ADVERTISEMENT

Another Pac12 Merger Rumor with a Twist

Right before I read that one sentence about media rights I'm thinking how the hell is that going to work with media rights.

"Dellenger did highlight the issues that could arise if the divisions are paid different media rights amounts with relegation a possibility."

How will the media partners define the value as a whole or do they have two distinct media contracts. If you do that then what the hell is the difference if you just let the Pac2 rebuild their conference and steal some MWC teams.

Somebody is trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

You beat me to it. I was going to share this article but got busy at work.

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think it will happen.

The TV partners would have to likely have to be the same ones in each league, and be OK with the potential market fluctuation if the leagues get different cuts. I can see that potentially working out OK.

OSU and WAZZU would open themselves up to being relegated, which feels like a tough sell for them. Right now they would easily be the best 2 teams in the MW. (Fresno could have a say in that), but still.

You beat me to it. I was going to share this article but got busy at work.

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think it will happen.

The TV partners would have to likely have to be the same ones in each league, and be OK with the potential market fluctuation if the leagues get different cuts. I can see that potentially working out OK.

OSU and WAZZU would open themselves up to being relegated, which feels like a tough sell for them. Right now they would easily be the best 2 teams in the MW. (Fresno could have a say in that), but still.
My guess is that it's OSU and WSU that are pushing for that sort of scenario. It would likely keep out the bottom dwellers of the MWC from joining their upper echelon league. I actually like the concept, but it would be a hard sell to the teams that are typically at the bottom, especially if there is a difference in the annual payouts depending on which tier you fall into. That makes it tough for programs to figure out their budgets, pay coaches, etc, if you could possibly get demoted and make significantly less money.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
My guess is that it's OSU and WSU that are pushing for that sort of scenario. It would likely keep out the bottom dwellers of the MWC from joining their upper echelon league. I actually like the concept, but it would be a hard sell to the teams that are typically at the bottom, especially if there is a difference in the annual payouts depending on which tier you fall into. That makes it tough for programs to figure out their budgets, pay coaches, etc, if you could possibly get demoted and make significantly less money.
I can see the bottom division earning less than what we are earning now. We won't get 9 presidents to go along with that.

I can see the bottom division earning less than what we are earning now. We won't get 9 presidents to go along with that.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well. Doesn't make sense for them to do it and have a pay cut. If the new scenario gives the lower tier at least as much as they're getting now, then maybe, but I'm not sure how you would know for sure until after the merger takes place. Maybe they could get some preliminary numbers, but IDK

IMO this is a terrible idea for the PAC/MWC and based on greed. It would end up creating another class system for D-1 athletics with P4, the G5 and next the unworthy.

Now if they wanted to use this system for all of D-1 football I would be for it. You could have the top 48 and/or 64 and then everyone else for example. I would be for that! If you win you move up. If you lose you move down.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
IMO this is a terrible idea for the PAC/MWC and based on greed. It would end up creating another class system for D-1 athletics with P4, the G5 and next the unworthy.
Just for playoff qualification, if they did this and had equal revenue sharing, that would make it cleaner. That's for sure.

But I don't think that is the point to be honest. I think it is a way they can merge/reverse merge with the MW but demote the lower revenue generating schools.

I do think UNLV is one of the bigger fanbases in the league in terms of TV viewership. If you look at the CBS distribution on games, it does seem like UNLV gets more than it's fair share. CBS gets first dibs, then it goes to FS1. Obviously more basketball than football. But even with football.

Last edited:
Cant wait for the inevitable APR score being used as a tie breaker for several schools that are tied and costing someone millions of dollars due to relegation...

If this requires 18 or 20 teams I don't see that there are enough teams available thet have a stadium that is the required size.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT