ADVERTISEMENT

Classy Guy

LVKryptonite

Conference POY
Mar 3, 2010
I had this conversation a while back, just talking about what happened with him and Tark as that is the golden light we hold all coaches to.

I had a nice conversation with Jackie Robinson one day for about half an hour. Yep just the two of us talking about basketball. He said that David (he said david, not Dave) is being overly ambitious trying to get a full court press. Tark had them starting with half court press the first year and then on the 2nd year moved to the full monte. He also said 8-9 players because if you play 12 nobody gets enough time on the court to feel comfortable. If you play 7 - too much fatigue. He also said that having players play multiple positions was key. Every guy plays 2-3 spots. They ran one set offense play. But they made their living playing defense and running their lanes on fast breaks. So everyone knew where everyone was going to be and they could push the ball. They were putting up 100 a night without a 3 point line.

I am a little concerned that we are going to have a grind it out slow paced protect every possession basketball game. If we beat Duke (hey, a man can dream can't he) then I don't care how we play. If the score is 52 to 51 with the Rebels on top, I will celebrate.

Anyway, that was off topic, but my only real insider information that I know nobody else has since I was the only one at the conversation. I was really impressed about how much he loved the game and how knowledgeable he was. Playing in the NBA is a huge plus. There were a lot of nuances that I didn't even think about. I am not saying he would be a good coach (nor a bad one), and I don't think he wants to be one. I am just saying what a wealth of knowledge. We have so many former players that can instill knowledge on our young team. I wonder if we could get a big brother program going with our guys. How would you like to come in and get Larry Johnson assigned to you. That would be awesome. Just an idea, probably lots of real world issues like (snubbed by the university, don't live in Vegas, etc.).

I started writing this to talk about the number of players and realized that it was a different tangent so I created a new post.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT