ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon McCoy

Rebel3423

All American
Dec 11, 2010
The last 5 Mock Drafts I have looked at don't even have McCoy being drafted now. What a shame. Who is advising these young players to leave the Rebels early before they are ready. Bennett went 1 but let's not kid ourselves...he wasn't ready. Zimmerman left early and is no longer in the league and now McCoy may not get drafted. The league needs to fix the rule where you can go right out of high school but if you enroll in college you must wait 3 years after your high school graduation just like football. Too many young kids getting their heads filled with unrealistic dreams before they are ready

Isn't the worst case scenario is he takes out a student loan, gets a degree, then gets a job? That's what working class people do. I get that by making the decision he made he passed on free education and (more important to some people) did not continue their athletic pursuits in college.

I can see the rebuttal "No, the worst case scenario is that if he stays, he gets better and makes it to the NBA." And to that I say impossible to determine.

Just an observation.

Most kids are dreaming about the NBA, very small percentage will make it, to me, if kid thinks he good enough out of HS, go to NBA and that's it, live with the decision you make, it's called life. Everyone wants to make athletes so special, how many of my co-workers have student loans out of the wazzu it's not funny, they went to college got their degree then moved on to job then got masters degree. It's become a joke how big athletics have become, let the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL take care of these kids outside of HS, let them set up leagues and if kid wants to go to college great, if not I wish them all well.

Isn't the worst case scenario is he takes out a student loan, gets a degree, then gets a job? That's what working class people do. I get that by making the decision he made he passed on free education and (more important to some people) did not continue their athletic pursuits in college.

I can see the rebuttal "No, the worst case scenario is that if he stays, he gets better and makes it to the NBA." And to that I say impossible to determine.

Just an observation.

It's not really about what the worst case scenario is. It's more about what would improve the chances for a better case scenario. If McCoy stays then he gets better and the Rebels are better as well. In his case, with not a lot of interest from the NBA, this would work out better for both him and UNLV. He stays an extra year and sees if the NBA scouts are breaking down his door or if there's still very little interest. If still not a lot of interest, he stays another year or two. By the end of college, if he gets drafted he makes millions of dollars and raises UNLV's profile. If he doesn't, worst case scenario, he gets a free college degree. If McCoy stays, it's better for everyone, especially himself.

If you can get the money then I understand totally. But ... why kids don’t listen to the NBA experts that tell these kids they are not ready boggles my mind. Instead they listen to their so called friends who just want to jump on the money train. The Martin kid from up north made a really smart decision to go back to school in my opinion. And it makes them a better team now.

Reactions: TimothyC3

Just an observation.
Yea Monsterjam could you imagine if some 7'0 new guy comes bye your office and ask to go to lunch? Question is do you pick up the tab? McCoy would be tabbed a loser and second guessed all of his life if he does not make it.

All these UNLV busts in the NBA are raising our profile..

Yea Monsterjam could you imagine if some 7'0 new guy comes bye your office and ask to go to lunch? Question is do you pick up the tab?

tumblr_p5oqqwoPzh1rwpuwqo3_540.gif

Reactions: RebelScrub
f you can get the money then I understand totally. But ... why kids don’t listen to the NBA experts that tell these kids they are not ready boggles my mind. Instead they listen to their so called friends who just want to jump on the money train. The Martin kid from up north made a really smart decision to go back to school in my opinion. And it makes them a better team now.

What a disappointing day for McCoy, and by extension, the Rebels.

When we played the Wildcats last year, he played Ayton to a virtual standstill. Okay, that’s a bit of hyperbole, but it wasn’t much of a stretch to envision that the two high-school buddies could’ve gone very high in the draft.

But here we are, with Andre going #1, and Brandon having fallen off a cliff. I wish he would have swallowed his pride and returned to improve his defense, and his overall work ethic. Not only for UNLV’s chances to become a better team, but for the young man’s mental health, as well. I bear him no ill will.

It’s got to be depressing for him to watch his peers getting their names called, as they become overnight millionaires. I know he mentioned in his bio, that he didn’t wish to be defined by his basketball talents, but I’m not buying it.

Maybe he’ll land in the D-league, or overseas, and he’ll succeed in resurrecting his career. I honestly hope he does. They’ll be plenty of time in his young life to explore other avenues. At 20, now is the time to prove himself as a basketball player.

Good luck, Brandon…
NBA-Draft-2.jpg

Go Rebels!

f you can get the money then I understand totally. But ... why kids don’t listen to the NBA experts that tell these kids they are not ready boggles my mind. Instead they listen to their so called friends who just want to jump on the money train. The Martin kid from up north made a really smart decision to go back to school in my opinion. And it makes them a better team now.

What a disappointing day for McCoy, and by extension, the Rebels.

When we played the Wildcats last year, he played Ayton to a virtual standstill. Okay, that’s a bit of hyperbole, but it wasn’t much of a stretch to envision that the two high-school buddies could’ve gone very high in the draft.

But here we are, with Andre going #1, and Brandon having fallen off a cliff. I wish he would have swallowed his pride and returned to improve his defense, and his overall work ethic. Not only for UNLV’s chances to become a better team, but for the young man’s mental health, as well. I bear him no ill will.

It’s got to be depressing for him to watch his peers getting their names called, as they become overnight millionaires. I know he mentioned in his bio, that he didn’t wish to be defined by his basketball talents, but I’m not buying it.

Maybe he’ll land in the D-league, or overseas, and he’ll succeed in resurrecting his career. I honestly hope he does. They’ll be plenty of time in his young life to explore other avenues. At 20, now is the time to prove himself as a basketball player.

Good luck, Brandon…
NBA-Draft-2.jpg

Go Rebels!

He’s done. Nobody that bad defensively will even see the sidelines on a professional court.

He’ll be fine wherever life takes him because he’s not a bad kid.

Good luck to him and thanks for putting on a Rebel Jersey.

Reactions: TimothyC3
if he can get paid 6 figures to play in europe or someting - i think that would be an amazing experience. he didn't seem that hungry so im not sure we'll see him in the nba. maybe he can get on at the car dealership eventually and make some commercials or someting

I know a lot of people are down on McCoy, some because of his work ethic, some because he left and some because MM recruited him here. My question would be where would we have been without his points and and rebounds last year? 8 wins? 9 wins?

Juiston would have been completely taken out and game planned for without McCoy to get a lot of attention from the opposing team. Glad we had him here last year but am looking forward to what is coming down the road.

I know a lot of people are down on McCoy, some because of his work ethic, some because he left and some because MM recruited him here. My question would be where would we have been without his points and and rebounds last year? 8 wins? 9 wins?

I wish he had come back. We were better with him, and probably would have been next year. It was also great seeing his mom in Logan at the USU game. He could still make some money and do well in Euro or Asia. It's a shame and wish him good luck down the road.

That’s interesting. That tells us that Brandon really does want to be an NBA player. But Scrub is right. Unless he miraculously starts to play some defense, hell never see the floor.

But defense isn’t like natural talent or being blessed with 7 feet of height. Its all work. And who knows, maybe McCoy will wake up and realize that he needs to put in the sweat, if he wants a shot. He can score, and he can rebound, so he’s two-thirds of the way there. But that last third is a bitch.

Will he mature to the point that he’ll be willing to put in the hours? Who knows. But the summer league is a good place to start. If he can turn some heads there, maybe…

maxresdefault.jpg

Go Rebels!

That’s interesting. That tells us that Brandon really does want to be an NBA player. But Scrub is right. Unless he miraculously starts to play some defense, hell never see the floor.

But defense isn’t like natural talent or being blessed with 7 feet of height. Its all work. And who knows, maybe McCoy will wake up and realize that he needs to put in the sweat, if he wants a shot. He can score, and he can rebound, so he’s two-thirds of the way there. But that last third is a bitch.

Will he mature to the point that he’ll be willing to put in the hours? Who knows. But the summer league is a good place to start. If he can turn some heads there, maybe…

maxresdefault.jpg

Go Rebels!
Sadly, we’ve seen scores of kids that don’t wake up and get it. The younger they are, the better shot that they might though I’d still consider it remote. Dozens of coaches have had hands on by this stage, if none of them could reach them so they could “get it”, it’s on the kid. But typically, if they aren’t a go getter in college, you’re not going to see some magical wand wave and make them do a 180.

I just can't fathom the thought process going on in the minds of these kids when they're marginal NBA draft prospects at best. Don't sign with an agent and give yourself a chance to improve your stock next year! Actually I think the stupid rule should be changed so players can return to college if they don't get drafted despite signing with agents. Who's the idiot who thought up of that one?

I have no doubt that rule has a lot to do with multi-millionaire college coaches who are the ones who are the big winners from college basketball. As for the players, they don't need to hire an agent prior to the draft, but agree that they should be able to back out if the draft doesn't work for them. But, only under the condition that the team has a spot still left for them, if no position is left, they should have the choice of going to another school without sitting out a season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT