ADVERTISEMENT

Crickets

unlove

Rebel Legend
Feb 24, 2004
On the Tark board. I’m as guilty as anyone spending my time on the football board. But geez we’re into Oct and there’s barely any discussion. Football has sucked all the oxygen out of the room. Wonder if CKK prefers it this way?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
On the Tark board. I’m as guilty as anyone spending my time on the football board. But geez we’re into Oct and there’s barely any discussion. Football has sucked all the oxygen out of the room. Wonder if CKK prefers it this way?
You’ll have the typical yes men/hype guys talking up everyone as the real deal and UNLV breaking through this year, etc, etc, etc. It’ll be the same guys as always “stud” and “can’t miss”, I really think they’re nothing but hype guys looking for recognition when things do go right. Unfortunately for all of us, they’re usually close to 180 degrees wrong and it exposes them as fraudsters. Of course, maybe, just maybe there will be that one fluke year where they are the only ones calling it good and we fluke into it, and then they can go with the I told you so, hoping it erases the last 10 years of being anything but close to right.

It’ll be the same ballpark as we’ve been. We all know Dedan is Dedan. He IS a stud, we’ve seen it with our own two eyes. Let’s just hope for no injury or we are looking at closer to 500 than 650.

We are in total rebuild mode after last season
I am not here to spread sunshine if it is cloudy. But you return the teams best player, and one of the best 2 thru 4 (Boone bros also in top 4). And a key piece coming off acl.

Not a total rebuild. Do I see a for sure conference title? No also.

UNLV just has to tread water for a couple of years. With SDSU, Boise and USU gone, UNLV is virtually guaranteed a top 3 spot in conference every single year with UNM and UNR. Fresno and CSU are two programs that pop up every 5 years or so to make an impact in conference and they’re gone.

Now if we can escape those pesky 40 point losses to AFA, UNLV basketball will be back on the map.

Sigh.

The future is bright.

UNLV just has to tread water for a couple of years. With SDSU, Boise and USU gone, UNLV is virtually guaranteed a top 3 spot in conference every single year with UNM and UNR. Fresno and CSU are two programs that pop up every 5 years or so to make an impact in conference and they’re gone.

Now if we can escape those pesky 40 point losses to AFA, UNLV basketball will be back on the map.

Sigh.

The future is bright.
I hope we don’t schedule Southern and LMU again because we can’t hang with them at home. The home court advantage is as strong as ever.

I hope we don’t schedule Southern and LMU again because we can’t hang with them at home. The home court advantage is as strong as ever.
If the conference mates shake out as we think it will, I don’t think OOC will matter much. I don’t think you can complement conference regular season success with a strong OOC enough to make an at large possibility difference.

I think it’ll be a one bid conference. The conference championship winner.

I mean, if you go with a top 10 type of OOC and can have moderate success, yeah, I can see it perhaps.

You just aren’t going to improve your overall resume much with conference wins …. Because the conference will be weak.

Unless we add Fran Tarkenton State.

If the conference mates shake out as we think it will, I don’t think OOC will matter much. I don’t think you can complement conference regular season success with a strong OOC enough to make an at large possibility difference.

I think it’ll be a one bid conference. The conference championship winner.

I mean, if you go with a top 10 type of OOC and can have moderate success, yeah, I can see it perhaps.

You just aren’t going to improve your overall resume much with conference wins …. Because the conference will be weak.

Unless we add Fran Tarkenton State.
Yeah, yeah, I’m being fatalistic …. I guess I was being fatalistic when I said we were in the fast track to irrelevance when we hired Menzies, too. Bad hires that force the adoption of a slow growth mentality will eventually kill a program.

I can't believe the WCC can offer their remaining teams much $$ without Gonzaga being in the mix. Additionally they are looking at being a one bid league. Perhaps we could add two of them ( Non football). St. Mary's and USF could boost the MWC to a two bid league and give teams an extra chance. Or combine the Conferences for a 16 team basketball league and an 8 team football league.

I can't believe the WCC can offer their remaining teams much $$ without Gonzaga being in the mix. Additionally they are looking at being a one bid league. Perhaps we could add two of them ( Non football). St. Mary's and USF could boost the MWC to a two bid league and give teams an extra chance. Or combine the Conferences for a 16 team basketball league and an 8 team football league.
Actually, not the worst idea I’ve heard. Oh, I know, I know, Jesuit colleges, etc, etc, etc. But hypocrisy would shine through, money is thicker than religion.

Could Whaley be another breakout canidate from unlv?
That's what I was thinking too. I think Dedan is fairly well known already, but maybe that's just a regional bias. I think UNLV is going to need both of those guys to step up big this season if we're going to finish in the top 3 in conference.

Sigh.

The future is bright.
This is why Grand Canyon should be a priority for basketball only, and football in the future. 120K students (25K on campus) can't all be wrong. The school has money to burn and that is why they have beat SDSU last year and went to the NCAA playoffs!

That's what I was thinking too. I think Dedan is fairly well known already, but maybe that's just a regional bias. I think UNLV is going to need both of those guys to step up big this season if we're going to finish in the top 3 in conference.
UNLV will need more than Whaley and DJ to be breakout players to save Kevin, who should have already been fired by now!

Reactions: rebelzzz
Either Kruger fast forward his experience this next season, or I am sure the AD will show him the door at the end of the season!
Depends.

If you want to divert a ton of money to football and make that 1a and 1b… you need an inexpensive basketball head coach … and with us heading towards a one sometimes two bid conference … shouldn’t have to pay much … we paid cheap for football when we tried to make basketball more relevant, now the script can be flipped.

Aren’t a lot of fans left that will be screaming for results. The ones that did, left and it’s not like they’re feeling a huge sense of loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT