ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Barry Odom

But where are we going to get the money for that type of hire? The town is still reeling from the pandemic, and you had to go out and fundraise to get enough money to buy out the last 2 years contract on the coach that wasn't working out.

You can say we're thinking about the past and present but we just don't have the funds to sign a big time coach--and it's not just the Head Coaches salary, it's being able to pay top end for coordinators and positional coaches. Even mid tier P5 programs are paying more to positional coaches than we were paying Tony Sanchez as a head man a few short years ago.

We might be thinking of the present circumstances, but you're only thinking about the future and ignoring the realities and limitations that we have in place. It seems as though most of the conference are done expanding for now as well. I think it's going to be 2-3 years before the next round and after the big conferences see how the new 12 team playoff works.

This contract (and apparently the assistant contracts) will move us to the top of the MWC in coach's salary finally--and the extra money we raised had to go to a buyout because CMA wasn't the guy. And this is even taking into consideration that we are paying our basketball coach in the bottom half of the conference. This contract puts us at the top 3 of the MWC for the first time in our existence for football salaries. Sometimes going big is relative.

I think there's a flaw in your line of thinking. If the sports programs are frankly secondary then why do we need to spend money to make a flash hire? If the programs are a secondary thought compared to the other perks of Vegas and the academic position of the school (and I don't disagree that having a med school, having Tier 1 research status, etc is SUPER important to some P5 conferences not named the Big12) as well the athletic support facilities being top notch, wouldn't we be in just as good a position to get a P5 invite then?

Also I think a point is missed here. UNLV now has the highest paid coach in the league.

UNLV which has one of the worst football programs in the country, from a school that is strapped for cash.

This contract is a pretty big deal.

Also I think a point is missed here. UNLV now has the highest paid coach in the league.

UNLV which has one of the worst football programs in the country, from a school that is strapped for cash.

This contract is a pretty big deal.
Strapped for cash?? We have 308 million PLUS in endowment. Invest in a good coach and we can start to profit at FB games. Imagine how many tickets would be sold if we were 9-3 AND in Pac-12 or another Power 5 conference. IMO with away ticket and home tickets combined we would have 35-40000 PLUS at every game. Probably 50,000 plus for the bigger games.

Strapped for cash?? We have 308 million PLUS in endowment. Invest in a good coach and we can start to profit at FB games. Imagine how many tickets would be sold if we were 9-3 AND in Pac-12 or another Power 5 conference. IMO with away ticket and home tickets combined we would have 35-40000 PLUS at every game. Probably 50,000 plus for the bigger games.
308 million? to use for athletics? Where TF did this money come from?
Looking at our attendance we sure aren't making money with the games themselves and we get 3 mil in TV money.

I agree you ahve to spend money to make money. You also have to have money to spend money. That has been our problem.

Also it has been a poor investment this far. Our fans will only support winners, if at all anymore. Dumping cash into something that could make money, but has to be extremely successful first, and there is some uncertainty if fans will ever show again despite success.

Reactions: Couev
You do understand that endowments are earkmarked--you can't just take money from the general endowment and put it towards athletics. You can't take an athletic endowment like UNLV golf has and use it for whatever you want. It's all legally tied up. You literally can't do that. That's financial fraud and an amazing way to make sure that you don't get any general fund donations moving forward.

Reactions: reagan21
When Coach Odom was doing the press conference, he joked about how he was in town recently and found his way into the football facility. He toured some downstairs and some upstairs and came away very impressed. A friend of mine sent me some security footage of what he saw when he was on campus.
giphy.gif

You can see why he was so impressed!

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
An endowment is not money to be used. It’s invested money and you “live off the interest” or dividends. And that’s for the entire university….and a $308M endowment is tiny, to be honest.
Most come from alumni bequests many of which have stipulations for the use of those funds.

This is a fun thread to revisit.

Still early.

But early returns have been good.

A lot of us may be able to tell you exactly what crow tastes in the coming weeks.
I feel like I'm already there, lol.. I was disappointed in the hire initially, but then I took a short term view and I'm seeing positive change everywhere so it's all going according to plan. Lol

I believe coach Odom has something to prove. He feels that he was not given time to win at Mizzou. He is highly motivated to make this work and has set goals of winning the conference and being ranked #1 in recruiting. He is exactly what we needed at this point in time. We have a opportunity to become a powerful program. In my opinion we should be the Top destination for group of 5 players and Transfers.

I think one thing not being discussed is the realignment fallout.

Would a MWC/Remaining Pac schools be considered P5? I doubt it. But they might be viewed as to G5 conference. That might be enough to keep him around a bit until a considerably better job opened up.

I don't think if you are Odom you bolt at the first P5 job that comes calling.

Reactions: RebelinWA

Would a MWC/Remaining Pac schools be considered P5? I doubt it. But they might be viewed as to G5 conference. That might be enough to keep him around a bit until a considerably better job opened up.

Our Coach, Coach Odom have a kid on football team and another one in Gorman HS. He is not bolting to no where for now. IMO

I think we are talking about this too early. If he goes 7-5, 9-3, and 11-1 with three bowl wins and 40,000 regular fans in Allegiant then we have to worry. But not much till then.

Agree, too early.

But I don't think he needs to win at that high of a rate.

He's already well respected as a solid defensive guy. He's had a run at a p5 job before. If he can win 7-8 games two years in a row and go bowling at a perennial bottom feeder like UNLV it would likely get attention from a number of ADs around the country.

Any type of success here his phone starts ringing sooner than later.

Look for the Pac 2 school to settle out of court with the 10 existing schools before December 1st. Then the merger will be announced. We should find out from the playoff committee if we qualify as a P5 or G5.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Look for the Pac 2 school to settle out of court with the 10 existing schools before December 1st. Then the merger will be announced. We should find out from the playoff committee if we qualify as a P5 or G5.

I doubt we get P5 acceptance. But with expanded playoffs that may not matter quite as much. Addition of Oregon State and WASU would position whatever the PAC/MW merger is called as argiluably the top G5 conference. Not ideal but at least if a team had a big year in the conference they have a shot at the playoff.

Agree, too early.

He's already well respected as a solid defensive guy. He's had a run at a p5 job before. If he can win 7-8 games two years in a row and go bowling at a perennial bottom feeder like UNLV it would likely get attention from a number of ADs around the country.

That may be very well true, but it also means next time UNLV needs a new coach it will be a much easier sell once a coach has proven UNLV can be turned into a winner!

Our Coach, Coach Odom have a kid on football team and another one in Gorman HS. He is not bolting to no where for now. IMO
I believe he’s at faith. But same thing. I saw him play vs Desert Pines. Definitely more of a runner than a passer at qb.

We're way ahead of ourselves with this but.

My guess would be Marion is gone after this year for a P5 OC job. I think he's a couple years away from a HC job unless he goes FCS route (doubt he would take it) Maybe G5 school offers him?

One at UNLV and the other is a junior at faith Lutheran I believe. Only one session after current left
My cousin is the nurse at faith Lutheran. Don’t they have THE Dominique Dorsey as coach there?

An endowment is not money to be used. It’s invested money and you “live off the interest” or dividends. And that’s for the entire university….and a $308M endowment is tiny, to be honest.
Not all true. In 2016 the UNLV Foundation purchased 42 acres of land on Tropicana/Koval that at the time they said could be used for an on-campus stadium. The Foundation purchased the land for $50 million.

Some donations to the Foundation are not restricted. When you donate you can decide if your money is restricted for a specific use or it can be designated unrestricted.

Last edited:
Agree, too early.

We way overestimate how many G5 coaches get P5 jobs each year. A coach moving down from a previous P5 job seldom gets another chance. Looking back at previous year coaching carousels, the biggest proportion of P5 jobs go to Coordinators either moved up at the school or taken from other programs. Then there are previous P5 coaches who are out of work and currently in broadcasting or something else. Then there are NFL coordinators/ ex head coaches. Less than 5 G5 coaches get P5 jobs each year. Last year it was 2.

7-5 this year followed by 9-3 may get him a sniff. But when you look at previous G5 coaches moving up, their trajectory is usually straight up. It takes timing, connections and flat out luck to move from a G5 job to a P5 job.

We way overestimate how many G5 coaches get P5 jobs each year. A coach moving down from a previous P5 job seldom gets another chance. Looking back at previous year coaching carousels, the biggest proportion of P5 jobs go to Coordinators either moved up at the school or taken from other programs. Then there are previous P5 coaches who are out of work and currently in broadcasting or something else. Then there are NFL coordinators/ ex head coaches. Less than 5 G5 coaches get P5 jobs each year. Last year it was 2.

7-5 this year followed by 9-3 may get him a sniff. But when you look at previous G5 coaches moving up, their trajectory is usually straight up. It takes timing, connections and flat out luck to move from a G5 job to a P5 job.

Correct, but he's had a P5 job before and while his results were middling it was hardly a disaster either.

I think what your saying actually makes it less likely he would bolt. Which is a good thing if he's having success. (And let's be honest if he reaches just bowl eligibility over the next two three years that would constitute success here).

If the PAC remnants and MWC merge that will be a pretty damn good conference. Maybe lose P5 status but would probably be the top G5.

Making any move to another G5 school essentially lateral.

He's not bolting at the end of this year baring we run the table then all bets are off, lol.. but realistically he's here 2-3 years max. He's from Midwest, He's got connections to midwest/SEC, very little West Coast connections..best outlook- he will win alot of games, make job super appealing to other coaches with all our facilities, and head back to a Big 12 or SEC job. There's always 2-3 openings in those conferences and he'll get his pick

Not all true. In 2016 the UNLV Foundation purchased 42 acres of land on Tropicana/Koval that at the time they said could be used for an on-campus stadium. The Foundation purchased the land for $50 million.

Some donations to the Foundation are not restricted. When you donate you can decide if your money is restricted for a specific use or it can be designated unrestricted.
If that’s true, they’re doing it wrong.

I think we are talking about this too early. If he goes 7-5, 9-3, and 11-1 with three bowl wins and 40,000 regular fans in Allegiant then we have to worry. But not much till then.
If he can accomplish that the money will be here if wants to stay. Vegas and UNLV are at that point where the city and business community are large enough and alumni base is deep enough to bring the $$. My impression of our AD is that he has the ability to raise the $$. Vegas has always been a football town imho and it will embrace a winning football program. Gamers will see the value as well. Doesn’t mean he’ll stay but we’d be well positioned.

If he can accomplish that the money will be here if wants to stay. Vegas and UNLV are at that point where the city and business community are large enough and alumni base is deep enough to bring the $$. My impression of our AD is that he has the ability to raise the $$. Vegas has always been a football town imho and it will embrace a winning football program. Gamers will see the value as well. Doesn’t mean he’ll stay but we’d be well positioned.
I hope you're right. UNLV is not that far away from being relevant. I just finished watching Texas vs OU in their rivalry game. God, what a crowd. Imagine 60K+ at Allegiant.

I hope you're right. UNLV is not that far away from being relevant. I just finished watching Texas vs OU in their rivalry game. God, what a crowd. Imagine 60K+ at Allegiant.
Imagine 40,000 UNLV fans...lol

Would become an incredible and hostile environment

I hear that! Would be a great start. They said here in TX that it was 92k - 46k of each fan base as tradition, split in the stadium. It was a great game.
I truly think UNLV is in a great position to really bring more fans than anyone would expect.… with some more wins

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT