ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon McElroy commits - big body

We are going to have a team this year. 3 quality QBs. No Charles Williams but a committee of RB. A defense that is loaded with players. Yes, we lost of DC but we got the players still....I am pretty optimistic this year!

We are going to have a team this year. 3 quality QBs. No Charles Williams but a committee of RB. A defense that is loaded with players. Yes, we lost of DC but we got the players still....I am pretty optimistic this year!

I'm quietly optimistic...

I think there has been an upgrade in recruiting.

They play a lot of close games last year.

Majority of 'tougher' games are at home outside of Cal/Notre Dame obviously.

I put tougher in quotes because we are likely a W on most opponents message boards heading into every year.

Really need to handle Idaho State game one.

I'm talking 56-13 type drubbing...

This height/weight for us on the DL is rare. I hope this guy can contribute because if nothing else, he is on the “all airport” team on measurable‘s alone.

Sometimes you take fliers on guys who's tape may not be great but they have something, athleticism or height/weight combo etc...

Reactions: reagan21
This is an example of the kind of DL I would like to see in Scarlet and Gray. If this guy develops, we could see good things from our DL playing on Saturday nights. His measurables with some coaching and development and you got my attention!

I'm quietly optimistic...

I think there has been an upgrade in recruiting.

They play a lot of close games last year.

Majority of 'tougher' games are at home outside of Cal/Notre Dame obviously.

I put tougher in quotes because we are likely a W on most opponents message boards heading into every year.

Really need to handle Idaho State game one.

I'm talking 56-13 type drubbing...
I've lost count on how many times UNLV has choked the easy Week 1 'confidence builder game when it appeared they had made great recruiting strides over the offseason to build a talented team.

We hung around with some good teams last year...just couldn't close them with the W.

I don't want to give too big of a pat on the back to Arroyo who is on pace to be the losingest% coach in UNLV history (a lofty feat)...but he's been relentless on the recrutiing trail, he's plugged holes with the transfer portal and landed upper tier HS recruits with multiple P5 offers.

It will all come down to whether he brought in enough just enough beef for UNLV to survive in the all-important trenches in the Offensive/Defensive lines....but the offense and secondary is packed with playmakers to keep us in games. They will be fun to watch, quick strike offense and gameflipping interceptions galore.

I've lost count on how many times UNLV has choked the easy Week 1 'confidence builder game when it appeared they had made great recruiting strides over the offseason to build a talented team.

We hung around with some good teams last year...just couldn't close them with the W.

I don't want to give too big of a pat on the back to Arroyo who is on pace to be the losingest% coach in UNLV history (a lofty feat)...but he's been relentless on the recrutiing trail, he's plugged holes with the transfer portal and landed upper tier HS recruits with multiple P5 offers.

It will all come down to whether he brought in enough just enough beef for UNLV to survive in the all-important trenches in the Offensive/Defensive lines....but the offense and secondary is packed with playmakers to keep us in games. They will be fun to watch, quick strike offense and gameflipping interceptions galore.
It’s the worst. Slight expectations and they ate immediately crushed out of the gate. It’s happened so many times. I still remember the gimme game vs Howard.

It’s the worst. Slight expectations and they ate immediately crushed out of the gate. It’s happened so many times. I still remember the gimme game vs Howard.
It really is dumbfounding how a program with a culture of defeat as bad as UNLV, with coaching staff on the hotseat every other year...and no matter how few games they won the season before, the team STILL thinks somehow that they can just 'show-up' to a game against a 'lesser' opponent and half-ass their way to victory.

Been waiting for UNLV Football to play like they have a chip on their shoulder for a looooooong time.

Yes. That was awful. A year or two before that they only beat N Arizona by 1 I think. It doesn’t have to be 80-8 like it was last time against Idaho St, but when you only beat NAU by 1 or lose to Howard or E Washington (regardless of how good they are), you just aren’t going to recover from that. Especially at UNLV where we‘ve had what, 2 winning seasons the past 30 years or so?

EDIT: 3 winning seasons in 30 years, though Horton’s ‘94 team is near approaching 30 years ago. That is absolutely dumbfounding to think about. 1 winning season per decade. Awesome. Just Awesome…

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Yes. That was awful. A year or two before that they only beat N Arizona by 1 I think. It doesn’t have to be 80-8 like it was last time against Idaho St, but when you only beat NAU by 1 or lose to Howard or E Washington (regardless of how good they are), you just aren’t going to recover from that. Especially at UNLV where we‘ve had what, 2 winning seasons the past 30 years or so?

EDIT: 3 winning seasons in 30 years, though Horton’s ‘94 team is near approaching 30 years ago. That is absolutely dumbfounding to think about. 1 winning season per decade. Awesome. Just Awesome…

It's been....Bad...

Thought Sanford was starting to figure it out year four, team backed into 5-7 year 5 and he was toast.

Hauck got to a bowl year 4..But it was a senior laden team. Fell back to earth next year.

Sanchez had a decent trajectory, improving win total first three years. Years 4-5 team stagnated at 4-8..

Everything is in place to succeed (facility/stadium)..

Still lack that big booster...

Anything less than 5-7 and Arroyo likely gone. (And that 5-7 better include a win over Reno, and no blowout conference losses).

Lack of resources can't be an excuse anymore. At least not to the level it was for Hauck and Sanford and to a lesser degree Sanchez..

Last edited:
Go FCS (Big Sky). You think that's potatoes, take a look at their football facilities, esp. Montana. Matches anything Fertitta Football Complex has to offer. It's clear UNLV can be competitive only at the FCS level. At least they can establish winning records & play for a national championship in FCS. I've been on this board at least 10 years & it's the same story every year. This thread could have been written 10, even 15 yrs. ago.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
Go FCS (Big Sky). You think that's potatoes, take a look at their football facilities, esp. Montana. Matches anything Fertitta Football Complex has to offer. It's clear UNLV can be competitive only at the FCS level. At least they can establish winning records & play for a national championship in FCS. I've been on this board at least 10 years & it's the same story every year. This thread could have been written 10, even 15 yrs. ago.

I could copy and paste every post you have ever written for the past 10 years.

It's the same thing.

If UNLV goes FCS in football the program is dead. Period end of story. You will not draw enough people for games against Sacramento State or Portland State, regardless of how well UNLV performs...

Add in that few FCS programs travel well enough to make up for monetary difference.

End the program or continue to try. Because a drop to FCS would kill the program in this town.

This isn't Montana where the Griz are the only show in town.

We have NFL, NHL, WNBA and looking more and more like MLB. Nobody will care about FCS football.

People will pony up to pay and see Iowa State or ASU or UCLA come to town. They will not do that for the Weber States of the world.

You are also forgetting a drop to FCS in football likely means UNLV would be forced out of the MWC and all sports would likely suffer...

It makes zero sense to move to FCS financially.

As for facilities, I would put up the Fertitta complex up against anything in the MWC and it's in line with some P5.

You are cherry picking one or two particularly successful FCS programs.

The vast majority don't have anything resembling the Fertitta complex.

Few of them have anything as nice as the Mendenhall center (those that are D1 in basketball).

Few if any have million dollar baseball facilities..

Last edited:
I could copy and paste every post you have ever written for the past 10 years.

It's the same thing.

If UNLV goes FCS in football the program is dead. Period end of story. You will not draw enough people for games against Sacramento State or Portland State, regardless of how well UNLV performs...

Add in that few FCS programs travel well enough to make up for monetary difference.

End the program or continue to try. Because a drop to FCS would kill the program in this town.

This isn't Montana where the Griz are the only show in town.

We have NFL, NHL, WNBA and looking more and more like MLB. Nobody will care about FCS football.

People will pony up to pay and see Iowa State or ASU or UCLA come to town. They will not do that for the Weber States of the world.

You are also forgetting a drop to FCS in football likely means UNLV would be forced out of the MWC and all sports would likely suffer...

It makes zero sense to move to FCS financially.

As for facilities, I would put up the Fertitta complex up against anything in the MWC and it's in line with some P5.

You are cherry picking one or two particularly successful FCS programs.

The vast majority don't have anything resembling the Fertitta complex.

Few of them have anything as nice as the Mendenhall center (those that are D1 in basketball).

Few if any have million dollar baseball facilities..
Stop it.

you’re making too much sense.

I will not argue the post by Bull. Absolutely true. I also will not attack a person for pitching a return to FCS. It cannot ever work again. Everything has changed.

But, it is fun to think back to when UNLV was FCS. Also known as the only years the Rebels were a winning program.
Crowds today would not appear for FCS. But, in those days, 20,000-fan crowds were common.
The Grape loved the Rebs.
Nobody wants to see Jackson State, but it was fun to check the (then Div. II) rankiings to see UNLV listed. And to go to the playoffs.
When a 6-6 record was enough to get a coach fired.

It is not those days. Those who were there remember. The city, the fans, UNLV. Everything has changed. We can't go back again. There is a lesson there.

I will not argue the post by Bull. Absolutely true. I also will not attack a person for pitching a return to FCS. It cannot ever work again. Everything has changed.

But, it is fun to think back to when UNLV was FCS. Also known as the only years the Rebels were a winning program.
Crowds today would not appear for FCS. But, in those days, 20,000-fan crowds were common.
The Grape loved the Rebs.
Nobody wants to see Jackson State, but it was fun to check the (then Div. II) rankiings to see UNLV listed. And to go to the playoffs.
When a 6-6 record was enough to get a coach fired.

It is not those days. Those who were there remember. The city, the fans, UNLV. Everything has changed. We can't go back again. There is a lesson there.

He does it every year, sometimes multiple times within a season.

There's been too much recent investment into the football program to drop to FCS.

Look, I love baseball. I don't however love it enough to buy season tickets to the Aviators..I'll catch a game here and there. Will buy season tickets to the As if they come here.

Love hockey. Will pay for season tix for Golden Knights. Will catch an occasional Silver Knights game.

Point being, as bad as UNLV has been, and it's been bad, I'll buy season tix to watch D1 programs...They drop to FCS, I'm really not interested in a home schedule of Sac State, Portland State, Weber State, NAU, Idaho State, Montana State. Sure I might drop some cash to see North Dakota State game if they came to town but not shelling out money to watch an FCS schedule...

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone in terms of long time season ticket holders following suit..

He's been presented all of this numerous times...

As I wrote, I agree with your points, Bull.
Mine was that there was a time...
That can never return.
Don't let a poster get to you. We have posters who write every day about the old days.
I can look backward, but I prefer looking ahead.

As I wrote, I agree with your points, Bull.
Mine was that there was a time...
That can never return.
Don't let a poster get to you. We have posters who write every day about the old days.
I can look backward, but I prefer looking ahead.

Agreed.

There is no going back at this point. When all there was in town was UNLV, FCS level opposition was enough. Now, even with 10x the population it was hard to get 25k plus to a game unless we played Wisconsin. I think UNLV avg around 20k for games...(And that might be high)

That probably drops in half if they moved to FCS...

UNLV was a winning D1 program for the first half dozen years until Maxson took care of that problem! A few years later he tossed in screwing over the basketball program as a bonus! The nice thing is it will only take 1-2 decent UNLV football teams to open the flood gates for the program! The bad news, it hasn't happened in almost 40 years as of yet!

The Rebels did win fairly well during the Tony Knap days, when they were independent. From 1982, when they joined the PCAA, they had Harvey Hyde's one 7-4 year and the bowl season (before the wins were erased) of 11-2.
Other than that, they did what they have done statistically for those nearly 40 years. Lose.

We complain constantly about a decade of poor hoops.
40 years of hoping for at least mediocrity in football.
Don't worry. If Arroyo doesn't win this year, we can get somebody who will. Again.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The Rebels did win fairly well during the Tony Knap days, when they were independent. From 1982, when they joined the PCAA, they had Harvey Hyde's one 7-4 year and the bowl season (before the wins were erased) of 11-2.
Other than that, they did what they have done statistically for those nearly 40 years. Lose.

We complain constantly about a decade of poor hoops.
40 years of hoping for at least mediocrity in football.
Don't worry. If Arroyo doesn't win this year, we can get somebody who will. Again.

Play meaningful games in late November.

By that I mean be 4-4 (or better) and actually fighting for bowl eligibility.

In the last 38 years, the Rebels have won 6 games 3 times. More than 6, another 3 times.
Remember 2013? 7 wins. The only time they have won 6 or more since 2000.
But, somehow six wins this year should be, what?

I have watched every damn UNLV football team. In person. From Ireland to Arroyo.
I want the team to win. Battered fan? Yep. But, a realist.

Grouchy old farts can seem crotchety, even when they don't mean to be.

Funny thing, every year I go to Rebel football and basketball games.
I appreciate the coaches that try to win. Even though my patience runs thin, sometimes.

I truly appreciate the players, who almost always are recruited to play here, work in the classrooms, practice hard, and give their best in games.

They're not perfect. Neither am I. But, thanks to them, my son and I can enjoy going to games.
That's more important than the score.
And, sometimes, the teams even win.

Reactions: Sonny44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT