ADVERTISEMENT

Can UNLV regain its prestige in town?

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky
To clarify, this is mainly about the basketball program but could include the football team should we start to win.

I thought about how many VGK fans feel alienated now after MAF and several others were traded away, and how maybe the fans may not be as “loyal” to the team should we not win at the same clip as we have been.

Why can’t UNLV become Las Vegas’ team again? Our tickets are less expensive than VGK and The Raiders, and money is tight for many right now.

What say you?

I think it is an uphill battle for sure, but I think the quick rise of the Knights show how some success could bring some fans in.

It would more than a .500 bottom of the barrel bowl IMO for football. It would take MW title contention, a big suprising win or 2 (good power 5 team/ top of the MW win) and a good bowl invite.

I can see some real buzz if UNLV is a MW title contender heading into season

Weirdly I think people would take more for basketball. Since we have had promising starts and disappointing finshes somewhat more recently, people would be more gunshy jumping on board.

Reactions: NSU67
To clarify, this is mainly about the basketball program but could include the football team should we start to win.

I thought about how many VGK fans feel alienated now after MAF and several others were traded away, and how maybe the fans may not be as “loyal” to the team should we not win at the same clip as we have been.

Why can’t UNLV become Las Vegas’ team again? Our tickets are less expensive than VGK and The Raiders, and money is tight for many right now.

What say you?

Become more relevant...Yes.

Own the town...Not likely.

What say you?
VGK has won at an extremely high level from go, was our first pro team, Vegas born and not an moved franchise, cast offs (similarities of unlv’s renegade/the world is against us mentality), oct 1, etc.

If UNLV was to have the same level of success that VGK has had, which would essentially be a final 4, two elite 8, and a sweet 16 in 4 years, they would once again have a massive following.

Own the town? Probably not. It’s a different town. What happened during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s was lightening in a bottle and one out of a million, in a town that loved them and had few other competitors for that love

VGK has won at an extremely high level from go, was our first pro team, Vegas born and not an moved franchise, cast offs (similarities of unlv’s renegade/the world is against us mentality), oct 1, etc.

If UNLV was to have the same level of success that VGK has had, which would essentially be a final 4, two elite 8, and a sweet 16 in 4 years, they would once again have a massive following.

Own the town? Probably not. It’s a different town. What happened during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s was lightening in a bottle and one out of a million, in a town that loved them and had few other competitors for that love

This ☝️

Reactions: SwiftlyT
Sure, just win, FB has a bigger uphill battle because making the AZ or NM Bowl doesnt move the needle and making a bowl game is just getting to respectable in a crap conference.

In BB, obviosuly win, but be exciting, win a few high profile games, do well in the MWC where people start looking to the NCAAT and then people will come out.

FB, UNLV could be 7-2 with losses to ASU and ISU and no more fans are going to show up for the Hawaii game on Nov 13 than if the team were 4-5.

UNLV basketball absolutely could own this town if they were a threat to win the NCAA tourney (preseason rank #10 or better) and at the same time the Golden Knight slipped a little and the Raiders were...the Raiders.

I'm not saying this could ever be a scenario, but you'll be surprised how it would be the hottest ticket in town if this were the case.

UNLV basketball absolutely could own this town if they were a threat to win the NCAA tourney (preseason rank #10 or better) and at the same time the Golden Knight slipped a little and the Raiders were...the Raiders.

I'm not saying this could ever be a scenario, but you'll be surprised how it would be the hottest ticket in town if this were the case.
They don't need to own the town. With a City that currently has between 2.6 and 2.8 million people, they would have a huge following if only a small percentage had an interest in going to games.
This. Add the 100k+ alumni most of who live in town and that’s sufficient for a strong fan base. UNLV just needs to start winning.

When you count the number of people that have going to continuing education, those who took classes at UNLV but didn't graduate, and family of those who graduate, we are probably talking a number more in the 500K plus range or higher in total that would have some sort of connection to UNLV.

Reactions: UNLV Rebel1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT