ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS! ---- UNLV has plan in place to hire Rick Pitino

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
I can tell you Rebel fans that you may get your wish to land Pitino. and Rick Pitino might get his wish and coach UNLV once again.

I was told a few days ago that UNLV officials were having meetings last week and I thought it was going to be about narrowing the choice and put together a schedule starting next week on coaching finalists and how they were to land one of them. But I was told and can confirm from multiple sources (one being a big fish at UNLV who I am very close with) has told me that UNLV has 1 plan in place and they are going all in with everyone to land Rick Pitino.

I was also told that Pitino has told Louisville that he is probably going to step down as coach. But I do not think that is going to happen anytime soon. What I have heard is that Pitino may have been tipped about UNLV coming after him next week that he will wait and see what the offer is and the plan UNLV has put forward.

UNLV has put together a plan regarding recruiting, arena, stadium, and conference news to entice Pitino to coach UNLV beginning in '16-17 season.

Stay tuned.

I was also told that Pitino has told Louisville that he is probably going to step down as coach. But I do not think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Do you mean you don't think he's going to leave Louisville any time soon? Or just that he's not going to be telling Louisville about it too soon?

Anyways, I really, really, really hope we land Pitino. This would be the biggest thing to happen for UNLV in a long, long time.

Dang it Westgate why are you doing this? I want to believe everything you say so badly. Patino, Satdium, Pac 14, I just can't do it anymore though. My Rebel heat has been broken too many times.

There are legs to the Pitino thing. There are also hoops to jump through.

There is a contingency plan in place should the Pitino thing not pan out.

Reactions: R3B3LS
Follow the buzzards, the crow flies at midnight.

What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees Up, up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

From an interesting article I saw today (http://louisvillesportslive.net/pitino-highly-likely-to-return-unlv/)...

An ESPN reporter talked to Pitino recently and asked if he was planning on leaving the Louisville program. He said: “I think anything’s possible. I doubt it. I don’t think it’s probable. I just was blindsided, disgusted and saddened by this whole thing."

When asked further, he simply said:
“I just said it’s highly likely that I’ll be back next season,” Pitino said.

So, if he's been in talks with UNLV and is seriously considering the move, why is he so confident in his answer the he'll be back at Louisville next season? Is he just BS'ing the media so they don't catch wind of any negotiations with UNLV? I actually liked it better when he was just avoiding any questions related to UNLV.

I don't know what to think anymore I'll just wait and see only time will tell

From an interesting article I saw today (http://louisvillesportslive.net/pitino-highly-likely-to-return-unlv/)...

An ESPN reporter talked to Pitino recently and asked if he was planning on leaving the Louisville program. He said: “I think anything’s possible. I doubt it. I don’t think it’s probable. I just was blindsided, disgusted and saddened by this whole thing."

So, if he's been in talks with UNLV and is seriously considering the move, why is he so confident in his answer the he'll be back at Louisville next season? Is he just BS'ing the media so they don't catch wind of any negotiations with UNLV? I actually liked it better when he was just avoiding any questions related to UNLV.
I wouldn't put too much credence in that one statement. I believe he was just trying to stave off fans speculation a bit. The whole rest of the article suggested to me that he would be leaving.

I wouldn't put too much credence in that one statement. I believe he was just trying to stave off fans speculation a bit. The whole rest of the article suggested to me that he would be leaving.

I hope you're right! If Pitino were to come to UNLV, it would be an absolute turning point for the program. This next month or so is sure going to be interesting.

note. I am not suggesting its a done deal. But UNLV is making their move following the last weekend of the season.

And have been told the plan and effort that is in place.

If Pitino is leaving Louisville and wants to coach next season. Can not see how he wouldn't be UNLV coach.

Also was told that Pitino has much respect for the UNLV program and was close to coming here before Louisville.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
Didn't Westgate say that the Pro hockey team to Vegas was a done deal as well? I would hope UNLV had a plan to go after Pitino if he was forced out of Louisville. A chance to land one of the elite coaches in college basketball; no brainier right.......

Pitino to UNLV has been speculated about since Rice was fired and the hookers errr exotic dancers performed at Louisville.

Man i hope this is true! If we land Pitino UNLV becomes a national power for sure! I just wonder if we don't get Pitino who is there second choice? Please no Pasternack!

I have a plan too but it involves a roofie, duck tape, and a trunk. Anyone know where I can get a hold of a roofie?

Reactions: RebelinWA

Would you quit your job before you were assured of the next one?

Who was the Saints coach who was fired for saying he'd love to coach at UW someday?

Would you quit your job before you were assured of the next one?

Haha. Yeah, I've done it! Sometimes a bad job is just not worth the headache and grief associated with it. There are things more important than money in life--but that's just me! But, that's beside the point. I get where you're coming from. I really, really hope to see RP at UNLV next season.

We're waiting for you to write a check to UNLV for ten million dollars. Let us know when the check is in the mail.

Said the NHLPA has been informed Vegas will have an expansion team. So Westgate was right again....now please be right about Pitino.
Well he said they have a plan to offer him. I wouldn't doubt that. Whether it will happen is another question entirely. A lot of people now seem to believe it won't happen. Not sure what info they have besides Vitales statement. As far as he is concerned I don't think Dick is privy to any more info. than he was when he said he had a better shot at becoming a sex symbol than Pitino coming to Vegas. That was months ago and he was clearly incorrect about Pitinos interest.

Said the NHLPA has been informed Vegas will have an expansion team. So Westgate was right again....now please be right about Pitino.
All he is doing is getting the info that is available to everyone if you look for it. The T-Mobile Arena wasn't built on a chance that it may get an NHL team. Pitino knows that there is interest as he has sent out feelers. I am calling him a troll. If h gives something that is really inside info I will apoligize but I don't think that will ever happen.

I don't even follow hockey and Vegas has been the leader in the race for quite awhile.

Last edited:
All he is doing is getting the info that is available to everyone if you look for it. The T-Mobile Arena wasn't built on a chance that it may get an NHL team. Pitino knows that there is interest as he has sent out feelers. I am calling him a troll. If h gives something that is really inside info I will apoligize but I don't think that will ever happen.
The "UNLV is down to four" was flat wrong. So was the Pitino stuff in general. Sure, it could still happen by some bail out, dumb luck miracle, but it never transpired the way the thread stated.

The "UNLV is down to four" was flat wrong. So was the Pitino stuff in general. Sure, it could still happen by some bail out, dumb luck miracle, but it never transpired the way the thread stated.
How can you say that for sure though. There are so many people involved and different narratives coming out that it could be true at least from the perspective of some.

Reactions: rebelluver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT