ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Sanders

He was insane.

Payton was my favorite, loved Earl Campbell too. Bo was amazing. Payton and Sanders were similar Campbell and Bo similar.

It’s really hard to say “best”. The power guys were so battered while Payton and Sanders were more shaky, though Payton didn’t avoid contact much, Sanders did more of that but NOTHING like Emmett Smith who would hit the turf or sideline against a one legged punter.

But I’d probably say Sanders was “the best” to ever do it.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
He was insane.

Payton was my favorite, loved Earl Campbell too. Bo was amazing. Payton and Sanders were similar Campbell and Bo similar.

It’s really hard to say “best”. The power guys were so battered while Payton and Sanders were more shaky, though Payton didn’t avoid contact much, Sanders did more of that but NOTHING like Emmett Smith who would hit the turf or sideline against a one legged punter.

But I’d probably say Sanders was “the best” to ever do it.
Eric Dickerson deserves his name with those as well. Had he stayed with the Rams he would been maybe top 1-3 and probably broke the career rushing yards record.

Last edited:
Eric Dickerson deserves his name with those as well. Had he stayed with the Rams he would been maybe top 1-3 and probably broke the career rushing yards record.
Oh, there’s several other greats, Dickerson was strong, even Marcus Allen, Thurman … but I’d put Dickerson there.

The ankle breaking ability of Sanders was legendary.

Any running back that can produce 5+ seasons impresses the hell out of me.

There have been so many guys with 1 - 3 years of monster production who just fall off a cliff. Anybody remember Priest Holmes?

They take an absolute beating. Not just from running the ball but in pass protection

Derek Henry is a unicorn. You don't see guys his size that are that physical last as long as he has.

There have been so many guys with 1 - 3 years of monster production who just fall off a cliff. Anybody remember Priest Holmes?

They take an absolute beating. Not just from running the ball but in pass protection

Derek Henry is a unicorn. You don't see guys his size that are that physical last as long as he has.
Emmett was “smart” aiming for longevity. He went down like it was flag football. He always gave up a couple extra yards by heading OB or just hitting the turf. Smart, but I don’t like it. That’s what I love about the bruisers, it’s all out all the time. And then you take a guy like Payton, who wasn’t big, but he dished out some punishment especially for his size. But watching Bo and Earl, it was like Tyson going for the KO.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I was living in Seattle when Seahawks gave into fanbase pressure and extgended Shawn Alexander after his 6th season. He was coming off a monster year in 2005 where I believe he set the single season TD record for a RB and the Seahawks won the NFC and lost the SB (refs). Ownership didnt want to give him a contract but the backlash from the fans would have been intense.

"Alexander has agreed to re-sign with the Seattle Seahawks, agreeing to an eight-year contract worth $62 million. In terms of total money in the contract, it is the largest ever signed by a running back; $15 million is to be paid in the first year."

Check out his stats after that 2005 season. He did nothing in 3 seasons then was out of the league. This was the first RB I remember that got paid like he did and then fell off a cliff, I have to think this is what started the trend we see today with RB's not getting paid,

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I was living in Seattle when Seahawks gave into fanbase pressure and extgended Shawn Alexander after his 6th season. He was coming off a monster year in 2005 where I believe he set the single season TD record for a RB and the Seahawks won the NFC and lost the SB (refs). Ownership didnt want to give him a contract but the backlash from the fans would have been intense.

"Alexander has agreed to re-sign with the Seattle Seahawks, agreeing to an eight-year contract worth $62 million. In terms of total money in the contract, it is the largest ever signed by a running back; $15 million is to be paid in the first year."

Check out his stats after that 2005 season. He did nothing in 3 seasons then was out of the league. This was the first RB I remember that got paid like he did and then fell off a cliff, I have to think this is what started the trend we see today with RB's not getting paid,

Big part of it for sure.

I think anybody that's played fantasy football for the last 20 years remembers the run the Broncos had where every year they seemingly had a different running back churn out 1k yards.

Give me an A OL and a C RB and he'll likely out produce an A RB with a C OL.

There are difference makers at the RB position and exceptions obviously. But NFL GMs realize they can get similiar production out of 3rd round RBs with less financial commitment vs drafting them in the first round.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Big part of it for sure.

I think anybody that's played fantasy football for the last 20 years remembers the run the Broncos had where every year they seemingly had a different running back churn out 1k yards.

Give me an A OL and a C RB and he'll likely out produce an A RB with a C OL.

There are difference makers at the RB position and exceptions obviously. But NFL GMs realize they can get similiar production out of 3rd round RBs with less financial commitment vs drafting them in the first round.
Agree

Definitely, Priest was amazing for a short time. So was the other Larry Johnson. My favorite from that era (but couldn’t stay healthy) was Fred Taylor.

Not mentioned here yet but Ladanian has to be mentioned up there with the best…top 10 for sure.

Definitely, Priest was amazing for a short time. So was the other Larry Johnson. My favorite from that era (but couldn’t stay healthy) was Fred Taylor.

Not mentioned here yet but Ladanian has to be mentioned up there with the best…top 10 for sure.

Tomlinson yep.
Faulk yep. Arguably best all around back ever factoring his ability to catch the ball.

Fred Taylor was hall of fame talented but could not stay healthy.

I think it was Reggie White who said something like, "If I miss him the first time I know not to run after him since he's going to end up back here again during the same play (since he cuts, jukes, etc.).

Truly the Human Highlight Film (sorry to Dominique Wilkins)

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT