a illegal block? Couldnt hear the ref's calls most the night?

It was nice to see them cause 3 turnovers and keep playing hard for the entire game. The status of Lotulelei will be important this week as well. I know he left last week early. Myles also didnt get a lot of snaps either.

Defense is improving 2 picks in 2nd half. My only concern is stop with unsportsmanlike conduct that cost us 1 score
I'm not going to say it was the wrong call, but it was a WEAK unnecessary roughness penalty. Mouton hit a lineman on his side as the lineman was running behind the play. The guy didn't even fall; just went down to a knee. Not a violent block like you sometimes see in those situations, and the size difference b/w Mouton and O-lineman made the penalty laughable IMO. Still, bad decision by Mouton, but it seemed like he realized before the hit that he shouldn't do it and eased up.

I agree, the unnecessary roughness penalty was really weak. The muffed punt return awarded right back to UCLA, and the huge PI no-call when UNLV was knocking on the door to score in the 1st quarter were both head-scratchers early in the game. Sanchez was rightfully pissed on both occasions.

I agree, the unnecessary roughness penalty was really weak. The muffed punt return awarded right back to UCLA, and the huge PI no-call when UNLV was knocking on the door to score in the 1st quarter were both head-scratchers early in the game. Sanchez was rightfully pissed on both occasions.

Very curious calls with a line of UCLA -32..... just saying.

Regardless, if Decker didn't get hurt, that line wouldn't have stood a chance IMO.

Defense continues to make huge plays. Can't watch this clip enough times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT