ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton

Gonna miss that stoner goofball. There just aren't many sports commentators with much personality(that aren't just brash and annoying) these days. RIP.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
He was one of a kind, back in the day I sat next to him for a UNLV game spent the half game talking about Tark and UNLV getting screwed by the NCAA.

At his peak he was as good of a center whoever played. Kareem couldn’t stop him when they met in the playoffs.

He wasn’t every ones cup of tea as an announcer, but I loved him and his unique style. UNLV in the Maui invitational was great with him announcing against Indiana. He loved Ben Carter in that game.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Remember watching him on the Clippers and mostly his time with the Celtics. Great player always liked watching him. As an announcer... I will just say he was a much better player than announcer.
RIP wish his family the best

Reactions: butta1231
One of a kind. He will be missed. Hard to imagine his career if he was injury free. I loved his wacky color commentary.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
When Bill was young and healthy, like back in the Blazer glory days, it could be argued that he was the best all-around center in the game, and that was back when you couldn't win without a top-notch center. Names like Kareem, Lanier, Unseld, Cowens, Malone , and Gilmore come to mind, Wilt and Willis Reed having recently retired. A young Arvydas Sabonis compares, as both could score, rebound and were excellent passers, but nagging injuries hastened their declines. There were even high school game days that I would listen to the Grateful Dead, looking for any edge, that was the influence he peddled! Now, may he rest in peace, along with his beloved Conference of Champions.

I would watch games that I normally wouldn’t just to listen to him talk about something that I didn’t think I ever needed to know, but after he was done realized that I definitely did.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
In my younger days, I absolutely hated everything UCLA . Bill Walton was the guy who changed my mindset about them. And to an extent, Ed O’Bannon.

Bill was probably drinking the electric kool aid as well when he was calling games later on, now that I think about it. I’ve never dropped acid. Heard both good and bad.

I’ve never seen any of his footage at UCLA, him waving his towel for the Celtics on the sidelines is about all I know about the guy.

Here is my favorite clip of him. Him at Tark’s basketball hall of fame speech.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
In my younger days, I absolutely hated everything UCLA . Bill Walton was the guy who changed my mindset about them. And to an extent, Ed O’Bannon.

Bill was probably drinking the electric kool aid as well when he was calling games later on, now that I think about it. I’ve never dropped acid. Heard both good and bad.

I’ve never seen any of his footage at UCLA, him waving his towel for the Celtics on the sidelines is about all I know about the guy.

Here is my favorite clip of him. Him at Tark’s basketball hall of fame speech.

Scrub, l was in college when Walton and the Trailblazers won the NBA title. Before injury BW was the real deal. Very athletic and ran the floor like he was 6’5”. The Trailblazers were loaded with Lionel Hollins, Bobby Gross, Maurice Lucas (the original enforcer) and Dave Twardsic. It’s my recollection they defeated Philly and Dr. J in the finals.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Scrub, l was in college when Walton and the Trailblazers won the NBA title. Before injury BW was the real deal. Very athletic and ran the floor like he was 6’5”. The Trailblazers were loaded with Lionel Hollins, Bobby Gross, Maurice Lucas (the original enforcer) and Dave Twardsic. It’s my recollection they defeated Philly and Dr. J in the finals.

Yikes, what a tremendous athlete. First footage I’ve seen of him like EVER.

You doing okay these days Timothy?

We need to do a CNNSI/aol board meetup one of these days. Maybe do a RebelNet live podcast and cover everyone’s voice if people wish to remain anonymous.

Yikes, what a tremendous athlete. First footage I’ve seen of him like EVER.

You doing okay these days Timothy?

We need to do a CNNSI/aol board meetup one of these days. Maybe do a RebelNet live podcast and cover everyone’s voice if people wish to remain anonymous.
Pre-injury BW was a tremendous athlete and very skilled. But for his foot issues and injuries that Portland team would have won more titles. Also, thanks for asking. I am doing well. The CNNSI/aol days in the infancy of the web were good times. A pre-game meet up during the season would be fun.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Yep lost the first two then four straight against the 76ers. They also had Sidney Wickes I believe (or he may have been traded that season). They swept the Lakers and Walton averaged like 20/15 plus he probably had close to double digit assists. He was Jokic before Jokic.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Pre-injury BW was a tremendous athlete and very skilled. But for his foot issues and injuries that Portland team would have won more titles. Also, thanks for asking. I am doing well. The CNNSI/aol days in the infancy of the web were good times. A pre-game meet up during the season would be fun.
Without a doubt they went 50-8 I think before Walton got hurt and then he never played a game for them again. We had season tickets the 1975 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT