ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Barry Odom

Stoops is a lot older and Odom is only 46 or so. Odom is an excellent hire on all the boxes. As others have said, he can compete in any league given his experience at Missouri.

Is he the most exciting? Nope. But his resume is solid.

I'm hardly blown away by it, but it's a good hire based on what UNLV can afford and who would likely even want the job.

It's who we have now. Let's see what he does.

Sumlin was 51-26 in the SEC West, that's 10x more impressive than going 25-25 in the SEC East. Sumlin failed miserably at Arizona, but he's an offensive minded coach anyway, a defensive coach was the way to go.

Stoops - Rather have Odom.

He was. He also flamed out in Arizona and there are a lot of reports about him not being the most dedicated guy, by people that cover the team and fans alike. Appears he enjoyed the nightlife quite a bit. I would have been good with him here. But I think there are concerns and some decent jobs have opened since and he hasn't been linked to any of them either.

I'll reiterate, would he come here with what UNLV can pay? Would he want to come here at all? Don't know.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the staff he puts together. I went back and looked at all the recruiting classes for Arkansas and Mizzou while he was at both places.

At Arkansas looks like they only signed two 4* defensive players initially out of high school, but landed some nice players on the transfer portal.

2023 - HS: 4* CB TX TR: 0
2022 - HS: 0 - Transfer: 4* S Fl (from UGA), 4*CB TX (From LSU), 5* LB TX (From Bama), 4* EDGE TX (From LSU)
2021 - HS: 0 TR: 0
2020 - HS: 4* S OK TR: 4* ILB OK (From OU), 4* WDE KS (From Clemson)

At Mizzou it seemed to be a similar pattern of lots of high 3 stars, but the transfer data from back then is much thinner and it wasn't nearly as prevalent so the classes as a whole were rated lower

2019 - HS: 4* S MO TR: 0
2018 - HS: 0 TR: 0
2017 - 4* DT AR TR: 0
2016 - HS: 0 TR: 0

For me, recruiting has to be a bit of a concern and he will need to have a west coast guy as well as a top flight overall recruiter and a solid offensive guy. But I think all that shouldn't be impossible and he's had assistants that are now HC, most notably Josh Heupel at Tennessee.

My guess is there are other perks that arent direct payments.

Multiple car leases, housing potentially, outside endorsements, etc.

I would love to know the staff budget for assistants thats going to be the key I think.

I'd like to see the staff he puts together. I went back and looked at all the recruiting classes for Arkansas and Mizzou while he was at both places.

At Arkansas looks like they only signed two 4* defensive players initially out of high school, but landed some nice players on the transfer portal.

2022 - HS: 0 - Transfer: 4* S Fl (from UGA), 4*CB TX (From LSU), 5* LB TX (From Bama), 4* EDGE TX (From LSU)

At Mizzou it seemed to be a similar pattern of lots of high 3 stars, but the transfer data from back then is much thinner and it wasn't nearly as prevalent so the classes as a whole were rated lower

For me, recruiting has to be a bit of a concern and he will need to have a west coast guy as well as a top flight overall recruiter and a solid offensive guy. But I think all that shouldn't be impossible and he's had assistants that are now HC, most notably Josh Heupel at Tennessee.

Agreed.

But it's much easier to just say he sucks than post nuanced concerns.

There’s a lot of 3 star talent in Oklahoma and some of the other areas he’s recruited in the past. As you said though, we NEED a presence on the West Coast. Anxiously awaiting his staff moves.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I get where you are coming from on the recruiting concerns but with the way college football is changing, the transfer portal is becoming more important than high school recruiting. Teams will rely more on the transfer portal to fill out their needs. For example, you are a 2 star diamond in the rough high school senior that ends up signing with a G5 school and has a good year you’ll have power 5 teams coming after you. The portal can be useful but it can also hurt you with losing good players. We have been lucky to have a coaching staff here at Arkansas that understands how the game is changing with the portal and have brought in some great players because of it.

I get where you are coming from on the recruiting concerns but with the way college football is changing, the transfer portal is becoming more important than high school recruiting. Teams will rely more on the transfer portal to fill out their needs. For example, you are a 2 star diamond in the rough high school senior that ends up signing with a G5 school and has a good year you’ll have power 5 teams coming after you. The portal can be useful but it can also hurt you with losing good players. We have been lucky to have a coaching staff here at Arkansas that understands how the game is changing with the portal and have brought in some great players because of it.

Go back 10 years or so, football recruiting was predominantly regional. It's not like basketball, there's no AAU equivalent in football with traveling teams.

Its different now, social media, NIL, transfer portal, all have changed the game.

It's still regional but not nearly to the extent is was even three to five years ago.

I believe he's recruited Gorman HS here in the past.

Guess is he'll retain one or two off current staff to hold onto current recruiting targets and players if they fit what he wants.

He'll need somebody with more West coast/regional ties on staff, but it's not as imperative as it once was...

Go back 10 years or so, football recruiting was predominantly regional. It's not like basketball, there's no AAU equivalent in football with traveling teams.

Its different now, social media, NIL, transfer portal, all have changed the game.

It's still regional but not nearly to the extent is was even three to five years ago.

Guess is he'll retain one or two off current staff to hold onto current recruiting targets and players if they fit what he wants.

He'll need somebody with more West coast/regional ties on staff, but it's not as imperative as it once was...
I'd be happy if he retains our DC. He was known as a stud recruiter, so that would fill one of the holes that concern us. On the other hand, the DC was friends with Arroyo, so there's that.

I'd be happy if he retains our DC. He was known as a stud recruiter, so that would fill one of the holes that concern us. On the other hand, the DC was friends with Arroyo, so there's that.

Your status as being the idiot that stands out the most in a roomful of idiots seemingly does not preclude you from actually making a smart observation. Which I reluctantly agree with.

• Haha
Reactions: reagan21

This is spot on. Good thing is, it’s changing for everyone. We are all learning as we go. There’s right at 1000 players in the portal that opened up yesterday. You will still want to sign 20-25 high school guys per year and expect to lose 8-10 to the portal each year and make the difference up bringing in immediate needs through the portal. It’s a lot easier asking a transfer to come in for 1-2 years rather than commit to come in for 4. The game is changing and if you don’t change with it you won’t make it.

This is spot on. Good thing is, it’s changing for everyone. We are all learning as we go. There’s right at 1000 players in the portal that opened up yesterday. You will still want to sign 20-25 high school guys per year and expect to lose 8-10 to the portal each year and make the difference up bringing in immediate needs through the portal. It’s a lot easier asking a transfer to come in for 1-2 years rather than commit to come in for 4. The game is changing and if you don’t change with it you won’t make it.

Agreed, only thing I might say is you can drop that number to around 20 HS guys, since you can find plenty in the portal with 3 years of eligibility vs 2 years and having to sit a year.

I agree with all you highlighted I just don’t personally believe us making a “splash hire” would result in us getting an immediate or near term invite from the PAC whatever. As you said, some good success could push us over the edge and I do agree with that. Let’s show we can have sustained success and the rest will fall into place. Sucks the realignment is right around the corner and not 3-5 years down the road where we’d have more of a chance to show continued progress across the board. Gun to my head and I’d rather have success at this current level than worry about moving up a level and truly running the risk of becoming completely irrelevant.
I’d rather suck and move up than stay and do well. The former will yield more in conf affiliation monies.

But no, I don’t think a splash hire gets us there regardless. Now we have to perform. The window is small …

Thanks Coach. We’re happy you’re here at UNLV

The only thing I like about the hire is he is defensive-minded.
I’d rather suck and move up than stay and do well. The former will yield more in conf affiliation monies.

But no, I don’t think a splash hire gets us there regardless. Now we have to perform. The window is small …

Look as down as we are about Arroyo and a lot of it is justified....

He was 5-7 with 4 one score losses. He flips any of those, he's 6-6 Rebs are bowling and this thread (and a few others) don't exist.

Go back even to last seasons 2-10 there were 6 or 7 one score losses I think.

He didn't so here we are.

Point being this team was close. There's enough talent on the roster to win.

Let's hope Odom can get them over the hump.

Look as down as we are about Arroyo and a lot of it is justified....

He was 5-7 with 4 one score losses. He flips any of those, he's 6-6 Rebs are bowling and this thread (and a few others) don't exist.

Go back even to last seasons 2-10 there were 6 or 7 one score losses I think.

He didn't so here we are.

Point being this team was close. There's enough talent on the roster to win.

Let's hope Odom can get them over the hump.
Bull, I wanted nothing more than CMA to succeed but losing close games, red zone problems, defensive deficiencies, OLine still couldn't pick up blitzes, never beating any top MWC top teams his results were worse than Sanchez. Sanchez beat SDSU, beat Reno 3 out of 5, and that was with out the benefits of having the stadium and the Complex that he generated. For all of of CMA recruiting, the best players were from Sanchez Windmon and Dougie. CMA got his just deserts.

Bull, I wanted nothing more than CMA to succeed but losing close games, red zone problems, defensive deficiencies, OLine still couldn't pick up blitzes, never beating any top MWC top teams his results were worse than Sanchez. Sanchez beat SDSU, beat Reno 3 out of 5, and that was with out the benefits of having the stadium and the Complex that he generated. For all of of CMA recruiting, the best players were from Sanchez Windmon and Dougie. CMA got his just deserts.

Sanchez was only hired because he coached the son of a really rich guy who promised to do him a solid.

Had Sanchez done the same thing at Liberty but the promise of a 30 million dollar facility wasn't there he never would have gotten the job here. he would have gotten the Gorman job.

Sanchez also suffered a lot of bad losses himself. Howard comes to mind.

But..

I get the gist of what you're are saying though. I want every coach to succeed. I'd rather be wrong, eat crow and Rebs go bowling every year vs be right and take more pleasure in saying I told you this coach would suck.

Reactions: ricovegas
Sumlin was 51-26 in the SEC West, that's 10x more impressive than going 25-25 in the SEC East. Sumlin failed miserably at Arizona, but he's an offensive minded coach anyway, a defensive coach was the way to go.

Stoops - Rather have Odom.
In my opinion, I think going .500 at Missouri is impressive. aTm has many more advantages (budget, facilities, fertile recruiting). Thing with Sumlin is you also need to include Arizona
In his body of work and that was a MASSIVE failure. Can’t just ignore it like it didn’t happen. Yes, Arizona is a difficult job, but so is UNLV, so it’s a fair comparison

In my opinion, I think going .500 at Missouri is impressive. aTm has many more advantages (budget, facilities, fertile recruiting). Thing with Sumlin is you also need to include Arizona
In his body of work and that was a MASSIVE failure. Can’t just ignore it like it didn’t happen. Yes, Arizona is a difficult job, but so is UNLV, so it’s a fair comparison

Sumlin is funny, you can make a compelling argument based on which portion of his career you choose to cherry pick.

I think the thing that would worry me beyond the U of A results are some of the reports from local dudes that covered Arizona. A fair amount of stuff floating out there that he wasn't the most dedicated dude at that point and enjoyed the nightlife a bit too much.

Don't know the truth of it, but might raise some flags for an AD in the midst of a coaching search.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
With Sumlin you also have to include his time with Houston, which was a success, so that's 3 stops, 2 were very successful, 1 wasn't. Don't know what happened in Tuscon, but that doesn't erase what he did before.

In the 2 seasons prior to Odoms arrival at Mizzou, they were 23-5 (14-2 in the SEC), so its not THAT impressive to go .500.

Honestly I'm done going back and forth, he's our guy, I'm fine with it and I hope he kills it.

With Sumlin you also have to include his time with Houston, which was a success, so that's 3 stops, 2 were very successful, 1 wasn't. Don't know what happened in Tuscon, but that doesn't erase what he did before.

In the 2 seasons prior to Odoms arrival at Mizzou, they were 23-5 (14-2 in the SEC), so its not THAT impressive to go .500.

Honestly I'm done going back and forth, he's our guy, I'm fine with it and I hope he kills it.

That's a valid point about Sumlin for sure.

I think there may be a reason/s why he hasn't been getting a lot of run after Arizona. I can't remember his name being floated outside of UNLV.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I’m willing to see him work! I’m curious about his staff and recruiting, start with keeping the key guys here and out of the portal and then hit the road and get us some OL, DL, WR, QB, CB and DE/OLB help.

Welcome Coach Odom, we need some wins!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT