ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Odom

Haven't you learned anything this year? You don't hire a first year OC simply because he was with the last guy. No, you keep it going by now having a very attractive opening for a proven HC. Being the HC is a whole different level of responsibility and tasks that OCs might not be cut out to do.
I love what he’s done with the offense. It’s innovative and has complexities but was easy enough for the players to understand and work out.

But damn, the responsibilities of a HC vs a coordinator … huge difference. Not saying he can’t do it, just saying it’s a risk.

Odom and staff are responsible for the development of this group of young men. They have worked hard for all of their coaches. Honestly, our record is a mirage until we take down Wyoming, Air Force and Fresno. This staff has developed a young team into an experienced offensive machine and the defense is not far behind. This makes me want a P5 league offer, not new coaches.

USC's defense hasnt't exactly been "good" this year. I doubt Brian gets the call over Barry.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Odom and staff are responsible for the development of this group of young men. They have worked hard for all of their coaches. Honestly, our record is a mirage until we take down Wyoming, Air Force and Fresno. This staff has developed a young team into an experienced offensive machine and the defense is not far behind. This makes me want a P5 league offer, not new coaches.
“Honestly, our record is a mirage until we take down Wyoming, Air Force and Fresno.”
Agree. I believe our wins have been against teams with losing records? (I don’t have the time to fact check that at this moment.) Need some wins against winning teams. That’s why the Fresno loss is so painful (among a number of other reasons).

Agree. I believe our wins have been against teams with losing records? (I don’t have the time to fact check that at this moment.) Need some wins against winning teams. That’s why the Fresno loss is so painful (among a number of other reasons).
IDGAF, and here’s why. My 42 years of watching UNLV football games are LITTERED with losses to teams with losing records. How many seasons in the last 42 years could have been bowl seasons had we just beat teams with losing records? I’m going to venture a guess and say every 5-7 season we’ve ever had included loses to teams with losing records.

Seriously? That's the take? How many years and staffs couldn't even beat the other really bad teams on the schedule? They don't need to prove anything except that they're hungry and not satisfied with just winning enough for a good record...

IDGAF, and here’s why. My 42 years of watching UNLV football games are LITTERED with losses to teams with losing records. How many seasons in the last 42 years could have been bowl seasons had we just beat teams with losing records? I’m going to venture a guess and say every 5-7 season we’ve ever had included loses to teams with losing records.
UNLV plays a similar schedule year in and year out and we end up with being mathematically eliminated from any postseason by the end of September.

This schedule is the “same” as previously. And they’re succeeding. Put this team in a power conference and they’re probably not 500. But that’s not what we are dealing with. You can only play the hand you’re dealt. Yes, we’ve beating some bad teams, but those were teams we’d MAYBE win 50% of games against, and they’d be squeaker wins or flukes. UNLV is manhandling them.

I still don’t think this team is great and TBH, I don’t even think this team is a true top 25. That said, you are given a set of work to do and all you can do is the best you can do with it. If the chips fall a certain way, you can climb into rankings. I welcome them if they come, whether we are a true top 25 or not.

But for me it goes beyond that. I rely on the eyes … first off, they’ve improved dramatically over the course of the season. Things became smoother. Things became more consistent. Perfect? No. But it sure as hell wasn’t slow growth, it was very fast.

We’ve gone from knowing we won’t win unless there is a tremendous turnover discrepancy or we are overlooked or the football God’s decided to throw us a bone that day … to knowing we can win, knowing we should win …

That’s a monumental shift.

Looks like Bobby P will be looking for a new job... interesting to see the vacuum this creates as they go after a big splashy name

Yup, He chose to ride the Texas A&M Hog over the Rebel Scooter and once again he laid the Hog down on the Pavement! SMDH

bobbypetrinojpg-870e259ff6d85508.jpg

Haven't you learned anything this year? You don't hire a first year OC simply because he was with the last guy. No, you keep it going by now having a very attractive opening for a proven HC. Being the HC is a whole different level of responsibility and tasks that OCs might not be cut out to do.
Well attendance has grown and the way things have gone it’s going to continue. We’re not use to that. I say take that money and invest it into the coaching staff. So the coaches will rather stay here than leave for a P5. I feel like we’re on the verge of some great years.at least we are pointing in that direction.

Reactions: rebelzzz
Yeah, that's the scary opening that I didn't want to see this off-season... Hopefully they try a big splashy name vs recruiting Odom back home... like Fisher will be looking for a job, lol

Gus Malzahn front runner early reports.

But yeah this is the level of P5 job that scares me. Michigan State type is another. Not so much the Vandy/Northwestern's of the world.

Arkansas is an interesting job for BO. But trying to hire a former member of the staff you just fired doesn't happen often. Now arkansas did get worse once he left. But they weren't exactly killing it when he was there.
The fact that BO has killed it as a HC does mean something.
Let's hope we keep winning they make a move for Malzahn everyone stays happy!

I love what he’s done with the offense. It’s innovative and has complexities but was easy enough for the players to understand and work out.

But damn, the responsibilities of a HC vs a coordinator … huge difference. Not saying he can’t do it, just saying it’s a risk.
You have to almost HAVE to give him the job. NO MORE resets. Unless you can find another CBO situation . Then u run into the same thing a year or 2 latter. We have all the tools to win here so it speeds up the process and with our past history every GOOD season is going to have ALL EYES on our HC.

I’m more worried about the lack fan support by way of attendance as a reason for Odom to bolt. He seems to care deeply about having strong home field support and if folks won’t show up perhaps he’s more likely to decide to move on to a more traditional college environment. I think he’ll give it one more year but if the team is duplicating wins next season and we’re still sitting at 20k+ fans per game I’ll be much less confident that he’ll stick around.

I’m more worried about the lack fan support by way of attendance as a reason for Odom to bolt. He seems to care deeply about having strong home field support and if folks won’t show up perhaps he’s more likely to decide to move on to a more traditional college environment. I think he’ll give it one more year but if the team is duplicating wins next season and we’re still sitting at 20k+ fans per game I’ll be much less confident that he’ll stick around.
He's also knows the program history so Im not sure not having great attendance is a reason why he'd bolt after 1 year...
Its going to come down to 2 things, 1 we cant control...
A- The opening, he will be very selective and it will need to be a great culture and strong Athletic department that is willing to let him do his thing
B- Cash, and if thats enough of a motivator

At this point of the season - a lot left to go …. But he has to be in consideration for coach of the year nationally. Maybe not at the top of the list, but has to be in the discussion, no?
He's only winning coach of the year IF the Rebels win their last 2, win the MW title AND their bowl game. When we win this Saturday, the MW COY should be wrapped up.

He's only winning coach of the year IF the Rebels win their last 2, win the MW title AND their bowl game. When we win this Saturday, the MW COY should be wrapped up.
The most important thing, UNLV found its Coach. He is a blue collar, tough and inspiring individual that UNLV need to lead their young student athletes. Did you hear Straight A's in academic and sports?

I just love his approach to coaching young men. Treats them like men and doesn’t shy away from each man earning his reps. If we can lock him down for 5 years UNLV will receive a P4 invite. I truly believe he can have that kind of impact. UNLV should look at Odom as an investment that could yield a very high return and approach retaining him from that perspective.

I just love his approach to coaching young men. Treats them like men and doesn’t shy away from each man earning his reps. If we can lock him down for 5 years UNLV will receive a P4 invite. I truly believe he can have that kind of impact. UNLV should look at Odom as an investment that could yield a very high return and approach retaining him from that perspective.
I like all of this post!

No one wants Michigan State

Right at the moment, probably not.

But with Michigan flirting with some trouble...Now might not be the worst time.

It's not a great job, but you can win there. Its been done. Could consistently get into the top 25.

I think it has a higher ceiling than just about anybody in the Big10 outside of Michigan, Ohio State and a couple of the new additions.

Higher than say NW, Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana possibly Iowa.

But yeah, right now it's a mess.

It's not a great job, but you can win there. Its been done. Could consistently get into the top 25.

I think it has a higher ceiling than just about anybody in the Big10 outside of Michigan, Ohio State and a couple of the new additions.

I think a really good job in that conference would be Wisconsin. They have been struggling the last 4 years, but have a really good upside with great fans!

While Michigan St is a bit of a dumpster fire right now, offering someone $100m tends to make a candidate look past a lot of the issues there currently. Don’t think they’d offer Odom that, but even half of that is a place we just can’t touch right now. At the end of the day, I think it really just depends on what his priorities and goals are. He’s already coached in the SEC so I could see him being perfectly content being here and not dealing with those types of expectations right now. On the other hand, he may ultimately look at a job like Mississippi St as an opportunity to prove himself once and for all.

While Michigan St is a bit of a dumpster fire right now, offering someone $100m tends to make a candidate look past a lot of the issues there currently. Don’t think they’d offer Odom that, but even half of that is a place we just can’t touch right now. At the end of the day, I think it really just depends on what his priorities and goals are. He’s already coached in the SEC so I could see him being perfectly content being here and not dealing with those types of expectations right now. On the other hand, he may ultimately look at a job like Mississippi St as an opportunity to prove himself once and for all.

Well put.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT