ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread CSU/UNLV

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
They average giving up 35 points to each opponent. I think we win by 10 in a very high scoring game.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
CSU - infinity
UNLV - infinity + 1
iu

• Haha
Reactions: reagan21
CSU is #2 in YPG passing in the country. UNLV is 124th in passing yards allowed. UNLV is #9 in the country in YPG rushing, and CSU is 98th ranked rushing yards allowed defense. We are very closely ranked on special teams. The big difference for me is CSU is averaging a national worst 2.8 turnovers a game, where we're averaging 0.8 which is tied for the 15th best. I feel like that sort of thing plus homefield advantage ought to be enough to at least get the W if not the cover.

But...

Because nobody else is going to be a Debbie Downer, I'll be the first to poop in the punchbowl.

UNLV - 55
CSU - 57

Double Overtime.

CSU is #2 in YPG passing in the country. UNLV is 124th in passing yards allowed. UNLV is #9 in the country in YPG rushing, and CSU is 98th ranked rushing yards allowed defense. We are very closely ranked on special teams. The big difference for me is CSU is averaging a national worst 2.8 turnovers a game, where we're averaging 0.8 which is tied for the 15th best. I feel like that sort of thing plus homefield advantage ought to be enough to at least get the W if not the cover.

But...

Because nobody else is going to be a Debbie Downer, I'll be the first to poop in the punchbowl.

UNLV - 55
CSU - 57

Double Overtime.
One thing I like in a scenario like this is the OT shortened field benefits our lackluster defensive secondary.

Likewise, our RB depth would likely benefit us in a game going to OT.

If we go to OT I think I'll feel okay about the result once we're there. 4 days!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think this will be our toughest non-Michigan game to date. And I think it’ll come down to the turnover battle.
CSU is similar to Wyoming in the fact that with the advantage of elevation, they play much better at home. CSU is over 5,000' in elevation, Wyoming is over 7,200' in elevation.

CSU has only a win over MTSU on the road. They also got blown out on the road verse Utah State.

Wyoming has not won a single game on the road, but I give them big props for wins over Texas Tech and Fresno State. This is one team I do not want to play at their home field.

Very worried about our pass defense. Thinking we’ll need to continue grabbing a couple turnovers to come out on top of this one. If so then 38-34 UNLV.
Me too.

But I think we can semi-focus on their passing game without skimping against their running game … I don’t think they can focus on our running game without getting burned by the pass or vice versus.

I know Odom will have the team ready for a tough battle. IMO, no way we lose to CSU on homecoming and the strength that we've been playing with. These Rebels do not quit! I think we come out fast, score regularly and, by the 4th quarter, the rams are so tired that we close out the game running the ball effectively and controlling the clock. Our receivers need to watch out for that Henry Blackburn and come out of the game healthy. I see 45-20 our Rebels win and keep the 40+/game alive.

But...

UNLV - 55
CSU - 57

Double Overtime.

Sir I say this with all due respect.

Kindly take this post down and burn it. Then sit in a corner for an hour and think about what you have done.

When you are ready to apologize for suggesting an outcome that could cause me an instant heart attack at worst and at best shave 5 years off my life, you can post again.

Me too.

But I think we can semi-focus on their passing game without skimping against their running game … I don’t think they can focus on our running game without getting burned by the pass or vice versus.

My guess (as well as hope)..

Rebs are going to surrender an uncomfortable number of yards in this game. However it will get offset by creating a number of negative plays and forcing some turnovers.

Sir I say this with all due respect.

Kindly take this post down and burn it. Then sit in a corner for an hour and think about what you have done.

When you are ready to apologize for suggesting an outcome that could cause me an instant heart attack at worst and at best shave 5 years off my life, you can post again.
Unless I am completely wrong, expect two things: One, our time of possessions almost double that of CSU or UNLV have maintain two scores advantage over CSU. If UNLV is down it can meant that our run game is not effective or something happens to Maiava.

Edit: Just by visual, it seems that our Coaching staff is more experienced and more innovative.

Last edited:
Unless I am completely wrong, expect two things: One, our time of possessions almost double that of CSU or UNLV have maintain two scores advantage over CSU. If UNLV is down it can meant that our run game is not effective or something happens to Maiava.

Key in this game won't be how many yards Maiava throws for. It will be about the timeliness of the throws. Don't need him to throw for 300 yards. Do need him to be efficient, protect the ball and convert on 3rd down.

Key in this game won't be how many yards Maiava throws for. It will be about the timeliness of the throws. Don't need him to throw for 300 yards. Do need him to be efficient, protect the ball and convert on 3rd down.
Yes sir, he just need to be himself like he has been to this point. Maiava's decisions and poise is critical. He need to lead just like has been doing and improving from game to game at the trajectory that he has been doing. It will be a tough game but at the end it will be ok.

I dont know who coined this phrase or methodology but Rick Nieuheisel used it the other night, he said ,"Play defense with your offence" Meaning keep the other guys offence off the field. That is how UNLV can neutralise that #2 nationally ranked CSU passing offence.
Of course it is important that your team have the horses to play that way. Does UNLV have the RBs to do it? I think so.

Bull, do you remember the 83-84 Chicago Bears when they used the Fridge to punch in on offence? I dont know if I get my I get my years right but I remember Walter Peyton, mullet wearing Jim MacMahon, Mike Ditka....Da Bears!
85. But yeah, the Fridge had a few touchdowns including one in the Super Bowl. Which irked me, in a way, because Walter Payton was an amazing Bear, did so much for that franchise. One of my all time favorite players (tickled me more later when he was a UNLV/Tark fan).

I wanted to see him punch one in.

It was a great Bears team. Balanced offensively; not super dynamic. But defensively, they were just beasts. That Buddy Ryan 46 defense.

Buddy Ryan as DC and Mike Singletary as the LB. Making time to watch whenever the Bears play. Superhumans team.

85. But yeah, the Fridge had a few touchdowns including one in the Super Bowl. Which irked me, in a way, because Walter Payton was an amazing Bear, did so much for that franchise. One of my all time favorite players (tickled me more later when he was a UNLV/Tark fan).

I wanted to see him punch one in.

It was a great Bears team. Balanced offensively; not super dynamic. But defensively, they were just beasts. That Buddy Ryan 46 defense.

Ditka came out years later saying he regrets not giving the ball to Payton..

Funny thing is that 46 defense would struggle against the offenses of today. Would still be good but not nearly as dominant.

Lets run it down their throats, eat up the clock and keep their offense off the damn field.
That is the idea and should be the game plan. CSU coaching staff knows this this too so they will counter act against it...how well can we adapt?
And this is where UNLV coaching staff experience and innovations will be the different.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Ditka came out years later saying he regrets not giving the ball to Payton..

Funny thing is that 46 defense would struggle against the offenses of today. Would still be good but not nearly as dominant.
I thought it might have been a petty move. Remember, the Bears were dominating in the playoffs. Two shutouts in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Payton fumbled early in the superbowl and it directly led to a 3-0 Pats lead. That snapped their scoreless streak. I remember that because my dad had the great odds on a shutout. The Pats did score in the 4th after the game had been long decided. However, without that early FG, I suspect the Bears would have gone balls out for the shutout.

The thinking was the fumble pissed off Ditka so he didn’t give him the short yardage opportunity for a TD. I hope not because Payton was an all effort, all the time type of player.

I know people remember Fridge for those touchdowns. But it wasn’t a regular thing. He might have had two or three total so it’s not like he was an always FB in a short yardage situation.

And to be honest, I know the 46 was dominant … can’t remember what specific scheme it was. I think they moved Plank from safety to linebacker and just left corners on an island essentially, but they brought so much pressure from the front line and the middle of the field was completely covered. Not a lot of time to throw.

Going back a long way on this one. Jesus, it’s been nearly 40 years. It’s like when my gramps would tell me stories about Gehrig.

And to be honest, I know the 46 was dominant … can’t remember what specific scheme it was. I think they moved Plank from safety to linebacker and just left corners on an island essentially, but they brought so much pressure from the front line and the middle of the field was completely covered. Not a lot of time to throw.

Going back a long way on this one. Jesus, it’s been nearly 40 years. It’s like when my gramps would tell me stories about Gehrig.

When I talk about something that happend in the 80's I feel like Im talking about something that was 15-20 years ago, not 40. Then it hits me, shit that was 40 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT