ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread CSU/UNLV

And to be honest, I know the 46 was dominant … can’t remember what specific scheme it was. I think they moved Plank from safety to linebacker and just left corners on an island essentially, but they brought so much pressure from the front line and the middle of the field was completely covered. Not a lot of time to throw.

Going back a long way on this one. Jesus, it’s been nearly 40 years. It’s like when my gramps would tell me stories about Gehrig.

Basically it was a single high safety with the other in the box. Made it really hard to run against and generated tons of pressure on the QB.

Miami exploited it some with a real quick passing game (and Marino at QB).

Like any defensive scheme it has its weak points. Steelers zone blitz was susceptible to passes in the flat.

Defenses like offense go through copycat trends.

Remember the Tampa 2?

Basically 2 high safety with a MLB that was athletic/fast enough to drop into coverage to defend middle of the field. Worked great for the Bucs/Dungy because they had a dominant front four (Warren Sapp) able to rush the passer and a MLB in Brooks who could play up near the line but was fast enough to drop into coverage.

A lot of teams tried to adopt it..Most didn't have guys like Brooks and Sapp to make it nearly as effective.

Sir I say this with all due respect.

Kindly take this post down and burn it. Then sit in a corner for an hour and think about what you have done.

When you are ready to apologize for suggesting an outcome that could cause me an instant heart attack at worst and at best shave 5 years off my life, you can post again.
In the spirit of mutual respect...

I Dont Want To No Way GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

also

Patrick Swayze Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Basically it was a single high safety with the other in the box. Made it really hard to run against and generated tons of pressure on the QB.

Miami exploited it some with a real quick passing game (and Marino at QB).

Like any defensive scheme it has its weak points. Steelers zone blitz was susceptible to passes in the flat.

Defenses like offense go through copycat trends.

Remember the Tampa 2?

Basically 2 high safety with a MLB that was athletic/fast enough to drop into coverage to defend middle of the field. Worked great for the Bucs/Dungy because they had a dominant front four (Warren Sapp) able to rush the passer and a MLB in Brooks who could play up near the line but was fast enough to drop into coverage.

A lot of teams tried to adopt it..Most didn't have guys like Brooks and Sapp to make it nearly as effective.
The tampa 2 is a fun way to show cover 2 man, and then post snap turn it into a zone package with a cover 3. Screws with the pre-snap reads. Dungy actually borrowed it from the Steel Curtain Steelers defenses but Bud Carson, but with Shelton Quarles or Derrick Brooks being able to get much deeper than Jack Lambert (but Lambert was the maybe the premier athletic MLB in the 70s). Of course, you were allowed to mug receivers then so you didn't need to get into that area of the field to stop the post. But you're 100% right, it really relies on you having an athletic set of linebackers, and a DL that can pass rush AND stop the run with 7 in the box. It also really helps if you have a hard hitting SS to help support the run (Lynch and Shell), and a CB who can cover on an island (Barber and Blount).

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Said it for Reno and I’ll say it here. I believe we aren’t going to have any issue beating CSU, and I think it won’t even be particularly close. Something in the water…..Odom will take care of his house
They are completely one dimensional. Their QB (Nicolosi) is passing 45-60 times a game. If we can stop Nicolosi to Horton we'll win.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
They are completely one dimensional. Their QB (Nicolosi) is passing 45-60 times a game. If we can stop Nicolosi to Horton we'll win.
Hes also incredibly turnover prone.. He has 11 Ints on the year I think and 14 TDs. Their rushing attack is minimal at 75 yards per game. One dimensional and it really involves just the trio of players between the QB, Horton, and the TE...

Hes also incredibly turnover prone.. He has 11 Ints on the year I think and 14 TDs. Their rushing attack is minimal at 75 yards per game. One dimensional and it really involves just the trio of players between the QB, Horton, and the TE...
Here is the stats for CSU. They have more than just Holker and Horton at WRs. The RBs are not as productive but you cannot ignore than. Remember Reno only have one RB available.

double teaming Kamara and taking him out of the game is going to give us a lot of open WR with a lot of time to throw to them. He’s also easily frustrated and makes 15 yard mistakes when things aren’t going his way.

We need to get pressure with 4 guys rushing and a delayed blitz when it’s available. If we have to bring 5-6 guys to get pressure the rams will gash us and it will be a long day.

We should be able to score a lot of points. I’m excited to see what the defense can do against this offensive.

The tampa 2 is a fun way to show cover 2 man, and then post snap turn it into a zone package with a cover 3. Screws with the pre-snap reads. Dungy actually borrowed it from the Steel Curtain Steelers defenses but Bud Carson, but with Shelton Quarles or Derrick Brooks being able to get much deeper than Jack Lambert (but Lambert was the maybe the premier athletic MLB in the 70s). Of course, you were allowed to mug receivers then so you didn't need to get into that area of the field to stop the post. But you're 100% right, it really relies on you having an athletic set of linebackers, and a DL that can pass rush AND stop the run with 7 in the box. It also really helps if you have a hard hitting SS to help support the run (Lynch and Shell), and a CB who can cover on an island (Barber and Blount).

Yep. Brooks and Sapp really made that defense. Sapp was good against the run and a very good interior pass rusher.

Ask any QB they'll tell you they'd prefer pressure from the edge. They can just step up in the pocket to avoid. Pressure up the middle forces them to leave pocket and roll out. That alone can completely disrupt a play as it cuts down half the field/available receivers.

double teaming Kamara and taking him out of the game is going to give us a lot of open WR with a lot of time to throw to them. He’s also easily frustrated and makes 15 yard mistakes when things aren’t going his way.

We need to get pressure with 4 guys rushing and a delayed blitz when it’s available. If we have to bring 5-6 guys to get pressure the rams will gash us and it will be a long day.

We should be able to score a lot of points. I’m excited to see what the defense can do against this offensive.

Odom was able to stifle the Mike Leach Air Raid while at Arkansas..

Not saying he can do the same thing here but at least there's some track record of slowing it down.

I think the Rebs will attack it similarly to how they did Hawaii. Bring guys close to the line to make QB and OL account for potential rushers. Rush three use a lot of stunts. When Rebs bring 4 or blitz with 5 guys are going to have to get pressure and make QB get rid of the ball quicker than he wants. If DBs/LBs get caught up in the muck and don't get there it's going to be a long day..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
One thing I like in a scenario like this is the OT shortened field benefits our lackluster defensive secondary.

Likewise, our RB depth would likely benefit us in a game going to OT.

If we go to OT I think I'll feel okay about the result once we're there. 4 days!
maybe our running game can keep the passing attack off the field

They are in love with crossing routes. If we can stop it or slow it down that will make it difficult for them.

They are in love with crossing routes. If we can stop it or slow it down that will make it difficult for them.
Jack Tatum knows how to slow that roll.

One good crack (clean and legal) over the middle and all of a sudden their cuts are more dull, their steps are shorter, and their head is up before they catch the ball.

My kind of football.

.. getting to 6-1 and bowl eligible with a 3 game run upcoming to make the Conference Championship game... huge implications on where we are at as a program. Beat another bad team that we should...
Until it’s actually not, I have a feeling we are going to be saying
Arguably one of the biggest games in program history.

Which is nice. This has been the most UNLV fun I’ve had since … pre-Menzies.

Maybe, but we get down field as quickly with our feet as with the air. And short or no huddle a lot.

Said it before.

I think the Rebs will surrender an ugly amount of yards in the box score.

But they will create enough negative plays and should be able to move the ball and score enough to offset CSU's offense. CSU is going to get 'theirs' but they've been turnover prone (QB already has 11 INT) and will hand it over to the Rebs a couple of times. It will be the difference in the game.

I will now go in my backyard, sacrifice a chicken, pray to Zues and charge my crystals in moonlight to break the jinx of this post..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT