ADVERTISEMENT

Another historic loss for Tony Shanchez

gorebs97

UNLV Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
He might not make it to the end of the year. Another embarrassing loss.

He might not make it to the end of the year. Another embarrassing loss.
He's gonna make it through the year, through the next. I don't see it changing. I could be wrong. But there was a conditional money infusion into the program, he's got some good players and to be honest - he's got some really good young skill players.

Reactions: 530Rebel
The blame goes on CTS only inasmuch that he is the one responsible for the coordinators. Barney "This works, so let's do something else" Cotton and Ken "Never knew a head coach I couldn't get fired" Baer have got to go. I think Tony brings too many positives to the program to allow bullshit like his coordinators trot out there to bring him down.

Seems like we are handcuffed by the contract so we will continue to see HS mistakes. Shouldn't be a surprise. I'm guessing our new AD isn't extremely pleased with the fact that she inherited a FB program led by a HS coach, and if she can't do anything about it that has got to be even more frustrating than who the current coach is.

The blame goes on CTS only inasmuch that he is the one responsible for the coordinators. Barney "This works, so let's do something else" Cotton and Ken "Never knew a head coach I couldn't get fired" Baer have got to go. I think Tony brings too many positives to the program to allow bullshit like his coordinators trot out there to bring him down.
Both guys are what we can afford. It’s not like we can pay good ones

M

Trolll. Umm. Why are you even on this site ? You are still still do not get it look at the stats. Um you waist my time. You are gone.
Troll,no. Disappointed fan,yes. I can not be as optimistic as you. The program is getting better recruits but still shitty coaching. So we have a more talented team underachieving and showing no heart.

I would put this more on Sanchez than the coordinators. The past seasons Sanchez hasn't always taken his coordinators advice on situations. He wanted it done his way. I doubt if anything has changed. Cotton can't be all that bad after all the successful years he had at Nebraska. Do you really think he became a terrible play caller once he came to UNLV?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Troll,no. Disappointed fan,yes. I can not be as optimistic as you. The program is getting better recruits but still shitty coaching. So we have a more talented team underachieving and showing no heart.

Yes, I said we were getting better. And we are. With Sanford or Hauck at the helm, we would have never had the talent and never taken an early lead.

BUT - I id say that our defense was atrocious and I never said we were good. I said we were better. Big difference.

That said, this loss is squarely on the coaching staff. I was wondering when Bayno/Rice started coaching our football team because this is their M.O.: take lead on talent, then give it up because you cant coach, motivate, and make adjustments.

Yes, I said we were getting better. And we are. With Sanford or Hauck at the helm, we would have never had the talent and never taken an early lead.

BUT - I id say that our defense was atrocious and I never said we were good. I said we were better. Big difference.

That said, this loss is squarely on the coaching staff. I was wondering when Bayno/Rice started coaching our football team because this is their M.O.: take lead on talent, then give it up because you cant coach, motivate, and make adjustments.
So fumbling and bumbling, dropping critical easy passes - they didn't play a role in the loss or stemming the tide?

I've rarely seen losses that are because of one reason. I get it that the staff will ultimately get the blame, they're paid, it's their program. But to make it sound like the players didn't make critical mistakes that had zero to do with coaching..... come on, man. There's plenty to go around.

So fumbling and bumbling, dropping critical easy passes - they didn't play a role in the loss or stemming the tide?

I've rarely seen losses that are because of one reason. I get it that the staff will ultimately get the blame, they're paid, it's their program. But to make it sound like the players didn't make critical mistakes that had zero to do with coaching..... come on, man. There's plenty to go around.

I could not agree more. It is beyond me to understand how the team went from giant killers to what happened in the second half. Epic!!!

The Trolll thang was a bit harsh. My apology. Was seriously pissed after the epic loss. [cheers]

Sanchez will at least get one more year after this. I imagine we will get 5 wins this year which will still be an improvement.. If he losses all the rest of the games this year and we lose to Reno? only in that scenario will the seat get hot !!

Sanchez will at least get one more year after this. I imagine we will get 5 wins this year which will still be an improvement.. If he losses all the rest of the games this year and we lose to Reno? only in that scenario will the seat get hot !!

I think he will be back no matter what happens. He is brokered in. I just hope he will call timeouts on the 12 yard line before the half. So frustrating.

Reno will probably beat us. They are getting better. They beat Hawaii last week. They almost won at CSU last night. The game is up there in the cold weather. We are screwed.

I consider this game to be a depth and conditioning loss.
Being on the road in Colorado, the team had a great start but seemed the get winded eventually being a step behind in the physical game. Frustrating loss.

Agreed. Very disappointing. That game would have balanced the Howard thang.

Being on the road in Colorado, the team had a great start but seemed the get winded eventually being a step behind in the physical game. Frustrating loss.
We played a team required to do drills everyday and have to be up by 5am daily. Add academic requirements. They gave us a 27 point cushion. No excuses!

That's the reason AFA wasn't worried. Grown men. Mature. Disciplined. Stick with game plan.

Could not agree more. Mommy would not save them. I wonder if the recruiting should consider that in the "change the culture" thang. Nay. Just a thought. Forget stars and get winners. Guess I am a dumb ass fan.

Could not agree more. Mommy would not save them. I wonder if the recruiting should consider that in the "change the culture" thang. Nay. Just a thought. Forget stars and get winners. Guess I am a dumb ass fan.
It's one of those things. You can't substitute for it. I have nothing but respect for the Armed Forces. They're a different breed. Self reliant, disciplined, accountable..... not an indictment on our guys... they just got something most others their age don't have or if they do, it's at a different level.

It's one of those things. You can't substitute for it. I have nothing but respect for the Armed Forces. They're a different breed. Self reliant, disciplined, accountable..... not an indictment on our guys... they just got something most others their age don't have or if they do, it's at a different level.

I wonder if tony said " when you here the enemy closing do you get scared or pissed. I think we know.

That's the reason AFA wasn't worried. Grown men. Mature. Disciplined. Stick with game plan.
The week before I think they almost came back against Army as well.

Like you, I have nothing but respect for the service academies. They don’t appear to be dirty at all and I know that my future freedom is in their hands.

Exactly what I have been preaching on twitter. Baer and Cotton have allowed the game to pass them. Frankly, they are dinosaurs and their game-planning is extinct. Fire them right after the unr game OR, if all goes according to my vision, after the bowl game. Yes, I still believe that this team can make a bowl...

I see your point but you’d be surprised about how certain coaching styles will do to an athlete psyche that can actually prevent the fumbling bumbling drops from happening. With the right mentality in game situations.

Only thing that made any sense

I see your point but you’d be surprised about how certain coaching styles will do to an athlete psyche that can actually prevent the fumbling bumbling drops from happening. With the right mentality in game situations.
Eh. Yeah, it can. But it shouldn't. If it does, it's a severe mental weakness. These guys have competed their whole lives. Yes, there's a psychology to it and it can have an impact. But catching a ball? Losing focus on the basics? That's on the player in my book. I have a hard time blaming missed free throws on coaching. That's a problem. Steve Sax not being able to throw is on him, not the coaching. Dropping passes.... on the player.

Only Hughes & has the experience of playing a full game at high elevation on defense.
Offense you have a freshman QB and a single returning starter at WR doing the same thing.
I saw a team that played fast and dominated early but became physically exhausted in the second half versus the power it down the throat style of offense Air Force deploys.
Hopefully they can grab the 4 wins on the remaining schedule to get bowl eligible.
I will say, the feast or famine style of running game makes things rough when needing to control the clock.

Well, the season isnt over - still a lot to play for.

Son, days like this are good for building character!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT