ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Odom

I think you're all nuts. he hasn't won conference yet let alone a bowl game. Hasn't beat a ranked team. No way an AD from P5 hires him now. Still a lot to prove.

He already had a P5 job. He was decent at Mizzou. Mizzou had to forfeit all wins from his first season I believe. Created a mess. Was/is well respected in the SEC as a DC. Did an amazing job as DC at Memphis.

He'll garner some interest for what he's done here at UNLV. Maybe not after this year but soon.

If Rebs run table and actually win the MWC and he gets them ranked you don't think that's going to raise some eyebrows?

UNLV is one bad quarter away from being 9-1. Had they beaten Fresno they likely would be right now.

Considering our history that's pretty impressive.

He already had a P5 job. He was decent at Mizzou. Mizzou had to forfeit all wins from his first season I believe. Created a mess. Was/is well respected in the SEC as a DC. Did an amazing job as DC at Memphis.

He'll garner some interest for what he's done here at UNLV. Maybe not after this year but soon.

If Rebs run table and actually win the MWC and he gets them ranked you don't think that's going to raise some eyebrows?

UNLV is one bad quarter away from being 9-1. Had they beaten Fresno they likely would be right now.

We love Coach Odom. What's not to love. But, no matter what he does this year he'll have a tough time getting a desired P4 job. It's incredibly hard to get one shot at a head coach P4 job. You're competing against every G5 coach, a few past P4 coaches, most every P4 assistant and a decent percentage of professional assistants. A number of P4 coaches have been hired twice and even three times for P4 jobs - but only after having big success at least once. He was fired from Missouri, hardly an SEC stalwart. He was doing well with that rebuild but it collapsed and he got the boot. Programs will take notice of that and an AD would be taking a big chance to hire him, even after huge success in G5. He may go ( he probably will go eventually ) , but it will take at least a couple of years of sustained success.

We love Coach Odom. What's not to love. But, no matter what he does this year he'll have a tough time getting a desired P4 job. It's incredibly hard to get one shot at a head coach P4 job. You're competing against every G5 coach, a few past P4 coaches, most every P4 assistant and a decent percentage of professional assistants. A number of P4 coaches have been hired twice and even three times for P4 jobs - but only after having big success at least once. He was fired from Missouri, hardly an SEC stalwart. He was doing well with that rebuild but it collapsed and he got the boot. Programs will take notice of that and an AD would be taking a big chance to hire him, even after huge success in G5. He may go ( he probably will go eventually ) , but it will take at least a couple of years of sustained success.
We will see... I'm not holding my breath.

There is a counter argument to the rebuild that he has done.

1-Easy schedule. We may end up with 2 wins over winning teams if we run the table. The MW as a whole is down this year. Fresno isn't as good as they were last season, SDSU sucks, Boise is down.
2- UNLV has advantages over other MW schools with facilities. We should be doing what we are doing, (one could argue)
3- Not a complete rebuild. He is heavily utilizing Arroyo's talent which had some top of the conferences classes.

Now we all know how hard it has been to win here. But looking on paper and pure objectively, then it may not pop as much.

Now if we win out, including the championship in impressive fashion. Then get a quality Pac 12 team, say Oregon State, and win there? Maybe it raises more eyebrows for this season. But that would be pretty late in the hiring cycle.

I think he decent success at Mizzou helps him. If he didn't have that already I don't think he is as strong of a candidate.

Personally I'm not sure he gets offered a job that will be worth it to him this season

There may be enough reasons to be skeptical enough for future employers. I am happy as a clam with him at the helm, but I think of the "also-ran" candidates in the P4-5, he would be down the list a little. Of course there are the hot coordinators, coaches like Bill O'Brien who had success at Penn State, who is an also ran than was promoted up to the NFL.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There is a counter argument to the rebuild that he has done.

1-Easy schedule. We may end up with 2 wins over winning teams if we run the table. The MW as a whole is down this year. Fresno isn't as good as they were last season, SDSU sucks, Boise is down.
2- UNLV has advantages over other MW schools with facilities. We should be doing what we are doing, (one could argue)
3- Not a complete rebuild. He is heavily utilizing Arroyo's talent which had some top of the conferences classes.

Now we all know how hard it has been to win here. But looking on paper and pure objectively, then it may not pop as much.

Now if we win out, including the championship in impressive fashion. Then get a quality Pac 12 team, say Oregon State, and win there? Maybe it raises more eyebrows for this season. But that would be pretty late in the hiring cycle.

I think he decent success at Mizzou helps him. If he didn't have that already I don't think he is as strong of a candidate.

Personally I'm not sure he gets offered a job that will be worth it to him this season

There may be enough reasons to be skeptical enough for future employers. I am happy as a clam with him at the helm, but I think of the "also-ran" candidates in the P4-5, he would be down the list a little. Of course there are the hot coordinators, coaches like Bill O'Brien who had success at Penn State, who is an also ran than was promoted up to the NFL.

I don't think he's leaving after one year.

Yes our schedule is weak. And he's winning and winning by margins he should.

I don't get this narrative he 'failed' at Mizzou. He was above .500. Go look at what was happening on the Mizzou campus. It was a complete mess.

Again I do not think he is gone after one year.

I do think ADs will kick the tires.

I think the biggest difference may be that being a HC at a P4 program means you HAVE to compete within a short amount of time for a National Championship. Thats the performance requirements. Its incredibly hard to crack that top 4-6 teams capable of doing it. So money is nice for 2 or 3 years and then bam, their canning you and moving on to the next G5 hotest coach or Georgia assistant who promises they can do what you didnt. Odom has already been in that position. Maybe he wants to come West, spend more time here and win a bunch of games. It goes against my theory that he was a 2-3 year rental(win a bunch of games, change program history forever, leave back to midwest roots...) , but maybe winning 9-10 games and competing for a championship in MW each year or better is exactly what he wants to do and hes got the coaching skill and ability to do so..

We always mock the east coast people for not following west coast athletics, but the absolutely crazy disimissal of Michigan State blows my mind. They have had a rough 2 years, for sure--but before that they went to 15 bowls in 17 years, were top 5 at some point in 5 of those years, another 3 years in the top 10, and spent time in the top 25 for 13 of those 17 years. They were paying 9.5 million a year for Mel Tucker, who obviously has been a bit of a disaster given what's transpired after his inaugural B1G coach of the year award. They have the finances and the booster backing to pay that again--especially if Tucker gets fired for cause. In B1G country, they are very clearly second echelon in the B1G with Wisconsin and Iowa (and below the first tier of OSU/UM/PSU).

I don't think that they're a threat to come after Barry Odom, right now they're trying to court Urban Meyer and going after him HARD, and from what the pundits around here are saying he's at least listening and hasn't given a firm no yet.

I think BO would be interested in the TAMU job, but I think they're going to be swinging at a lot higher level targets, I think Mississippi State is a job that will interest him if he can get an interview, as would Florida and South Carolina if those jobs come open as well. But I have the feeling that if Florida comes available, they're going to be swinging higher as well. And if Aranda is out at Baylor, I think they'll sniff around as well.

The only reason he’d be interested in the TAMU job is if he wants to retire early after an inevitable buyout of his contract.

They want to be in the conversation for national championships. No offense to Odom, but I’m not sure he’s THAT guy short or long term in that loaded SEC. There are like 3-4 coaches on planet earth who are in the running to win the SEC every year.

There are other jobs that will come calling and Odom will listen, but I agree with Bull…not after one season.

If any of the big dollar programs throw a chunk of change at BO, I'd think he'd go. A single contract by some of these schools would be life changing for BO if they decided they really wanted him. Look at what Texas A&M has done these past few years. Insane money. Michigan State, Florida, etc. A lot of those schools can offer enough money that we wouldn't be able to come close to matching. So if they offer, he'll likely go.

That said, certain coaches aren't all about the money either, nor the pressure that comes with coaching at T A&M, Michigan St, etc. So it depends on what he values and what his ultimate goals are. I'm sure he sees that it's much easier to win at a high level at a school like UNLV than it is at Missouri or Arkansas, where you're facing off against the SEC powers each week.

He could potentially stay here and become a legend in Vegas, forging his own empire in the desert...or, use this as a stepping stone to a HC job in a power conference.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I don't think he's leaving after one year.

Yes our schedule is weak. And he's winning and winning by margins he should.

I don't get this narrative he 'failed' at Mizzou. He was above .500. Go look at what was happening on the Mizzou campus. It was a complete mess.

Again I do not think he is gone after one year.

I do think ADs will kick the tires.
Yeah, without his Mizzou experience he is NOT a candidate for some of these jobs yet, The fact that he did decent there makes him one. It could be argued that he was fired prematurely.

But I don't think he leaves us after one year. I believe he may be called.

He isn’t going to Texas A&M after one season. Even if everything went our way and we ended up playing in the New Year’s Day ball and then beat a team like Oregon State. Maybe he would get a job at Mississippi State or Indiana not a school like Texas A&M. After a second year of success then yeah he will raise eyebrows.

Yeah, without his Mizzou experience he is NOT a candidate for some of these jobs yet, The fact that he did decent there makes him one. It could be argued that he was fired prematurely.

But I don't think he leaves us after one year. I believe he may be called.

That's what I've been trying to say.

He isn’t going to Texas A&M after one season. Even if everything went our way and we ended up playing in the New Year’s Day ball and then beat a team like Oregon State. Maybe he would get a job at Mississippi State or Indiana not a school like Texas A&M. After a second year of success then yeah he will raise eyebrows.

Correct and I don't think he takes a mid tier Big10 job like Indiana. Not knocking Indiana. I just think in the P4 world that job has a ceiling. (Not that UNLV doesn't as well)

Correct and I don't think he takes a mid tier Big10 job like Indiana. Not knocking Indiana. I just think in the P4 world that job has a ceiling. (Not that UNLV doesn't as well)
I agree and the ceiling at UNLV is a lot more palatable than it is at Indiana. Just look at Missouri he was fired because of one bad season. Those schools cycle through coaches as they all think they should be perennial bowl teams and competing for the conference. UNLV if you make a bowl 1 out of 3 years you would be a hero. I think he waits for that right job. Arkansas or Miss State make me nervous but unless we play and win New Years Day we will be safe one more year IMO.

Does anybody really know what’s in his heart and mind, know him personally?

Is he absolutely driven to win a national championship at a perennial power? Or one that has a very legitimate shot at it. Some people are but not all are. Some are ok with carving out a niche and having lifelong security in a place that they love.

Not saying what type he is, I honestly do not know - but my gut instinct says he’d want “more” in an area of the country he’s used to. That’s a pure guess though.

If I were in that position, give me the resources, fair pay … and a place I love to live, one where I know I could coach for 20 years … sign me up.

Is he absolutely driven to win a national championship at a perennial power? Or one that has a very legitimate shot at it. Some people are but not all are. Some are ok with carving out a niche and having lifelong security in a place that they love.

Not saying what type he is, I honestly do not know - but my gut instinct says he’d want “more” in an area of the country he’s used to. That’s a pure guess though.

If I were in that position, give me the resources, fair pay … and a place I love to live, one where I know I could coach for 20 years … sign me up.

Best comparison I can make regarding just schools.

Every school has a ceiling barring a T. Boone Pickens infusion of money like Oklahoma State.

What is UNLV's ceiling? Honestly I think a Boise State type run is possible. More desirable location vs Idaho (sorry Idaho).

Now take a mid Level P5 (I'm calling it that until it doesn't exist) job. I'll use Indiana again. What is Indiana's ceiling in football? 8-4 or 9-3 ish? Maybe break top 25 occasionally and then get teeth kicked in by Michigan and Ohio State?

Which job would you rather have?

We always mock the east coast people for not following west coast athletics, but the absolutely crazy disimissal of Michigan State blows my mind. They have had a rough 2 years, for sure--but before that they went to 15 bowls in 17 years, were top 5 at some point in 5 of those years, another 3 years in the top 10, and spent time in the top 25 for 13 of those 17 years. They were paying 9.5 million a year for Mel Tucker, who obviously has been a bit of a disaster given what's transpired after his inaugural B1G coach of the year award. They have the finances and the booster backing to pay that again--especially if Tucker gets fired for cause. In B1G country, they are very clearly second echelon in the B1G with Wisconsin and Iowa (and below the first tier of OSU/UM/PSU).
I dont think people are dismissing MSU because it cant be a winner. The complete Athletics department is a mess, down to poorly timed jokes on scoreboards during pregame warmups... Its not an attractive job right now because theres a lot of issues involving the department and the program that need to be resolved, not because its not a premier Big 10 program.

Reactions: Couev

Realistically, as the UNLV coach, you could have a successful year every 3-4 seasons and be here 20 years with multiple contract extensions...Under previous expectations, Like, you dont even need to win a conference title every season, just give us a bowl once in a while We're kind of desperate, lol...

Agreed with many in this thread, and was thinking the same as Joe. Who knows what Coach Odom's hopes or dreams really are with coaching. Most HC's want the opportunity to prove themselves, and many times, that translates into getting the highest profile, highest paying job available. In Odom's case, he has already been a head coach in the SEC, as well as DC for several teams. Now that he knows the pressures and difficulties of coaching a mid level team in a power conference, that may not be for him. Then again, he may feel like he didn't get the right opportunity before and wants to show what he can do, so who knows. I'm just happy to have a winning team right now, and hope that we can lock him down for a long time. If not, at least give him a good contract with a high buyout so UNLV will be in good shape if and when a big $ program comes to get him.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Best comparison I can make regarding just schools.

Every school has a ceiling barring a T. Boone Pickens infusion of money like Oklahoma State.

What is UNLV's ceiling? Honestly I think a Boise State type run is possible. More desirable location vs Idaho (sorry Idaho).

Now take a mid Level P5 (I'm calling it that until it doesn't exist) job. I'll use Indiana again. What is Indiana's ceiling in football? 8-4 or 9-3 ish? Maybe break top 25 occasionally and then get teeth kicked in by Michigan and Ohio State?

Which job would you rather have?
Would you rather have a ceiling of lower top 25 type ranking, but competing for conference championships, perhaps NY6 bowls or an outside shot at a playoff at large. Or Have a ceiling of lower top 25 type ranking. Never competing for championships. Likely never in the convo for a NY6 or playoff, though technically possible.

School B will pay much more, but have a much shorter leash. You will also likely get fired at some point for performing slightly lower than your ceiling.

School A: security for life, making maybe 40% of the other contract, but no state tax, and a great city to be local famous.

Would you rather have a ceiling of lower top 25 type ranking, but competing for conference championships, perhaps NY6 bowls or an outside shot at a playoff at large. Or Have a ceiling of lower top 25 type ranking. Never competing for championships. Likely never in the convo for a NY6 or playoff, though technically possible.

School B will pay much more, but have a much shorter leash. You will also likely get fired at some point for performing slightly lower than your ceiling.

School A: security for life, making maybe 40% of the other contract, but no state tax, and a great city to be local famous.
Under the 6 and 6 format that's a much better argument than the 5 and 7 that the P4 conferences are pushing right now. However, I do like the reasoning of the position--you definitely have a better chance of making a playoff in a good MWC year than you do most years as an Indiana or Mississippi State. Having to beat Boise, Fresno, Air Force, and SJSU is a much better proposition than having to beat Michigan, OSU, Penn State or TAMU, Bama, Auburn, and LSU.

That's why I contend just be he ends up on a rumors list doesn't mean he's instantly gone because they pay more. He's not a first time HC, he's been in the big leagues so I don't think getting back to a P5 job is a 100% motivating factor this year.

Under the 6 and 6 format that's a much better argument than the 5 and 7 that the P4 conferences are pushing right now. However, I do like the reasoning of the position--you definitely have a better chance of making a playoff in a good MWC year than you do most years as an Indiana or Mississippi State. Having to beat Boise, Fresno, Air Force, and SJSU is a much better proposition than having to beat Michigan, OSU, Penn State or TAMU, Bama, Auburn, and LSU.
Hell, we are still in the conversation for a NY6 bowl THIS year, with 2 losses and a very weak schedule. I don't think we make it, but it shows you how even in the MW you don't have to be perfect for a big bowl.

I think this is what gets lost in all of the speculation. It really boils down to what he and his family want. Does he even like living here? He was an odd choice geographically. If he and his family don’t like it here, he’ll take the first job that comes open. Whether that is Texas A&M, Mississippi St or any other job that pays him as much as he gets here.

On the other hand, if he and his family love it here, then he can be as picky as he wants to be when it comes down to other opportunities including becoming a Chris Ault or Sonny Lubick type and becomes a lifer here. That could be very appealing especially if he feels that UNLV could grow into a P4 candidate down the line.

At the end of the day, unless anybody here has answers to the above questions, I don’t think we can discount any opportunity that comes along, Indiana or otherwise. In today’s landscape anything can and does happen in the coaching carousel.

He won't be a candidate for A&M. They have big pockets and they are going to steal successful HC's from proven programs. Unless they have to go cheap this time around, because they certainly dug a whole with Jimbo thing really hit their pocket books.

But still, I'm sure they are looking at some pretty big fish. Dabo maybe?

He won't be a candidate for A&M. They have big pockets and they are going to steal successful HC's from proven programs. Unless they have to go cheap this time around, because they certainly dug a whole with Jimbo thing really hit their pocket books.

possibly the Oregon HC also, Dan Lanning

Reactions: dcut03
Honestly though, why would you want to go to A&M these days? Money is probably the main reason. Other than that, you're in a brutal conference, and the expectations are much higher than most other places.

Who knows what the admin is like at the school otherwise, but looking at their history, they have literally only had 1 season with 10 or more wins since 2000. In 2012, they went 11-2. Every other year has been 9 or fewer wins in the regular season.

And the SEC West also has:
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
LSU
Mississippi St.
Arkansas

Not to mention the SEC East, which has Georgia, Missouri, TN, Florida, etc.

That's a murderers row of teams to compete against every year, and as T A&M has shown, they're not okay with 8-9 wins in a season. It's a tough spot

Honestly though, why would you want to go to A&M these days? Money is probably the main reason. Other than that, you're in a brutal conference, and the expectations are much higher than most other places.

Who knows what the admin is like at the school otherwise, but looking at their history, they have literally only had 1 season with 10 or more wins since 2000. In 2012, they went 11-2. Every other year has been 9 or fewer wins in the regular season.

And the SEC West also has:
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
LSU
Mississippi St.
Arkansas

Not to mention the SEC East, which has Georgia, Missouri, TN, Florida, etc.

That's a murderers row of teams to compete against every year, and as T A&M has shown, they're not okay with 8-9 wins in a season. It's a tough spot
No A&M fan will admit this, but they are scared sh!tless of UT joining the SEC.
They have been able to take over the Texas HS recruiting crown a little from Texas since the move to the SEC, but UT has much more potential and have closed the gap or surpassed them again already. They were relegated to second tier status in the old Big 12 and are worried that will happen again. Well they are basically second tier in the SEC already, but at least they were better than Texas which made them happy. But Texas will likely overtake them again.
So I see another superstar HC to fill Jumbo's shoes, to desperately try to keep up with the Joneses.

What would I rather have?

If I was Odom's age I would want to get a P4 opportunity that had a possibility of contending for a National Championship within two to three years. I'd want to test myself against the best. I'd learn my lesson about taking a lower level P4 job ( Missouri) and wait for a middle to top tier job. I would only go to a P4 job where the AD was well established, respected and young enough to stay.

In the meantime I'd coach for $2 mill+ a year at a program where I could get a shot at the conference championship two of three years. Where I could have a 5 win year and not fear firing. Where I got along with the AD. Where I had a chance to coach my son and he may actually play. Where the town liked me.

What would I rather have?

If I was Odom's age I would want to get a P4 opportunity that had a possibility of contending for a National Championship within two to three years. I'd want to test myself against the best. I'd learn my lesson about taking a lower level P4 job ( Missouri) and wait for a middle to top tier job. I would only go to a P4 job where the AD was well established, respected and young enough to stay.

In the meantime I'd coach for $2 mill+ a year at a program where I could get a shot at the conference championship two of three years. Where I could have a 5 win year and not fear firing. Where I got along with the AD. Where I had a chance to coach my son and he may actually play. Where the town liked me.
Agreed with most of it, except the 5 win part. We got to 5 wins with each of our previous 2 coaches, and they both got fired. If we're paying top dollar (for the MWC), we need to be winning more than 5 games on a yearly basis. If you said 7 wins (depending on who we schedule OOC), I think I'd agree with you that you'd probably not fear getting fired.

Agreed with most of it, except the 5 win part. We got to 5 wins with each of our previous 2 coaches, and they both got fired. If we're paying top dollar (for the MWC), we need to be winning more than 5 games on a yearly basis. If you said 7 wins (depending on who we schedule OOC), I think I'd agree with you that you'd probably not fear getting fired.
I don't think one 5 win season should get a coach fired. Especially when the previous season was 8/9 wins.

I don't think one 5 win season should get a coach fired. Especially when the previous season was 8/9 wins.
I'm not saying it should get them fired, but with as weak as the conference is right now, and with OOC games, we really shouldn't win fewer than 6-7 games per year. As it stands now, we should be beating the following teams most years:
UNR
New Mexico
Hawaii

The next tier of teams may depend on the season, but we are trending towards beating them annually
Colorado St
Utah St.

Maybe San Diego State falls into that last group, but even as is, that should be 4-5 wins in conference each year. Throw in the 50/50 games against SJSU, Wyoming, FSU, and IMO, it's reasonable to expect UNLV to win 7 games per year, on the low end, assuming we have a good HC. If UNLV manages to put together a decent NIL package, we could be near the top of the MWC every year in football the way things look right now.

Clemson has “underachieved” the last three years I would be surprised. I wonder where Jimbo goes I bet he is a smaller school candidate now.

Clemson has “underachieved” the last three years I would be surprised. I wonder where Jimbo goes I bet he is a smaller school candidate now.
What Dabo has been able to do out of the ACC is quite remarkable. I think he could shine in the SEC.
But the stories are actually pretty similar to Jimbo, Sweeney just had more sustained success.

Unless I knew I was going to have a long leash to turn a program around, I wouldn't want anything to do with the SEC bottom feeders... you're telling me I have to rebuild a program competing against Bama, Georgia, LSU, and other regional challengers like FSU/Clemson... and do it in less than 3 years.. no thanks, not right after I just left that area, I guess unless A&M type deal comes to my desk

Just read on the sewer twitter (X) that Denver Broncos are looking at Odom for a position. Very suspect source ( Boise Fan) but it brings up a wrinkle I hadn't considered. A jump to a pro job.

• Wow
What Dabo has been able to do out of the ACC is quite remarkable. I think he could shine in the SEC.
But the stories are actually pretty similar to Jimbo, Sweeney just had more sustained success.
It is especially since they had done nothing prior to his arrival for decades.

Reactions: dcut03
Just read on the sewer twitter (X) that Denver Broncos are looking at Odom for a position. Very suspect source ( Boise Fan) but it brings up a wrinkle I hadn't considered. A jump to a pro job.
I wouldn’t worry about this Vance Joseph is the DC and the Broncos D is not a problem right but the offense is questionable so it doesn’t make sense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT