ADVERTISEMENT

Boise versus Oregon

bcvegaspt2

Starter
Silver Member
Jul 11, 2024
Oregon beat Idaho 24-14. Boise won at Georgia Southern 56-45.

Unless Oregon didn't bring their varsity team to the game, then they are more beatable than ever. Not that Boise showed that they are world beaters. Both are hyped based on their names versus their products on the field. Oregon is currently favored -19.5. I don't see them winning by that margin, if they win.

I think that Boise, should they win, will become the top G5 and ranked about 18.

Unless Oregon didn't bring their varsity team to the game, then they are more beatable than ever. Not that Boise showed that they are world beaters. Both are hyped based on their names versus their products on the field. Oregon is currently favored -19.5. I don't see them winning by that margin, if they win.

I think that Boise, should they win, will become the top G5 and ranked about 18.
Definitely pulling for BSU but based on how their defense looked I think Oregon will put up 45.

The way BSU played defense in the last game showed me that the only way they win is if they score a crap load of points! My guess is that they will need to score at least 40 points or more to have a chance.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I’ll be at this game. I watched the entire Oregon vs Idaho game. Score was a little misleading (stats tell a different story) but Oregon didn’t look great on the OLine where they are replacing some key guys. Defense was good.

First Down Oregon 31-10
Total yards 487-217
Time of possession 39:15-20;15
Turnovers Oregon won 2-1

Dylan Gabriel was 41-49 for 380 yards.

Oregon had trouble running the ball which they usually don’t

I think they beat Boise by at least 28.

Last edited:
Oregon have never beaten Boise? That cannot be right
I think it's 3-0 vs Oregon for the Broncos.

I think Kellen Moore did it twice and Rypien once

I’ll be at this game. I watched the entire Oregon vs Idaho game. Score was a little misleading (stats tell a different story) but Oregon didn’t look great on the OLine where they are replacing some key guys. Defense was good.

First Down Oregon 31-10
Total yards 487-217
Time of possession 39:15-20;15
Turnovers Oregon won 2-1

Dylan Gabriel was 41-49 for 380 yards.

Oregon had trouble running the ball which they usually don’t

I think they beat Boise by at least 28.
Good info

Why would that benefit us if Boise beats them? If anything, that would make it much harder for UNLV to make it into the CFP final 12.
Not if BSU is ranked in the top 25 along with UNLV also ranked, and UNLV walks away with the W! The higher the ranking the better for UNLV getting into the playoff. Losing to BSU ranked or not would not be a good loss.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Not if BSU is ranked in the top 25 along with UNLV also ranked, and UNLV walks away with the W! The higher the ranking the better for UNLV getting into the playoff. Losing to BSU ranked or not would not be a good loss.
BSU beating OR will improves the MWC overall. If UNLV beat BSU twice this year with their OR win resume' would do wonder.

It's that same old basketball argument... I don't root for any other school in our conference despite it helping us. I don't want anyone else sharing our spotlight or shine in the national light and Boise beating Oregon would definitely take all those nice articles we've seen this week and trash them while crowning Boise...

I wouldn't like Boise winning in general because I think they have been getting too much credit. Them winning would justify those flawed viewpoints counting on name recognition alone, without acknowledging a very inexperience head coach, who's majority of experience was under one of the worst Boise coaches in recent memory. Being a DC for a defensive minded head coach. Hard to say how much say he truly had in the defense.
A defense that now looks bad btw.

BUT

Increasing our opponents ranking only helps up when we play them, win or lose really. We know we are playing Boise at least once. Beating them when they are ranked only helps our case. Especially if we happen to lose at Kansas, which is the more likely scenario.

So for me, my heart will probably be rooting for Oregon. ( I do have family that are big Duck fans). Also I don't want to reward the media for being lazy. But my brain will be rooting for the Broncos.

So I am going to feel nauseous either way.

Not if UNLV beats Boise...
Still would depend on the overall body of work. We don't get an auto bid from the MWC, but instead, the highest ranked G5 school by whatever the playoff committee's criteria is would get in. The more losses some of these other top schools have, the better our chances to get in.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Yes, The MWC doesnt get an autobid so winning outright doesnt guarantee it but... The reality is there will likely be the inevitable lower tier G5 that goes undefeated. Seems to be happening more and more, but their poor league schedule will hurt them in the playoff rankings. That's why the MWC is the best positioned G5 conference.. there's a lot of name recognition in the conference and 3-4 top tier teams that will carry each other vs 1 really good team and a bunch of mediocre and bad teams.. Thats the difference between the CFP and past years NY6 selections. Its why the MWC gets 5 at large bids to the dance vs the mid-majors that go 30-2 but lose in their tournament and dont make it.
That said, screw Boise and their over-hype train. Losing to Oregon is expected so it wont hurt them terribly in sense of our SOS, but winning makes it that much harder for us to steal that spotlight and "Cinderella" story

Yes, The MWC doesnt get an autobid so winning outright doesnt guarantee it but... The reality is there will likely be the inevitable lower tier G5 that goes undefeated. Seems to be happening more and more, but their poor league schedule will hurt them in the playoff rankings. That's why the MWC is the best positioned G5 conference.. there's a lot of name recognition in the conference and 3-4 top tier teams that will carry each other vs 1 really good team and a bunch of mediocre and bad teams.. Thats the difference between the CFP and past years NY6 selections. Its why the MWC gets 5 at large bids to the dance vs the mid-majors that go 30-2 but lose in their tournament and dont make it.
That said, screw Boise and their over-hype train. Losing to Oregon is expected so it wont hurt them terribly in sense of our SOS, but winning makes it that much harder for us to steal that spotlight and "Cinderella" story
Exactly. That's kind of what I was getting at. And even if UNLV and BSU are tied in terms of qualifications, my gut tells me that they would pick BSU due to their history, and higher viewership historically

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Exactly. That's kind of what I was getting at. And even if UNLV and BSU are tied in terms of qualifications, my gut tells me that they would pick BSU due to their history, and higher viewership historically
A tie is not really possible since they would likely meet in the MWC championship game which would decide who goes unless the winner had a bad record and got lucky to win the championship.

A tie is not really possible since they would likely meet in the MWC championship game which would decide who goes unless the winner had a bad record and got lucky to win the championship.
I mean a relative 'tie' in terms of their rankings. Hypothetically, say they go undefeated other than against UNLV, and UNLV goes undefeated other than against BSU. We play them twice, each winning a game. Who has the better resume? If they beat Oregon, but we beat Kansas? Similarly if we both lose those games

I mean a relative 'tie' in terms of their rankings. Hypothetically, say they go undefeated other than against UNLV, and UNLV goes undefeated other than against BSU. We play them twice, each winning a game. Who has the better resume? If they beat Oregon, but we beat Kansas? Similarly if we both lose those games
Whoever wins the championship game will get more weight. It might even be a requirement. Isn't the highest ranked G5 conference champion, or is it highest ranked G5 team.

Either way the Champion would get more weight. Unless we go undefeated until the MW championship game and Boise loses to us, Oregon, and maybe one other team in the regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebel1986
Yeah, the conference champ will get a better nod... even if we went undefeated into the title game, I still think theyd take the conference champ. Wed have played the best season ever and still end up in the New Mexico bowl or something pathetic

Whoever wins the championship game we get more weight. It might even be a requirement. Isn't the highest ranked G5 conference champion, or is it highest ranked G5 team.
y
Either way the Champion would get more weight. Unless we go undefeated until the MW championship game and Boise loses to us, Oregon, and maybe one other team in the regular season.
So far, the only G5 team that beat P4 team is UNLV. Unless Boise beat OR tomorrow, they have no argument. F* Liberty, they will not play anybody.

Well there isn't going to be a blowout. If BSU loses at the very end maybe it is the rare loss that elevates a team into the rankings? OU can't stop Jeanty he is torching them for 183 yards and 3 TDs' so far BSU up 34-27 with 7 minutes left in the game.

Still would depend on the overall body of work. We don't get an auto bid from the MWC, but instead, the highest ranked G5 school by whatever the playoff committee's criteria is would get in. The more losses some of these other top schools have, the better our chances to get in.

There's truth to that. It really comes down to handle your own business.

Hard to say this early in the season. UO looked unimpressive in game one. Then this game. The offense looked good, but Boise's defense looked bad. Against a Georgia Southern team that barely bat UNR (which may be slightly better than awful this year).

I think it is safe to say that UO is not a top 10 team right now.

Jeanty is legit. BSU's offense is strong. That is clear.

Hard to say this early in the season. UO looked unimpressive in game one. Then this game. The offense looked good, but Boise's defense looked bad. Against a Georgia Southern team that barely bat UNR (which may be slightly better than awful this year).

I think it is safe to say that UO is not a top 10 team right now.

Jeanty is legit. BSU's offense is strong. That is clear.
Boise’s offense is strong because Jeanty is a beast. He is what is making their offense go. Slow him down or if he starts dealing with injuries, and Boise will be in trouble.

Is Boise's offense strong or is it Jeanty dependent? I mean, no disrespect to him as a bell cow RB hes everything you want in a RB, but you take away the 76 yard TD run and their offense was bad... I get he's already got 3 70 yard TD runs, and 9 TDs overall, but if you contain him and don't let him break off 70 yard runs, is Madsen going to beat you?
Not to say Oregon having 2 kicks returned for TDs didn't save them, but they did a pretty good job containing the run game till his long run in the 4th

Boise is HEAVILY dependent on Jeanty.
Agree. Run game, not even just Jeanty. Sire Ganes will be legit, too.

I don't know why they took the ball out of Jeanty's hands in their last offensive drive. All night long, Oregon was winning the 1 on 1 battle vs BSU receivers. Not to say those WRs won't be capable in the MWC, but man.... Koetter giving me pause.

Six games between us and BSU. The cry for Nelson is getting louder in Boise. I mean, he's had his camp from the beginning, but it's growing. Callers were bitching up a storm on the post-game call-in show. There's no denying Malachi's arm talent. He's also taller than the sub-6ft Madsen. That well-known shorty, Kellen Moore, always used to say he didn't have to see over the lineman, just between them. Madsen isn't that good at that, and it shows. Malachi just needs to get command of the offense, and he very well may by the time the Broncos come to town. Madsen may still be the starter then, but I wouldn't count on it.

Unless Boise loses again I don't see how they can just swap out starting QBs baring injury... moves like that seem significant and could really derail a team

Six games between us and BSU. The cry for Nelson is getting louder in Boise. I mean, he's had his camp from the beginning, but it's growing. Callers were bitching up a storm on the post-game call-in show. There's no denying Malachi's arm talent. He's also taller than the sub-6ft Madsen. That well-known shorty, Kellen Moore, always used to say he didn't have to see over the lineman, just between them. Madsen isn't that good at that, and it shows. Malachi just needs to get command of the offense, and he very well may by the time the Broncos come to town. Madsen may still be the starter then, but I wouldn't count on it.
Sound like a zoo over there in Boise. It wasn't Madsen play that cost them the Oregon game. It was coaches. Madsen is solid. If he wants to transfer to UNLV...I would love it.

Reactions: reagan21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT