ADVERTISEMENT

Decker's fragility

UNLVFansincebirth22

Lottery Pick
Jul 24, 2008
Las Vegas
I initially said this as a response to PT's comment in another thread, but I thought it deserved a thread to itself...

I can't recall a more fragile QB in recent UNLV history. 2 straight times this season he's gone down with an injury on plays where there was little to no contact.

I'm convinced that a stiff wind could possibly injure him at this point...

Decker is tough. He'll be ready by Saturday and SJSU. This is the game I felt we need to win to have a chance at winning the Western Division. If even I felt that way, our coaches already knew it a long time ago. Thanks goodness we dont have to play USU and their defense this year! SJSU is the best team we will play in the Western Division this year. A very tough game for the Rebels.

I initially said this as a response to PT's comment in another thread, but I thought it deserved a thread to itself...

I can't recall a more fragile QB in recent UNLV history. 2 straight times this season he's gone down with an injury on plays where there was little to no contact.

I'm convinced that a stiff wind could possibly injure him at this point...
Guys pull hamstrings, turn ankles etc all the time. He fell on his shoulder awkwardly in this game. It happens. Decker took an absolute beating last year and I was surprised he didn't miss more time than he did. We won't know until Monday or Tuesday for sure, but he may not miss this game. As for fragile QBs Rocky Hinds comes to mind.

Guys pull hamstrings, turn ankles etc all the time. He fell on his shoulder awkwardly in this game. It happens. Decker took an absolute beating last year and I was surprised he didn't miss more time than he did. We won't know until Monday or Tuesday for sure, but he may not miss this game. As for fragile QBs Rocky Hinds comes to mind.

And the hamstring injury in the UCLA game where he took no contact at all?? Like I said, he's fragile. It would be tough to contend that point. Its not an indightment on him as a Rebel...it just is what it is.

And the hamstring injury in the UCLA game where he took no contact at all?? Like I said, he's fragile. It would be tough to contend that point. Its not an indightment on him as a Rebel...it just is what it is.
I don't agree with that, countless guys pull up lame without contact. How many times did you hear about NFL guys being lost for the season in non contact drills. Like I said Decker took an absolute beating last year and didn't miss a ton of time.

If he starts this weekend it would be hard to say he is fragile since he hasn't missed a start yet.

I might be mistaking your use of the word fragile as him being soft, which he definitely isn't.

Yes, you are mistaking my use of the word "fragile". The fact that he may play with a tough heart is mutually exclusive of my point about him being physically fragile.
If he doesnt miss a start how is he fragile? Now if he goes down this game and then misses a start I would agree with you. Plus injuries are just as much about luck or bad luck as anything else.

Dude...he gets injured easily, ergo, hes FRAGILE. He doesnt have to "miss a start" to be considered fragile. If he's coming out of games, for a prolonged amount of time AT ANY POINT because of INJURY, it affects our chances of winning...

Not sure if you're arguing just to argue or what.

He got hurt on two freak plays.Last year he took a beating and barely missed time. If it continues this way then yeah I would totally agree with you. But personally I just think its early to label him fragile or injury prone. Not saying you are wrong. Not arguing to argue either. Just don't agree with labeling him fragile at this juncture. If he misses another half or an entire game or games due to injury I am totally on board with your take. Like I mentioned before the shots he took last year could easily have caused him to miss a lot more time than he did. Maybe his body is breaking down after last year who knows. Hopefully your wrong and he stays healthy as he gives us a better chance to win.

Last edited:
I think the fact that he hasn't missed a start means that the coaching staff is being cautious with him. If he stays on the ground in pain, then get Kurt in there. No need to make Blake hobble out there if you don't have to. He will still take reps in practice and the SJSU coaching staff will have to prepare for both QBs. Pretty smart move if you ask me. Fragile, I don't think so. Like Bullmastiff says, he got the sh*t kicked out of him last year. Did Sherry see any snaps? Nope.

I like decker! Tough kid, decent arm and can run. Sherry was the better thrower, staff took his confidence away. He had a cannon. Not as athletic as decker. Decker ran out of pocket much more than he had too and held ball too long which contributed to his hits. He's smarter this year getting rid of it quicker and not running just to run. Obviously coached up much better. O line last year actually better but this line coached up much better and schemed correctly . Sanchez is a football god!
I think the fact that he hasn't missed a start means that the coaching staff is being cautious with him. If he stays on the ground in pain, then get Kurt in there. No need to make Blake hobble out there if you don't have to. He will still take reps in practice and the SJSU coaching staff will have to prepare for both QBs. Pretty smart move if you ask me. Fragile, I don't think so. Like Bullmastiff says, he got the sh*t kicked out of him last year. Did Sherry see any snaps? Nope.
decker

Fragile. Absolutely not. Injury prone. Yes. But to Deckers defense, last year game did not have enough protection and got hammered all season.

This year with a hammy pull is just typical football non-contact injury. Happens a lot. The shoulder was because Decker doesn't hold back when running the ball. Instead of sliding he goes full steam. That's not my definition of fragile. If anything he's the opposite. He took a hard fall on his shoulder and anyone would have likely come up injured as well.

Not many QBs could have survived the pounding Decker took last season but he endured and played basically the full season. He's not fragile. Injuries can happen to anyone at any time. He hasn't missed a start yet this season and demonstrates toughness.

To be honest, I thought Decker's injury was an accumulation of 3-4 previous plays. He took some hits.

Bump. We NEED a healthy Decker. His plague of injuries culminated into a loss for the Rebs tonight. If Decker's healthy for the SJSU game tonight, we win easily.

Decker gets hit a lot. We need the O line to step up and protect him. At this stage, I m afraid that Palandech will get hurt too. He got hit a lot today as well.

I know I could take the hits Decker has. No way I would ever pull a hamstring or have my shoulder get dislocated. Decker is so soft, he should take up knitting. Seriously any one of us on this forum could easily stand up to the hits he has taken. I've never had a cold much less gotten an injury. I got hit by a car once, and not a scratch.

I know I could take the hits Decker has. No way I would ever pull a hamstring or have my shoulder get dislocated. Decker is so soft, he should take up knitting. Seriously any one of us on this forum could easily stand up to the hits he has taken. I've never had a cold much less a got injured. I got hit by a car once, and not a scratch.

I see that. I see what you did there. Very clever. You're extremely witty.

Well when you say things like 'how ridiculous' it is that a guy gets hurt in a sport like football it makes you appear foolish.

Now if you want to say we need Decker healthy to win games. I am in. If you say without Decker we are in trouble. I am in. If you say 'not sure we can win another game this year if Palandech is our QB' I might agree with you. But saying how 'ridiculous' that a guy got hurt is asinine.

Him getting hurt is not ridiculous, it is part of the game, it happens.. He has a dislocated shoulder not a hang nail.

Last edited:
Well when you say things like 'how ridiculous' it is that a guy gets hurt in a sport like football it makes you appear foolish.

Now if you want to say we need Decker healthy to win games. I am in. If you say without Decker we are in trouble. I am in. If you say 'not sure we can win another game this year if Palandech is our QB' I might agree with you. But saying how 'ridiculous' that a guy got hurt is asinine.

Him getting hurt is not ridiculous, it is part of the game, it happens.. He has a dislocated shoulder not a hang nail.

Decker is prone to injury. Thats a fact. You and I have been over this. Goodnight.

Hello, friend. Hope all is well with you.

Funny how we haven't spoken in quite some time and still think on same wavelength with regard to UNLV sports.

My theory on Decker: He over-bulked in the off season and how he got so big so fast raises questions for me. He had a lanky build last season, and now he's got the frame of a linebacker. He's top-heavy; his body doesn't appear proportioned. I believe the root of his injuries are the result of this and it has cost the team.

He went untouched on both plays; the second he was breaking is own fall.

Reactions: UNLVFansincebirth22
They gave you a badge, eh bcvegas? Good for you...I've been away a long time.

Note the word "theory" behind the statement, and I think I wrote it devoid of implications. Conversely, if you deem it unacceptable, I will edit the post.

Ready for hoops and more football. Sanchez has me paying way more attention to football season than Hauck did 4/5 years.

(While I watched every game of Hauck's tenure, unless I was out of the country, I could see from Europe that the players were quitting on the guy)

Reactions: RebelinWA
All I could think about when he went down was "damn- that thread is gonna get a bump, and deservedly so." He wasn't really hit that hard and that's the first real hit he took today! WTF! He was grooving, too.

The injury looked legit to me but he always has a "legit" injury.

It really is comically ridiculous with this dude. At this point, he HAS to be the most often-injured QB we've had in like the last 20 years.

And I dont doubt that ALL of his injuries are legitimate. Its that he's legitimately FRAGILE. Like he's made of glass.

I already posted in another thread, at this point he pretty much has to wear the injury prone label.

I thought the term fragile made him sound soft or it questions his toughness. That was my issue with it. Once you explained you meant injury prone I was pretty much on board the following week when he was hurt again.

Sometimes luck plays a role in injuries. In which case Decker is the most unlucky dude to wear a UNLV uniform.

He is the Derek Rose of college football, unfortunately for him no million dollar shoe deal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT